NHL Is Bobby Orr’s goal the greatest moment in NHL history? UPDATE 12/16- Orr loses to Mario's 5 goals

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Since a Penguins player won it, the prize awarded to the organisation closest tied to the winner has been updated from [nothing] to [first overall pick in draft of your choice, preferably in connection to threats of relocation]

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Silly...and somehow a nothing empty net goal becomes part of the reason he won...

Just watched the video when they presented it, and they showed the four first goals but skipped the empty-netter. One was deflected off a defender’s skate, one was deflected/kicked in by Mario himself (after a good shorthanded effort, but nevermind that). Amazing indeed.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is a MOMENT

25446389_10213887221667401_599593469472211184_n.jpg

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Trying to edit my post above but everytime I hit the "edit" button the screen turns white...

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I hate Pittsburgh for several reasons.
1) Samuelson
2)Cooke
3)Stealing our colors
4)Mario the phony
and I'm sure I'll think of more but I worked today and I'm tired so **** you =Pittsburh and especially Mario LePuke

The 1st 3 bang on.
#4 not even close

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
The 1st 3 bang on.
#4 not even close
He is a phony because of the crap that he was spewing about the league being (whatever he was complaining about) a few years ago. I think that it was talented players getting laid up by bums like Cooke and the league not dealing with it appropriately. He IS a phony and a hypocrite!

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Orr goal is a sacred moment in Bruins history and I feared this would happen which is why I started the thread.

That said the only real drama concerning the Orr goal was are the Bruins going to win the Cup at home or do they have to go back to St. Louis for Game 5. I can make a case for several NHL moments greater than Bobby - but Mario isn't on the list.

The Patrick Kane OT goal that won the Cup in 2010 for Chicago breaking a 49 year drought has to be considered but was tarnished as nobody knew for 5 seconds that the game was over.

Maurice Richard scoring in OT against Jim Henry? No film exists but we have the photo of the handshake.
richard0902.jpg

Bill Barilko in 1951? Again no video as TV was a year away.
barilko.jpg.size.custom.crop.789x650.jpg

No offense to Mario but if 5 goals are a moment - then what about this night???????????????

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
The Orr goal is a sacred moment in Bruins history and I feared this would happen which is why I started the thread.

That said the only real drama concerning the Orr goal was are the Bruins going to win the Cup at home or do they have to go back to St. Louis for Game 5. I can make a case for several NHL moments greater than Bobby - but Mario isn't on the list.

The Patrick Kane OT goal that won the Cup in 2010 for Chicago breaking a 49 year drought has to be considered but was tarnished as nobody knew for 5 seconds that the game was over.

Maurice Richard scoring in OT against Jim Henry? No film exists but we have the photo of the handshake.
richard0902.jpg

No offense to Mario but if 5 goals are a moment - then what about this night???????????????

The Barliko goal was amazing and shortly after I believe he died in a plane crash. Another amazing goal was the Bobby Baun 1964 OT winner against the Wing's and he scored the goal on a broken leg. Those are moments that will always be in the minds of hockey fans.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

richard0902.jpg

Rocket Richard/Sugar Jim Henry has to be best hockey picture ever.

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Chara says what all of us think

As part of the NHL celebrating its 100th anniversary, fans were asked to vote for the league’s greatest moment during a six-week interactive program. It came down to Bobby’s Orr Stanley Cup-clinching goal in the 1970 finals against Mario Lemieux’s five goals in five different ways on Dec. 31, 1988.It was announced Saturday night that Lemieux won. That’s a travesty for Bruins fans. Even captain Zdeno Chara was asked to pick between those two moments and here’s what he had to say:

“It’s a pretty tough one, obviously. Both are very exceptional. But, just the meaning of the moment, or what was happening and if you’re talking about a deciding goal in the Stanley Cup finals, you have to go with Bobby Orr’s goal. It’s one goal that will always be remembered. Just like (Bobby) Nystrom’s goal with the Islanders (1980), those goals are always remembered forever.

“No disrespect, or not to overlook Mario’s five-goal game, but just the meaning of (Orr’s) one goal, if you were to ask Mario he’d probably trade those five goals for one goal that would give him another Stanley Cup. In my opinion, it’s pretty self-explanatory that Bobby Orr is the (top) moment.”

NHL Notes: Stanley Cup artifacts; Orr snubbed Paywall

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

rickizbruin

Feb 7, 2010
ONTARIO
Its number 4 all the way. he is the reason someone from the great white north became a bruins fan. an amazing moment captured by the one picture. someone mentioned the henderson goal which if your Canadian was a patriotic moment, and the players were all NHL stars but it was a national moment not an NHL moment. its like when the USA won the gold medal in the olympics. not an NHL moment.

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
They were talking about how the five goal thing would never be repeated and after the CBJ game I can see McAvoy, Heinen and DeBrusk doing it on the same night...

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Gretzky still sees Orr’s 1970 Cup-winning goal as a top NHL moment

Growing up in Brantford, Ontario, Wayne Gretzky always heard his father, Walter, wax poetic about Bill Barilko’s 1951 Stanley Cup-winning goal for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

“We didn’t really even have TV back then and there was kind of clips of it, there was kind of pictures of it — moments of it, so to speak,” Gretzky said.

At age 9, Gretzky watched in the same kind of awe as Bobby Orr scored in overtime to win the Cup in 1970 for the Boston Bruins. Orr beat St. Louis Blues goaltender Glenn Hall, leaping through the air to celebrate what has become the most iconic goal in NHL history.

“People from the ’50s and ’60s remember the Barilko goal and then the new generation of kids who got to see the goal like myself could relate to what our parents and grandparents were talking about,” Gretzky said. “Time sort of stopped in a moment that you could compare something so unique.”

Reactions: Olden McGroin

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Yes Orr is still the # 1

I was at the game when Gretzky scored his 77th. Buffalo Sabres at Memorial Auditorium on Feb. 24, 1982

-Konstantinov getting the cup from Yzerman
-The Kings crazy comeback scoring 5 goals, to win 6-5
-Gordie Howe in the All Star game with Gretzky
-Bobby Baun, broken leg goal, comes back and scores the winner
-Plante wearing a mask, he took a risk from management by using it, they were against it
-Lester Patrick playing goal as a 40 plus coach, no back ups in those days but they could use anyone from the crowd, opposing coach said no to the Sens guy watching the game and Patrick put on the bloody equipment himself, he only let in one goal
- Maurice Richard first to score 50, I know it's the Habs but "The Rocket" is a great movie
- I remember watching the Isles OT goal by Lalalalalafontaine, crazy game
-1964: Terry Sawchuk sets all-time shutout mark, (he is a distant relative)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad