Is Barkov leading Selke race?

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Would love to see Barkov get some recognition from the league and really get out of his underrated bubble. I think he's a finalist, but I guess Kesler is leading the pack as of right now.

Barkov will be a Selke winner sooner or later, that's for sure.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Would love to see Barkov get some recognition from the league and really get out of his underrated bubble. I think he's a finalist, but I guess Kesler is leading the pack as of right now.

I'm not sure does such Bubble even exist, but I agree with last sentence.

ADD: For example case of Jagr. Despite the fact he is the Legend (nearing his prime :sarcasm:) he is, he still needs pretty good play maker to his line to be able to contribute in level he has done. Nothing comes from the vacuum of isolation, not even for Jaromir. If he has managed to elevate Barkov's game, it surely goes to way around too. If that constitutes the bubble...

Last edited:

rinne

Oct 10, 2016
Tampere
I'm not sure does such Bubble even exist, but I agree with last sentence.
It does in a way. I think people are giving him the credit out of his defencive game which is great. But I do also think that offensive side of Barkov's game still gets underrated among people who haven't watched him regularly. You can see it pretty well when people compare Barkov to Eichel or Matthews or Laine for example. It seems like people don't understand that Barkov's draft year was offensively more impressive than Laine's for example (FEL's regular season at least since Barkov got injured in Playoffs in game5). Some people seem to be either ignoring or underrating the offensive game Barkov has. He is good goal scorer (~30-35 goals in a season is not out of question) and great passer/playmaker. You just can't see it currently from stats since it seems like Griffith has no idea how to put the puck in the net and Jagr is not doing too great either.

For the topic I think Kesler is the frontrunner for Selke right now. Barkov is in the top3 this season though. If Barkov can keep his pace up through the spring it will be interesting to see if Barkov has enough reputation to be at least nominated. With his play now he should be especially when the normal candidates are having down years.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
If not this season, then its next season. Guy is a beast and only starting to heat up. What a steal at 2nd overall!

Crazy thing is, he was a *little* bit of a reach at #2 too. He was basically the consensus #4. Now it's hard to have him anywhere but #1.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo

He plays in Florida. He'll probably be underrated for his entire career.

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
Yes. He's quite easily leading currently. And if his closest competitors are Bergeron/Kesler then there's about million years between them.

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
It's a bit of a reputation award. Barkov likely won't win this year but he's earning his reputation points that will quite possibly make him the winner in the future. He's already established himself as a two-way force and his offensive numbers are pretty much as good as they get among players deemed Selke-worthy. It'll be very, very easy to vote for him in a year or two.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I suggest you look up how it's awarded, because the bolded really doesn't happen.

I'm aware of how it's been awarded, thanks. That doesn't change the definition. From NHL.com:

"The Frank J. Selke Trophy is an annual award given to the forward who best excels in the defensive aspects of the game."

No mention of offense. So, voters who use that as a criteria are not doing it right, in my opinion.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Crazy thing is, he was a *little* bit of a reach at #2 too. He was basically the consensus #4. Now it's hard to have him anywhere but #1.

Not really. Mackinnon, Monahan, Ristolainen, Jones, Drouin, Wennberg, etc. Doubt there will ever be any consensus on who the best player of the draft is but I don't agree it's Barkov. Still an excellent player.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
I'd have no issue voting Barkov if the season ended today. But this is reputation award, so it takes a lot, lot more for a different player to get one.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Not predicting that he'll win, but Mikko Koivu should be considered. Every game it's his responsibility to shadow the other teams top line center. And considering the results so far (he's a +16), I'd say he done a pretty good job at being a shutdown center.

I love your username!
But please not koivu, please...

Why not?

Last edited:

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Not really. Mackinnon, Monahan, Ristolainen, Jones, Drouin, Wennberg, etc. Doubt there will ever be any consensus on who the best player of the draft is but I don't agree it's Barkov. Still an excellent player.

As of right now Barkov is 1 from that draft, alot of the guys you mentioned have yet to produce a full good season yet.

Risto is probably the closest in that regard and Mack has the playoffs numbers on his side.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Barkov's faceoff numbers are lacking when in comparison to other past Selke winners.

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Barkov's faceoff numbers are lacking when in comparison to other past Selke winners.

Takes some time to adjust to the NHL in that regard. Specially as alot of europeans have a diffrent style in the FO circle when they play back home.

But that kind of tells you how good he is, have a cf% of 57 even when you don't start with the puck.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Not predicting that he'll win, but Mikko Koivu should be considered. Every game it's his responsibility to shadow the other teams top line center. And considering the results so far (he's a +16), I'd say he done a pretty good job at being a shutdown center.

Can't really disagree.

What are the meaning and all aspects of evaluation for that " who demonstrates the most skill in the defensive component of the game"? It's far from being the one dimensional measurement.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
As of right now Barkov is 1 from that draft, alot of the guys you mentioned have yet to produce a full good season yet.

Risto is probably the closest in that regard and Mack has the playoffs numbers on his side.

Not sure what you mean by a full good season considering outside of Drouin they've all been one of the very best on their teams.

Mackinnon had a 60 point season with great playoffs, has had a 50 point and is having a decent year now.

Monahan 3 times over 20 goals, has hit over 30, two times of 60 points as our number one center and is getting on track again.

Risto has been Buffalo's number one and is having an elite season.

Seth Jones has been elite but buried in depth and now with ice time is proving his value.

Wennberg is an elite playmaker with equal defense but admittedly less goal scoring ability.

Drouin was Tampa's best.player in the playoffs, and is on a tear now that he's given real ice time, trending to become one of the best offensive players in the league like expected.

Not sure how Barkov is clearly number one outside of the fact that you're a panthers fan.

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Not sure what you mean by a full good season considering outside of Drouin they've all been one of the very best on their teams.

Mackinnon had a 60 point season with great playoffs, has had a 50 point and is having a decent year now.

Monahan 3 times over 20 goals, has hit over 30, two times of 60 points as our number one center and is getting on track again.

Risto has been Buffalo's number one and is having an elite season.

Seth Jones has been elite but buried in depth and now with ice time is proving his value.

Wennberg is an elite playmaker with equal defense but admittedly less goal scoring ability.

Drouin was Tampa's best.player in the playoffs, and is on a tear now that he's given real ice time, trending to become one of the best offensive players in the league like expected.

Not sure how Barkov is clearly number one outside of the fact that you're a panthers fan.

First of this is really Wennergs first good season and his defense is not on Barkovs level if you think that i don't know what to tell you. Still a good player but hes not on Mack or Barkovs level as of know.

Monahan is good and all but he is not elite hes a good 1c.

Drouin sure a good playoffs but let him do that over a full season first before putting him at 1.

Seth Jones is having a good year but in a very short period so far.

Mack is good like i said i even brought up that he has good playoffs stats.

Overall Barkov is top5 over the most points in the last what 17-18 games? have 19 in his last 18, 22 in his last 23, 86 in his last 101, 101 in his last 121 while playing elite/selke defense.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
First of this is really Wennergs first good season and his defense is not on Barkovs level if you think that i don't know what to tell you. Still a good player but hes not on Mack or Barkovs level as of know.

Monahan is good and all but he is not elite hes a good 1c.

Drouin sure a good playoffs but let him do that over a full season first before putting him at 1.

Seth Jones is having a good year but in a very short period so far.

Mack is good like i said i even brought up that he has good playoffs stats.

Overall Barkov is top5 over the most points in the last what 17-18 games? have 19 in his last 18, 22 in his last 23, 86 in his last 101, 101 in his last 121 while playing elite/selke defense.

Look, I get it, panthers fan, you'll not accept the possibility that he isn't the best of the draft.

I'm not arguing anyone over him. I'm arguing people on equal footing at very least, none ahead of each other. All foundational d and centers and nobody knows how they will pan out still, any could go first.

And yes, Wennberg has elite defence. Not sure if you have a complex about Barkov or something.

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Look, I get it, panthers fan, you'll not accept the possibility that he isn't the best of the draft.

I'm not arguing anyone over him. I'm arguing people on equal footing at very least, none ahead of each other. All foundational d and centers and nobody knows how they will pan out still, any could go first.

And yes, Wennberg has elite defence. Not sure if you have a complex about Barkov or something.

No im just tired that people don't give him any respect and have no clue what a stud of a player he is.

Never said Wennbergs defense was bad but you are talking about a guy that was 6th last year as a 20 year old with votes for 1st aswell.

Im not saying that hes the 1 overall for the rest of the careers more that he and Mack are probably 1-2 still in any order.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad