Is Barkov leading Selke race?

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Koivu is a disgrace. Other than face-offs, and generally tilting the ice towards opponents end he is a shell of his former self. He was better seven years ago despite the +/- stats saying otherwise.

Barkov is the best #1 center of the Finns at the moment.

Hmmm, yeah I think it's time for me to watch more Wild games.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Just going by the last years you have to produce offensively to have a shot at winning.
When's the last time 30-40 point forward has won Selke?

It's a 2way forward award.

That may be how the voters view it, but that's not the definition of the award. Pet peeve of mine.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
My 3 front-runners for Selke would theese

1.Aleksander Barkov Panthers

2.Derek Stepan NYR

3.Ryan Kesler Ducks

I feel that Stepan is getting too little recognizion. He is a very good 2-way player. Most ppl probably dont watch NYR too often, when I never have seen him in this discussion?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
This year could be the ultimate test, does as people moan "points" matter enough or not or does the actual production and acknowledgement of how good Bergeron is still hold even if he doesn't turn around his actual goal/assist results.

Barring, which as it is currently, the Bruins make the playoffs that was shown last year to impact votes

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Koivu is a disgrace. Other than face-offs, and generally tilting the ice towards opponents end he is a shell of his former self. He was better seven years ago despite the +/- stats saying otherwise.

Barkov is the best #1 center of the Finns at the moment.

Koivu is far, FAR from a disgrace, guy is playing great hockey and his line is the line Boudreau puts against the other team's top line, guy is playing his best hockey in a while.

mgd525

May 18, 2007
I bet Crosby gets more votes this year than people will expect with some of the normal guys having bad years. I see Kesler or Barkov winning it imo.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Koivu is far, FAR from a disgrace, guy is playing great hockey and his line is the line Boudreau puts against the other team's top line, guy is playing his best hockey in a while.

Not better than in his 70 point seasons though (which weren't enough for Selke's either). Also he isn't the best Finnish #1 center at the moment, Barkov is. I said #1 center though, which might indicate he isn't a disgrace, but even then, Koivu has been better in his career without leading Selke race. It's unlikely he does it now, when he is a shell of his former self.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
This thread really encapsulates the way Selke voting typically goes. Lots of people saying Kesler essentially because his increase in scoring is getting him noticed and causing people to talk about the good season he's having, and because he has a good defensive reputation that must mean he's been great defensively as well, even though he's not playing any differently. Meanwhile Bergeron is struggling to put up points so he must be having a bad season, which includes defense, even though he's been his usual elite self there. This should be Bergeron, but Kesler would likely win the voting if it were held today because of the reasons above.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
This thread really encapsulates the way Selke voting typically goes. Lots of people saying Kesler essentially because his increase in scoring is getting him noticed and causing people to talk about the good season he's having, and because he has a good defensive reputation that must mean he's been great defensively as well, even though he's not playing any differently. Meanwhile Bergeron is struggling to put up points so he must be having a bad season, which includes defense, even though he's been his usual elite self there. This should be Bergeron, but Kesler would likely win the voting if it were held today because of the reasons above.

That's a good point, and unfortunately it's true.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It's turned into best two way forward. Who can score the most and play defensively well.

Or we would see some actual 4th liners or 3rd liners win

It hasn't become a two way award so much as offense influences how good people tend to view a player's season overall. Bottom 6 players aren't excluded due to their offense, it's because they aren't actually as good at the best top 6ers anymore.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I know this thread is about Barkov, but can somoene explain to me why Bergeron would be ahead of Kesler at this point? I understand that his Corsi is just insane, but he is playing on one of the best line in the NHL and is currently getting 58% O-zone starts. And is not putting up any points.

While Keslers corsi is decent while having pretty bad line mates. Kesler also has an insane 66% D-zone starts while also producing at a very good rate. I just can't see how Bergeron or anyone could be ahead of Kesler at this point. When you look at Bergeron's Corsi you have to remember that he is playing with amazing line mates. How can you even be considered for Selke if you have 58% O-zone starts AKA you're being used offensivly? Bergeron doesn't even come close to those O-zone starts in previous seasons, so not saying he didn't derserve it previously. Am i missing some stats, or are people just going by name here, enligthen me.

Would probably put Barkov in the top-3 at this point though.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016

Kesler has been more than just points. He's better than Bergeron in pretty much every single faceoff metric, especially DF zone starts, as mentioned by the poster above. He also leads the league in PK minutes for centers (almost 30 full minutes more than Bergeron). Kesler's putting up the offense while taking some of the hardest minutes in the league.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Thanks.

I haven't seen much of Koivu live this year, so not much to go on eye test, but some of his stats are pretty nice.

9g, 12a, 21p +16
55.4% FO percentage (3rd in the league in total FOs, 2nd in DZ FOs)
2:24 SH TOI/gm
18 takeaways, only 10 PIM

Koivu is a superb defender. Staal's addition as a scoring C has allowed Koivu to be used against oppo's top lines.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

You clearly don't know what you are talking about. Koivu is playing very well. A "disgrace"?

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
This season it's Kesler vs. Barkov and Koivu lurking in the backround getting the odd votes. 30 games in Kesler's leading but it could very well change.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Selke is a reputation award. There is no hype at all right now in the media for Barkov, no chance he wins it.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Just going by the last years you have to produce offensively to have a shot at winning.
When's the last time 30-40 point forward has won Selke?

It's a 2way forward award.

Draper

Before it was the best defensive forward award. Now it's the best 2 way forward. You need to put up some points as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad