Is Auston Matthews a "generational goal scorer"? A deep dive.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
No they haven’t. Per NHL Twitter, no one has done this in the last 20 years. Bure was the last time like 22 years ago.

Matthews is the best goal scorer to enter the league since Mario. Babcock being a terrible coach slowed him down a bit, but he’ll top 800 career goals and I’m a believer in him having the potential to break Gretzky’s record.

Gretzky scored over 90 goals, over 200 points, and an AVG P/GP of 2.69 in one season. With all due respect, I dont think anyone comes close to those numbers ever again in human history.

Edit 1: In all fairness to Matthews, if he remains healthy and has a long career, he has a great chance at cracking the top 25 all time goal scorers.

Edit 2: Matthews has a fair chance at cracking the record for most total goals scored. Ovechkin is very close to Gretzky's total, so I think Matthews can catch up. Gretzky's achievements, monstrous as they are, his goal production slowed down significantly later in his career.

Last edited:

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Gretzky scored over 90 goals, over 200 points, and an AVG P/GP of 2.69 in one season. With all due respect, I dont think anyone comes close to those numbers ever again in human history.

Edit 1: In all fairness to Matthews, if he remains healthy and has a long career, he has a great chance at cracking the top 25 all time goal scorers.

Edit 2: Matthews has a fair chance at cracking the record for most total goals scored. Ovechkin is very close to Gretzky's total, so I think Matthews can catch up. Gretzky's achievements, monstrous as they are, his goal production slowed down significantly later in his career.

Lmao oh he scored 90 goals against those spectacular goalies from the 80s. How impressive!!!

Do you know how easy it was to score then? Not a single one of those goalies could stop even the most pedestrian shot from Matthews. Gretzky would not produce anywhere near the same in today’s league.

The greatest goal scorer ever is Ovechkin at the moment. Not Gretzky.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Anyone else remember when we were constantly told that Laine was just as good if not better than Matthews ?
I read a thread were, initially it started out as comparing Laine and Lemieux’s size and playstyle. Which is absurd in and out of it self. But to make things worse, by the halfway point of the thread, some guys were saying he could be like Lemieux. It had me dying of laughter.:laugh::laugh:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Anyone else remember when we were constantly told that Laine was just as good if not better than Matthews ?

Frankly we were told the same thing about Eichel as recently as January 2021. For some reason people look at Laine’s booming shot from distance or Eichel’s smooth mechanics and they seem to be awarding style points or something. Matthews has them both beat in volume and style and cementing a Rocket will go a long way to distancing himself from those pretenders.

Reactions: Sypher04

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It's sad that Matthews, 5 seasons into his NHL career, has had 4 seasons cut short. 2 by injury, 2 by pandemic. That's not unique to him obviously, but how many more goals along would he be by now.

Nevermind, the way he was used by Babcock.

Still though 198 goals in his first 332 games played is pretty remarkable

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Lmao oh he scored 90 goals against those spectacular goalies from the 80s. How impressive!!!

Do you know how easy it was to score then? Not a single one of those goalies could stop even the most pedestrian shot from Matthews. Gretzky would not produce anywhere near the same in today’s league.

I think it would have to be Lemieux. If he didn't get sick and retire early who knows what totals he would have had.
Lemieux .75 goals per game, Ovechkin .61 goals per game

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019

Kind of similar to what we're seeing right now with the NHL though. A lot less physical today, and easier to score than say the 90's.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
So Ovechkin scored definitely more goals through his first 5 NHL seasons than Matthews, but it's interesting to note, due to the 2005-06 lockout Ovechkin missed his first eligible year making him 20 when he began. So, while Ovechkin is still more goals in slightly less games at the same age as where Matthews is now, Matthews is only about ~20 goals behind where Ovechkin was. Premature currently, but if Matthews can play a long time and have anything like the kind of year over year consistency Ovechkin has had he could end up with some pretty gaudy career goal totals himself. whether he could challenge goal records who knows. It's so early for him and Ovechkin isn't done yet obviously either

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
In 2004 OV was not considered Generational, neither was Matthews. Would you trade OV for Sid in 2009? Or Matthews for McDavid now? The answer is no. It is not possible to be a Generational talent unless you are unanimously considered to be the best player in the NHL

There have been 5 Generational Talents at their draft year

LaFleur
Mario
Lindros
Sid
McDavid

Those are the only 5 names that should show up on discussion about Generational Talents.
I dont think you understood the question. it's is he a generational scorer?
has nothing to do with trading for Crosby or McDavid.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
In 2004 OV was not considered Generational, neither was Matthews. Would you trade OV for Sid in 2009? Or Matthews for McDavid now? The answer is no. It is not possible to be a Generational talent unless you are unanimously considered to be the best player in the NHL

There have been 5 Generational Talents at their draft year

LaFleur
Mario
Lindros
Sid
McDavid

Those are the only 5 names that should show up on discussion about Generational Talents.

Actually, in 2004 and 2005, there was a lot of debate and anticipation surrounding Ovechkin, Malkin and Crosby whether they would become generational talents. That's when the term started being bandied about all over the place, whether or not they would be able to distinguish them from the likes of Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, Thornton, Spezza, Heatley and other young making their mark.

In terms of whether Auston Matthews is a generational player or not, the question is answered over the course of a career and not on the draft floor.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
I think it would have to be Lemieux. If he didn't get sick and retire early who knows what totals he would have had.
Lemieux .75 goals per game, Ovechkin .61 goals per game

Lemieux I can get behind tbh. I personally think it’s Ovechkin but that’s a fair take. GPG isn’t a fair metric across eras tho as the game has changed so much.

Reactions: saltming

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Kind of similar to what we're seeing right now with the NHL though. A lot less physical today, and easier to score than say the 90's.

Disagree. Goaltending is exponentially better than the 80s. Watch some highlights.

Shots that are routine saves today went right through goalies back then.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Lemieux I can get behind tbh. I personally think it’s Ovechkin but that’s a fair take. GPG isn’t a fair metric across eras tho as the game has changed so much.
That's fair too. There is a score adjusted for era stat but that's beyond my scope

Reactions: Mats13

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Equipment is the big difference pun intended

It’s more than just that tho

I think goaltenders in general have improved so much. These days they catch Ovechkin and Matthews snipes through a crowd.

In the 80s weak backhanders went five hole.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
It’s more than just that tho

I think goaltenders in general have improved so much. These days they catch Ovechkin and Matthews snipes through a crowd.

In the 80s weak backhanders went five hole.
Yes the butterfly became a standard and that was a revolution, but the pucks through traffic is a 50/50 split with style and size.
36e4eb2784c61346_800.jpeg.jpg

When Smaller Is Better: Goalie Equipment Changes And The NHL Scoring Surge. — broncofan99 on Scorum

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Reactions: saltming

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Based on talent it's Lemieux pretty easily. Dude put up 35 goals in 43 games in 2001 when he was 35 after being retired for 3.5 years, and also scored 69 goals in 70 games against 1996 goalies which weren't as good as today but still much better by that point than the 80s.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
It's sad that Matthews, 5 seasons into his NHL career, has had 4 seasons cut short. 2 by injury, 2 by pandemic. That's not unique to him obviously, but how many more goals along would he be by now.

Nevermind, the way he was used by Babcock.

Still though 198 goals in his first 332 games played is pretty remarkable

His only full season he was a 19 year old rookie who played 17:38 per game and only 2 on the powerplay and still finished 2nd in goals, playing only with other rookie wingers and none of them were Marner.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Scoring in the 90s didn't get harder until 1996-97, so for most of the 90s it was way easier to score than today. 1992-93 had the most 100 point scorers in NHL history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad