Is Auston Matthews a "generational goal scorer"? A deep dive.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Is there even such a thing as Generational Goal Scorer? Can we just say he is a great scorer and is the best scorer this year and barring injuries AM will probably be a top 5 goal scorer of all time in the NHL.

Reactions: Confucius

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Pretty diminishing, for a pro athlete, to play against, a Matthews, or a Mcdavid.

I never liked playing, professionally, in my sport and coming up with a guy, that if you didn't play it real tight, could embarass you in front of how many people were there watching.

Some guys, just have all the dna, luck, destiny etc... and its no fun coming up against them.

Matthews for all his years and years of rink ratting, is also a genetic freak.

He is the modern day Bobby Hull. Maybe one or two players are regarded as better players, but shot. no one close to Hull or this guy.

Reactions: DirkStraun

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Auston Matthews will probably retire the greatest Leaf ever. If he stays healthy and if he can help pull off the biggest sporting win this city has been hoping for for over a half century. He will finish the 2nd greatest Leaf ever if McDavid ever joins the Leafs. We are witnessing a living legend in Matthews. I am enjoying and savouring every goal and highlight reel from this great hockey ambassador.

OT: Marner is probably in the top 10 Leafs of all time too if he meets the same conditions.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
The funny thing about Matthews only empty net goal is that it was his 40th goal in his rookie season. Although it did clinch their win over Pittsburgh and their playoff spot and what a better time to get it.

Also if you watch the replay and the clock on that goal, after the puck went into the net it says 3.4 seconds and Matthews wears #34.

Some people don't really read too much into those things, but I do. There are a lot of little neat things like that which have occurred over the years for him which just goes to show he was born to be a Maple Leaf.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He’s the best goal scorer in the World and he’s a Maple Leaf. I Think Papi is a character to go with this too. Everyone knows he’s cool too. All the better he has Zero ego.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
HFOil is very salty Matty got 40 tonight. Apparently it’s nothing. Not a achievement at all.

Wow they really are obsessed with him lmao

It’s the old inferiority complex they all have towards Toronto. They get visibly upset when you tell them Matthews does something better than Mcdavid :laugh:

Reactions: CocoaDrink

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
At least one of them is self aware. From their Around the League thread:

"I read more about Matthews in this thread than anywhere else."

Seeing all these posts made me go look and it’s actually so sad. They can’t appreciate talent because they just envy Toronto so much.

We can appreciate how amazing McDavid is. They’re over there straight up lying to themselves saying 40 in 49 is common and not historic. Isn’t it the first time it’s happened since Bure over 20 years ago???

Reactions: CocoaDrink

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Seeing all these posts made me go look and it’s actually so sad. They can’t appreciate talent because they just envy Toronto so much.

We can appreciate how amazing McDavid is. They’re over there straight up lying to themselves saying 40 in 49 is common and not historic. Isn’t it the first time it’s happened since Bure over 20 years ago???

Ovi and Stammer did it too in the last 15 years.

Still not common, and very impressive.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Ovi and Stammer did it too in the last 15 years.

Still not common, and very impressive.

No they haven’t. Per NHL Twitter, no one has done this in the last 20 years. Bure was the last time like 22 years ago.

Matthews is the best goal scorer to enter the league since Mario. Babcock being a terrible coach slowed him down a bit, but he’ll top 800 career goals and I’m a believer in him having the potential to break Gretzky’s record.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
No they haven’t. Per NHL Twitter, no one has done this in the last 20 years. Bure was the last time like 22 years ago.

Matthews is the best goal scorer to enter the league since Mario. Babcock being a terrible coach slowed him down a bit, but he’ll top 800 career goals and I’m a believer in him having the potential to break Gretzky’s record.

Slow down there Chief .. Don't put him past Ovi .. Ovi scored more goals in his first 4 season than Matthews has in his first 5 years (324 games, 219 goals ; compared to 331 games, 198 goals).

Any argument that Babs' slowed him down is legit but can't be used as concrete evidence that Matthews' is a better scorer.

I 100% agree he has potential to break the 800 barrier and Gretzky's record IF he can stay healthy. He had the talent, drive, and ability. Plus his game style should play well as he ages. For Matthews to do that though he'd have to average 40 goals per season until he's 40 (17 more seasons).

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Imagine a Leafs fan trying to discredit McDavid's accomplishments, and saying he isn't as good as Oilers fans think.

But we don't have the same inferiority complex, so you don't see that. We love McDavid, and don't care about how Oilers fans talk about him.

Reactions: The Cobra

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
No he just plays in the North boys, lock er up. Nothing to see. He's actually just a really bad player who gets super lucky because of his matchups and the elite playmaker Marner, who also actually sucks but is good because Matthews is winning the rocket.

Reactions: Jmo89 and Confucius

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
He is better than any Senator, Jets/Coyotes/Thrashers/Jets or whatever Winnipeg gets moved to next week, and certainly better than any present day Hab.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Without the wrist injury I'm very inclined to believe he could have got 50.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Is there even such a thing as Generational Goal Scorer? Can we just say he is a great scorer and is the best scorer this year and barring injuries AM will probably be a top 5 goal scorer of all time in the NHL.
Fans, people in general just love to be first, so they can say I told you so, I knew it, etc. No different than buying a stock low and selling high and then boasting I knew that stock was going to skyrocket.

I agree and it's obvious by a long shot that AM34 is the best scorer this year and over the last 3 seasons for that matter. As for the future? I want to be on the I told you so bandwagon. Matty will be the best for at least the next 5 years.

Last edited:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Auston Matthews will probably retire the greatest Leaf ever. If he stays healthy and if he can help pull off the biggest sporting win this city has been hoping for for over a half century. He will finish the 2nd greatest Leaf ever if McDavid ever joins the Leafs. We are witnessing a living legend in Matthews. I am enjoying and savouring every goal and highlight reel from this great hockey ambassador.

OT: Marner is probably in the top 10 Leafs of all time too if he meets the same conditions.
Marner is only 180 points from being top 10 in career points. He should crack that by 26 years of age. Fun fact...thats the age Gilmour started for the leafs.

edit correction...it is 2 years younger than when gilmour started for the leafs.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Cobra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->