Is 2015 third overall Dylan Strome a bust?

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
He's 21 and barely started his pro career and seems to be doing just fine in the pro's. Let him be

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Yes he is.
No one will want to offer sheet him
Only Leafs players will get offer sheeted. It's a non-issue for every other team.

Really though, guys like Marner and Provorov are making Strome at 3 look like a bad decision.

Reactions: Metroid

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Nah, not yet.

I'd usually give it 4-5ish years. Ryan Johansen was considered a likely bust until his breakout season three years after being 4th overall.

Strome also has the misfortune of coming right after two of the best talents we've seen in the draft in a long time. Expectations were high for him partially due to that.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Only Leafs players will get offer sheeted. It's a non-issue for every other team.

Really though, guys like Marner and Provorov are making Strome at 3 look like a bad decision.
Maybe. The Sedins were terrible picks at 2 and 3 until they weren’t.
I agree though that he would go much lower in a redraft.
Still too early imo to call him a bust.

Last edited:

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Eh, I dunno.
I mean, what if he just becomes a good depth centre for the rest of his life? That's still a pretty decent gig.
Maybe if he moves to another team he gets a renewed shot of vigor. I'm sure he'll be fine down the road.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
If he doesn't prove to be a legitimate top six forward this year I would say yes, he's a bust. But he has the rest of the season to prove it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
worst-best 3rd-4th overall picks in recent memory?
I love Marner as a player, but its hard to think he deserves best over Seth Jones until he has a truly elite year after Jones played at a level worthy of Norris consideration last year. Although, Drouin has shown more than Strome, although he is 2 years older if you are trying to group them together.

If we are factoring everything in as a worst and best, I would have to think Bogosian-Pietrangelo would have to be given serious consideration, along with Gudbranson-RyJo.

Fenrirson

Sep 17, 2018
More like Dylan Bust, amirite?

Worst 3rd overall pick of that entire draft. Lol at him and what's his name at 2nd

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
More like Dylan Bust, amirite?

Worst 3rd overall pick of that entire draft. Lol at him and what's his name at 2nd

He has also been the best 3OA of that entire draft. :cool:

And he scored Yotes first goal of the season.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
My definition of a bust is a player taken in the top-half of the first round, who doesn't establish himself as an NHL regular by age 25. Drafted any lower, and you can't really have can't-miss expectations for a player. By 25 his window has pretty much closed if he isn't taking a regular shift. If he makes it as a full-time NHL player, he's not a bust.

Daigle wasn't a bust. Yak wasn't a bust, having played 350 games. Those guys are huge disappointments, relative to being drafted 1OA, but not busts.

Here are some busts ... Griffin Reinhart, Dylan McIlrath, Scott Glennie, Kyle Beach, Colton Teubert, Zach Hamill. Their careers went nowhere.

Dylan Strome? Way too early to say. He's 21.

Your definition of bust is busted.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
He was very good last night, I think he's going to be a very good player but not a Matthews or Eichel. His skating has improved, tall lanky kids often take longer.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Maybe you expect better for draft position, but as a Jets fan I use Schiefele for a template.

Drafted top 10, sent down multiple times, a few more years before exploding with a PPG performance.

Strome had time.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I'd label him disappointing at worst up to this point. Too early to call him a bust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad