Is 2015 third overall Dylan Strome a bust?

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
Marner seen stints on the 4th line on a line with Matt Martin and Dominic Moore multiple times, and still thrived lol. I agree, that unless something huge changes this year it looks like quite the whiff, especially in that draft
OK but in saying that, Marner only spent like what, 5 games (?) on the 4th line. That's not to discredit your statement, but it's not necessarily a good comparison only because that stint was 5ish games, not 30. Still though, the point remains that he's got one more season to shake off the "bust" title

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
way too early

he dominated the ohl, went over ppg in his rookie ahl seasons and had 9 in 20 when he got called up

that doesnt scream bust to me, we are two games in and NOBODY has scored a goal on his team

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Jury is still out, but it has been trending that way.

I don't think he has the type of potential or ceiling you hope for a #3 pick, but he could maybe still be a 2c if everything goes right.

I'm inclined to believe Arizona doesn't' really believe in the player and Chayka drafted Hayton to fill the organizational hole drafting Strome left.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
I was shocked they did not take Marner , Strome had pretty strange playoffs where he seemed to disapear when the things got tough. Marner looked like a Patrick Kane clone with his incredible vision and hockey IQ.

He is not likely to be a bust considering his AHL production last year but will probably be a Galchenyuk type of 3rd OV where hes a good player but not a star or borderline superstar.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
Why would the Sabres have picked a worse player?

obvious troll comment is obvious. eichel seems to be a franchise player that any team would love to have, but matthews has out-played him their entire lives, and continues to this season and it's not particularly close either. moving on.

oh and yes, strome is a bust, even if he is a nhl regular. for that draft, that's a bust.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I think Eichel was far, far more hyped at the draft year.
I’d say they had pretty similar hype. I’m sure Eichel would have gone ahead of Matthews if they were both in the 2015 draft. Eichel was dominating against men in college in 2014-15, while Matthews was playing in the USHL against u-18 players.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
My definition of a bust is a player taken in the top-half of the first round, who doesn't establish himself as an NHL regular by age 25. Drafted any lower, and you can't really have can't-miss expectations for a player. By 25 his window has pretty much closed if he isn't taking a regular shift. If he makes it as a full-time NHL player, he's not a bust.

Daigle wasn't a bust. Yak wasn't a bust, having played 350 games. Those guys are huge disappointments, relative to being drafted 1OA, but not busts.

Here are some busts ... Griffin Reinhart, Dylan McIlrath, Scott Glennie, Kyle Beach, Colton Teubert, Zach Hamill. Their careers went nowhere.

Dylan Strome? Way too early to say. He's 21.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's not a bust. If we are talking about recent draftees save that term for the Griffin Reinhart's, and Yakupov's.

He's been a disappointment so far for a 3rd overall pick, in what was viewed as a very deep draft. He has not tracked the typical route you expect for a forward (or even defender that high. Using the top 5 picks since 2008, here is how they tracked. Its a long breakdown, so I put it in quotes for people who don't want it taking up the page, and would rather ignore or skip to my conclusion.

Stamkos: NHL in his D+1, never went down
Doughty: NHL in his D+1, never went down
Bogosian: NHL D+1, never went down
Pietrangelo: Small time in NHL in D+1 and D+2, in NHL full time in D+3
L. Schenn: In NHL in D+1

Tavares: In NHL in D+1, never went down
Hedman: In NHL in D+1, never went down
Duchene: In NHL in D+1, never went down
Kane: In NHL in D+1, never went down
B. Schenn: limited NHL time in D+1 and D+2, had half a season AHL in D+4 due to NHL lockout of 2012-13 and had a 7 game stint in his D+3 before playing a majority of the year with the Flyers. Also had "rehab assignment" in his D+2 to temporarily circumvent CHL rules, but played mostly WHL.

Hall: In NHL in D+1, went down due to the lockout in his D+3 due to still having waiver eligibility
Seguin: In NHL in D+1, never went down
Gudbranson: In NHL in his D+2, 2 game stint in his D+3 (which was lockout year)
Johansen: In NHL in his D+2, went down for half the 2012-13 lockout season in his D+3 (with a slightly extended stay), but played 40 of 48 games.
Niederreiter: Called up to NHL in his D+2, but saw 6 games in the AHL, but the next year was sent back for a full year in his D+3.

Nugent-Hopkins: In NHL in D+1, only went down to the AHL due to lockout
Landeskog: In NHL in D+1, never went down
Huberdeau: Made NHL in D+2 after spending half-season in the QMJHL due to lockout, has no AHL time.
Larsson: Made NHL in D+1, has been sent down for two significant stints, one due to 2012-13 lockout, other due to New Jersey thinking it was best
R. Strome: Split his D+3 season between AHL/NHL, full time NHL after

Yakupov: In NHL in D+1, never went down (but waived and out of league)
R. Murrey: Made NHL in D+2, has 1 AHL game in a rehab stint
A. Galchenyuk: In NHL in D+1 after spending half season in Sarnia of the OHL due to lockout, never been sent down.
G. Reinhart: Still in AHL after brief NHL stints, cleared waivers multiple times
Rielly: In NHL in D+2, never been sent down since

MacKinnon: In NHL in D+1, never went down
Barkov: In NHL in D+1, never went down
Drouin: In NHL in D+2 (with tiny AHL stint of 2 games), sent down in D+3 mid-season for a 17 game stint
Jones: In NHL in D+1, never went down
E. Lindholm: In NHL in D+1 who had tiny mid-season stint in AHL

Ekblad: In NHL in D+1, never went down
S. Reinhart: In NHL in D+2, never went down since then (had 3 game stint once Kootney was eliminated in 2014-15 in his D+1)
Draisaitl: Made NHL in D+1, but sent to WHL half-way through, had brief AHL stint before being recalled to NHL in D+2, never been back since
S. Bennett: Made NHL full time in D+2, never sent down
Dal Colle: Still in AHL, last year of waiver eligibility

McDavid: In NHL in D+1, never went down
Eichel: In NHL in D+1, never went down
D. Strome: Trying to be a full-time NHLer in D+4, spent last year mostly in the AHL.
Marner: Made NHL in D+2, never sent down
Hanifin: In NHL in D+1, never went down

Matthews: In NHL in D+1, never went down
Laine: In NHL in D+1, never went down
Dubois: Made NHL in D+2, never sent down (still has waiver eligibility, but unlikely)
Puljujarvi: Split D+1 between AHL and NHL, 10 games in D+2 in AHL, but rest in NHL, could still be sent down, but not that likely
Juolevi: In AHL to start D+3

Hischier: Made NHL in D+1, could be sent down still, but highly unlikely
Patrick: Made NHL in D+1, could be sent down still, but highly unlikely
Heiskanen: Made NHL in D+2, unlikely to be sent down (although we are talking 3 NHL games of proof at this level)
Makar: Spent D+1 and likely rest of D+2 in NCAA, but could make a year end appearence in a pro-league
Pettersson: Made NHL in D+2, unlikely to be sent down (although we are talking 3 NHL games of proof at this level)
The situation Strome is in is rare for a top 5 pick. That doesn't mean he'll bust or is one, but it isn't the most positive of trends. The guys who he seems to share the most in common on the surface is Dal Colle, his brother, and Niederreiter. You could also make arguments he has some similarities with RyJo and Brayden Schenn. I'd also add, while not grouped in with these people, he has a fair amount in common with Kyle Turris. I'd like to add, I don't think Dal Colle is that fair, due to D. Strome actually excelling at the AHL level, something Dal Colle has failed to do.

I don't think he's a bust, but I do think he will slightly disappoint compared to the guys he was grouped with, in the 2015 draft which was most specifically Marner and Hanifin as the 3rd tier of that draft. He was also viewed as comparable to guys such as RyJo, Dubois, S. Reinhart, Draisaitl, and Bennett at his draft date. If he can enter a tier similar to Draisaitl or RyJo, he'll be a success even if he wasn't the 3rd best guy in the draft. Now, that is probably near the very best outcome Coyotes fans can hope for at this point. Realistically, I think a soild outcome for the Yotes at this point, and one they could live with is that he becomes a good 1B/2A center for them in the mold of what Kyle Turris did after failing to live up to expectations (but hopefully in Arizona and not elsewhere in a losing trade). Strome has the smarts, and skills that can help him succeed. He produced at an elite rate in the OHL that has rarely been matched between 17 and 19 (although, very elite players are rarely still in the CHL at 19).

I'd add, looking at this list (although it is by far most prevelent among defenders, but there are forward examples), a lot of the worst players on this list are guys who were in the NHL in their D+1 (Schenn, Gudbranson, Yakupov,), but that is balanced out by pretty much every elite player on this list being in the NHL in their D+1 (Pietrangelo is the exception, Marner looks to be one, way too early to speak on the 2017's and I don't want to open that pandora's box of arguments). So the fastest guys don't always amount to the best. Now, there is no precedent of a guy who can't be a full-time NHLer in their D+4 who was a top 5 pick in this time frame who went on to be a strong NHLer (if we go further back there is Blake Wheeler, although he wasn't under contract). So, in many ways this is a make or break year from Strome, unless he amounts to an extreme outlier.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yes, if he can’t force himself into the Yotes’ lineup then he is not good.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
that draft class is only 21, still plenty of time to improve, but this year is a big year for strome

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Then you would have Jack Eichel

Nope. Matthews would be a coyote. Eichel won the hobey as a freshman and dominated that league like no other. You ain't taking someone out of the USDP over a hobey Baker winner at 18.

And yes I think Matthews is better now. But Eichel still would have gone 2

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
If Matthews was born two days earlier the Yotes would have drafted him at #3
Eichel was seen as a much better prospect at the time and had more hype. I believe scouts or gms were polled and Eichel was much rather preferred and seen better then Matthews.

As for the topic time to put up or shut up. Strome needs to show us he can play in the NHL and then improve here on out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad