News Article: Interview with Nail Yakupov about his summer and personal relationships

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Some things have a tendency to jump off the page for me. Probably because I'm familiar with what people encounter as immigrants to the country.

So wait, in this tight nucleus of a dressingroom not one Oiler player could go up to Yak and offer him a ride, make him comfortable, interact and spend some extra time with him? Strikes me as a bit odd. Or that the player that helped him find a home on this team is Johhny Boychuk, not even on this squad.

Just found the next two quotes interesting;
(my view is that Yak was sad and somewhat overwhelmed last year. I wonder how out of sorts he felt here)

(cough)

Always been my impression that Yak has struggled with the adaptation here but this is nothing irregular for a Russian player with big expectations on a new continent. I wonder if the team could do something more to make him feel more at home here. The juice is worth the squeeze with this one.
I noticed these things in the article too. I especially found it baffling that none of the players pick him up for practices or games. How hard is that? Lots of rumors last year that he was an outsider on this team, those little comments reminded me of them.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm under the impression that there are half a dozen people in this thread that are just saying Yak is enigmatic and lazy to stir things up.

He hasn't learned how to play well defensively. That doesn't mean he isn't trying. When the puck is in our zone on side that the left winger would be on the side boards or in the corners I do notice him coasting around in a meaningless fashion at times but I don't see that as laziness. I flat out don't think he has a sense for what to do in that situation at times.

He works his ass off. He skates hard, he'll try to fight for the puck against guys way bigger than him and he throws some nice hits from time to time. When we've got the puck he's skating his ass off.

As for enigmatic, that's just hilarious. He's probably the most transparent player on our team. If things are going well he looks as happy as a 3 year old in a candy store. If things aren't going well you can desperation all over his face. He's desperate to be a great hockey player in the NHL. He's desperate to be a winner.

I credit Scrivens and Hall for us not being deal last in the NHL last year. Yakupov wanted to have a great year, but he lacked a supporting cast to help him get there.

Smyth had some good games for us, but he's well past his time and shouldn't have been on the team.

Hemsky lacked chemistry with our young guys and wasn't able to keep up with Hall.

Gagner's size and speed made him a horrible 2nd line center.

Jones was a bum.

Joensu was a flop due to inconsistency.

Acro looked capable but lacked the size to make a lot happen.

Belov, Grebs and Fraser shouldn't have been in the NHL.

Justin Schultz was given way too many minutes in situations he's not suited for.

Petry played too many minutes.

The first three goalies we we're going with were utter epic fails.

This year is different for Yakupov.

Of all of those guys I just mentioned, 10 of them won't be with us next year.

They've been replaced with bigger and better players with more experience and skill. It's flat out impossible to see Yakupov have a repeat of last year because center depth or not, we've got more all around depth to provide support in all situations.

Hall/Eberle
Perron/Yak
Pouliot/Purcell

They may not play in those pairings, but we've got three pairs of wingers with offensive upside.

We've got a shutdown pairing in Nik and Fayne so we're not let down by goals let in due to shorty defence as often.

We've got a #7 d-man that can actually play some decent hockey.

I don't see us going to the playoffs this year, but I do see us drafting between 10th and 12th and whether the naysayers in this thread like it or not, baring a freak injury, Yakupov is going to have a much better season.

If his play isn't obviously improved he'll be playing on the third line with one of Gordon, LD or Acro with another very competent winger. That's the worst that could happen to him and it wouldn't be the end of his career.

Yak is going a lot further this year and I can't wait for this season to start. It's so exciting to think that all three of Klefbom, LD and Nurse could miss out on making the team because our depth is so improved.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I agree that has a shot at being a downright scary line.

I will agree also!

In a year I bet this can be a legit line! The larger Yak with Tkachev look dominant out there in rookie camp, but again... that's rookie camp. Cant wait to see preseason now with all three.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I love this kid. We haven't had anyone on this team that loves hockey as much as Yakupov since Ryan Smyth.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I love Yak articles when he's speaking Russian...thing come across a lot better and his personality really shines through

the guy is so genuine, its refreshing to see....he so badly wants to succeed and he wears his heart on his sleeve

it was tough watching him struggle last year

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Yaks play on the ice last year was enigmatic.

He looked downright lost out there for the most part. Just had an awful time for puck retrieval.

I think it's both his and Eakins fault.

Yakupov may be too used to Juniors and having his teammates get him the puck. In the NHL you have to be able to get it yourself. Anticipate where it's going and beat your opponent to it or in the case of a tie.. beat him for it.

I think that's the biggest thing in Yakupovs game that needs to change. When he gets engaged in those battles he does surprisingly well. But he's like maverick after goose dies.. slow to engage.

Now is that all Yakupov as a player being unassertive or thinking his teammates should get him the puck?

Is Eakins instilling a fear of failure or lack of guidance that's hindering Yaks getting involved in the play?

I think it's a bit of both.

From everything I've read, including this article it sounds like Yak has the right attitude to right this ship and believe he can turn it around this year.

I love Yakupov when he has the puck. I find he turns it over less than the others. He's an underrated distributor and his release is crazy.

I get frustrated with Yakupov when he doesn't have the puck. He's always a step or two behind and looks downright confused and un-engaged.

This is a player we can't give up on because once it clicks. He could absolutely lethal imo.

Historically the oilers don't have a good track record of making things click though. ugh.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Is Yakupov really that big of an enigma? His issues have been pretty consistent and he's 20 years old.
I dunno, maybe it's just semantics.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
strange that the oilers want to limit the exposure of yakimov to yakupov. perhaps speaks volumes of their thoughts on yakupov.

EpSoNiight

Nov 14, 2013
strange that the oilers want to limit the exposure of yakimov to yakupov. perhaps speaks volumes of their thoughts on yakupov.

Actually no it doesn't. They want to get Bo to learn the english language and they suspect that having Bo around nail will enable him to speak russian more than they would like. They actually get nail to speak english around Bo for the majority of the time they are together. If a mod would like to confirm my source send me a PM

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Yakupov you have to work hard and earn time on the 1st two lines!

Welcome M. Draisitl, your spot on the 2nd line is waiting for you!

Don't worry the oilers pr machine will be working over time taking slight jabs at the guy and most of the fans will be on board for when we once again dump a talented player.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I don't want to sound arrogant, but without my translation, most people outside of Russia wouldn't have been able to read this interview, so I think that translating the interview wasn't such a bad act by me...

We really appreciate it, it was a great read.

Like I said in another thread, if you don't like Yakupov, you have no soul.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Yakupov you have to work hard and earn time on the 1st two lines!

Welcome M. Draisitl, your spot on the 2nd line is waiting for you!

Don't worry the oilers pr machine will be working over time taking slight jabs at the guy and most of the fans will be on board for when we once again dump a talented player.

Really? Because it seems to me that the spot is basically ear-marked for Arcobello to start the year. Something about MacT seems to give me the impression he has a lot of time for that guy. Might not be the worst idea, he looked OK in that position to start last year and he might be a nice temporary fill in until Draisaitl is actually ready.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Speaks volumes on their thoughts of Yakimov's English skills. They don't want Yakupov just translating everything for him.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Its one possible take on it which I mentioned. IN anycase for a team to limit discourse between people of ethnicity that would accept, understand, and offer familiarity with each other under the auspices of "learn English" is strange at best.

One of the interesting things about Yak though is theres about 5 comments in that article that he dropped. He has a tendency to reference things that have happened. Personally I like that kind of openness. But its not for everybody in the stiff upper lip domain that is NA's puritanical world of pro sport.

For damn sure whoever told Yak and Yak not to be hanging around too much is probably not particularly thrilled that the directive has been outed.

This being the same org that shamed Souray for having the foresight and balls to call out some things that were ongoing problems.

Last edited:

Alawishis

...so anyway.
Mar 12, 2008
Sherwood Park
Some things have a tendency to jump off the page for me. Probably because I'm familiar with what people encounter as immigrants to the country.

So wait, in this tight nucleus of a dressingroom not one Oiler player could go up to Yak and offer him a ride, make him comfortable, interact and spend some extra time with him? Strikes me as a bit odd. Or that the player that helped him find a home on this team is Johhny Boychuk, not even on this squad.

Just found the next two quotes interesting;
(my view is that Yak was sad and somewhat overwhelmed last year. I wonder how out of sorts he felt here)

(cough)

Always been my impression that Yak has struggled with the adaptation here but this is nothing irregular for a Russian player with big expectations on a new continent. I wonder if the team could do something more to make him feel more at home here. The juice is worth the squeeze with this one.

There is a lot of mind reading going on in this post.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Its one possible take on it which I mentioned. IN anycase for a team to limit discourse between people of ethnicity that would accept, understand, and offer familiarity with each other under the auspices of "learn English" is strange at best.

One of the interesting things about Yak though is theres about 5 comments in that article that he dropped. He has a tendency to reference things that have happened. Personally I like that kind of openness. But its not for everybody in the stiff upper lip domain that is NA's puritanical world of pro sport.

For damn sure whoever told Yak and Yak not to be hanging around too much is probably not particularly thrilled that the directive has been outed.

This being the same org that shamed Souray for having the foresight and balls to call out some things that were ongoing problems.

Oh look, more doom and gloom from Replacement.

I see you're reading a lot of your own anxieties into this interview.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Oh look, more doom and gloom from Replacement.

I see you're reading a lot of your own anxieties into this interview.

Yeah I have concerns with how this team has dealt with Yakupov. I wonder why I would have any of that..

I guess we can all just put our blinders on and pretend last season didn't happen. But it did.

With Eakins still somehow being the coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad