News Article: Interview with Nail Yakupov about his summer and personal relationships

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b
A very good interview with Nail about how he spent his summer, his relationships with players on the team, and his overall mentality going into the year.

http://thehockeywriters.com/nail-yakupov-interview-with-edmonton-oilers-forward/

This quote in particular stands out:

- Did you meet any one from the staff? What role will you have this season?

– Yes, last week I talked with our GM Craig MacTavish. We talked pretty much about everything, but we barely talked about hockey. I need to earn a spot in the top-six during the training camp and become one of the leaders of the team. I have to help the team to finally get to the playoffs. You can’t even imagine what will happen in Edmonton if we’ll manage to get to the post-season. It would be really great for our fans. They are the best in the league, therefore we have to get there for them.

Keep in mind this isn't a fluff piece for the Edmonton Journal or anything, this is a guy talking hockey with a general hockey writer. Most Oiler fans won't even see this piece. This kid's head definitely seems like it's in the right place.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Yet the media and fans of other teams call Yak an enigmatic Russian who's lazy and will flock to the KHL. Laughable. Yak will bounce back.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yet the media and fans of other teams call Yak an enigmatic Russian who's lazy and will flock to the KHL. Laughable. Yak will bounce back.

Ummm...I have not seen a single report suggesting that Yak is lazy and will flock to the KHL.

What I have seen is a lot of reaction to his showboating and his poor decisions regarding how to handle ice time. Yak came across as selfish and opened himself up to criticism.

If you are going to make stuff up then at least try and make it reasonable.

I like Yak and as he matures I think he will become a solid NHL player. He is not there yet.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
What pains me in regards to this player is how much he wants to put a smile on everybodys face. In few players was the joy so apparent as little as a year ago.

Although a lot of that flame was doused by Eakins last year. I had a hard time seeing Nails smile turned to bewilderment as he's benched for 2 games only 4 games into a season.

It got worse from there.

My biggest fear is this org finds a way to undermine this play to the degree that they see him as an attitude problem and send him packing.

I love Yak, and I love that he's bringing the usual smiles and positive attitude to camp. But he's still answering to the guy that sunk him last year so I'm still worried this isn't over yet.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Ummm...I have not seen a single report suggesting that Yak is lazy and will flock to the KHL.

What I have seen is a lot of reaction to his showboating and his poor decisions regarding how to handle ice time. Yak came across as selfish and opened himself up to criticism.

One could put Eakins name in here just as easily. The coach that sunk a veritable rookie (lockout year rookie season limited Yaks NHL exposure) only 4 games into the season singling him out for a two game benching. One player of note was horrible in those games. Name was Dubnyk.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

I like Yak and as he matures I think he will become a solid NHL player. He is not there yet.

I have seen plenty. They use his +/- to criticize him. Ex: Dreger. A flyers insider even called Yakupov enigmatic which lead to Larionov's daughter getting a bit angry at him for saying it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I have seen plenty. They use his +/- to criticize him. Ex: Dreger. A flyers insider even called Yakupov enigmatic which lead to Larionov's daughter getting a bit angry at him for saying it.

Yakupov is enigmatic...wheres the story? Yakupov is also a very poor defensive player...no big news story there either.

What about the other stuff you made up?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Yakupov is enigmatic...wheres the story? Yakupov is also a very poor defensive player...no big news story there either.

Try and google "Yakupov enigmatic" and you'll see plenty. Even Jim Hughson called Yakupov "enigmatic." I'm surprised you even think I made it all up. :facepalm:

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b

There haven't been any news reports about him even thinking about the KHL. You'll see those kinds of comments in just about every thread involving him on the main board, but it's mostly just trolls and attention craving children.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Try and google "Yakupov enigmatic" and you'll see plenty.

So whats your point? As I already stated Yakupov has been enigmatic.

Do you dispute this?

BTW...I am still waiting for you to post your proof about the stories on how he wants to bolt to the KHL and that he is lazy.

You know...the BS you just made up.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
There haven't been any news reports about him even thinking about the KHL. You'll see those kinds of comments in just about every thread involving him on the main board, but it's mostly just trolls and attention craving children.

Exactly.

Thank you.

Thats why I am taking this poster to task. I am tried of seeing posters propagate this BS.

BTW...I enjoyed the article. Looking forward to seeing how a maturing Yakupov plays this season.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
So whats your point? As I already stated Yakupov has been enigmatic.

Do you dispute this?

BTW...I am still waiting for you to post your proof about the stories on how he wants to bolt to the KHL and that he is lazy.

You know...the BS you just made up.

How the hell is Yakupov enigmatic? List me reasons on how he's different from guys like Huberdeau or Galchenyuk?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
How the hell is Yakupov enigmatic? List me reasons on how he's different from guys like Huberdeau or Galchenyuk?

Yakupov has over reacted to situations...the ice time incident last season (which involved Larionov) for example. This is simply evidence of an immature player adjusting to higher expectations and a different culture. Yakupov has not handled adversity very well the past 2 seasons. He needs to grow up.

Not much of a story IMO...just a reality and its becoming less of a story with Yakupov showing more maturity in interviews like this. Now we see how he reacts to adversity on the ice.

Still waiting for a retraction on the BS you posted.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Good interview and he sounds like he is really getting more comfortable not only with the city but also as a professional, he is still young and has a long way to go but these are good signs. Hopefully being comfortable will lead to more confidence on the ice, mixed with his work ethic will hopefully translate into a strong start and a good season.

Edit: I really hope we get to see a Tkachev - Yakimov - Yakupov line in pre season.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Sportsnet and the KHL

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/yakupov-grigorenko-nichushkin-and-the-khl/

Puck Daddy writing at Yahoo sports addressing the rumours and insinuating things with "At the moment"

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/puck-...-oilers-agent-debunks-khl-160114241--nhl.html

CBS Sports mentions the possibility

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...v-unlikely-to-remain-with-oilers-after-season

So there's three legitimate sources who have brought it up. That was after a bief google search so I'm certain you could find a TSN article too if you wanted (they were hammering on it at draft time for sure).

If you don't think the media likes the Yakupov and KHL angle then you simply have not been paying attention.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
en·ig·mat·ic
ˌenigˈmatik/
adjective
adjective: enigmatic; adjective: enigmatical

difficult to interpret or understand; mysterious.
"he took the money with an enigmatic smile"
synonyms: mysterious, inscrutable, puzzling, mystifying, baffling, perplexing, impenetrable, unfathomable, sphinxlike, Delphic, oracular;

Yakupov isn't enigmatic.

In fact he's pretty much the opposite... he's transparent and "simple" (not in terms of intelligence... just that he's not a difficult guy to figure out and doesn't have ulterior motives or mysterious reasons why he does what he does/says).

He simply wants to play and have fun. Works hard and just wants to help his team win.

He's immature and inexperienced certainly and naive imo as to what an all-around game needs to be at the NHL level and certainly his 2-way play including his positioning and ability to make best use of his teammates needs work and improvement... but enigmatic isn't a word I'd use to describe him at all.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Yakupov has over reacted to situations...the ice time incident last season (which involved Larionov) for example. This is simply evidence of an immature player adjusting to higher expectations and a different culture.

Not much of a story IMO...just a reality and its becoming less of a story with Yakupov showing more maturity in interviews like this.

Bad mood today Guymez? You're really hammer-heading this one, eh?

It's Sunday, aka a time for a beer and an NFL game.

Good article though. Yakupov already seemed more engaged in his interviews earlier last month. Pretty excited for him this season.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Let me be clear. I LOVE Yakupov and these types of articles and interviews make me supprot him even more. I was just addressing the idea that the media doesn't report on it with that spin. They do.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Some things have a tendency to jump off the page for me. Probably because I'm familiar with what people encounter as immigrants to the country.

- Did you start driving a car?

– Yes! It was about time to be the only NHL player brought to the practice by his parents! Right after a practice or a game I had to call my parents and ask them to get me home. And the whole locker room would take fun of me. Now I am a confident driver, last year I got my license in Russia and now I also have a Canadian one.

So wait, in this tight nucleus of a dressingroom not one Oiler player could go up to Yak and offer him a ride, make him comfortable, interact and spend some extra time with him? Strikes me as a bit odd. Or that the player that helped him find a home on this team is Johhny Boychuk, not even on this squad.

Just found the next two quotes interesting;
- Nail, how did you spend the summer?

– After the season I got back home as soon as I could because I really wanted to see my family and friends. I missed them a lot
(my view is that Yak was sad and somewhat overwhelmed last year. I wonder how out of sorts he felt here)

– We see each other every day, we practice together. If he has any problem, I’m always helping him. By the way, the team took the right decision limiting the time he can spend with me: this way he won’t speak Russian all the time and will be forced to speak English, and this will help him a lot at this point of his career
(cough)

- How is he doing? Is it hard to him now? (Yakimov)

– Yes, it is. I remember that it was very hard for me too at first

Always been my impression that Yak has struggled with the adaptation here but this is nothing irregular for a Russian player with big expectations on a new continent. I wonder if the team could do something more to make him feel more at home here. The juice is worth the squeeze with this one.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Some things have a tendency to jump off the page for me. Probably because I'm familiar with what people encounter as immigrants to the country.

So wait, in this tight nucleus of a dressingroom not one Oiler player could go up to Yak and offer him a ride, make him comfortable, interact and spend some extra time with him? Strikes me as a bit odd. Or that the player that helped him find a home on this team is Johhny Boychuk, not even on this squad.

Just found the next two quotes interesting;
(my view is that Yak was sad and somewhat overwhelmed last year. I wonder how out of sorts he felt here)

(cough)

Always been my impression that Yak has struggled with the adaptation here but this is nothing irregular for a Russian player with big expectations on a new continent. I wonder if the team could do something more to make him feel more at home here. The juice is worth the squeeze with this one.

Don't do it Replacement. This could have been a feel good thread, with nice intentions.

:cry:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Bad mood today Guymez? You're really hammer-heading this one, eh?

It's Sunday, let's time for a beer and an NFL game.

Good article though. Yakupov already seemed more engaged in his interviews earlier last month. Pretty excited for him this season.

:laugh:

The BS gets to me sometimes especially since there are copious amounts of it on these boards.

Just trying to do a public service here. :D

As for Yakupov his reactions to adversity have been enigmatic. Interviews like this are good to see because he is saying all the right things.

Now I am looking for some maturity on the ice when things dont go well. Then I will be convinced about Yakupov and his ability to navigate tough times. Until then why should people be able to question the player without being called into question themselves?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Yakupov has over reacted to situations...the ice time incident last season (which involved Larionov) for example. This is simply evidence of an immature player adjusting to higher expectations and a different culture. Yakupov has not handled adversity very well the past 2 seasons. He needs to grow up.

Not much of a story IMO...just a reality and its becoming less of a story with Yakupov showing more maturity in interviews like this. Now we see how he reacts to adversity on the ice.

That still doesn't show Yakupov as being enigmatic whatsoever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad