News Article: Interview with Nail Yakupov about his summer and personal relationships

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Sportsnet and the KHL

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/yakupov-grigorenko-nichushkin-and-the-khl/

Puck Daddy writing at Yahoo sports addressing the rumours and insinuating things with "At the moment"

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/puck-...-oilers-agent-debunks-khl-160114241--nhl.html

CBS Sports mentions the possibility

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...v-unlikely-to-remain-with-oilers-after-season

So there's three legitimate sources who have brought it up. That was after a bief google search so I'm certain you could find a TSN article too if you wanted (they were hammering on it at draft time for sure).

If you don't think the media likes the Yakupov and KHL angle then you simply have not been paying attention.

Thanks for posting it while I was looking. :handclap:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Don't do it Replacement. This could have been a feel good thread, with nice intentions.

:cry:

My intentions towards Yak are honorable. My faith in this org not so much. How successful have we been in recent years utilizing and accepting Euro players? I'm drawing blanks any that have worked out well here. If Oilers manage to screw up with a player like Yak (and last year they did big time) then this isn't about the players, its about the org and whats going on in a dressingroom.

Its not negative to bring up such things. Its about wanting to see better.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
My intentions towards Yak are honorable. My faith in this org not so much. How successful have we been in recent years utilizing and accepting Euro players? I'm drawing blanks any that have worked out well here. If Oilers manage to screw up with a player like Yak (and last year they did big time) then this isn't about the players, its about the org and whats going on in a dressingroom.

I read the article of course, and noticed those things as well, but I think you're reading too much into it.

That said, there's quite a bit to help make these assumptions. Let's just plug our ears, close our eyes and hope for the best.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon

Enlighten me; What euros have the Oilers failed to develop who have turned into star players elsewhere?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Sportsnet and the KHL

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/yakupov-grigorenko-nichushkin-and-the-khl/

Puck Daddy writing at Yahoo sports addressing the rumours and insinuating things with "At the moment"

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/puck-...-oilers-agent-debunks-khl-160114241--nhl.html

CBS Sports mentions the possibility

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...v-unlikely-to-remain-with-oilers-after-season

So there's three legitimate sources who have brought it up. That was after a bief google search so I'm certain you could find a TSN article too if you wanted (they were hammering on it at draft time for sure).

If you don't think the media likes the Yakupov and KHL angle then you simply have not been paying attention.

No mention that Yakupov is going to BOLT to the KHL. Just a general mention about Russian players and their options if the NHL experience gets bumpy. Is that something that shouldnt be talked about at all?
I dont see a damn thing wrong with having the discussion. If the best League in the world was in Russia I dont think anybody would find it offensive that Canadian players might consider playing back home if their experience didnt go well over there.

There is a difference between tabling a legitimate possibility and rumor mongering that the player is strongly considering such a move.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Enlighten me; What euros have the Oilers failed to develop who have turned into star players elsewhere?

Jesse Niinimaki put up some good seasons. Jani Rita had a lot of productive years back in Euro. Linus Omark is a bit of a stretch, but I think we can all understand that one. These are the players that have done well in other leagues.

Euros in the NHL?

Satan is the only one that comes to mind.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I read the article of course, and noticed those things as well, but I think you're reading too much into it.

That said, there's quite a bit to help make these assumptions. Let's just plug our ears, close our eyes and hope for the best.

To be clear I'm not making assumptions. Just narratively speaking some things jump off the page for me. As you state combined with information we already have and the extent Yak had to go to get vindication last year was pretty shocking. A player doesn't have his agent speaking on his behalf unless the player, (and probably parents) are feeling completed bewildered with the teams treatment of him. Events last year aren't imagined, they occurred. The people that were involved in such decisions that preceded such escalation are still at hand in incumbent positions.

Frankly I care more about a talented #1 draft pick then I do about Eakins. Biases? sure, I'll own that. But I can see this org saving one individual at the cost of another. Just a sense I get of an org that had no problems selling Souray down the river in favor of Tambo.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Jesse Niinimaki put up some good seasons. Jani Rita had a lot of productive years back in Euro. Linus Omark is a bit of a stretch, but I think we can all understand that one. These are the players that have done well in other leagues.

Euros in the NHL?

Satan is the only one that comes to mind.

Niinimaki? Rita? Omark?

Thing is, the reason why these guys didn't succeed in the NHL has nothing to do with the Oilers. At all.

Maybe says more about their drafting than anything.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
No mention that Yakupov is going to BOLT to the KHL. Just a general mention about Russian players and their options if the NHL experience gets bumpy. Is that something that shouldnt be talked about at all?
I dont see a damn thing wrong with having the discussion. If the best League in the world was in Russia I dont think anybody would find it offensive that Canadian players might consider playing back home if their experience didnt go well over there.

There is a difference between tabling a legitimate possibility and rumor mongering that the player is strongly considering such a move.

You're right. Couldn't find an article that used the specific word bolt. You win the internet.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
To be clear I'm not making assumptions. Just narratively speaking some things jump off the page for me. As you state combined with information we already have and the extent Yak had to go to get vindication last year was pretty shocking. A player doesn't have his agent speaking on his behalf unless the player, (and probably parents) are feeling completed bewildered with the teams treatment of him. Events last year aren't imagined, they occurred. The people that were involved in such decisions that preceded such escalation are still at hand in incumbent positions.

Frankly I care more about a talented #1 draft pick then I do about Eakins. Biases? sure, I'll own that.

Well, it's not hard to make an assumption based on the info we have, but I'd blame it less on the organization as a whole and instead the players and current coach. MacT and Yak seem to have a good relationship, and I've heard nothing about Yak having issues with any other "higher-ups".

I'm sorry if I'm missing the point, but when you state the "teams" treatment of him, I'm considering the Oilers as a whole.

I'm not going to post evidence supporting my claim (so if you're upset with it guymez, it's not because it's not there, it's because I'm lazy), but it's almost obvious that he's not meshing with the current roster and mentality of the group in the room. Sure, we don't have much insight, but what we're seeing on the ice is pretty indicative of the relationships off-ice.

You brought up the state of rides after practice or games, and the Johnny Boychuk house, and although I could use these examples to further support this claim, I'm not going to. I see it as a coincidence and will strike it up as a consequence of normal locker room behavior. The latter point with the housing situation seems very common as well. However, it does point towards a bigger problem in the dressing room than one based through the organization.

Anyways, the article should be proof of a more involved, engaged and prepared Yakupov which I'm pretty excited for. Hopefully we get a season where we don't have to speculate whether or not Hall had yelled at Yakupov during numerous shifts.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Thanks, I've been working on my internet maturity.

I herby bestow upon you the bronze webmaster badge.

webmaster.png

Congratulations

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Anyways, the article should be proof of a more involved, engaged and prepared Yakupov which I'm pretty excited for. Hopefully we get a season where we don't have to speculate whether or not Hall had yelled at Yakupov during numerous shifts.

My point is Yak was this way last year. He's always this way. He's a very positive guy and usually just beaming with enthusiasm. That the Oilers could take a player like that and piss all over him within one week in the season last year was shocking even to me.

Eakins benched what is basically a rookie 4 games into the season last year. Scratched him for two games. Singled him out for criticism. Player and player agent were very distressed at the treatment of the player. This is what occurred. Eakins for some reason playing hardball with a player with 48 games NHL experience.

We'll see what happens this year. We'll see if Yaks enthusiasm is nurtured at all this year.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
My point is Yak was this way last year. He's always this way. He's a very positive guy and usually just beaming with enthusiasm. That the Oilers could take a player like that and piss all over him within one week in the season last year was shocking even to me.

Eakins benched what is basically a rookie 4 games into the season last year. Scratched him for two games. Singled him out for criticism. Player and player agent were very distressed at the treatment of the player. This is what occurred. Eakins for some reason playing hardball with a player with 48 games NHL experience.

We'll see what happens this year. We'll see if Yaks enthusiasm is nurtured at all this year.

I don't think it can be overstated how big an addition Ramsay will be to this coaching staff - this is a guy that has been there and done that, and I think he will be huge for Yak's development and confidence, and Thompson to a lesser degree - he's got a solid reputation for working well with younger players.

Your point about Yak calling his parents for a ride is an interesting one. To me that speaks more poorly on the veterans than young guys like Hall. I'd imagine most of the young guys living together like Hall and Ebs or RNH and Schultz wouldn't have a ton of room left if they're riding together and transporting their equipment too, but you'd think someone like Hendricks, Ference, or Gordon would drive the kid home - especially after the rough ride he got from Eakins.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
So wait, in this tight nucleus of a dressingroom not one Oiler player could go up to Yak and offer him a ride, make him comfortable, interact and spend some extra time with him? Strikes me as a bit odd. Or that the player that helped him find a home on this team is Johhny Boychuk, not even on this squad.

We've seen pics of Yakupov out at the club with the guys after games. It's a pretty big jump from Yak saying his parents gave him rides to assuming no one on the team did anything for him.

As for a place to live, who on the Oilers would have an extra house in Edmonton lying around? This isn't like Gagner and Cogliano renting rooms off Gilbert.

Yakupov has his parents and sister here. They aren't all going to billet in Ference's basement.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I don't think it can be overstated how big an addition Ramsay will be to this coaching staff - this is a guy that has been there and done that, and I think he will be huge for Yak's development and confidence, and Thompson to a lesser degree - he's got a solid reputation for working well with younger players.

Your point about Yak calling his parents for a ride is an interesting one. To me that speaks more poorly on the veterans than young guys like Hall. I'd imagine most of the young guys living together like Hall and Ebs or RNH and Schultz wouldn't have a ton of room left if they're riding together and transporting their equipment too, but you'd think someone like Hendricks, Ference, or Gordon would drive the kid home - especially after the rough ride he got from Eakins.

You're telling me Ramsay and Thompson are the type of guys that won't scream and lose their cool over accidentally getting sprayed with a little water? :sarcasm:

Seriously though, Ramsay was the guy I wanted to hire after the Krueger firing. If he moved to Winnipeg after the purchase, Winnipeg would be in a better position today. Guaranteed.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
For my own speculative opinion, I think Yaks relative issues over the last two seasons (seemingly to me) has looked like a case of 'lost in translation'. I don't think he grasped English nuances particularly well between Jrs and the NHL. I think it's what contributed to the "looking lost" issues he some what frequently had. I also think a big difference between the Krueger and Eakins seasons, and his play is (imo) Krueger probably has better experience working with players who don't know a ton of English from his intl. days.

In his most recent video interviews, he has sounded like he put a pretty crazy amount of effort into his grasp on English. Even comparing to later ones last season.

I think he'll have a good year. I also think he will lose his description of being a poor defensive player. I think the above issues contributed a lot to his lack of an overall game. I'm hoping he rebounds.

That's just my speculation though.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I can't wait until Yakupov lights it up with Yakimov in 1-2 years ;)

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Haha, that's awesome. What do I need to do to get silver or gold?

You failed to mention my spelling mistake therefore you have to convince BBO to start blogging again.

To stay on point, great interview. I hope that Eakins treats Yak the same as everyone else (Ebs as well however in the opposite way).

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This part killed me:

Did you start driving a car?

– Yes! It was about time to be the only NHL player brought to the practice by his parents! Right after a practice or a game I had to call my parents and ask them to get me home. And the whole locker room would take fun of me. Now I am a confident driver, last year I got my license in Russia and now I also have a Canadian one.

:laugh: :laugh:

I hope we're patient with this kid and let him develop with Yakimov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad