Interesting Info: Part XXI (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Who is Seth Jones uncle? What kind of crap did he go through? I know his father is Popeye Jones. Looking at his mother's twitter feed, and how close he is to his mom, I'm thinking he is just keeping a low profile. He may feel there are others that could get the point across better than he could himself. Being part of a bi-racial family I find it hard to believe he is conservative as most of them frown on that. But hey, he could be.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
Who is Seth Jones uncle? What kind of crap did he go through? I know his father is Popeye Jones. Looking at his mother's twitter feed, and how close he is to his mom, I'm thinking he is just keeping a low profile. He may feel there are others that could get the point across better than he could himself. Being part of a bi-racial family I find it hard to believe he is conservative as most of them frown on that. But hey, he could be.

I dont know that he himself is conservative but based on his mom's twitter she is conservative, he could be very liberal for all I know, but I dont think he is.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
My curiosity got the better of me so I did some reading. The first sentence in this article from 2017 is pretty telling (the whole article is worth a read):

"NHL All-Star Seth Jones was taught to be colorblind, with one exception: chasing a black puck on white ice."

From a basketball jones to hockey: Seth Jones is in a league of his own

And then read any number of articles, like this one from 2015, on the color blindness concept:

"Many sociologists argue that ideologies claiming not to see race risk ignoring discrimination."

If You Don’t See Race, How Can You See Racial Inequality?

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
My curiosity got the better of me so I did some reading. The first sentence in this article from 2017 is pretty telling (the whole article is worth a read):

"NHL All-Star Seth Jones was taught to be colorblind, with one exception: chasing a black puck on white ice."

From a basketball jones to hockey: Seth Jones is in a league of his own

And then read any number of articles, like this one from 2015, on the color blindness concept:

"Many sociologists argue that ideologies claiming not to see race risk ignoring discrimination."

If You Don’t See Race, How Can You See Racial Inequality?
Reading that one article that mentioned Joel Wards overtime goal, I thought it was against the Rangers. As much as I like watching the Bruins lose, I can't believe I forgot it was against Boston. I was even watching that game.

That was a good article though. Seeing how he grew up and what he was taught, I can see why he is handling this the way he is. I have no problem with him not being more vocal, it isn't who he is.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Nice to see they are allowing a coach. It really didn't make sense for the players to work on their own, especially if they are getting ready for a playoff tournament. I know it is early and not a full team, but any chance to prepare properly should be given.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Blue Jackets coach John Tortorella has dropped his hard-line stance against those who would protest during the playing of the U.S. national anthem. He also has a suggestion for a way the sports world could help the country unite.

This is a deeply personal topic for Tortorella and his entire family, as his son, Nick Tortorella, 30, is an Army Ranger. As the anthem plays before NHL games, the 62-year-old coach whispers a prayer while standing on the bench with his players.

But Tortorella told The Athletic on Wednesday that his position has changed through “listening and watching” over the past few years, and especially in recent weeks as protests have been staged in Columbus and across the country following the death of George Floyd at the hands of police in Minneapolis.

“When I stand for the flag and the national anthem, my reflection is solely on the men and women who have given their lives defending our country and constitution and freedom, along with those who are serving today,” Tortorella said.

“I have learned over the years, listening and watching, that men and women who choose to kneel during this time mean no disrespect toward the flag.”
That’s a dramatic change for Tortorella from just four years ago.

At the World Cup of Hockey in 2016, Tortorella, Team USA’s coach in the tournament, famously told ESPN’s Linda Cohn: “If any of my players sit on the bench for the national anthem, they will sit there the rest of the game.”

At that time, San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick had ignited a firestorm across the country by sitting during the national anthem before NFL games. (He was later convinced by former NFL player and Green Beret Nate Boyer to kneel during the anthem instead of sit.)
Tortorella said he would no longer punish a player who wanted to protest.

“The World Cup is a little bit of a different story; that’s playing for your country,” Tortorella said. “But that isn’t now.

“I would hope that if one of my players wanted to protest during the anthem, he would bring it to me and we would talk about it, tell me his thoughts and what he wanted to do. From there, we would bring it to the team to discuss it, much like it’s being discussed in our country right now.

“How can we rectify some of these problems?”

I'm sure this will be dismissed as "being afraid of getting cancelled like Drew Brees" but yeah.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

This is an excellent example of why my prior disgust with Torts (before he was hired here) has been turning into love. The guy does screw up. The guy does make bad calls. The guy does do some dumb things. But afterwards, he takes the time to step back, he studies, and he pays attention, and learns, and strives to do better. He's showed it in his coaching here over the past several years, and he appears to be showing it in this as well. Can't help but have a ton of respect for that.

EDIT: And upon further review, it occurs to me that that's probably a huge part of his coaching philosophy. He'll be honest with you about when he sees a mistake, because he expects you to learn from your mistakes. So a "Torts-type" player would therefore basically somebody who's never too old to learn.
...which IMO is absolutely dead-on perfect.

Last edited:

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
This is an excellent example of why my prior disgust with Torts (before he was hired here) has been turning into love. The guy does screw up. The guy does make bad calls. The guy does do some dumb things. But afterwards, he takes the time to step back, he studies, and he pays attention, and learns, and strives to do better. He's showed it in his coaching here over the past several years, and he appears to be showing it in this as well. Can't help but have a ton of respect for that.

EDIT: And upon further review, it occurs to me that that's probably a huge part of his coaching philosophy. He'll be honest with you about when he sees a mistake, because he expects you to learn from your mistakes. So a "Torts-type" player would therefore basically somebody who's never too old to learn.
Great post.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

One of your best posts! And I suspect a guy who refuses to learn from his mistakes would frustrate the hell out of him - Sonny Milano, Anthony Duclair.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So this seems to have started a bloodbath on Twitter...

Is Seth Jones Actually Elite?

I'm not sold on the author's conclusions and I take serious issue with the clickbaity headline, but I nonetheless think he's doing something highly valuable - noticing a discrepancy between advanced stats and "the eye test", and investigating more in-depth. That's what you're supposed to do when you see such a discrepancy - not just pick one and insist that the other is therefore invalidated.

Reactions: Monk

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Is there some story there - did Doug Maclean actually double shift Lasse?

Dec. 19, 2002
Finnish forward Lasse Pirjeta scored two goals in a game against the Calgary Flames. With the CBJ leading 3-0 late in the third period, a fan behind the home bench begins to encourage head coach Doug Maclean to give Pirjeta extra shifts in hopes of getting the player a hat trick, even an empty netter.

"Come on, Dougie! Double-shift Lasse," the fan yells.

"I think I ordered that at Horton's the other day," the fan says out loud to no one in particular.

Laughter ensued from 5-6 fans seated in the same section.

Two years later, that same fan joined a hockey message board and, needing a screen name...

It was me. I was the fan.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Dec. 19, 2002
Finnish forward Lasse Pirjeta scored two goals in a game against the Calgary Flames. With the CBJ leading 3-0 late in the third period, a fan behind the home bench begins to encourage head coach Doug Maclean to give Pirjeta extra shifts in hopes of getting the player a hat trick, even an empty netter.

"Come on, Dougie! Double-shift Lasse," the fan yells.

"I think I ordered that at Horton's the other day," the fan says out loud to no one in particular.

Laughter ensued from 5-6 fans seated in the same section.

Two years later, that same fan joined a hockey message board and, needing a screen name...

It was me. I was the fan.

Ah got it. I always thought your username was a pure joke about the depth of those early Jackets teams. It does function that way!

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
was he playing checkers with the ghost of Arturs Irbe?

Also, does the evil Joonas Smorpisalo show up in a future episode and try to take Elvis' knee out with a lead pipe?

Chess, but yes, good eye. It was the ghost of Arturs Irbe.

The only evil characters so far are the Rat King (Marchand) and Tchucky (sp.? M. Tkachuk), so I don't think Joonas is evil enough to get a doppelganger in this series. Maybe if he smashes his stick some more, particularly on an opponent, like Hextall. That's one way to get on the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad