Interesting Info: Part XXI (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
In an alternative universe where Panarin (or Panarin and Bob) had signed a big contract extension with the CBJ, we would have a thread on this board about escrow.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Welcome to Last Word on Hockey’s One Hit Wonder series. Each day, we will take a look at a new team’s three biggest one-hit wonders. These are players that had one great season or playoff run but never did anything like that again. Join us every day for a new team! Today we take a look at the Columbus Blue Jackets One Hit Wonders.

The Columbus Blue Jackets Top Three One Hit Wonders

Steve Mason

Up first on the list for the Columbus Blue Jackets One Hit Wonders is Steve Mason. Mason was drafted in the third round, 69th overall by the Blue Jackets in 2006 NHL Entry Draft. While he started 2007-08 with the big club, he was returned to his junior club the London Knights. He was the starting goalie for Team Canada at the 2008 World Junior Championships and led them to a fourth straight gold medal at the time. During the tournament, Mason was traded from the Knights to the Kitchener Rangers right before the semi-final game.

After returning from the World Juniors, Mason went back up to the Blue Jackets to fill in as an emergency goalie, however, his services were not needed. Once back in junior, Mason suffered a knee injury during the regular season. He played through it for several weeks, before he was pulled from the lineup after the first round of the OHL Playoffs. Mason underwent arthroscopic knee surgery missing the remainders of the OHL Playoffs and the 2008 Memorial Cup. His team went on to win the OHL Championship but fell in the Memorial Cup without him.

One Hit Season

Mason’s best season came during the 2008-09 season with the Blue Jackets, however, things did not start that great. He needed another knee surgery and missed the first month of the season with the Blue Jackets AHL Affiliate. However, once he got back on track, and Pascal Leclaire suffered an injury, Mason was called up in November 2008. From there Mason took the world by storm. He got his first victory in his NHL debut and a few nights later picked up his first career NHL Shutout.

Even with Leclaire back from injury, Mason continued to start. He was named the NHL Rookie of the Month for November after posting a 5-2-1 record that included three straight wins and two shutouts. Things continued to go well being named Rookie of the Month again for December as he posted three straight shutouts with a record of 7-5, 1.41 goals-against average and .950 save percentage. Mason finished the season with 33-20-7 recording posting a 2.29 goals-against average and .916 save percentage. He won the Calder Memorial Trophy for rookie of the year. In addition, he was nominated for the Vezina Trophy as the NHL’s top goaltender. However, that magic did not carry over to the 2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs as Columbus lost to the Detroit Red Wings in four games.

The article continues here
https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/06/28/columbus-blue-jackets-one-hit-wonders/

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Signing bonuses get paid tomorrow for the 2020-21 season. Good stewardship for the Jackets on this part, they just have a few entry level contract signing bonuses to pay out. Nothing like the millions that will hit the bank accounts of McDavid, Matthews, Price, etc tomorrow.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I looked up "Forslund contract" and he is now technically a free agent. I imagine he's asking for a very big payday, and I hope the Jackets are the ones to pay it.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I looked up "Forslund contract" and he is now technically a free agent. I imagine he's asking for a very big payday, and I hope the Jackets are the ones to pay it.

No details on what he's asking.....but he told a local reporter he's gone and it wasn't his choice

Either money and him missing Canes games to do National games...or combo of both

Dundon has cut off talk of any extension apparently

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Forslund is a great announcer, maybe my favorite. He's been in the Carolina organization since the Hartford days so unless he's asking for the moon, I would think they could come to some sort of agreement.

Reactions: majormajor

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Forslund will probably just join nbc as their #2 guy. Allows him to cover the game a lot, but still take a step back and not work as much while getting paid very well.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Forslund would be a great hire for the Jackets but he seems a good candidate for NBCSN. Also possible and more likely than Columbus is the Tampa PBP slot. Rick Peckham, one of my favorite PBP announcers who I’ll greatly miss when watching their games, just retired and in what’d be an interesting irony is that Forslund replaced Peckham in Hartford when he left for TB.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Dec. 19, 2002
Finnish forward Lasse Pirjeta scored two goals in a game against the Calgary Flames. With the CBJ leading 3-0 late in the third period, a fan behind the home bench begins to encourage head coach Doug Maclean to give Pirjeta extra shifts in hopes of getting the player a hat trick, even an empty netter.

"Come on, Dougie! Double-shift Lasse," the fan yells.

"I think I ordered that at Horton's the other day," the fan says out loud to no one in particular.

Laughter ensued from 5-6 fans seated in the same section.

Two years later, that same fan joined a hockey message board and, needing a screen name...

It was me. I was the fan.

Any very long-timers around here might remember jacketracket. Was one of the more active members when I signed on. His profile pic was of someone drinking a giant mug of Tim Horton's coffee. He was one of about 3-4 others I sort of associated the forum with in the days after I first signed on, which is think was during a lockout, but whatever. Top Shelf (a one-time mod who eventually left but I'm pretty sure is the celebrated fan who tackled the Wings fan octopus thrower at Nationwide); 3mta3, who's been gone for years but who was the first to pick up on a little thing I was doing, typing this game is critical in every GDT (and I still have the PM to prove it); and a still semi-active poster who I think has a different screen name now and who turned out to be a then-co-worker.

Anyway... jacketracket was one of the 5-6 fans who was there at the first utterance.

EDIT: we did not know each other. When I showed up here, he said ‘I think we’ve met and I think I was there when your screen name was created. Do you sit in 103?’

Anyway he got banned from here and came back once after but has been gone for ages. He wasn’t in 103 much longer, either. And now, neither am I.

END EDIT

Why do I share this story? Mostly boredom. And now you're bored, too.

Last edited:

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Any very long-timers around here might remember jacketracket. Was one of the more active members when I signed on. His profile pic was of someone drinking a giant mug of Tim Horton's coffee. He was one of about 3-4 others I sort of associated the forum with in the days after I first signed on, which is think was during a lockout, but whatever. Top Shelf (a one-time mod who eventually left but I'm pretty sure is the celebrated fan who tackled the Wings fan octopus thrower at Nationwide); 3mta3, who's been gone for years but who was the first to pick up on a little thing I was doing, typing this game is critical in every GDT (and I still have the PM to prove it); and a still semi-active poster who I think has a different screen name now and who turned out to be a then-co-worker.

Anyway... jacketracket was one of the 5-6 fans who was there at the first utterance.

EDIT: we did not know each other. When I showed up here, he said ‘I think we’ve met and I think I was there when your screen name was created. Do you sit in 103?’

Anyway he got banned from here and came back once after but has been gone for ages. He wasn’t in 103 much longer, either. And now, neither am I.

END EDIT

Why do I share this story? Mostly boredom. And now you're bored, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad