Interesting Info: Part XXI (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I saw someone on Twitter today say that we'd seen the last of Josh Anderson in a CBJ uniform. He seems to be the only one saying this, and I haven't found anything else.

I don't believe it, but has anyone else heard this?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Drew Brees being lamblasted for saying he would continue to stand for the anthem , and why he would , should tell you all you need to know why most choose to stay silent . Because heaven for bid you have an opinion that doesn’t jive with the angry left / cancel culture out there. I personally found it refreshing myself

Was it the ‘angry left’ and ‘cancel culture’ that made Colin Kaepernick a pariah?

Reactions: GoJackets1

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Was it the ‘angry left’ and ‘cancel culture’ that made Colin Kaepernick a pariah?
No that would be his true self shining thru . When you wear pig socks , Praise Castro , Go to job interviews and the next morning refer to the gm as a slave master , those are just some of the things that did him in . Aside from him being a bad qb , and getting beat out by Blaine Gabbert

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I saw someone on Twitter today say that we'd seen the last of Josh Anderson in a CBJ uniform. He seems to be the only one saying this, and I haven't found anything else.

I don't believe it, but has anyone else heard this?

Only his opinion, likely from Portzline’s speculation. But yes I’ve seen it online

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
OK, well that's already more information than the post I saw. What was Porty saying?

He has been saying for months that he believes Anderson is done here. That the relationship between the players/agent and the team is untenable unless the Jackets pay him what he feels he deserves.

It is his assumption that if he doesn't get the long term deal he wants, he will accept his qualifying offer and walk straight to UFA after this year. Leading him to believe the Jackets will cut their losses and trade him before he can accept the QO in hopes of maximizing his value.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
No that would be his true self shining thru . When you wear pig socks , Praise Castro , Go to job interviews and the next morning refer to the gm as a slave master , those are just some of the things that did him in . Aside from him being a bad qb , and getting beat out by Blaine Gabbert

So when people voice an opinion you agree with that results in backlash, that’s the backlash’s fault. But when it’s a opinion you disagree with, it’s the opinion voicer’s fault?

Got it. And people wonder why we can’t have constructive dialogue.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
He has been saying for months that he believes Anderson is done here. That the relationship between the players/agent and the team is untenable unless the Jackets pay him what he feels he deserves.

It is his assumption that if he doesn't get the long term deal he wants, he will accept his qualifying offer and walk straight to UFA after this year. Leading him to believe the Jackets will cut their losses and trade him before he can accept the QO in hopes of maximizing his value.
Hmm.

Well, he’s got four points in 26 games and hasn’t played since December, so... I’m guessing the team is unlikely to cave on this one.

Reactions: thebus88

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I don’t know but the NFL just apologized sooo...
"We were wrong," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says - CBS News
Late to the game and I doubt motivated by genuine intent, although I’d be happy to be wrong there. But at least it’s something.

Meanwhile Andy is always either right about to rejoin the team, 5-6 months away or ready to jump ship. I’ve given up figuring that out.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The term “Black Ace” was once used negatively. The term originated from Eddie Shore, who would refer to spare players as a “Black Ace.” Shore would say that a team would be in bad shape if they had to use one of their Black Aces in a game. However, recently, it has been used more positively. A team would use a Black Ace to help them overcome the loss of a player or if they thought a different player could be utilized in a way to help the team win. Let’s look at the Blue Jackets aces in the hole.

There is a chance, especially at forward, that we could see Black Aces play. Columbus only has one full-time player, Devin Shore, scratched for Liam Foudy in beat reporter Aaron Portzline’s estimation of their playoff line-up. We’re not considering full-time players as Black Aces in this series, so Shore doesn’t count. However, given that Foudy has not proven himself as a full-time NHLer yet, he’s going to be a Black Ace and Shore will get that spot for this article. That leaves defencemen Scott Harrington and Dean Kukan as the only full-time NHL players scratched. The Blue Jackets lost 419 man-games to injury this season, if the injury bug follows them, there could be many Black Aces that play. Let’s see whom they are starting with the forwards.
Liam Foudy

In this year’s Future Watch edition of the Hockey News, Portzline wrote that Foudy “would almost certainly” have made the team this year if he didn’t have a shoulder injury in the preseason. Foudy played most of this season in the Ontario Hockey League, scoring 68 points in 45 games and scored four points in seven games on Canada’s world junior gold medal team. However, he played two games in the NHL because of a rarely used rule between the NHL and Canadian Hockey League, and was effective. He scored an assist, never gave the puck up, had three shots and hits, and had a 65 corsi for percentage during even strength.

The full article continues here...
Columbus Blue Jackets Black Aces - Last Word on Hockey

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
...which would be missing the point of the protests.

If he would have said all the reasons he chooses to stand, but “I know the protests aren’t about the flag, or my relatives in the military. But I disagree with the method of which they bring apart their message. However, I agree with their message and I will do (XYZ) to help do my part to end police brutality among minorities.” Nobody would have batted an eye.

“Offended the majority of the country” all I’ll say to this is lol. The only people who made it about the anthem were the people who were offended. The protests were never and have never been about the flag or the military. Ever.

“find a better way” so people condemned people for silently kneeling during an anthem. Then they condemn people for speaking out on social media and that they should stick to sports. Then they speak out against protesting the police because “that’s who you call whenever you need help.” Then they condemned them for rioting and causing violence “do it the peaceful way like MLK.”

sounds like people just don’t want to hear their voice to me.

At the risk of getting too far out of hand, and Viqsi can delete this post if necessary:

The bolded is completely not true. Kaepernick's first quote about the whole thing way back in August 2016 was about not having pride in the flag. You mention what Brees could have said, but here's what Kap could have said back then: something like, "I believe very strongly in America's values that are represented in the flag. However, at this moment in time, we are not seeing those values applied fairly to all of her citizens, specifically people of color, due to issues like police brutality and systemic racism. I am trying to bring awareness so that ALL of America's citizens are treated the way they rightfully ought to be according to the Constitution that flag represents, which is why I'm kneeling before it to hopefully lead to a more equitable society for all Americans, regardless of race." That was not the original basis of his protest. (To his credit, he did try to morph it more in that direction after the initial heavy backlash.) In addition, he also did other things as Bread Man said such as wear a shirt with Castro on it and defend the Castro regime (I'm a Cuban American whose grandfather came to America in the midst of Castro's violent revolution which led to his barbaric, tyrannical, murderous regime. Yeah, Kap... that didn't help me be sympathetic to your cause.). There's a lot of revisionist history when it comes to Kap.

This is not to say bringing the flag into it wasn't the most effective way for Kap to get the change he was/is looking for. Protests have to make people uncomfortable (and maybe angry) to be most effective. And of course, the First Amendment of the country whose flag he has/had no pride in allowed him to do that protest without being put in prison or executed. But it was absolutely about the flag.

A great idea I've seen floated would be to protest in the following way throughout the league for the entire season: instead of during the national anthem, after the game's opening kickoff, before the first offensive play, all of the players get down on a knee for the duration of the play clock. The offensive team is penalized for delay of game, the defensive team declines the penalty and the game gets back underway normally. This: a) completely takes the flag/anthem out of the discussion; and b) allows the protests to reach a greater audience (the NFL doesn't show the national anthem on TV during the regular season, so this would actually allow millions more people to see the protest, and the commentators could even talk about it for those 40 seconds).

If those against Kaepernick don't like it, it means it's not about the flag to them, it's really that they don't like the message/don't like being uncomfortably made to consider some underlying issues that might exist in this country. If those in favor of Kaepernick don't like it, it means it's primarily about the flag, not the message (or at the least, they feel they need to bring the flag into it to ... which again means there's something underlying about it being about the flag. Perhaps those players feel the need/want to do something that could actually be considered disrespectful to the flag if they think it's the best way to go about it. That's within their rights, but it means the "it's never been about the flag" is a lie.)

At the end of the day, and bringing this all back in, I think this thread (and the treatment of Brees, who made an ill-timed, tone deaf comment but not a racist one yet got ridiculously destroyed/cancelled despite being a former Walter Payton Man of the Year and donating over $30 million in his career to various causes like Katrina relief and Covid recovery that significantly helped NO's black residents, among other NO residents) makes it easy to see why Seth might not speak up more. His thoughts in the Athletic article were fine. Maybe he doesn't feel the need to go beyond those thoughts, or maybe he has other thoughts on the issues that a lot of people might not take too kindly to and now doesn't feel comfortable expressing.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The bolded is completely not true. Kaepernick's first quote about the whole thing way back in August 2016 was about not having pride in the flag. You mention what Brees could have said, but here's what Kap could have said back then: something like, "I believe very strongly in America's values that are represented in the flag. However, at this moment in time, we are not seeing those values applied fairly to all of her citizens, specifically people of color, due to issues like police brutality and systemic racism. I am trying to bring awareness so that ALL of America's citizens are treated the way they rightfully ought to be according to the Constitution that flag represents, which is why I'm kneeling before it to hopefully lead to a more equitable society for all Americans, regardless of race." That was not the original basis of his protest. (To his credit, he did try to morph it more in that direction after the initial heavy backlash.) In addition, he also did other things as Bread Man said such as wear a shirt with Castro on it and defend the Castro regime (I'm a Cuban American whose grandfather came to America in the midst of Castro's violent revolution which led to his barbaric, tyrannical, murderous regime. Yeah, Kap... that didn't help me be sympathetic to your cause.). There's a lot of revisionist history when it comes to Kap.

This is not to say bringing the flag into it wasn't the most effective way for Kap to get the change he was/is looking for. Protests have to make people uncomfortable (and maybe angry) to be most effective. And of course, the First Amendment of the country whose flag he has/had no pride in allowed him to do that protest without being put in prison or executed. But it was absolutely about the flag.

He DID say that the first time he knelt when later asked about it. And yes, he did say "I won't show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color." So it was and wasn't about the flag, but let's not act like he said "eff the flag" or something.

But let's not act like Brees got blowback and Kaepernick didn't. And let's also not act like Kaepernick hasn't also donated large amounts of money to causes.

But the argument as posed here is "Brees made a misstep but let's not give him shit for it" and at the same time "Kaepernick made a misstep and he deserves all the shit he gets because he's a this or he did that."

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
He DID say that the first time he knelt when later asked about it. And yes, he did say "I won't show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color." So it was and wasn't about the flag, but let's not act like he said "eff the flag" or something.

But let's not act like Brees got blowback and Kaepernick didn't. And let's also not act like Kaepernick hasn't also donated large amounts of money to causes.

But the argument as posed here is "Brees made a misstep but let's not give him shit for it" and at the same time "Kaepernick made a misstep and he deserves all the shit he gets because he's a this or he did that."
Everyone who attacked Kaepernick tried to make the point that he was disrespecting the military, and I always wanted to know: Why is the military the one thing about America that everyone decided it was about?

The flag, and the anthem, represents ALL of America. The military. The constitution. The people. Congress. Culture. How come no one decided he was disrespecting Major League Baseball? Or apple pie? Or the auto industry? Everyone, blanket statement, "HE HATES THE MILITARY!!!"

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Anyway the Kaepernick thing is old and, while obviously apt not only as juxtaposed against the Brees thing but amid the current slate of protests, this is about as far as the topic should go, per Viqsi's comment on the previous page. We can address the matter via CBJ-related stuff but that's probably it, present company included.

Last edited:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I know it will likley not be a popular opinion (and yes I am a middle aged white guy) but I really don't like the kneeling during the anthem.
I am all for protesting, but why do it doing the anthem? Put it this way wouldn't something more powerful be if the Lakers are in the NBA finals and down by 1 with 6 seconds in game 7. Davis in bounds to Lebron, Lebron dribbles twice, lays the ball down and takes a knee. If you want to make a point and have everyone talk about it that's how it's done. Sacrifice a potential championship, sacrifice personal stats and raise awareness. You don't think every media outlet would talk about that forever?

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
To not rehash old (and non-CBJ relevant) debates, I won't comment anymore specifically on Kap/Brees. But as it relates to Seth, he might not want to get into the debate based on the divisive nature (as seen in his thread). But he also (sorta relatedly) might just have a different opinoin. Steve Nash said something on Twitter like, "This is a white problem" and Seth's mom Amy (who of course is white) responded something like, "No, this is an all of us problem" and received a bit of pushback on it (nothing too intense or anything, but a heavy amount of disagreement). Maybe Seth has an opinion similar to his mom but doesn't want/know how to express it?

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned: why isn't he speaking out like Aliu did? Well, Aliu mentioned three incidents (Downie, Peters, a random fan when he was a kid). Maybe Seth has never experienced that. I'm not downgrading Aliu's experiences for Aliu himself, because they were horrific. But his article didn't make it seem like he was treated slightly unfairly/biasedly by a good chunk of people in the game; rather he was treated horrifically by a very, very small number of people. Well maybe Seth's never ran into any people like that in his career so can't really draw much/offer much specifically on that front besides saying he supports Aliu's overall message.

I'm just saying, in a nutshell, I expect/demand our guys to be upstanding citizens and ideally be actively involved in some form in the community. If they want to be expressive on certain topics, more power to them. Obviously guys like Nick and Cam have always been extremely active and vocal for a wide variety of charitable causes and good for them for continuing to be on this front. But Seth's never really been that guy; he (like Boone) has always been a bit more to the quiet/reserved side than guys like Nick and Cam. Doesn't mean they're not involved in the community or leaders (they both are), it's just different. And I don't think Seth has to say anything more than what he did, and I don't think not doing so on this particular topic impacts his leadership on the ice or in the community at all.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
To not rehash old (and non-CBJ relevant) debates, I won't comment anymore specifically on Kap/Brees. But as it relates to Seth, he might not want to get into the debate based on the divisive nature (as seen in his thread). But he also (sorta relatedly) might just have a different opinoin. Steve Nash said something on Twitter like, "This is a white problem" and Seth's mom Amy (who of course is white) responded something like, "No, this is an all of us problem" and received a bit of pushback on it (nothing too intense or anything, but a heavy amount of disagreement). Maybe Seth has an opinion similar to his mom but doesn't want/know how to express it?

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned: why isn't he speaking out like Aliu did? Well, Aliu mentioned three incidents (Downie, Peters, a random fan when he was a kid). Maybe Seth has never experienced that. I'm not downgrading Aliu's experiences for Aliu himself, because they were horrific. But his article didn't make it seem like he was treated slightly unfairly/biasedly by a good chunk of people in the game; rather he was treated horrifically by a very, very small number of people. Well maybe Seth's never ran into any people like that in his career so can't really draw much/offer much specifically on that front besides saying he supports Aliu's overall message.

I'm just saying, in a nutshell, I expect/demand our guys to be upstanding citizens and ideally be actively involved in some form in the community. If they want to be expressive on certain topics, more power to them. Obviously guys like Nick and Cam have always been extremely active and vocal for a wide variety of charitable causes and good for them for continuing to be on this front. But Seth's never really been that guy; he (like Boone) has always been a bit more to the quiet/reserved side than guys like Nick and Cam. Doesn't mean they're not involved in the community or leaders (they both are), it's just different. And I don't think Seth has to say anything more than what he did, and I don't think not doing so on this particular topic impacts his leadership on the ice or in the community at all.

It's been a while since this has come up but Seth was asked about race several times early in his career and he was always careful to say that he identifies as "mixed", as opposed to black, and that he is more heavily shaped by his white mother. I remember him saying that he didn't grow up experiencing the kind of discrimination black athletes have talked about experiencing. That all seems plausible as he is light skinned and grew up in a very blessed situation.

Personally, I think it's really beautiful how close Seth, Caleb, and Amy are. I also think they have stupid politics, and the awkwardness of that in this moment is why Seth is trying to avoid the topic after sharing that awful message early on (the same one Eichel shared). But that's another matter, I am very happy to have them a part of the Blue Jackets family.

Reactions: We Want Ten

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

I don't see what would be wrong with saying (if this is the case), "You know, I've been fortunate to play in some really good organizations in my career. Portland, Nashville, Columbus, etc. I saw all players treated fairly and equally. I think these are model organizations that all hockey programs should try to mimic because of x, y, z..."

Instead, he takes this mushy middle ground - "appreciate those guys speaking up...we need to continue to have guys speak up because speaking up brings about awareness, and awareness is how we root out the problem." He's been a *CAPTAIN* on multiple World Juniors teams. He has no insights as to whether or not he saw racism at any level he's played (whether levied against him or other minority players)? He has no insights as to whether or not teams he's been on have treated players fairly, and if so, how that equitable culture came to be?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Your post made it seem like you called him out because he's black. My apologies if that wasn't the case. Does Boone Jenner deserve the same criticism, or does being Canadian make him exempt?

And ultimately, I don't agree that a professional athlete should be criticized for not "using their platform" in a way that is visible to us. Who knows what he is doing without public knowledge.

PS. The very fact that we're having this conversation is important and I'm very happy it's happening.

No, sorry was referring to his wearing the "A." And my apologies for the delayed response.

Honestly, I don't know if Boone is super active on social media. And I can't find any recent interviews from him in the last week. Seth is somewhat active on Twitter (less on Instagram) and...well...you can go to his accounts to see what he has posted about in the last few weeks. I only noticed because I follow him and I saw Nick and Cam put out their statements.

To me, it was more about Nick and Cam setting a standard among the CBJ, let alone the other high-profile players and captains around the league. Seth wears an A, so he's often looked to for more leadership. I don't think every hockey player is or should be looked to for using their platform on societal issues. Like, I have no idea if Dean Kukan has put out a statement, for example. The latest podcast from Portzline and Lukan noted some postings from CBJ players and how widespread these issues are being discussed right now in the hockey world. So to me, Seth giving some milquetoast, standard language answers in an interview and nothing (except reposting a picture from PK Subban) on his social media (while finding time to post about other things) shows either a) a lack of leadership or b) a mis-read of the moment. Nearly the entire hockey world is having discussions on race (both in society and hockey) and going about ways to affect change (Hockey Diversity Alliance was just formed, players making donations and calling out organizations to support, some players attending protests in their cities, etc.). Seth bringing himself to only say "protests are appreciated, we need change" is kind of a big miss from a leadership perspective, imo - though I do understand that some fans don't care or expect anything from players on more social issues.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I don't see what would be wrong with saying (if this is the case), "You know, I've been fortunate to play in some really good organizations in my career. Portland, Nashville, Columbus, etc. I saw all players treated fairly and equally. I think these are model organizations that all hockey programs should try to mimic because of x, y, z..."

Instead, he takes this mushy middle ground - "appreciate those guys speaking up...we need to continue to have guys speak up because speaking up brings about awareness, and awareness is how we root out the problem." He's been a *CAPTAIN* on multiple World Juniors teams. He has no insights as to whether or not he saw racism at any level he's played (whether levied against him or other minority players)? He has no insights as to whether or not teams he's been on have treated players fairly, and if so, how that equitable culture came to be?

I'll just say it again, the onus isn't on Seth Jones to teach us ignorant white folks about racism in hockey.

Be disappointed in him as a CBJ leader if you want, but it still sounds to me like he's under extra scrutiny because he's a person of color.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I'll just say it again, the onus isn't on Seth Jones to teach us ignorant white folks about racism in hockey.

You're right, the onus isn't on him - but this is clearly a time when racism (and other bigotry) in hockey is being discussed and thought about in new ways. If he appreciates the other players speaking up to bring about awareness because that's what is needed, I'm not sure why he wants to give zero insight (whether good or bad - i.e. he saw mistreatment of minority players or he saw being players treated equally on all the teams he's been on) on the matter. He got asked about it and essentially dodged.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
You're right, the onus isn't on him - but this is clearly a time when racism (and other bigotry) in hockey is being discussed and thought about in new ways. If he appreciates the other players speaking up to bring about awareness because that's what is needed, I'm not sure why he wants to give zero insight (whether good or bad - i.e. he saw mistreatment of minority players or he saw being players treated equally on all the teams he's been on) on the matter. He got asked about it and essentially dodged.

He has certainly experienced, and continues to experience, racism. No question there. We don't need him to tell us that.

We also don't need to know why he, to date, hasn't been more vocal. It's none of our business. Maybe it's simply too painful.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
My guess is he's not vocal because he is has conservative views and conservatives often get ran through the cleaners on social media. Not to many people outside of a few in Columbus asks why Seth Jones isn't vocal, but you can bet your behind that if he says something twitterverse doesn't agree with, many more will hear and comment about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Be disappointed in him as a CBJ leader if you want, but it still sounds to me like he's under extra scrutiny because he's a person of color.

My guess is he's not vocal because he is has conservative views and conservatives often get ran through the cleaners on social media. Maybe he watched the crap his uncle went through back in the day and is being coached to keep silent to protect his overall image. Not to many people outside of a few in Columbus asks why Seth Jones isn't vocal, but you can bet your behind that if he says something twitterverse doesn't agree with, many more will hear and comment about it.

Can I ask if people are already aware of the conservative views Seth and his family have already shared on this topic? Are we beating around the bush here? I don't think it's a wild guess that that is the reason he dodged the question in the Portzline interview.

For me that is why he is under scrutiny. He already stepped into the conversation and got flak on social media for sharing a "personal responsibility" message on instagram - in my opinion a very tone deaf thing to say after someone is murdered. Since then so many hockey players have waded into the conversation and a lot has been changing around the country. I think that is the natural subtext to why we want Seth to clarify his views.

I agree that his mixed racial background should have no bearing on whether he is expected to speak. The reason so many White athletes have been pressed into being vocal is because black athletes like Evander Kane have a terrible burden in situations like this. They have far more to deal with on an emotional level when these moments arise and you can't expect them to take on the full time job of educating others on their experience, and when they are the only ones to speak up then of course nothing changes.

Reactions: Monk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad