LeBrun: Interest Picking Up on Marcus Johansson

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
No way a 1st after what he's been going through these last couple years and his playoff resume is kinda meh. If you ask me, he was always sort of part of the problem with the Caps in those disappointing playoff runs. No finish (9 goals in 70 something playoff games) and lacks another gear in terms of grinding.

2nd i can see.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
No way a 1st after what he's been going through these last couple years and his playoff resume is kinda meh. If you ask me, he was always sort of part of the problem with the Caps in those disappointing playoff runs. No finish (9 goals in 70 something playoff games) and lacks another gear in terms of grinding.

2nd i can see.

Long term health concerns usually do not matter when bringing in a UFA rental

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
MoJo is a smart, two-way, top 6 LW. He can easily fetch a 1st + in the deadline market

This year isn't a normal trade deadline though ....

Panarin = 1ST
Duchene = 1ST
Stone = 1ST
Hayes = 1ST
Schenn = 1ST
Kreider = 1ST
Silfverberg
E.Stall
Ferland
Simmonds
Nyquist
Dzingel
Henrique
Zuccarello
Carter
Steen
Maroon

Why overpay for Johansson with so many options available?

How many contenders even have their 2019 1st? Maybe 5?

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City

Panarin
Duchene
Stone
Hayes
Schenn
Ferland
Simmonds
Silfverberg
E.Stall
Nyquist
Dzingel
Henrique
Zuccarello
Carter
Kreider
Steen
Maroon

Many of those other players will cost much more than just a first. I sincerely doubt MoJo will get a first but it is possible. A 2nd plus another pick or decent prospect is more like it.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Many of those other players will cost much more than just a first. I sincerely doubt MoJo will get a first but it is possible. A 2nd plus another pick or decent prospect is more like it.

You make it sound as if 10 1st rounders are being moved this deadline :laugh:

That's in addition to the Leafs, who just gave up a 1st and other teams that don't even have a 2019 1st.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
You make it sound as if 10 1st rounders are being moved this deadline :laugh:

That's in addition to the Leafs, who just gave up a 1st and other teams that don't even have a 2019 1st.

You’re right - there is a finite supply of available-for-trade 1st round picks this deadline.

In a “normal” deadline year, in a vacuum, nearly all of those names mentioned would return a 1st.

It won’t work that way this year. “Name brand” value won’t get you as far this year as it would in other years. Saturated market, fellas... simple economics.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Panarin
Duchene
Stone
Hayes
Schenn
Ferland
Simmonds
Silfverberg
E.Stall
Nyquist
Dzingel
Henrique
Zuccarello
Carter
Kreider
Steen
Maroon

There will be no real overpayments this year.
If you can spend a first and some assets to acquire a top line player, why would anyone step up for a 1st for a middle 6 guy. In previous years it's happened, but this one ain't it.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
A good fit would be for the St.Louis Blues to add some secondary scoring. Klim Kostin and a second for Johansson.. ReasonableÉ

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Panarin = 1ST
Duchene = 1ST
Stone = 1ST
Hayes = 1ST
Schenn = 1ST
Kreider = 1ST
Silfverberg
E.Stall
Ferland
Simmonds
Nyquist
Dzingel
Henrique
Zuccarello
Carter
Steen
Maroon

How many contenders even have their 2019 1st? Maybe 5?
TBL's 1st is conditional with NYR so they can't trade it (other than to NYR from what i understand)
SJS has no 1st
TOR has no 1st

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
A team like Boston really needs secondary scoring, and he is a perfect compliment to that top six. I could see him being a good fit with Krejci. Islanders, Canadiens, Hurricanes, Blues and Dallas could use him as well

The problem with Boston, and some of the names that come up is.

Boston has 2 Centers, 1 pure RW, and then about 7 or 8 LW that they are dressing on a nightly basis. Getting more LW doesn't help Boston

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
Not saying we will definitely get a 1st for Johansson, but you can't compare what a team got for a player when they were desperate to dump salary in July to what a team could get for a player at the deadline. History supports this.

We got a 2nd for Boyle. And while I like what Boyle brings and understand he brings a certain type of game Johansson doesn't, he also shouldn't really ever be in a teams top 6. Johansson absolutely has the ability to be in a top 6 role. 10 points in his last 11 games and 20 in his last 28 games now that he's healthy. And his injury history has only been in his season and a half here. Not at all in his years with the Capitals.

Like I said, I'm not really expecting a 1st for sure, but I also wouldn't rule it out as possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad