LeBrun: Interest Picking Up on Marcus Johansson

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Mojo aint they guy I would pay a first for or a really good prospect, I rather keep the assets, he is not they guy that would be the missing piece, if he even could play a full playoff with his health issue.

Springfield Isotopes

Dec 9, 2018
I would sign him to a 3 year deal but want to avoid paying him well into the thirties due to his recent concussion history. Really like the player, but won't like the next contract. Plus, I think Jeppe Boqvist is ready for that 2LW role next year.
I Think Boqvist could benifit with a guy like Johansson showing him the ropes.. And if The Devils get a top 3 pick plus Boqvist coming over future will be bright for the young Devils.

Hall,Hichier,Palms,Boqvist,Bratt,Marjo, Top 3 pick, Zacha Wood Coleman Macleod and Seney

Shero have to upgrade the D..

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't think he's a real line driver, but he's got a really good complementary skillset to quietly plug in and not hold better linemates back at all. While obviously bringing tons of speed to the lineup. Seems like oftentimes, that type of player is the sort to work out better as a deadline deal anyway.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Curious to see what teams he would be a fit on and what the Devils could get in a trade.

I would imagine a 2nd + prospect would be the hopeful return.

EDIT: Whoops, wrong tag. Lebrun not Dreger.

He is a good player, perfect fit for the Habs. But I hope they sign him this summer. Not giving up a 2nd and good prospect for him

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
easily? im calling bs. he went for less when he was putting up better #s, younger and had term on his deal

He also got traded because Washington was cap-strapped and needed to move a body. That handcuffs them from getting maximum value.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
MoJo is a smart, two-way, top 6 LW. He can easily fetch a 1st + in the deadline market

No way do I see a team trading more than a first rd pick. The Devils acquired him for much less when he was coming off a career year and a lot healthier.
In a flooded market and as an UFA I don't see him as a difference maker worthy of the ask.
Would love to have him but it would be less than a first or just wait until the Summer and sign him for free.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The Devils have a lot of leverage here, because they don't need to trade him and actually probably want to re-sign him.

If there's an offer that knocks their socks off, then sure, go for it. But Shero can afford to play hardball when negotiating. If a team gets desperate, who knows what they're willing to pay? There's a lot of dumb GMs in the league.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
his best quality was tapping the puck back and forth with backstrom on the powerplay
That wasn't even his best quality on the Capitals powerplay unit. He was the primary player at gaining the zone and setting up the formation on the Caps PP. And spoiler alert, a huge chunk of what made the Caps PP so effective was the speed in which it could get into formation. He was also effective as a netfront presence at both even strength and on the powerplay.

Reactions: Oneiro

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
You have to believe Shero is assessing his play now that he is healthy. Will we easily replace him on July 1st? No. Will Boqvist replace him next year? I'm not confident his overall game is there yet. Unless we get a 1st that can be flipped with a prospect for a replacement, I see him bring extended.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
2nd + good but not great prospect (#5ish on a teams depth chart)

Dallas needs scoring. seems like a fit

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
2nd + good but not great prospect (#5ish on a teams depth chart)

Dallas needs scoring. seems like a fit
I'm not sure Shero will bite on that. NJ isnt that far away from contending again given the incoming talents on defense. Smith Butcher, Vatenen, Severson and Davies are all puck movers who will push the play.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
A good fit would be for the St.Louis Blues to add some secondary scoring. Klim Kostin and a second for Johansson.. ReasonableÉ

Except that we already have a fairly similar player in Perron and an upgraded version in Schwartz.
IF the Blues dip into the rental pool, the need is for somebody who is more of a finisher than a playmaker.

Not saying MJ isn't a good player; but he is not a fit for what we need and that is a pretty hefty price to pay for somebody who isn't a particularly good fit.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
No way do I see a team trading more than a first rd pick. The Devils acquired him for much less when he was coming off a career year and a lot healthier.
In a flooded market and as an UFA I don't see him as a difference maker worthy of the ask.
Would love to have him but it would be less than a first or just wait until the Summer and sign him for free.

The Devils acquired him within an hour of the Caps extending Kuznetsov, which put them over the cap. I think it's fair to say Shero got a pretty good discount, and given the circumstances, I wouldn't use that as some sort of barometer for Johansson's value.

I think you're right about the saturated market, though. In a "normal" deadline year, Johansson almost certainly gets a 1st. For that to happen this year, you'd need a lot of higher-profile rentals to stay put, and I just don't see that happening.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I'm not sure Shero will bite on that. NJ isnt that far away from contending again given the incoming talents on defense. Smith Butcher, Vatenen, Severson and Davies are all puck movers who will push the play.

NJ needs a #1D, #1G, and a #1C to actually contend. They need to keep building for at least a couple years after this one. Hall+Hichier isn't enough to carry a bunch of supporting pieces.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
NJ needs a #1D, #1G, and a #1C to actually contend. They need to keep building for at least a couple years after this one. Hall+Hichier isn't enough to carry a bunch of supporting pieces.
Nico Hischier is a #1 center easy already, between Blackwood and Schneider moving fwd they are fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad