Proposal: Interest in Buff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Attracting free agents was never a way realistic Jets fans thought we would improve. When you look at it, there are very few high profile free agents left, it seems, year after year.

We have to draft well and we have done that. Whatever people say about Chevy you have to give him big points for that. We had the worst prospect pool in the league when the team moved here. Most fans are happy with the path we are on, I think we just need fine tuning.

Also, don't knock that winter. It protects Canada economically.

I live in BC and have seen first hand how runaway foreign investment drives housing prices through the roof and shrinks the middle class. That winter protects canadians from predatory foreign investors. Won't say anymore on this, getting way off topic.

How about Buff for Scherback and a 2015 2nd? Keep Tinordi..

Btw, I really hope the Jets make the playoffs...good team, good fans. I like to cheer for your Jets and also the Oilers (and Vancouver sometimes) after the Habs. Vancouver...still pissed at Vancouver for losing the CUP to Boston...not sure if karma exists if Boston could win a CUP with Chara, Lucic, Marchand, Thornton,etc).

Back to topic at hand...I'm a huge huge Byfuglien fan...ever since he contained and dominated Chris Pronger to win the Cup (with Chicago). Imo, every season that Buff is not in playoffs is a waste since he's a playoff beast...imo.

If I'm the Jets' GM I'd want Scherbak or J.Tinordi or McCarron (or Beaulieu??!!), and a 2nd or 3rd. I'd only do this (above) if Buff signed for an extra 4-5 seasons at a reasonable price (probably won't happen! I think Buff will test the market to try and ca$h in like most NHLers).

If I were the Habs' GM, I'd love to give Beaulieu + _?_ + a 2nd FOR Big Buff, but not sure that's fair for Jets' fans, but for 1 year and a half of Buff VS 7-10yrs+ of Beaulieu+2nd Rndpick...it might be.

Ladd or Wheeler should be in Winnipeg for a long long time.
(hefty price to acquire one of them).

Imo:
Jets>>>>>Oilers
(Oilers are a huge mess on D, imo, the Jets are way way better with D vs Oilers, same things goes for their top 9...imo, if I were the Oilers' GM I'd improve the D core first).

Last edited:

MyNameIsNobody*

Buff only shows up when he wants to. Just say no to Buff and his lazy attitude.

I agree with you...People here dont get it.......Dustin is almost 30 years old, weighs 265 pounds...he is on the tail end of his career, he is no MSL....Dustin's knees will give out due to all that weight he is carrying and the end of his career will be fast...not like MSL, he will be another Vanek and worse

I would NEVER trade Beau for Buff....NEVER....you would be trading away our future for another version of Vanek...NO THANKS!!!!

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Your going to go deep, very deep in the playoffs so I understand reluctance to part with roster players.

However, that means higher end prospects will be required to get a deal done.

Tinordi and a healthy Scherback?

No dice. Scherbak isn't available. One of Tinordi/Beaulieu + 1st is the max for us.

MyNameIsNobody*

No, he wouldn't.

you are correct, LOL...!!! some posters really dont know what they are saying...i would have Lucic in my lineup any day....

As for Buff...unless you can give up someone like Patryn + someone else (not a first,second rounder) or similar no problem ...Not Beaulieu as i think he will be top 4....im starting to loose faith in Tinordi...i think therrien and his cronies are destroying both Tinordi and Beaulieu....Who is developing the Defense in Montreal??they need to be changed...

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Just a quick clarification, Buff has lost weight in the last year/18 months. 265 is too high of an estimate. Probably 250.

He has bought into the increased team fitness idea of Maurice, I don't think that is a big issue.

The memory of him running over Pronger is a great one.

It looks like the max offer is beaulieu and a first. This is fair. I tried to pry Scherback out of you (don't hate the player, hate the game) but you wisely said no.

Maybe later today for poops and giggles I'll go to the Bruins board and see what they would offer. The Habs prospect pool is more impressive tho.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I don't think the majority of Habs fans here would agree to that. But that's just my impression.

I know, but I'm trying to look at it from Winnipeg's perspective. How exactly does it help them to give up a very rare commodity (literally him and Burns that can do it at a high level) for less than good value? Just because we have a ton of Habs fans that will swarm anyone who suggests the Habs give up fair value, doesn't mean it's not fair. After all, we all value our own players higher than others would, and we vastly outnumber Jets fans, so you can't just trust popular opinion.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I know, but I'm trying to look at it from Winnipeg's perspective. How exactly does it h After all, we all value our own players higher than others would, and we vastly outnumber Jets fans, so you can't just trust popular opinion.

Not that I'd trust it, only that the Jet fan who started the thread seemed convinced that our fans would buy into trading Beaulieu and a first for Bluff.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Not that I'd trust it, only that the Jet fan who started the thread seemed convinced that our fans would buy into trading Beaulieu and a first for Bluff.

I'd seriously consider that deal, and I'm a homeristic Habs fan. :dunno:

Looking at Beaulieu's potential, it's tough, but Byfuglien is just plainly a much better player. If the 1st were a 2016 1st, I'd likely pull the trigger on Beaulieu + 1st.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
No, he wouldn't.

Yeah he might sumo wrestle Chara to the ice but I doubt he does much to someone with good balance.

A dman who was drafted in 2010 and still can't make the NHL to go with a winger who everyone was so quick to label a bust ?

This is immediate, NHL caliber help. No one said giving up Scherbak. It's a 1st and Beaulieu. Could cost less, but I wouldn't imagine much more.

If this were reverse all of you saying you wouldn't give up much for him would be demanding that exact payment, if not more.

heh who cares what 'everyone' thought of McCarron last season, and who cares about people worried over Tinordi?

I'll say it again. I would have liked him when Buff was younger and the Habs were more desperate for size.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Looking at Beaulieu's potential, it's tough, but Byfuglien is just plainly a much better player. If the 1st were a 2016 1st, I'd likely pull the trigger on Beaulieu + 1st.

I don't see it as the cut and dry. Buff is overrated and not that amazing.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Habs fans are like oilers fans I find, we don't want to give up anything of value despite getting one of the highest point getting defenseman. So listen fellow habs fans, let me be the trust, your guiding light or whatever you want to call me, and save you from the dozens and dozens of past and future oileresque trade proposals that have or will emerge in this thread.

1) Desharnais has terrible value, more so when you guys include him in every single proposal. It's Halak + Ryder + 2nd all over again
2) Jets won't take someone like Allen or gonchar with negative value if we don't offer them a good package that they'll accept. Cap dumps like those two don't add to the value, they decrease the value so be weary of including those guys.
3) It's okay to offer fair value by giving up pieces you don't want to see go, then concluding with 'but the habs won't do this, it's not more than we would like to give up'

For the trade proposal, forget DD, no one wants him, we're stuck with him. Jets will want a 1st (kind of a given) + a young player to be a part of their core (think tinordi or beaulieu) and a roster player (I know it's tempting but resist the urge to insert DD here) like maybe Gallagher or Eller.

For the record, I would not do 1st + tinordi/beaulieu + Eller/Gallagher, it's good value but big buff is not worth the habs giving up important pieces like these.

I know he got 50pts last year, as a defenseman, but we don't need a guy like him if he's playing defense. If he can put up 50+ as a forward and stand in front of the net I'd be more tempted but still say no.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

I'm the same way, and I LOVE Nate, but I'd also consider that deal.

Buff was a HUGE piece for Chicago when they won their cup in 2010. He was all over Luongo, and he was truly a difference maker. Him on the right wing in the top 6 would be awesome.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'm the same way, and I LOVE Nate, but I'd also consider that deal.

Buff was a HUGE piece for Chicago when they won their cup in 2010. He was all over Luongo, and he was truly a difference maker. Him on the right wing in the top 6 would be awesome.

Exactly, I understand that we don't like giving up valuable pieces, but as the saying goes "you have to give, to get." That undeniably makes us a much better team now, and in the future, who knows.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal

Beaulieu + 1st I'd do it. I mean we gave up Collberg + 2nd for Vanek and I think Buff would be good. He's the type of player that can be an unmitigated disaster or a blessing based on how he's utilized though, and call me crazy I still don't trust Therrien :laugh:

But Beaulieu and our 1st are available pieces, though with Bergevin's track record your 2nd round pick would magically be returning for that deal :naughty:

This is how I see it.

Not that I disagree but he adds some versatility and net presence to our squad, and if used correctly I think he could put this team over the top, he could also be a disaster though. One things for sure, at deadline somebody and a pick are likely moved for a player. I wouldn't be against paying more for Wheeler or targeting Ladd instead, or even a player on another team. Big Buff is an interesting guy, he's won a cup and he brings something to the team we could use, I'd likely do the trade but with a lot of doubt in mind LOL.

One thing we can all agree on we need to move futures for something we can use immediately if we want to go further in the playoffs. Our time is now.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
I don't think our time is now. Our time really starts next year, if Chucky starts to be first line dominant, hopefully at center.

I think we have more pf a chance of doing a fire sale on our elder vets at the deadline, as we do shipping of blue chip prospects for short term gains.

CanadiensforLife

Sep 11, 2010
Montreal
BTW, just so you don't think I am a dick, I totally support all Canadian teams not called the Leafs or Senators. Every time the Oilers, Canucks, or (I'm embarrassed) the flames have been in the playoffs, I have rooted for them when they don't play the Habs. I was also extremely pissed when the Jets were forced to relocate, because the fans in the Peg are awesome! And, I love the Avro, too ... and was sad that the project was sunk. Although, I spent time in the Peg, and would never want to live there .... but that goes for most Canadian cities, that are too bloody cold ... but Winnipeg brings that all to a new level.

I hope that the Oilers and Jets turn their teams around, and that soon, we have a Stanley Cup playoffs filled with Canadian teams not called the leafs ;)

Seriously, just stop.:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad