Proposal: Interest in Buff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic Stick

Keep your head up son
If your going to be that inflexible, I'll just move along then and ask some other east teams what they want for Buff.

Nygren, a 2nd and a cap dump...that's awful.

There's no real interest in Buff. You need to take in consideration the fact that we have as we speak almost 10 NHLer dmen. The time is going to come where we'll HAVE to make some place for Tinordi and Beaulieu. They are the future of our blueline and developping those two should be a priority.

Now if we're talking about Wheeler or Ladd, that's another story.

P.S I like Big Buff but I just don't think he should be our main target.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
Byfuglien would be acquired to be a RW.

6'5, 270lbs+ RW who would be one of, if not they fastest player on the team. When he hits someone, they're hurt. We don't really know what that is, as our players rarely hit and they seem to never be able to steamroll someone.

You can go through any team and see parts of players that aren't very good and then decide that a certain player isn't worth much.

I don't care where Buff'd play. The bottom line is he's not that good. He's not a very good D nor is he a forward. The only reason he put up big numbers is because of his shot from the point on the PP. The only thing he has that would be useful on our team is his overweight body but that's certainly not enough to give away Tinner and Scherback.

Hell, I wouldn't even trade Tinner and Scherback for E.Kane.....

Best offer I'd make for Buff is Parenteau, Gilbert and Andrighetto. Even then, I'd be reluctant to trade Ghetto

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I don't care where Buff'd play. The bottom line is he's not that good. He's not a very good D nor is he a forward. The only reason he put up big numbers is because of his shot from the point on the PP. The only thing he has that would be useful on our team is his overweight body but that's certainly not enough to give away Tinner and Scherback.

Hell, I wouldn't even trade Tinner and Scherback for E.Kane.....

Best offer I'd make for Buff is Parenteau, Gilbert and Andrighetto. Even then, I'd be reluctant to trade Ghetto

I'd take a player that can score 14g in 39 games anytimes.

He'd be our 2nd points AND goals if he played for us last year.

In his last 3 seasons, he played at a .70pt per game, that's 58pts per 82 games. I don't remember if he got those points as a forward or as a defenseman, but that's better than 90% of our players in term of production.

I know he's not perfect and has flaws in his game but he still bring what the Habs needs, no matter if he plays as a forward or defense. Bringing him would make the Habs closer to the cup than further IMO.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
I'd take a player that can score 14g in 39 games anytimes.

He'd be our 2nd points AND goals if he played for us last year

In his last 3 seasons, he played at a .70pt per game, that's 58pts per 82 games. I don't remember if he got those points as a forward or as a defenseman, but that's better than 90% of our players in term of production.

I know he's not perfect and has flaws in his game but he still bring what the Habs needs, no matter if he plays as a forward or defense.
Bringing him would make the Habs closer to the cup than further IMO.

No he wouldn't. He had 26pts on the PP out of 56 in total. In 2010, he had 24 pts out of 56. in 2011, he had 19 pts out of 53. in 2012, he had 10 pts out of 28. All of those points come as a point man blasting bombs. We already have Subban in that role and we have Markov as the passer. No place for him in MTL on the point on the first PP wave. He wouldn't even come close to putting up the numbers he did in Winnipeg/Atlanta.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Well, it looks like there is some interest in Buff, but not a ton.

Beaulieu and a first is interesting. Would consider that..

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
BTW, this is off topic, but do you think Tangradi will ever amount to much for us? I'm hoping he regains his draft year form by working out hard with PK, and regaining the Tim Hortons fire in his eyes!

Tangradi?..your organization is too deep, he will be in Hamilton forever..produces zero offense.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Hello Habs fans...Jets fan coming in peace..

Congrats on your start to the year. You are a legit cup contender and the favourite in the East. Time to talk about that final piece that puts you over the top. If you have Buff, no one will mess with you in a playoff series. Issues with Zdeno Chara? Well, Buff can neutralize that for you.

He can play wing, defence, in front of the net on the power play. He is popular in our room, should be good in yours as well.

I think the Habs, Kings, Bruins and Ducks are all in a unique situtation in which getting him will be decisive in defeating their respective rivals.

Any interest?

Buff has a lot of talent and yeah he's a huge presence the habs could use, but I'm not sure about his attitude and this team is all about having players that work hard all the time... Not sure MB would go after a guy that has shown he doesn't really care that much. I might be wrong, but hey, they did get Vanek last year and if the price is comparable for Buff, I'd be ok with it. I just don't think the habs will give up Beaulieu, Tinordi, McCarron or Scherback for him, maybe Lehkonen?

Now if you wanna talk Ladd or Kane, that's a different topic ;)

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
are you kiding he's 6" and 170 pounds soaking wet. buff is an established force when playoffs time come. buff is around 6"5 265 now thats big.

Actually he stated at the Entry Draft when chose by Montreal, his weight is 195 lbs. and is now 6'2" Scherbak, I mean.:nod:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I would do that trade. I prefer Bergevin tries something than missing our Stanley Cup window by doing nothing like San Jose, Washington and Vancouver did.

Markov will not be here for much longer and Tampa Bay might became too good for the Habs in the next 2-3 years if theirs Young players reach theirs potential.

Buff add depth at the forward and defense position at the same time, he brings size and grit and the experience of a Stanley cup champion. With him the Habs would be a strong Stanley cup contender.
All the more reason not to trade Beaulieu.

I'm all for dealing for a guy who puts us over the top but Buff isn't a superstar player. Beaulieu and a 1st is way too much as far as I'm concerned.
I like Beaulieu better than Tinordi, so that'd probably be my offer. But still - I'd do that trade. I think that makes us an extremely deep team. Injuries would cause zero problems because our depth and when healthy, you have 3 lines that can score frequently and one line that likely has two of the better offensive 4th liners
It makes us deep and I'd love to have Buff. But it's an overpayment and I'd look elsewhere if that's what it took to get him.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I would have loved Big Buff when he was available in Chicago.

With McCarron and Tinner I don't think the Habs should be so desperate to overpay for him though.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
No he wouldn't. He had 26pts on the PP out of 56 in total. In 2010, he had 24 pts out of 56. in 2011, he had 19 pts out of 53. in 2012, he had 10 pts out of 28. All of those points come as a point man blasting bombs. We already have Subban in that role and we have Markov as the passer. No place for him in MTL on the point on the first PP wave. He wouldn't even come close to putting up the numbers he did in Winnipeg/Atlanta.

Oh sorry. I didn't know PP goals and points doesn't count in a game.

And btw, Subban-Markov doesn't work anymore. Our PP sucks. PK was bumped out of the first PP wave with Gonchar so MB is looking to find a way to make our PP work and big Buff can do that. Either as a point player or the big body that we don't have to park in front of the goalie.

Analyzer*

I would have loved Big Buff when he was available in Chicago.

With McCarron and Tinner I don't think the Habs should be so desperate to overpay for him though.

A dman who was drafted in 2010 and still can't make the NHL to go with a winger who everyone was so quick to label a bust ?

This is immediate, NHL caliber help. No one said giving up Scherbak. It's a 1st and Beaulieu. Could cost less, but I wouldn't imagine much more.

If this were reverse all of you saying you wouldn't give up much for him would be demanding that exact payment, if not more.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Well, it looks like there is some interest in Buff, but not a ton.

Beaulieu and a first is interesting. Would consider that..

Last season Bergevin gave Collberg (chosen in 2nd Rnd) + a 2nd Rnd Pick.

I'd give Beaulieu (chosen in 1st Rnd) + 3rd OR 4th
FOR
Byfuglien.

No?

I'd love for our Habs to sign Byfuglien to a 3-4 yr contract (when he's UFA), or get him via trade now and sign him to an extension before he hits UFA...but I think he'll want to hit the UFA market?

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Byfuglien
OR
Pacioretty-DD-Byfuglien
OR
Sekac-Eller-Byfuglien
(many options!)
OR
Markov-Byfuglien?
No?!

Or... hope the Bergevin/Timmins/Dudley find another Dale Weise (cheap but good option).

Fire Everyone

Especially you
May 17, 2006
Talk about being blinded by size.

Byfuglien would make us long for the good old days when we had Vanek.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
IMHO, I honestly think that Montreal will look to add a first line center. Could be as a rental or a center who's gonna be here for two or three years.

That player is rarely available.

And typically very, very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad