Post-Game Talk: Inter-team scrimmage #2: Team Blue 2, Team White 1 (S/O)

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
some observations:

Brock is skating much better, should allow him more time to get his shot off this season. I expect a big year from him.

Juolevi is making this team. Plays a very poise game, doesn't seem to rush anything. Only question mark to me is how he handles the rough stuff around the net. This season is going to be rough.

Rathbone shows so much potential. Has trouble adjusting with how NHLers cycle. Needs some seasoning but potential is high. Green likely sends him down to A. Still the skating, his passing, hard shot and confidence to go create offense is all there.

Woo, was a bit of a surprise for me, looked good. Same as Lockwood, both guys imo has a future in the NHL. Lockwood is the new honey badger.

I'm a Demko fan, but Holtby looked a bit better so far in camp. I have full confidence our goaltending is not going to be a problem.

Looked like a slewfoot by Motte. Gaudette also skating much better. Looking for Gaudette to solidfy himself as a core player on this team.

We NEED Holtby to be better than Demko.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
That's actually not the way any of that happened.
They hadn't signed Petro yet and Bennng made it clear that they were in on Nate before Tanev. Not a big deal but many Benning haters like to say Benning lucked into Nate after losing Tanev when in truth he knew about Nate a full day before Tanev left.

Benning lucked into Nate after not paying the asking price on OEL. That looks like a great “loss” already. That said, we don’t know the whole story though so there’s a good chance that Benning was aware of the possibility that Schmidt could be moved if Vegas were to sign AP way back when he was discussing trade with Arizona. He may have always had the potential Schmidt deal in his back pocket and Tanev may have been the 3rd option all along.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Looking at this a few times and it does look like Motte knew what he was doing in trying to get to Gaudette in a more extracurricular way. Even knocks the stick away before Gaudette gets up. Even after the fight you can see Gaudette visibly pissed off and push Motte away. Motte was either trying to be a pest or something personal being aired out.
Think Motte wanted Gaudette. Petty went after Gaudette in practice. Adam is very competitive he will get a response time to time. He seems like he can fight.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
Lol Motte. In his defense, Gaudette seems like the kind of guy it would be fun to punch in the mouth.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I didn’t watch any of the game but it’s encouraging to hear that Virtanen looked hungry and that Juolevi didn’t look out of place. Neither guy will ever live up to their draft status but if both guys can become solid contributors it would be a huge bonus for this franchise.
I’d also say that the hype for Hoglander has also leveled closer to reality— reading and listening to the media hype for Hoglander, and knowing what we’ve all seen at the WJC and the SHL, it seemed a bit over the top, but it least confirmed to me that he’s not some shoe-in player, but more along the lines of exceeding expectations. From what I saw, he looked like a potential second line contributor but nothing extraordinary beyond that which is a great find for beyond a first round player.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I love Tyler Motte and I think he's one of the best 4th liners in the entire league for what he brings to the table.

That said, he played like a f***ing moron last night. I get that he's probably still thinking he needs to battle for a spot but you don't go that hard on your own teammates. Really glad to see Gaudette send a message.

Hopefully Green sat him down after the game.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
who else? beagle out.? or healthy scratch don't really need sutter and him together.

If I'm being realistic, Lockwood should be in Utica at this stage even though I believe he is a better option than either Eriksson and Roussel. Immovable contracts will keep Eriksson and Roussel at least on the taxi squad. Especially this year with a huge chunk going to escrow.

I see it playing out like this depending on the day:

Mille-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander
Roussel/Sutter-Gaudette-Virtanen
Motte-Sutter/Beagle-MacEwen/Sutter
Sutter/Roussel/Beagle/MacEwen
(of this group I would prefer Sutter and MacEwen in the line-up over Beagle or Roussel)

Edler-Schmidt
Hughes-Hamonic
Juolevi-Myers
Benn-Rafferty

Holtby
Demko

IR-Ferland

Taxi
Eriksson (would rather have Michaelis here but escrow will keep Eriksson on the taxi squad)
Hawryluk (IR?)
Baertschi
Brisebois
Sautner
Chatfield
Keilly (because the chances of both goalies getting injure are slim and Dipietro is better served with playing time)

Utica
Michaelis
Graovac
Gadjovic
Lind
Bailet
Rathbone (taxi squad candidate but he needs to play)
Woo
Eliot
Teves
Dipietro (taxi squad candidate but he needs to play)

If Hoglander plays 10 games I will offer a mea culpa for my comments near the beginning of camp. I thought the chance of him sticking beyond a few games was less than 5%.

Last edited:
Reactions: David71

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Think Motte wanted Gaudette. Petty went after Gaudette in practice. Adam is very competitive he will get a response time to time. He seems like he can fight.
At this point ,I think Gaudette should spend a little more time worrying about his game , when he doesnt have the puck...

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Gaudette IMO is trending as a 30-40 point bottom six winger. Still a huge win given where he was drafted. His energy is massive for the room.

He's never going to be a top sixer (but stranger things have happened).

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Gaudette is those tweeners that put up points on a bad team. Not skilled enough for the top 6 and not gritty and defensively minded enough for the bottom 6

Reactions: Peen

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I didn’t watch any of the game but it’s encouraging to hear that Virtanen looked hungry and that Juolevi didn’t look out of place. Neither guy will ever live up to their draft status but if both guys can become solid contributors it would be a huge bonus for this franchise.

late bloomer for juolevi? even with all the injuries he had to endure since his draft year. this year will be his "first full season"

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Literally one injury to this defence and we are in trouble. Otherwise is what it is.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Literally one injury to this defence and we are in trouble. Otherwise is what it is.
Wo..massive prediction there big guy...?....Isn't that the same for every team in the division..?

200w-1.gif

Last edited:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

If/when Hamonic signs I feel considerably better about the defense then before he was given a PTO. We still don't know what we're going to get from him, but it's a lot more comforting then say, Benn playing top 4 minutes and Juolevi/Rathbone/etc being thrown into the fire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad