Post-Game Talk: Inter-team scrimmage #2: Team Blue 2, Team White 1 (S/O)

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Hoglander
Lockwood
in

Eriksson
Roussel
out

I’ve looked on capfriendly and there’s no information on whether a player’s salary still counts against the cap if you roll them up in Krispy Kreme wrappers and old gum and fire them into the sun with a giant catapult

Reactions: JumpierPegasus

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Hard to say much definitely . Play was so fragmented and lack of sound had you constantly trying to check numbers and who was who.

would say

-Encouraged by play of Virtanen - could be top 6 this year if he finally matures his game - like best how he was chasing people down on the forecheck - lots of natural ability.

-Hoglander displayed enough - especially in terms of keeping possession to think a good camp continues. Does lack a bit in out right speed but looks strong in traffic where he makes the quick read and the quick play.

-Bailey speed is top end - you wonder about the rest of his game.

-Hughes was the best player.

-Schmidt was good - and should be in this company. Some very good stretch passes - hope he plays with the lotto line

-Pettersson really only showed up on his excellent shoot out goal. Lotto line had lot of offensive possession but didn't lead to much

- thought Rafferty was the best of the Utica d-men. Excellent skater and lets the puck do the work. Brisebois still weak in his end and Chatfield is too scrabbly. Gets chasing the play and not quick enough in his puck movement

- Joulevi was ok but doesn't look like he will move provide much that the club doesn't already have. You have to wonder if there is any upper tier to his game. Getting by but not standing out IMO

- thought Sutter was fine. Always starts out this way then gets dinged and play falls off a cliff

- Baertschi was given lots of game time and made a good effort. Trouble is he never ends up accomplishing anything. Can't see where fits into the line up. Had a chance for breakaways but just a step slow. Sort of the story of his time with the team

- MacEwen - the Chatfield of the forwards. Tries to use energy and hustle to make up for lack of skill. Some effective forchecking but mostly just a disruptor.

- don't see Rathbone as ready. Good going forward but some real issues around his net. Got forced into some mistakes in this end.

- Woo didn't look out of place. Needs to gain a step or two to move up to this level on any long term basis.

- I really not seeing Gaudette as an effective third line center.

Benn played well enough and moved the puck quickly at times creating some potential breaks. Might be he starts in the thirds pairing.

These are just impressions and its too bad we don't have some exhibition games to get beyond making some comments without more of a basis.

-

Feb 20, 2013
Rathbone has some of the skating of Hughes, but you can tell he doesn't have the hands or quite the creativity.

Yeah, that is a good point. I wasn't trying to say that he is or will be as good as Hughes, just that he is similar stylistically.

He does show flashes of higher end potential though. There have been a couple times this camp that he has tried a classic Hughes-esque spin move at the line to beat the winger checking him.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
One big takeaway from this camp for me (pleasant surprise, really) has been Lockwood. I think he’s got a future as a third or fourth line player at least. Good wheels and smarts. Some time in the AHL should be helpful for him, too.

Yeah I feel like he's been an underrated prospect for a while. Hes definitely got good potential to be an energy player who can chip in a few goals

Reactions: Starships

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
It's really looking like Green is going to give Hoglander every opportunity to succeed playing with Horvat. Was very interesting to see him out there in ot with Horvat as the other forward.

I don't want to get too hyped yet as he definitely came into camp with a HUGE advantage having played 23 games this year. I could players catching up to him mid season however he definitely has the tools to play in a top 6 role in this league.

This is absolutely massive for us - a lot of us were optimistic but to see him actually come in and do this has to be considered a surprise.

I don't think everyone realizes..........I really think we are going to enter some golden years. Our window is open starting now..........our future is VERY BRIGHT. Schmidt, the emergence of Hogs as a top 6 option, Rathbone as someone who, after some seasoning, teases as a top 4 talent, Juolevi finally looking like he's ready and while Podz looks like he might not be a star but will definitely be the kind of player regardless of where he plays in the lineup that you can't help but value. we have some serious reasons for optimism.

Golden Year Boys...........they are coming.

:partytime:

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Didn't think Hoglander wasn't that impressive today. Didn't do anything to hurt the team but was pretty invisible outside of the 3on3.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Didn't think Hoglander wasn't that impressive today. Didn't do anything to hurt the team but was pretty invisible outside of the 3on3.
He started out strong as well. Had some nice o zone dekes. I heard that the 9 game ELC slide has been lowered to 5 for this year

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I think I noticed Eriksson once all game, I don't see how he will be on the opening night roster

Such a lame duck. He’s asked for a “fresh start elsewhere”. Management tried to move him with no takers. He doesn’t wanna be here and we don’t want him here. Can’t be fun for anyone. If he doesn’t get sent down it’s a contract decision abs that a bad look on a team.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It was the two 'R's for me on the blueline--Rafferty and Rathbone. Both guys have unreal wheels. At times Rathbone looks like a bigger version of Quinn Hughes out there; and Rafferty is as effortless skater, who is obviously concentrating on playing in his own zone. He has great vision and the outlet passes are right on the money.

I suspect Rafferty ends up on the taxi squad and Rathbone in Utica....but they won't be there long. I'd be perfectly comfortable eventually playing Rafferty over Hamonic on the right side; and Rathbone over Benn as a left-shot d-man at some point this season....and I don't think the Canucks would lose a thing. In fact they might actually gain more offense and puck control from the back end, as Benn and Hamonic really bring nothing to the table in that area.

nightranger

Jan 3, 2021
Simple, Vegas had cap problems and were desperate to lose a contract after Pietranglo signed without having to retain salary and giving up a pick to do it. Canucks were a willing partner after losing out on Ekman-Larsson and Tanev.
That's actually not the way any of that happened.
They hadn't signed Petro yet and Bennng made it clear that they were in on Nate before Tanev. Not a big deal but many Benning haters like to say Benning lucked into Nate after losing Tanev when in truth he knew about Nate a full day before Tanev left.

nightranger

Jan 3, 2021
Quick Notes on some things I noticed:

- Hoglander looks like he belongs, did not look out of place. Nothing amazing but still solid. Has great chemistry with Horvat already

- Juolevi was very solid, smart puck management and solid defensively. Looks like he belongs.

- Rathbone, you can see the talent to be NHL calibre with his skating and smarts but still rough around the edges in the defensive zone, being a little too careless with the puck. Close but needs some more development imo

- Bailey played like you'd expect MacEwen, big and fast. Deserves a taxi squad spot if he was like this all camp.

- Schmidt is damn impressive, eastern media is sleeping on how much of an upgrade he is to this defence.

- Chatfield had a solid game and looked like he belonged, but not sure if that's just playing with Hughes rubbing off on him.

- Motte... what the hell is he doing? I like the intensity but he injures a guy then slew foots Gaudette? Deserved to get fought there. Just stupid with the season starting in 5 days.

- Lockwood looks closer to the NHL than I thought, he was good but needs development in Utica first. But he looked pretty good tonight

Edit:

- Also, Boeser's skating has looked improved mechanically. But hard to tell with the scrimmage speed if it will pay dividends.
Rathbone has some of the skating of Hughes, but you can tell he doesn't have the hands or quite the creativity.
You are the master of backhanded compliments. Every post you do that.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Difficult to read much from this type of game. When players have to win battles and play a role against actual good NHLers on every shift things change significantly.

Jet Woo really caught my eye with his stature skating passing and positioning. Looks like he has shut down role potential
Hoglander has some impressive moments
Virtanen looks ready to roll
Juolevi and Myers is a impressive puck moving pair. Will have some issues in their own zone but if that's our 3rd pair that is a huge step forward

Anyway 1 game so lets see how it goes.

nightranger

Jan 3, 2021
Hard to say much definitely . Play was so fragmented and lack of sound had you constantly trying to check numbers and who was who.

would say

-Encouraged by play of Virtanen - could be top 6 this year if he finally matures his game - like best how he was chasing people down on the forecheck - lots of natural ability.

-Hoglander displayed enough - especially in terms of keeping possession to think a good camp continues. Does lack a bit in out right speed but looks strong in traffic where he makes the quick read and the quick play.

-Bailey speed is top end - you wonder about the rest of his game.

-Hughes was the best player.

-Schmidt was good - and should be in this company. Some very good stretch passes - hope he plays with the lotto line

-Pettersson really only showed up on his excellent shoot out goal. Lotto line had lot of offensive possession but didn't lead to much

- thought Rafferty was the best of the Utica d-men. Excellent skater and lets the puck do the work. Brisebois still weak in his end and Chatfield is too scrabbly. Gets chasing the play and not quick enough in his puck movement

- Joulevi was ok but doesn't look like he will move provide much that the club doesn't already have. You have to wonder if there is any upper tier to his game. Getting by but not standing out IMO

- thought Sutter was fine. Always starts out this way then gets dinged and play falls off a cliff

- Baertschi was given lots of game time and made a good effort. Trouble is he never ends up accomplishing anything. Can't see where fits into the line up. Had a chance for breakaways but just a step slow. Sort of the story of his time with the team

- MacEwen - the Chatfield of the forwards. Tries to use energy and hustle to make up for lack of skill. Some effective forchecking but mostly just a disruptor.

- don't see Rathbone as ready. Good going forward but some real issues around his net. Got forced into some mistakes in this end.

- Woo didn't look out of place. Needs to gain a step or two to move up to this level on any long term basis.

- I really not seeing Gaudette as an effective third line center.

Benn played well enough and moved the puck quickly at times creating some potential breaks. Might be he starts in the thirds pairing.

These are just impressions and its too bad we don't have some exhibition games to get beyond making some comments without more of a basis.

-
Much prefer Sutter as the 3c looked great with Jake last night.
AG is a pp Tweener who isn't good enough defensively as a 3c but may end up being a low end 2c one day if he hits his ceiling but that looks doubtful and isn't a need going forward with this club.

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009
I just stumbled on the highlights on youtube and I have a question. What's with the penalty shos with chasing defenders?

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
I just stumbled on the highlights on youtube and I have a question. What's with the penalty shos with chasing defenders?

Trying to imitate game situation of a breakaway instead of a true penalty shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad