Post-Game Talk: Inter-team scrimmage #2: Team Blue 2, Team White 1 (S/O)

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Disappointing.there weren't any power plays even though there looked to be a tonne of infractjons during the game.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Still you keep Nate and find a way to move somebody else.
Giving up a top pairing D-man for nothing is lunacy, cap or not

Yeah agree........it's like they just panicked at the end to get under and not risk losing the guy they wanted but really now? You think they could've done a much better job then literally giving him away.

Such a sick trade for us.

Gotta rank up there as amongst our best ever.........Probably put it at #3 after Naslund and getting the Sedins

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
some observations:

Brock is skating much better, should allow him more time to get his shot off this season. I expect a big year from him.

Juolevi is making this team. Plays a very poise game, doesn't seem to rush anything. Only question mark to me is how he handles the rough stuff around the net. This season is going to be rough.

Rathbone shows so much potential. Has trouble adjusting with how NHLers cycle. Needs some seasoning but potential is high. Green likely sends him down to A. Still the skating, his passing, hard shot and confidence to go create offense is all there.

Woo, was a bit of a surprise for me, looked good. Same as Lockwood, both guys imo has a future in the NHL. Lockwood is the new honey badger.

I'm a Demko fan, but Holtby looked a bit better so far in camp. I have full confidence our goaltending is not going to be a problem.

Looked like a slewfoot by Motte. Gaudette also skating much better. Looking for Gaudette to solidfy himself as a core player on this team.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Still you keep Nate and find a way to move somebody else.
Giving up a top pairing D-man for nothing is lunacy, cap or not

He's not a perfect player...he'll turn it over or get beat now and then. He's also small-ish, on the older side and pretty expensive with term. There's risk and opportunity cost there...if he was a free agent I doubt he'd be getting a better contract. Vegas has Theodore and now Pietrangelo for the PP, Schmidt would have been somewhat redundant for how much he costs. Vancouver really needed another mobile puck-mover, so it was a good fit.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Kind of strange to say it, but there were a couple plays by Rathbone that had me double-checking to make sure he didn't have a 4 in front of the 3 on his jersey. He skates like Hughes and the way he passes the puck looks similar too. He probably needs a little time to adjust to the NHL, but he has lots of potential.

Also, if you are doing comparisons, Chatfield has the skating and flow of a young Tanev. He doesn't have the same passing ability though unfortunately.

Rathbone has some of the skating of Hughes, but you can tell he doesn't have the hands or quite the creativity.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Woo was way above my expectations. Not ready yet but a lot closer than I thought he was.

Agree that he was a positive surprise, some were saying that he didn't look like he belonged before but he made some pretty nice plays tonight and his skating wasn't awful.

Reactions: iceburg

Kassattack

Low expectations
Sep 13, 2014
Victoria
Quick Notes on some things I noticed:

- Hoglander looks like he belongs, did not look out of place. Nothing amazing but still solid. Has great chemistry with Horvat already

- Juolevi was very solid, smart puck management and solid defensively. Looks like he belongs.

- Rathbone, you can see the talent to be NHL calibre with his skating and smarts but still rough around the edges in the defensive zone, being a little too careless with the puck. Close but needs some more development imo

- Bailey played like you'd expect MacEwen, big and fast. Deserves a taxi squad spot if he was like this all camp.

- Schmidt is damn impressive, eastern media is sleeping on how much of an upgrade he is to this defence.

- Chatfield had a solid game and looked like he belonged, but not sure if that's just playing with Hughes rubbing off on him.

- Motte... what the hell is he doing? I like the intensity but he injures a guy then slew foots Gaudette? Deserved to get fought there. Just stupid with the season starting in 5 days.

- Lockwood looks closer to the NHL than I thought, he was good but needs development in Utica first. But he looked pretty good tonight

Edit:

- Also, Boeser's skating has looked improved mechanically. But hard to tell with the scrimmage speed if it will pay dividends.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Schmitty comes as advertised. Our transition game is looking good this year.
Hog and OJ make Wednesday's lineup. Rathbone in by 3rd week of Feb and might not ever leave. Woo is going to be a regular someday.
I'd like to see Bailey and Motte play together on that 4th line.
Lockwood impressed. I could see him on the 3rd line next year.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Agree that he was a positive surprise, some were saying that he didn't look like he belonged before but he made some pretty nice plays tonight and his skating wasn't awful.
He made 2 or 3 high end outlet passes. Impressive. Mobility looked ok.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Motte was being a big time asshole today. Gaudette will be waiting for him in the parking lot.
GcU2Gd.gif

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Guys on 650 saying Motte's slew foot on Gaudette wasn't intentional...

Last edited:

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
One guy I thought who looked really rusty was Pettersson, not going to be good enough from him for when the season starts

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
One guy I thought who looked really rusty was Pettersson, not going to be good enough from him for when the season starts
Pettersson didn't seem to be playing at full speed. I thought Hughes showed some flashes (and they are seriously impressive) but was otherwise disinterested.

Kassattack

Low expectations
Sep 13, 2014
Victoria
Miller, Pearson and Pettersson barely cared about this game. As they should, they're set roster guys looking to not get hurt before the season.

This was more for the fringe guys looking for roster spots and taxi squad spots.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Miller, Pearson and Pettersson barely cared about this game. As they should, they're set roster guys looking to not get hurt before the season.

This was more for the fringe guys looking for roster spots and taxi squad spots.
Pretty sure Motter was battling for a playoff spot against a heated rival.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->