Injury Report: Injury updates (Mantha out another month, Green a few weeks)

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
What are the most recent projections for contract for Mantha? He's going to be 26 next year, hasn't scored 30 yet (although was well on his way this year), and is starting to build a bit of an injury resume. I hope we keep him around long term if the price is right...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What are the most recent projections for contract for Mantha? He's going to be 26 next year, hasn't scored 30 yet (although was well on his way this year), and is starting to build a bit of an injury resume. I hope we keep him around long term if the price is right...

I think these are the ballparks:

Larkin - 6.1M
Mantha - 5.5M
Bertuzzi - 5.0M
Athanasiou - 4.75M
Fabbri - 3.5M (kind of old AA/Mantha deal, 2 years)

Last 2 season combined production:

Larkin - 0.86 points per game
(Nyquist - 0.79- got 5.5M as UFA)
Mantha - 0.75
Bertuzzi - 0.67
Athanasiou - 0.65

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
They should think long and hard about Mantha. The way he plays, that injury situation isn't going to get better.

It might be wise to trade him to a team that's more of a contender, if we can get a 1st and/or a good defensive prospect.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I think these are the ballparks:

Larkin - 6.1M
Mantha - 5.5M
Bertuzzi - 5.0M
Athanasiou - 4.75M
Fabbri - 3.5M (kind of old AA/Mantha deal, 2 years)

Last 2 season combined production:

Larkin - 0.86 points per game
(Nyquist - 0.79- got 5.5M as UFA)
Mantha - 0.75
Bertuzzi - 0.67
Athanasiou - 0.65
I would be fine with these numbers. Gives us room for a big contract when the dead weight is gone.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
They should think long and hard about Mantha. The way he plays, that injury situation isn't going to get better.

It might be wise to trade him to a team that's more of a contender, if we can get a 1st and/or a good defensive prospect.

Yeah, so far I'd throw the longest contract for Bertuzzi.

Bertuzzi - 6 years
Mantha - 4 years
Athanasiou - 2 years

Reactions: hkydave04

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019

I think both Mantha and AA should be shipped out. I would not do it right now, though, because their values are depressed. If AA can pick up his play down the stretch I'd move him at the draft. I'm not sure when the best time to move Mantha is. Maybe early next season, when he's healthy, producing and under contract?

It may also be time to start thinking about moving Bert. He's probably too old to contribute at a high level by the time we get enough good players on the roster.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I think both Mantha and AA should be shipped out. I would not do it right now, though, because their values are depressed. If AA can pick up his play down the stretch I'd move him at the draft. I'm not sure when the best time to move Mantha is. Maybe early next season, when he's healthy, producing and under contract?

It may also be time to start thinking about moving Bert. He's probably too old to contribute at a high level by the time we get enough good players on the roster.
Jesus Christ man. He's 24.

f***ing hell.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Mantha's injury could be a blessing in disguise. Will push the cost down, if he's willing to sign long-term I think we could get a complete steal of a deal. His inability to stay healthy is somewhat concerning but he's not getting the type of injuries that should impact his play going forward.

Jesus Christ man. He's 24.

****ing hell.
Some people think the entire roster needs to be U23 when we start getting good.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
I don’t believe we should deal Bert but it’s not crazy to consider. He will be 25 next month. If you think your roster won’t be able to truly compete for another three years, so you want to give him a long term deal at 5 or 6 mil, knowing he’ll likely be out of his prime producing years at that point?

Again, we aren’t in a cap crunch long term where that should be an issue, but I don’t think it’s a crazy thought.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Three of Mantha's injuries are from fighting...so I'm not too concerned about it. What's more concerning is that no one else is stepping up to make sure Mantha doesn't have to take the brunt of the fights.

Reactions: 14ari13

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I don’t believe we should deal Bert but it’s not crazy to consider. He will be 25 next month. If you think your roster won’t be able to truly compete for another three years, so you want to give him a long term deal at 5 or 6 mil, knowing he’ll likely be out of his prime producing years at that point?

Again, we aren’t in a cap crunch long term where that should be an issue, but I don’t think it’s a crazy thought.

In 3 years, when Bertuzzi is only turning 28 years old, his prime producing years better not be behind him. Bertuzzi might never set the world on fire, but he does seem like a player that will age like a fine wine. His game doesn't really rely on his athleticism, it doesn't really rely on his physicality. He has a good mind for the game, good puck skills, and a great work ethic. As long as he can stay healthy and not worry about his body (specifically his legs) breaking down on him, I expect him to be a very consistent scorer in the NHL into his early 30s.

Bert is a perfect example of a player who will always be more valuable to the team he plays for than what the team on the outside looking in will offer. If your true window to start making noise is 3 years, you keep him. If you want to talk about 5+ years, out of respect for Tyler (and to maximize his value) I would probably say move him sooner rather than later.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Stupid. I would say ONE of AA, Mantha, or Bert should be dealt. Maybe you could sell me on dealing two of them. But one certainly needs to go. We should want elite players and not just very good ones. If Zadina keeps growing, we land a top 6 guy with our top 4 pick, Larkin, Rasmussen keeps growing, Veleno keeps growing, we've got 5 guys right there. Let's not rush to lock up all the guys who are the best players on our really really ****ty roster. I want a better player than 55 point one-way forward AA. I value Zadina, #1-4OA, Rasmussen, and Veleno and what they can be more than the guys who aren't bus drivers currently.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Three of Mantha's injuries are from fighting...so I'm not too concerned about it. What's more concerning is that no one else is stepping up to make sure Mantha doesn't have to take the brunt of the fights.

That's why we are hoping Givani Smith and Albin Grewe carve out roles for a number of years. Grewe seems like he might honestly have what it takes to be the next true villain of the NHL. I don't hate it, but I know we have some posters around here who are very critical of that type player. He will be an interesting one to follow.

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
That's why we are hoping Givani Smith and Albin Grewe carve out roles for a number of years. Grewe seems like he might honestly have what it takes to be the next true villain of the NHL. I don't hate it, but I know we have some posters around here who are very critical of that type player. He will be an interesting one to follow.
As long as Grewe isn't licking people or slew-footing players, I'll be fine with him. I hope he can make it into the league with his style of play, but he seems years away from that.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Mantha doesn't have to fight. One fighting injury, could be fluky. Two fighting injuries, not the best, but it happens. Three fighting injuries and you should know better.

I don't buy this crap about "protecting the team." There's no way Mantha is willing to piss away millions just to make his teammates feel safer (at least until he's out of the lineup, in which case they would be unsafe again...). This is just poor judgment and impulse control on his part. Him fighting hurts the team a lot more than it helps it. If anything, his teammates should want him to stop.

Reactions: SoupGuru

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad