Injury Report: Injury updates (Mantha out another month, Green a few weeks)

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Concerning about Mantha. Hope it's not a concussion, could be the next Franzen.

Isnt the injury being reported as a Shoulder/Rib injury? I wonder if he messed something up in his scapula.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
:laugh:

oh really? So if your teammate is getting pushed around or double teamed you should just stand around?

no wonder our team gets stomped on

Yeah, Datsyuk never fought anyone...

and this must have been some other 19...

Let me clarify. If you get directly challenged or cheapshot, stand your ground. But when you're like Mantha and you've been on the IR for multiple injuries sustained in fights AND you're one of the most skilled players on the roster, maybe you don't try to be the bruiser?

Datsyuk stood his ground because Perry was ****ing with him. Yzerman stood his ground because Chelios was ****ing with him. Slava Kozlov stood up to Adam Foote in the playoffs because he was ****ing with him. None of those guys made it a common thing to get into fights or try to enact some sort of revenge on guys. Of course what I said gets taken as "the team should be a bunch of pansies". I even literally said, don't back down if you're challenged like a pansy. But you also shouldn't be obsessed with sending a message physically if you can't do so without getting hurt. Because had Mantha not felt the need to go after Muzzin physically like that, he wouldn't be on the shelf for multiple months.

With Stevie and Pavs, they didn't shy away from fighting or standing up for themselves, but they didn't go seeking it out, either. Mantha is hurt now because he went after Muzzin. He has to be smart enough to know he's more important skill wise to Detroit than he is fighting wise.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Let me clarify. If you get directly challenged or cheapshot, stand your ground. But when you're like Mantha and you've been on the IR for multiple injuries sustained in fights AND you're one of the most skilled players on the roster, maybe you don't try to be the bruiser?

Datsyuk stood his ground because Perry was ****ing with him. Yzerman stood his ground because Chelios was ****ing with him. Slava Kozlov stood up to Adam Foote in the playoffs because he was ****ing with him. None of those guys made it a common thing to get into fights or try to enact some sort of revenge on guys. Of course what I said gets taken as "the team should be a bunch of pansies". I even literally said, don't back down if you're challenged like a pansy. But you also shouldn't be obsessed with sending a message physically if you can't do so without getting hurt. Because had Mantha not felt the need to go after Muzzin physically like that, he wouldn't be on the shelf for multiple months.

With Stevie and Pavs, they didn't shy away from fighting or standing up for themselves, but they didn't go seeking it out, either. Mantha is hurt now because he went after Muzzin. He has to be smart enough to know he's more important skill wise to Detroit than he is fighting wise.

I wish you were wrong, but you’re not. If he’s out for the rest of the season like the reports are indicating, isn’t this the third time in his career that an injury from a fight ended his season. Some goes after him, he should stand his ground, but he needs to stop playing enforcing, his body clearly can’t handle it.

Reactions: DatsDeking

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If Mantha is out the rest of the season, he will have only played 236 NHL games since becoming a full-time player. That's a little less than three full seasons of NHL games. He will have missed an entire season's worth of games due to injuries in his young career.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Mid-round picks, fourth or fifth round darts at the wall.

Daley I think will have interest around the league. He has won before, as a 6th/7th D-man on some contender I can see someone thinking it is worth it.

Green at half-off I am not sure what he could get. Vegas is supposedly looking for d help, not sure what happens with him.

Yea, Daley fits into the same category as a couple of veteran "depth" guys that moved as rentals at last years deadline. Cup winner that could still fill a third pair or insurance role for a playoff team. Adam McQuaid, who similar to Daley had dealt with lots of injuries in and prior to the year he was dealt, netted a 4th and 7th. The other was Ben Lovejoy, who netted a 3rd and 24YO project Dman playing at the NHL level. Both guys were also pretty close to Daley in cap hit ($2.75 for McQuaid, $2.666667 for Lovejoy).

With full retention, Daley is a pretty easy add for teams with little cap room since he'd only be around $400k against the cap and would be due less than $300k in actual salary.

The only worries with Daley might be if he can't stay healthy for a decent stretch over the next month, or he uses his 15 team no trade list that kicks in 10 days before to deadline to block a bunch of teams that might actually be interested.

I think Green has the same worries, maybe even more so with a no-trade list, as he seemed pretty picky about location when they tried to move him two years ago. That said, given the return McQuaid and Lovejoy went for, I'd be really surprised if Green doesn't net a late 2nd (by itself)

Given Green and Daley's drop in play and injuries this season, I guess they could also go for conditionals based on how much they play for their new teams for the rest of the year and the playoffs.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yea, Daley fits into the same category as a couple of veteran "depth" guys that moved as rentals at last years deadline. Cup winner that could still fill a third pair or insurance role for a playoff team. Adam McQuaid, who similar to Daley had dealt with lots of injuries in and prior to the year he was dealt, netted a 4th and 7th. The other was Ben Lovejoy, who netted a 3rd and 24YO project Dman playing at the NHL level. Both guys were also pretty close to Daley in cap hit ($2.75 for McQuaid, $2.666667 for Lovejoy).

With full retention, Daley is a pretty easy add for teams with little cap room since he'd only be around $400k against the cap and would be due less than $300k in actual salary.

The only worries with Daley might be if he can't stay healthy for a decent stretch over the next month, or he uses his 15 team no trade list that kicks in 10 days before to deadline to block a bunch of teams that might actually be interested.

I think Green has the same worries, maybe even more so with a no-trade list, as he seemed pretty picky about location when they tried to move him two years ago. That said, given the return McQuaid and Lovejoy went for, I'd be really surprised if Green doesn't net a late 2nd (by itself)

Given Green and Daley's drop in play and injuries this season, I guess they could also go for conditionals based on how much they play for their new teams for the rest of the year and the playoffs.

My honest thought on Daley, is there are better veteran D for depth out there on other non playoff teams, for contenders to go after.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Seeing that the other two guys that injured Mantha in a fight became UFA's and joined the Wings months later, what do you think Yzerman pays Muzzin this summer? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Seeing that the other two guys that injured Mantha in a fight became UFA's and joined the Wings months later, what do you think Yzerman pays Muzzin this summer? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

When it was just like a freak accident in a fight, I don't think it was anything too much to get over, but the way that Mantha-Muzzin altercation went down...shit. I don't think Muzzin would ever be accepted in this locker room.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
When it was just like a freak accident in a fight, I don't think it was anything too much to get over, but the way that Mantha-Muzzin altercation went down...****. I don't think Muzzin would ever be accepted in this locker room.

I dont know, I think they would probably talk and be fine. Mantha started something that shouldnt have even been started. It would be hilarious though, it would continue the "whoever Mantha fights becomes a Wing" narrative, and honestly? Muzzin being a Wing would be fantastic.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Any news on AA?

It’s the all star break and the bye week for the Wings starts tomorrow. Athanasiou is probably on a beach in the Caribbean.

There won’t be any news until we get closer to Friday. Maybe Wednesday or Thursday there will be some reporting on his status.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Mantha is not Shanahan. Shanny could fight anyone. But we did not want him to fight.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Any word on AA's return and what his injury was? I still think that he'd be a great addition to the Oilers if you guys are selling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad