Injury Report: Injury Summary

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKG08

Oct 6, 2014
Southern, OH
Must have blamed the player for having his head down. Typical.

He hit Anisimov in the chest. Anisimov's helmet went flying off making it look like a head hit, but it wasn't. From the far side camera angle, you can see Gryba's shoulder hit square in Anisimov's chest and then roll up towards the chin. It was incidental contact to the head. No suspension necessary.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
He hit Anisimov in the chest. Anisimov's helmet went flying off making it look like a head hit, but it wasn't. From the far side camera angle, you can see Gryba's shoulder hit square in Anisimov's chest and then roll up towards the chin. It was incidental contact to the head. No suspension necessary.

I'd have still suspended him. Gryba leapt upward through the hit, which is why there ended up being a lot of head contact. That's not incidental, even if the initial point of contact was the chest.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'd have still suspended him. Gryba leapt upward through the hit, which is why there ended up being a lot of head contact. That's not incidental, even if the initial point of contact was the chest.
That justifies his being tossed, to be sure. Beyond that is up for debate.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Wasn't a dirty hit. A necessary hit? We could go back and forth all day about that. The result of Arty getting injured is the only issue now.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

I've seen all the footage. I also can see where the player see's AA looking away from him and he makes a decides to lay him out anyway. Making excuses for delivering devastating hits to vulnerable players has to end.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Wasn't a dirty hit. A necessary hit? We could go back and forth all day about that. The result of Arty getting injured is the only issue now.

One definition for dirty, in my book, is a hit delivered, intentionally, to a vulnerable player. Yes, I consider the hit dirty.

JKG08

Oct 6, 2014
Southern, OH
So you're supposed to let a guy walk into your zone with the puck just because he has his head down?

I love arty, but this isn't the first time he's been clocked for looking at the puck. If he hasn't learned to keep his head up, he needs someone to tell it to him. And if the roles were reversed and a CBJ player put that hit on another team, I'd be saying the exact same thing.

Hitting is a part of the game. You don't carry the puck with your head down, you don't throw it in front of your own net, and you don't turn your back to center ice and face the boards when someone is coming to hit you. Those are 3 of the first lessons any young hockey player learns.

And yes, I know arty had already dropped the puck. But puck possession had nothing to do with your argument as to why it was dirty.

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
The argument is whether a hit like that should be a part of the game. From my perspective, given all we've learned about concussions and how bad they are for players' long term health, there is no justification for these kinds of hits anymore. People who defend them like the violence in the game. I get that. I just don't think it's justifiable in the long term. I have trouble enjoying football anymore for similar reasons.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So you're supposed to let a guy walk into your zone with the puck just because he has his head down?

I love arty, but this isn't the first time he's been clocked for looking at the puck. If he hasn't learned to keep his head up, he needs someone to tell it to him. And if the roles were reversed and a CBJ player put that hit on another team, I'd be saying the exact same thing.

Hitting is a part of the game. You don't carry the puck with your head down, you don't throw it in front of your own net, and you don't turn your back to center ice and face the boards when someone is coming to hit you. Those are 3 of the first lessons any young hockey player learns.

And yes, I know arty had already dropped the puck. But puck possession had nothing to do with your argument as to why it was dirty.

Gryba had plenty of opportunity to hit Arty without hitting him in the head. All he had to do is not leap upward through the hit.

JKG08

Oct 6, 2014
Southern, OH
If you go to the thread on the NHL talk board you'll fine the majority of non CBJ fans (including fans of western conference teams who don't like/hate Ottawa any more or less than they do CBJ) see nothing wrong with the hit, yet the majority of CBJ fans are calling it dirty.

Don't you think there is at least a small chance we're being a little biased here?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Good hard check, fine. Principal point of contact shoulder/chest, fine. Arty needs o keep his head up, fine.

Gryba leaves his feet to lay a devastating rather than solid hit, not fine.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

The number of times that a clean hit is delivered to a guy with his head down entering the zone is almost non-existent. Nice strawman.

This wasn't even that, which makes your argument even less relevant. Blaming the victim has to end.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If you go to the thread on the NHL talk board you'll fine the majority of non CBJ fans (including fans of western conference teams who don't like/hate Ottawa any more or less than they do CBJ) see nothing wrong with the hit, yet the majority of CBJ fans are calling it dirty.

Don't you think there is at least a small chance we're being a little biased here?

My stance has been the same for years, CBJ player or not: Did you hit a guy in the head with your shoulder/elbow? Yes? Dirty hit.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
You might want to look at the gif of the hit again. Gryba didn't leave his feet. His right skate is on the ice the entire time. His heel comes up, but his skate never completely leaves the ice. And even the heel doesn't come up until after the hit.

http://giant.gfycat.com/SmugFeminineBelugawhale.gif

If you want to be on the side of supporting unnecessary and dangerous hits, I'm sorry to hear that.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You might want to look at the gif of the hit again. Gryba didn't leave his feet. His right skate is on the ice the entire time. His heel comes up, but his skate never completely leaves the ice. And even the heel doesn't come up until after the hit.

http://giant.gfycat.com/SmugFeminineBelugawhale.gif
It's the "straightens, launching himself into the collarbone" element that makes it awkward. He doesn't actually leave his feet per se, but at that point it's nitpicking.

The more I look at it, the more I think Gryba was trying to go for a major hit to the chest, and caught Artie's chin as part of it by accident. Still reckless to target that area of the body that way (because when you do that you're LIKELY to hit the head as part of it, which is what happened), which is why I say the game misconduct (and getting tossed) was correct, but I wouldn't call it suspension-worthy unless he was really going for a headshot. :dunno:

IMO calling for a suspension is more punitive than corrective. I understand it, empathize with it, and there's a vindictive part of me that agrees with it, but I overall don't think it's warranted. He got ejected, and the message was thereby sent; that's enough for me.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Was there a way Gryba could have hit him that didn't cause massive head trauma? Yes! Suspension. Done.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Was there a way Gryba could have hit him that didn't cause massive head trauma? Yes! Suspension. Done.

This. It's a borderline play in my estimation. The thing that really bothers me about the hit is the fact that Gryba tracked Arty and had time to make a check that would have separated him from the puck while not injuring our player. It seemed to me like while he didn't necessarily have ill-intent towards Anisimov, he still had no regard for the type of check he was going to deliver. 1-2 inches higher and it's a suspension, no doubt about it.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Amazing...after game #10 (or 12% of the season), we will have five forwards who will have played in every game - Johansen, Hartnell, Skille, Chaput, and Boll. That's it.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

Yes, this is becoming a no hitting league. I don't like it, but that's the rules. Hitter takes 100% of the responsibility and the skater is absolved of it. You can turn at the last second and get boarded from behind, and it'll be the hitter's fault. So why don't players just do that? Well, some do (and some dive), but most don't because they'd really rather not get hurt.

If you can't hit a player safely, you don't hit him. It was a good hit about 10 years ago. Now, it's dangerous and the league is against it.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Seems to me that just because a player has his head down doesn't mean you're free to unload on it. No, he should not be given a free pass into the offensive zone, but there was more than enough time and space for Arty to be blown up with a fully legal check that didn't involve contact with his head. Hitting and checking are not being eliminated, they're just (finally) trying to reduce the most dangerous contact, specifically: shots to the head. It is, and will always remain, a violent and dangerous sport, even with the moves that have recently been made to clean up some of the more egregious hits.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

Nah.;)

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
So Krueg is out for 2 to 3 weeks with a broken finger. But yet both our guys have broken fingers but theyre only 1 to 2 weeks :laugh: We must have a +2 for quick healing. Cant say i've ever really heard of a broken finger only possibly being a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad