Injury Report: Injuries Thread: 2018-19 Edition

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Hard to believe it's just a 'maintenance month' for Subban. Also was Willie's comment about Arvy's broken thumb the first time they acknowledged the actual injury, even though it was pretty obvious?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Hard to believe it's just a 'maintenance month' for Subban. Also was Willie's comment about Arvy's broken thumb the first time they acknowledged the actual injury, even though it was pretty obvious?
Don't think so. I think they stated it a couple of days after mainly because it was so obvious.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Here's the clip of Kypreos talking about it. Starts about 40 seconds in.

basically he said that it's the kinda lingering injury where if it was playoff time right now, he'd for sure be playing, but since it's not, they've decided to take a conservative approach with the injury and that they think that a shorter regular season would benefit him in case of a long playoff run.

Reactions: PredsV82

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think a part of it is Poile looking what we look like without Subban so maybe he can trade him at some point. Doesn't help that we have our two top wingers out and just got Turris back who doesn't look 100%.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
this still amazes me.

even the thought that hey him only playing 50 games might help him, well no crap, you could say that about every player. but you don't sit a guy down for 30 something regular season games just so he will be better in the playoffs.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
You don't pay a guy 9M to play 50 games. If he isn't going to help the team playing through the injury then it is better to just sit him rather than him hurting himself worse and not play in the playoffs. If we didn't have Hamhuis it would be a bigger issue and while we would be a better team with Subban we can get by without him.

Reactions: adsfan

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
You don't pay a guy 9M to play 50 games. If he isn't going to help the team playing through the injury then it is better to just sit him rather than him hurting himself worse and not play in the playoffs. If we didn't have Hamhuis it would be a bigger issue and while we would be a better team with Subban we can get by without him.

George Sisler, the old St. Louis Browns baseball player, was famous for not going to movies. He believed that they would damage his eyesight because his pupils would be dilated for so long. He held the record for MLB hits in a season with 257. That record stood from 1920 to 2004.

Whether he was right or wrong about his eyesight, he went out of his way to take care of himself. He developed a sinus condition and claimed that he could not see anymore. He retired after hitting .326 in his final season!

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
this still amazes me.

even the thought that hey him only playing 50 games might help him, well no crap, you could say that about every player. but you don't sit a guy down for 30 something regular season games just so he will be better in the playoffs.

I'd argue that as good as this team is, if needed, you can indeed do that. I imagine a 4 game losing streak would have got him back in the lineup. But as it is we are still first in the division. They may also have seen something last year in the playoffs that makes them want to do this.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
That would fit in his "it's my fault, something I let go" both of those injuries are caused by a lack of stretching.

I took this quote to mean he should have shut himself down sooner and he didnt. Remember just before he went on IR he played a couple of games where it was clear he was battling something
I think a part of it is Poile looking what we look like without Subban so maybe he can trade him at some point. Doesn't help that we have our two top wingers out and just got Turris back who doesn't look 100%.

I dont believe this at all

Reactions: bdub24

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I dont believe this at all

Well, we're bound to trade someone from the top-4 before the ED, and Ellis & Ekholm are locked up long-term and Josi is the captain. Also, Subban is the most injury-prone from the 4 and probably would yield the biggest return.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Well, we're bound to trade someone from the top-4 before the ED, and Ellis & Ekholm are locked up long-term and Josi is the captain. Also, Subban is the most injury-prone from the 4 and probably would yield the biggest return.

That's two years from now. I dont believe Poile is looking to trade anyone in that top 4 until after the 20-21 season. A lot can happen between now and then

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I could see Poile getting interested in moving Subban IF Weber hangs em up AND the league declares the team is on the hook for the contract that was signed before this latest league/player agreement that obligates teams to pick up those contracts. Two hypothetical hurtles that, if realized, would put us under budgetary pressure to move him. Other than that... He won't be going anywhere. Some folks will need to get used to seeing him for years to come.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I could see Poile getting interested in moving Subban IF Weber hangs em up AND the league declares the team is on the hook for the contract that was signed before this latest league/player agreement that obligates teams to pick up those contracts. Two hypothetical hurtles that, if realized, would put us under budgetary pressure to move him. Other than that... He won't be going anywhere. Some folks will need to get used to seeing him for years to come.
Never say never. People said Poile would never trade Weber as well.

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
I'd be for trading PK, he's been a noticeable decline and will only get worse. I can't imagine his play in 3 years. At the same time, we don't have a great replacement. Losing Girard was a huge blow for our current and future d-corps.

If Karlsson is available this offseason, we should go all in, assuming we can unload that PK contract. It also gives us protection if Josi leaves after next season.

I would think we'd be an appealing destination to Karlsson, with the Swede /Nordic connection, lower key market, and income tax.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I'd be for trading PK, he's been a noticeable decline and will only get worse. I can't imagine his play in 3 years. At the same time, we don't have a great replacement. Losing Girard was a huge blow for our current and future d-corps.

What noticeable decline? He was great last season. Norris finalist.

If you're referring to his slow start this season and then whatever injury is bugging him then almost everyone in the league should have been traded at some point. IMO losing Girard sucked, though we did get Turris, but he isn't the kind of d who replaces Subban. There aren't many to be honest.

Last edited:
Reactions: RickP and PredsV82

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land

If Karlsson is available this offseason, we should go all in, assuming we can unload that PK contract. It also gives us protection if Josi leaves after next season.

I would think we'd be an appealing destination to Karlsson, with the Swede /Nordic connection, lower key market, and income tax.
Arguing a trade is necessary due to decline and then offering the farm for Karlsson? Uh...wow man.

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
Arguing a trade is necessary due to decline and then offering the farm for Karlsson? Uh...wow man.
Karlsson is UFA if he makes it to the summer. That would require zero of the farm, man.

Subban has lost about half his agility since age 25. He's going to be a walking cinderblock by the age 33. I assume that to be part of the reason why we are giving him "maintenance time" right now. We can't have penalty-prone PK throwing forearm shivers because he can't keep up during the playoffs. Well, we know that's going to happen to some degree, but let's hope the good out-weights the bad.

He did do a better job of not telegraphing his shot last year.

But yea, I'd swap Karlsson for PK in the offseason, on agility alone.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Karlsson is definitely not a better answer. He's also gonna command like 10-11M in the open market something we shouldn't touch.

We could bring a replacement in the Subban trade or acquire one in the UFA. Fabbro's gonna be ready pretty soon, and if he isn't he's never gonna be.

One thing I'm pretty sure of is this: If we don't win the Cup this year, this is not going to be the team we're trying to win it next year. Changes will be coming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad