Rumor: Indications are that Jim Benning will return (Friedman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Wanna know what the ownership will say to the players if they whine about management publically?
Shut the f*** up and play, or go somewhere else.

I have seen this happen way to many times

Reactions: Nucker101

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
This could be right or wrong but I just question how they would know this, the source would literally have to be in the locker room or a player who’s sharing details with his agent which also seems a bit weird to me unless he’s that close with his agent lol

media are all idiots. Like Friedman yesterday reported something then Dhaliwal tweets “I heard this too” lol.

yeah you just heard it from Friedman you dummy.

Reactions: B-rock and Fatass

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
It’s started. Apparently JPat reported players didn’t even finish pregame skate yesterday which is unheard of and a couple veterans are flying out of Calgary home tonight. Not even coming back to Vancouver for exit interviews or to grab stuff lol. They want out of here ASAP.
Jpat said both teams didn’t finish, no? These teams know these games are a joke lol

Reactions: mossey3535

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The paying big dollars for veteran presence meme doesn’t justify that the dollar relative to productivity was an issue.

The Leafs paid nothing to guys like Spezza, Simmonds, Thornton. POM, the dollars were and still are indefensible.
Benning claims that players like Beagle were instrumental in their playoff series last year...( and even admitted he overpaid for them)

He gave them too much term..that is what landed Benning in the hot seat.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Benning claims that players like Beagle were instrumental in their playoff series last year...( and even admitted he overpaid for them)

He gave them too much term..that is what landed Benning in the hot seat.
You just said he overpaid for them but then also are saying that cap hit wasn’t an issue.

Which one is it? Did they overpay them or did they sign them to good value contracts from a cap perspective?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You just said he overpaid for them but then also are saying that cap hit wasn’t an issue.

Which one is it? Did they overpay them or did they sign them to good value contracts from a cap perspective?
It wouldnt have been a cap issue if he had given them (Beagle and Roussel) a year less..They were overpaid as well, as UFA's go.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Wanna know what the ownership will say to the players if they whine about management publically?
Shut the f*** up and play, or go somewhere else.

I have seen this happen way to many times

Or they could fire everyone like Buffalo did with Murray/Bylsma.

Pettersson absolutely has leverage and not even the biggest Benning fans can support moving him.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
At this point the most hope we can have is that yesterdays fireworks were just a big focus group study through the media and the Aquilini's were just testing to see if the Sedins could repair the brand.

That definitely does not seem to be the case lol and it seems like the players exit interviews over the next few days and into early next week will be very telling.

They may still bite the bullet on Benning next week. But, wouldn't bet on it.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
It wouldnt have been a cap issue if he had given them (Beagle and Roussel) a year less..They were overpaid as well, as UFA's go.
But that’s false because Beagle has never performed at the level of a $3MM player and Roussel only did for one year and then has been bad the last two?

Beagle has also never paced to play more than 70% of the season in his three years because he is old and the body is deteriorating

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
If they provide less impact than most other players at similar cap hits then by definition their cap hits are an issue due to being bad value. In a cap world, cap space is an actual asset so even if a player is useful, if they’re overpaid and have no trade value, they’re a negative asset and you’d be better off not having the player at all.

Reactions: vanuck

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Give us one reason, based on the last 7 years of EVIDENCE that Jim Benning will use that cap space wisely and properly.

It's all part of his 9 year plan. Who cares if he was spending his cap space wisely and properly in year 3, 4, 5, 6, whatever. It's all been building to year 9. Nothing Benning has done matters until year 9.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
This could be right or wrong but I just question how they would know this, the source would literally have to be in the locker room or a player who’s sharing details with his agent which also seems a bit weird to me unless he’s that close with his agent lol

Agents leak sh*t to the media all the time. Hell, Allan Walsh sh*tposts on twitter. I wouldn't be surprised if this is coming directly from a player either. All it takes is for a player to say to their agent "This has been a real rough go and I'm uncomfortable being here if things don't change". Agent leaks that to the press to facilitate change. Remember, everything the media gets has a slant to it just depends on who their source is. Friedman's sources are very condensed around teams' upper management. Smaller level reporters tend to have certain players or agents that trust them to leak the news the way they want.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
So much drama.

Predictably took a step back. Predictably the departs had great seasons. Covid, the schedule, Pettersson. The players are one thing i could care less about the results from a player perspective at this point or the number of points.

I'm in shock that Aqua is this easy to work for and who is doing the selling for next year? The Sedins?

Something has gotta give here. I'm just gonna wait this out before commenting too much. They have to explain this to their fans at some point do they not?

I'm more concerned about the lack of stability. Players, coaches, scouts, staff.... does anyone know what's going on? Geoff Courtnall maybe?

Such a cloak of secrecy and need for someone to make some sense of the huge question marks outside of the obvious poor performance by the players.

Benning standing in front of the Cameras is that gonna be the answer? That's not gonna go well and the Sedins? is this not 2014 all over again but without the hope that a new GM might know what he's doing? Yikes No offense to Henrik and Daniel but getting much from those 2 regarding a coherent direction and/or explanation isn't fair nor worthy of any kind of justification if they even want to touch that.

Should be some hilarious interviews coming. That we can count on

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Every GM needs at least 9 years before we can really judge them.

Years 1-3: always a wash due to the previous regime
Years 4-6: middle of the journey where we're waiting for the draftees from years 1-3 to graduate to the show
Years 7-9: prospects have made the team but now need we them to age into the 25-36 age range that teams win with

That's why we need to give Benning 9 years. Then...and ONLY then...can we start judging him.

So I say maybe in year 12 we can discuss whether or not he should stay.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
What the actual f&@$ does that even mean?
Our players weren’t good enough this year, so they’re gonna band together and blame management/coaching?

Dramatic Drancer at it again.

That's actually something to consider here. The Canuck fans don't generally like Travis Green, many wanting him replaced, but what do the players think of him? As it's been reported that he's a good communicator, maybe they like the guy and having management hang him out to dry is another black mark for the players against Benning.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It’s started. Apparently JPat reported players didn’t even finish pregame skate yesterday which is unheard of and a couple veterans are flying out of Calgary home tonight. Not even coming back to Vancouver for exit interviews or to grab stuff lol. They want out of here ASAP.

They've had a tough year but I think all exit interviews are done through zoom anyways.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Beagle and Roussel were brought in as a 'veteran presence' after the void left by the Sedins...They coveted him (there was a bidding war for Beagle)

It wasnt a case of who can get the most bang for the buck on 4th line plugs.

I would believe Beagle and Roussel were only overpaid because of leadership if it was a one off, but it's not. Derek Dorsett got about what Beagle would of got in cap% and term while the Sedins were still here.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Maybe I misunderstood but when Benning first started they kept using “re-tool” as the term. Wouldn’t commit to full on rebuild. As of last few years (so like fast forward 3-5yrs) we have been on the fence if this is a rebuild, retool or just some muck in the middle. Sure we have some promising young players but are still straddling the line of mediocracy. If they would’ve just stated it was a full on rebuild to start with it would’ve tempered our expectations. 7yrs later and we have no idea what is going on here!!!

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That's actually something to consider here. The Canuck fans don't generally like Travis Green, many wanting him replaced, but what do the players think of him? As it's been reported that he's a good communicator, maybe they like the guy and having management hang him out to dry is another black mark for the players against Benning.

I think Benning is unfairly blamed here. The consensus (among the media) seems to be that a contract was made to Green at some point but the money was not good enough. Benning has come out and said he wants to extend Green and Green has said that he has a great relationship with Benning. Even Ferraro assumed that the holdup was due to ownership and not Benning. So I don't think Benning has hung Green out to dry here especially if Green does in fact have a contract offer in front of him.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
But that’s false because Beagle has never performed at the level of a $3MM player and Roussel only did for one year and then has been bad the last two?

Beagle has also never paced to play more than 70% of the season in his three years because he is old and the body is deteriorating
Correct, they did not...I'm not endorsing the signings because that is what got them in this mess..I'm just trying to explain 'why' they signed them.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Benning still hasn't had the balls to address the Virtanen fiasco.

Between last offseason, the COVID disaster, trading Gaudette for squat, Virtanen, possibly Green and Clark not returning.....

Just how the f*** does this guy get ANOTHER year?

I honestly hope most of the players just tell them to f*** off and want out.

Have EP sign an offersheet.

That promising core could be decimated within 12 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad