Rumor: Indications are that Jim Benning will return (Friedman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
We probably said something similar a few years ago about having all the deadweight off the books. It was then spent on Myers, Ferland, Roussel, Beagle and Benn.

I guess we should start looking ahead at which overpaid/washed vets will be free agents 12 months from now.

2022:

Ryan Reeves has signed a 3 year 8.5 million dollar deal with the Vancouver Canucks.

Ramus Ristolainen has signed a 6 year 36 million contract with Vancouver.

Olli Maata has signed a 2 year 5 million contract with Vancouver.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I still clearly remember some posters here arguing that the overpayment for Ferland, Roussel and Beagle were fine because we had "plenty of cap space" anyways and it was free to use.

It's interesting how it turned out.
Ferland, I recall most posters being happy with that transaction at the time...As far Roussel and Beagle, the $ wasnt the problem..the term was.(which is what I said when they were signed).

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
We probably said something similar a few years ago about having all the deadweight off the books. It was then spent on Myers, Ferland, Roussel, Beagle and Benn.

I guess we should start looking ahead at which overpaid/washed vets will be free agents 12 months from now.
-4Cs on playoff teams who are around 30
-Tall dmen who have a rep based on draft position/height
-bottom 6 shit disturbers around age 30
-other teams prospects given up on
-12/13 forwards with zero growth potential
-6/7 dmen with zero growth potential

I think thats about 95% of Bennings off season targets

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
-4Cs on playoff teams who are around 30
-Tall dmen who have a rep based on draft position/height
-bottom 6 shit disturbers around age 30
-other teams prospects given up on
-12/13 forwards with zero growth potential
-6/7 dmen with zero growth potential

I think thats about 95% of Bennings off season targets

Don't forget performance-chasing to court has-beens like OEL.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Ferland, I recall most posters being happy with that transaction at the time...As far Roussel and Beagle, the $ wasnt the problem..the term was.(which is what I said when they were signed).

Some were happy, some were OK, some called the move idiotic.

But you know what the difference is? For the posters here, this is not their job, this is not their responsibility, this is not their expertise.

Yet Benning still makes mistakes everywhere that can be recognized almost instantly by random people who has nothing to do with hockey operations.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
How does one become an educated fan? Is there a degree for that? Are some degrees more respected than others?
There are fans that are more committed and perhaps more knowledgeable. But even that knowledge is questionable because we have incomplete information as fans. Also knowledgeable fans still have their opinions driven by their emotions.
What is the big picture? We are just fans I say be optimistic. Teams go up and down based on the strength of their cores. and the Canucks will have a good opportunity to be good right away no matter who is in charge. The future is bright. It is 1990, 2000, 2008 all over again. We will be good within two years and really good within 4.

It really won't with the current man in charge. He has demonstrated he is incapable of learning from mistakes and has repeated the same blunders over and over with cap management, contracts, trading etc. He's a slightly above average drafter but that doesn't compensate for the unmitigated disaster he's charted this team through. This team got incredibly lucky (unlucky in hindsight) to have bumbled into the playoffs last year with a 24 team field. Unless COVID-22 happens I'm not seeing this fortune come their way anytime soon.

This team has never won a cup, sharing the ignominious honor with Buffalo for the longest existing team to have ZERO cups. I'd rather have the Senators' record and history. Following the team through the 94 and 11 heartbreakers, it's not outrageous that the fanbase feels it is due. Not due in the sense the league should just hand it to them, but due in the sense that ownership, who reaps the reputational and financial benefits of these fans, would take said fans seriously, fire the moron who can barely so much as run a whelk stand and hire a competent team committed to working at a Cup this decade.

Reactions: mossey3535

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
I'd be happy with sending a shot across the management group by firing Weisbrod. I think that would be enough to appease the fans and it would serve notice that the team isnt happy with the status quo.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Saying the $ wasn’t an issue when Dowd and Beagle were signed for league minimum and outperformed him is just false man.

At 1.5, cool. And if 1.5 doesn’t get him, move tf on?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Saying the $ wasn’t an issue when Dowd and Beagle were signed for league minimum and outperformed him is just false man.

At 1.5, cool. And if 1.5 doesn’t get him, move tf on?
Beagle and Roussel were brought in as a 'veteran presence' after the void left by the Sedins...They coveted him (there was a bidding war for Beagle)

It wasnt a case of who can get the most bang for the buck on 4th line plugs.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Beagle and Roussel were brought in as a 'veteran presence' after the void left by the Sedins...They coveted him (there was a bidding war for Beagle)

The paying big dollars for veteran presence meme doesn’t justify that the dollar relative to productivity was an issue.

The Leafs paid nothing to guys like Spezza, Simmonds, Thornton. POM, the dollars were and still are indefensible.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

lol seriously?

A bidding war? Washington didnt even bother to sign him after a cup. They signed Dowd for a reasonable rate and he has been the better player

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I agree Miller is a likely candidate based on being unhappy with the organization. From a purely family perspective, I could see Boeser wanting to be closer to his family.

I actually don’t see it being Hughes. His family connection with Weisbrod, and the report that he may be asking for term in his contract, lead me to think that he wants to stay.

Not if he thinks playing with his brother is preferable to staying in this hockey cesspool which I'm guessing he does...

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

Change is in the player's hands now IMO

This could be right or wrong but I just question how they would know this, the source would literally have to be in the locker room or a player who’s sharing details with his agent which also seems a bit weird to me unless he’s that close with his agent lol

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
yup, where are all the posters from this board that said cap space doesnt matter for a rebuilding team now?

They're probably now saying "Just wait till 2023/2024 when we free up massive cap space and when all of our top prospects will become regular contributors. WAIT AND SEE, GUYSSSSS"

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Same franchise trajectory as our expansion brothers, go figure.

I expect players to start reacting the same way on this side very soon.

:nucks:sabres

It’s started. Apparently JPat reported players didn’t even finish pregame skate yesterday which is unheard of and a couple veterans are flying out of Calgary home tonight. Not even coming back to Vancouver for exit interviews or to grab stuff lol. They want out of here ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad