In the System VIII (Ads and Prospects)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I'm not normally on adsfan's side with the refs but they were pretty bad tonight. The Admirals were hot garbage in the first 17:38 of the 3rd period, got a 6 on 4 PP goal and tied it with 43 seconds left. Then they went back to being complete shit in OT.

I don't disagree with any of the penalties called on the Ads tonight but Rockford got away with quite a few hooks, slashes and holds.

Reactions: cjerina

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I'm not normally on adsfan's side with the refs but they were pretty bad tonight. The Admirals were hot garbage in the first 17:38 of the 3rd period, got a 6 on 4 PP goal and tied it with 43 seconds left. Then they went back to being complete **** in OT.

I don't disagree with any of the penalties called on the Ads tonight but Rockford got away with quite a few hooks, slashes and holds

I rated tonight's refs as a 5 and a 4. Five is the starting point in my system and the average ref will get that score. As their penalty calls are accurate, their rating goes up. (Last night's refs received a 8 and a 7). Thackaberry was below average and got the 4.

I rarely complain about calls on the Admirals. It is the lack of calls on the road team that gets under my skin.

Rockford played 55 minutes and received 1 penalty. Then they received 2 penalties in the last 5 minutes to make it 6 minors for the Ads and 3 minors for Rockford.

Milwaukee needs to practice their 3-on-3! They are really bad at it. The last 2 games could have been 2 wins instead of 2 OT losses. The same guys started both nights with Gaudet, Tolvanen and Donovan generating ZERO offensive zone time. That is on the coaching staff!

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
Im starting to wonder if other players are tiring of AHL All-Star Matt Donovan's puck hogging abilities. Donovan crossed in front of Eeli near the blueline last night in OT and didn't drop it to Eeli, then turned it over seconds later. On the line change, you could see Eeli confused why Donovan maintained possession.

I know some are frustrated at Tinordi's hockey IQ, but Donovan's offensive decisions seem to be right up there.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Im starting to wonder if other players are tiring of AHL All-Star Matt Donovan's puck hogging abilities. Donovan crossed in front of Eeli near the blueline last night in OT and didn't drop it to Eeli, then turned it over seconds later. On the line change, you could see Eeli confused why Donovan maintained possession.

I know some are frustrated at Tinordi's hockey IQ, but Donovan's offensive decisions seem to be right up there.

Donovan can't play with Tolvanen and Gaudet. They are all puck possession players and there is only ONE PUCK. They need a Dman who passes the puck to them so they can go on the offensive. Somebody has to play defense out there.

My favorite moment from OT last night was this. The puck was chipped away from Donovan below the Ads blue line about 20 seconds into OT. The puck coasted across the ice and headed for the west half wall just above the face off circle. Donovan wasn't going to chase after it! A Rockford player went for the puck, so Eeli came back from the neutral zone to get the loose puck first. Then Donovan realized that if the IceHog got there first, he was probably going to score, so he finally skated after the puck after delaying for 1 or 2 seconds. I would have changed him right after that stunt. It was like he was sleep walking on ice.

You are right about Tinordi. IIRC, he replaced Donovan for Dman shift #2 in OT. Carrier would be a better choice because he is more mobile and a better stick handler than Tinordi. Tinordi has size and is hard to knock off the puck, but he doesn't have speed and isn't the best defender. That makes 2 shifts in a row where the Dman isn't the best passer or defender. Is it a surprise that Rockford scored less than 90 seconds into OT? Not to me. The forwards on the second shift were Richard (ideal for open ice) and Pettersson (who was playing the worst game that I have ever seen out of him).

I will repeat that the coaching staff made poor choices in player selection for OT. Carrier and Savage should have been the Dmen to start playing in OT. Pettersson should have been the third or fourth choice to play forward, not the second choice. OT shots on goal were Rockford 1 and Milwaukee ZERO. The Ads forwards never got the puck.

I feel sorry for Troy Grosenick. He made 39 saves and got a "L" for his efforts. Rockford was the best 7th place team that I ever saw.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoNecksCurse

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
What's the take on Trenin? Still hope he can be an NHL'er someday?

IMO, too early to tell. There are signs of potential, and this season Taylor is having him stand in front of the net screening goalies, which if he can excel at, should get him a chance in the NHL somewhere. I think last season was basically lost between injury and Evason not playing him much at all, this year is essentially his first AHL season.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
What's the take on Trenin? Still hope he can be an NHL'er someday?

Yes. He can be a third or fourth line NHL winger that chips in 8 or 10 goals a season. He has played better on the wing than at center.

Trenin is not great at anything, but he also isn't bad at anything. He can forecheck, take face offs, shoot and pass well.

He is not the Russian Rocket, but he can get to people on the ice and put a big hit on them!

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
So slower than Smith but hands like Salomaki? Are we sure he's ECHL material?

I haven't watched him enough to give update, but I just remember thinking that at prospect camp. He has a strange posture on the ice. I would certainly say his development path hasn't been what we had hoped, but that seems to be the norm for the majority of our prospects.

Reactions: triggrman

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Feel bad for Grosenick. It's a god damn bore and chore watching this team.

My friend Gerry (STH) left after the second period. He said that he couldn't stand to watch anymore. That is the second time in recent weeks that he has done it. I came in with 7 minutes remaining in period 1. I missed the only goal in the game. I missed the scrum behind the south goal in the first minute of period 2. Why do the Admirals play stupidly at the beginnings of games and at the end of periods? It has happened repeatedly this season.

The Ads kept zinging the puck to guys 25 to 30 feet away. The puck frequently rocketed off of the receiver's stick and to a Texas player. The Ads did that in all three zones the whole game. Who ever told them to do that lost the game for the team! Maybe that person should take a game off because it was stupid beyond belief. I am surprised that Milwaukee didn't have a bunch of broken sticks.

Last edited:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Ads were down 3-0 in period 1, then 4-0 in period 2. It took 15 minutes of period 1 to register their second SOG. Tonight, they had Laurent Dauphin (C) wearing #16 and Adam Helewka (LW) who had Gregoire's #23. Fred Allard is still not playing on defense. The final against the baby Pens was 5-2.

Phil DiGiuseppe adds nothing to this team. Why do we have him in Milwaukee?

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Highlight of the game was the PA announcement "Would the owner of the whatever brand of car it was with Iowa license plate whatever it was please report to fan services. Your car might be on fire."

Karl Taylor again completely uninspires. Don't know wtf he said in the interview but what he's doing now isn't close to good enough. Justin Kirkland can get the f*** off the PP any time now. Very generous shot total for the Admirals in the 1st period. They had maybe 5, none of them high danger. Meanwhile, any time you looked away for a few seconds WBS had a breakaway or odd man rush.

Shout out to the clearly die hard Pens fans behind me who contributed such gems as "He got called for hooking" right after the ref signals interference and my absolute favorite "Are there 15 minutes in a period?" said with 16:00 minutes left in the 1st period.

Last edited:
Reactions: adsfan

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Highlight of the game was the PA announcement "Would the owner of the whatever brand of car it was with Iowa license plate whatever it was please report to fan services. Your car might be on fire."

Karl Taylor again completely uninspires. Don't know wtf he said in the interview but what he's doing now isn't close to good enough. Justin Kirkland can get the **** off the PP any time now. Very generous shot total for the Admirals in the 1st period. They had maybe 5, none of them high danger. Meanwhile, any time you looked away for a few seconds WBS had a breakaway or odd man rush.

Shout out to the clearly die hard Pens fans behind me who contributed such gems as "He got called for hooking" right after the ref signals interference and my absolute favorite "Are there 15 minutes in a period?" said with 16:00 minutes left in the 1st period.

The first period was a dumpster fire for the Ads. Taylor probably went out and set that car from Iowa on fire to distract the fans.

The worst was the second goal. A high arcing blooper through the neutral zone that the Pens player beat 2 Admirals for a breakaway. Troy stops him and the puck is in front of him with Carrier on one side and another Admiral player on the other. A second Pens player comes by and chips it in. How does that happen when the puck is surrounded on three sides by Milwaukee players? Nobody went for that puck that all three could have batted with their respective sticks.

My favorite Pens fan was sitting next to the south goal judge. He pounded on the glass during the entire game! After the first Pens goal, he stood up and I thought he was going to take his shirt off. I could see his navel and the bottom of his rib cage. When the Ads scored their second goal in period three, he was pounding on the glass again. I don't know if he was too drunk to know who scored or just confused. Around this part of the game, I saw a few fans stand up and point at him in an effort to attract security and have this guy removed. Nobody showed up. (The goal judge was sitting way to the right and leaning away from this guy) He was really obnoxious in period three. He also left right after the horn to avoid getting beaten up by the fans that were sitting near him.

I went out to the Coop during a scraping break in period two to get some season fries. These three people in front of me took forever to order. One of the people working there told me that there were a lot of drunk fans at a game. Apparently, one of the women in this group tried to order 4 beers for herself. They told her that she could only have 2 beers. She again said that she wanted 4 beers. (One of the other people could have said that the other two beers were for them, but they didn't) I told the person that I had been in the Usingers line during the first intermission. Two guys in front of me were drinking out of 16 ounce beer cans. The only thing that they ordered were more beers. I have never seen that before at an Admirals game.

I was walking around before the concert started. Several of the food stands had closed down. The ones that were open were still selling beers as was the lady on the east concourse at a separate beer cooler. IIRC, in the Bradley Center days, beers weren't sold after the third period began. I don't remember seeing people selling beer after the game was over, regardless of concert or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad