Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
As I said in another thread, if Johnny Malkin is this year's "goat," then we're in great shape.

Pretty sure that's Wilson.

I don't see where Gagne would fit in a healthy lineup. It's pretty clear that Roy wants Talbot to be the defensively responsible member of the 3rd line. I wouldn't mind using him as a 13th forward. If he was willing to play on a low cost 1 year deal, it wouldn't bother me.

Well the good thing is if we do get Gagne the line up will never be healthy. Love him as a player but he's done.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I'm pretty much 100% with you. I'm open to see what's available for our first but I like how this roster has been built plus getting one elite prospect in the system would be nice. Playoff experience would be huge for this team and they should try for it this season but I think they can do it without getting rid of that first.

Yeah I also agree, I want them to draft a big power forward type guy in the first round, something our system severely lacks.

I mean, he doesn't have to be the prototypical PF either, like Iginla, just someone that has good size (6'2-6'5) decent hands, and uses their body effectively like Dallas' Chiasson.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Gagne has had a lot of injuries and it's hurt his skating. He was Flyers version of Hejduk. Sometimes you just have to move on.

Then again, I would have said the same of Sarich this summer and he's holding up decently.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
What the hell is CORSI :laugh:
I've seen it way too many times and avoided asking what it meant but I now need to know.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Yeah I also agree, I want them to draft a big power forward type guy in the first round, something our system severely lacks.

I mean, he doesn't have to be the prototypical PF either, like Iginla, just someone that has good size (6'2-6'5) decent hands, and uses their body effectively
like Dallas' Chiasson.

I agree, we need to focus on power forwards and D men.
BPA is important no doubt, but I would like to see us begin to get bigger and more skilled instead of still drafting nothing but smallish guys with high skill. That can't be the BPA every single draft.

While others may not agree i'm happy with the team as is for this year. We won't win the cup. I don't want to trade our 1st. With the way Hishon's career is going, and no other forwards showing much, it wouldn't hurt to take our chances on possibly drafting a surprise high end talent in the 1st round.

We also have D coming up in the system, no reason to rush out and trade unless we can move someone like Wilson and Elliot.

I'm perfectly fine with being patient and a bit and seeing what Barrie, Bigras, and Siemens can bring. While some may disagree with this, Holden has looked decent his few games. He's still relatively young and could be someone still growing into the game. Listening to him talk he seems eager to learn and incredibly open to doing whatever it takes. Wouldn't be the first time a D-man didn't work out in the minors for another team then got a chance elsewhere and did alright and developed.

Boychuk in Boston.

I don't know, at this rate you need a hot goalie and a solid D to ride. It's possible we could win it. Not likely, but possible.
Still agree about not trading the first. What if two Bigras' types fall in the next draft? You want to be in a position to net 2 first round talents.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I've seen it way too many times and avoided asking what it meant but I now need to know.

Corsi is all shot attempts by a player/team (shots on goals, missed shots, blocked shots).

Fenwick is corsi minus blocked shots because, and this is shocking information, blocking shots may be a skill on the part of the defending team and you shouldn't get full credit for a shot that is blocked.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I would like Gagne. He is a good two-way player who can play on the 3rd line and is more suited to be a fill in-guy when injuries happen than Malkin is.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Pretty sure that's Wilson.

No, it's not.

1: He has never, and never will, stayed healthy enough for fans to vault him to goat-boy status.

2: Any fans kvetching about him get reminded in a hurry that the alternative is Hunwick.

Complaint about Wilson haven't come close to the griping I've seen on here and on Twitter about Johnny Malkin. Wilson played relatively well, it was just the odd game here or there (Nashville, where he was basically torched before going down with a back injury) where he was exposed.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Gagne is not good enough defensively to play on our 3rd line and is no longer good enough offensively, or fast enough, to play in the top 6.

No thanks.

^pretty much this , but we never know , maybe playing for Roy could rejuvenate Gagné's career. Gagné wouldnt cost us any players or draft choice to acquire him , so idk , maybe i would take a chance with him on a 4th line , maximum 3rd line.

That said , the main concern about Gagné is his health , the guy is one concussion away from calling it a carreer. I think he's one of those players on the concussion watch , that's why he's a gamble and a risk.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I wouldn't mind Gagne as a 'free' injury replacement that only stepped in when injuries hit, but is scratched otherwise. Anything beyond that, I wouldn't want him.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

I'll add to the point about Corsi is that it is expressed as a percentage. For example saying MacKinnon's Corsi was 83% last night with 24 for and 5 against means that during the time MacKinnon was on the ice last night there were 24 shots directed at the goal (shots, misses and blocked shots) and the Capitals had 5 shots directed at the goal. Meaning when he was on the ice the Avs greatly controlled possession. The team measure is the same as well. The Avs were 57% Corsi last night meaning they controlled possession and had more shots directed at goal than Capitals did.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Gagne is injury prone and that has slowed him down a lot but the stuff about him being a bad defensive player is completely untrue. Just like Tanguay, Gagne is very smart and he's usually in the right position defensively. I didn't think he looked all that bad with the Flyers last season either.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That depends on your expectations for this year. There really aren't a lot of top-4 defenders out there who aren't going to cost us a core player. There are also some kids on the farm who could get a taste of the big leagues.

With Buffalo's desire to stockpile as many 1st rounders they can, I really don't think it would cost the Avs a core player to get Ehrhoff.

The UFA crop isn't very good this summer, and who knows who might be available in trade next year during the season. Plus, if there are some new trade names next year, they'd be hard pressed to get a D as good as Ehrhoff without giving up a solid forward like McGinn. Something I think the Avs can do by packaging a 1st with something for Ehrhoff.

Maybe something like a 1st, Wilson, and Pickard. I'd like to think they could do just a 1st + Wilson, but with the Avs place in the stanings, their first doesn't hold as much value as it did in the summer, and with so many teams apparently in the market for a D and Wilson hurt again, they could easily match that offer for Ehrhoff.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
With Guenin, Sarich, Hunwick and Benoit all being UFAs in July, I can easily see a big change to the D coming.

Guenin will be re-signed, I have little doubt about that.

Sarich will either retire or move on. I don't see them re-upping him another year, as he is almost worn down and it's only a matter of time before he goes down with an injury.

Hunwick is obviously gone, not even the slightest chance he stays on.

Edit: Forgot to mention Bigras and Siemens, but at this point I don't see either one being able to pick up top-4 minutes without being exposed. Let Bigras play some more junior and Siemens beast it up in the AHL some more, there's no need to rush these guys like we did with Elliott and Barrie.

Benoit is the tricky one here. As long as he keeps playing top-4 minutes, his mistakes will start to accumulate and his value will go down. A bottom pairing of Benoit-Guenin next year would be great, as they won't be as exposed. But, if there are better option out there to replace him, I can see them going out and getting that replacement.

Wilson should either be bought out or traded for a low pick like O'Byrne was. As soon as he's healthy again, Roy should ship him right out before he gets injured yet again.

Next year the d-pairings should be something like:

Hejda-EJ
New guy-New guy
Benoit-Guenin

Holden-Barrie/New guy

Barrie could and probably should be traded in a package to get a top-4 d-man.

Edit: forgot to mention Bigras and Siemens, but I don't see either one being able to play top-4 minutes effectively just yet. No need to rush these guys like we did with Barrie and Elliott.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Benoit will be re-signed, not a doubt in my mind. He is only playing 3 seconds less a game than EJ, is playing in all situations, tied for the lead defensemen points, and has yet to take a single penalty. His role is that of a #3 defensemen and he is doing a pretty good job it. He is a bit overmatched at times in that role, but Sarich shouldn't be a #4 either. Adding a good top 4 defender on the right side would make that a really solid middle pairing (maybe Barrie steps up into that role?).

As of now I think we are looking at this group going into next year:

Hejda-EJ
Benoit-_____
_____-Guenin
Holden/Wilson

On the Benoit pairing that spot could be filled with Barrie, but that pairing would likely be eaten alive with physical forwards. So maybe that isn't ideal. Maybe Benoit switches sides and plays with Bigras on the left? The left side with Guenin could be any one of Holden, Wilson, Bigras, or Siemens.

That said, I think there will be a move to solidify the top 4 before the deadline.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Benoit will be re-signed, not a doubt in my mind. He is only playing 3 seconds less a game than EJ, is playing in all situations, tied for the lead defensemen points, and has yet to take a single penalty. His role is that of a #3 defensemen and he is doing a pretty good job it. He is a bit overmatched at times in that role, but Sarich shouldn't be a #4 either. Adding a good top 4 defender on the right side would make that a really solid middle pairing (maybe Barrie steps up into that role?).

As of now I think we are looking at this group going into next year:

Hejda-EJ
Benoit-_____
_____-Guenin
Holden/Wilson

On the Benoit pairing that spot could be filled with Barrie, but that pairing would likely be eaten alive with physical forwards. So maybe that isn't ideal. Maybe Benoit switches sides and plays with Bigras on the left? The left side with Guenin could be any one of Holden, Wilson, Bigras, or Siemens.

That said, I think there will be a move to solidify the top 4 before the deadline.

I think Holden locks down that #5/6 Role. I have more faith in him than Guenin for some reason.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I think Holden locks down that #5/6 Role. I have more faith in him than Guenin for some reason.

Holden is going to make A LOT of mistakes when he's not playing well. His game just asks for it to happen; breaking out of the zone early, the pinching, chasing around the net, trying the 40 foot pass... these are all things that will result in a poor hockey player when they're not being executed to perfection. He's played well, but he plays very risky. Guenin does not and is an absolute animal on the PK. Guenin's deficiencies are hidden by him playing to his strengths. That results in a serviceable player even when they're not playing well.

Neither guy is going to make or break out D-core, but I definitely have more faith in Guenin. He simply plays a much more mature, intelligent game.

Avsfan 3319

Dec 2, 2008
It wouldn't surprise me if they keep Sarich around after this year if he keeps up his current level of play. There will most likely be other "proven winners" in next years UFA crop but any worthwhile ones will most likely be re-signed beforehand. The way Holden talked of him in his interview coupled with Roys comments of him all season long would suggest to me he's a valued guy in the locker room. I would rather have a bottom pairing guy that's maybe not quite as sound as another option if he is a glue type guy in the dressing room, and this pertains to Giggy too if it were me. This is all assuming their play doesn't take a big nosedive.

stickguy

Jan 20, 2013
; breaking out of the zone early, the pinching, chasing around the net, trying the 40 foot pass... these are all things that will result in a poor hockey player when they're not being executed to perfection.

the same could be said for any defenseman that tries to create offence or any play that isn't executed properly!! In my opinion Guenin has been the Dman that runs around the most in his own end...it happened when he was partnered with Barrie, Wilson and Holden.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I could see Roy using Barrie as tradebait.

I could also see Roy keeping Bigras around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce