Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Kulikov wouldn't really improve this team. His development has stalled for a few years now. Campbell, on the other hand, would. It would be interesting to see what it would cost to get him because a lot of teams just can't take his contract.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
This I just don't understand. Yes we do, they're just already in the NHL because they're that elite. Landeskog, Duchene, O'Reilly, MacKinnon, McGinn, that's most of a top 5 out of guys just 23 and younger, we don't need any elite forward prospects right now, especially when you then add in our vets, Stastny, Tanguay, Parenteau and Talbot.

As for trading our first, I'm assuming they're more open to moving Campbell for a good offer than they are looking to trade him. Thus it'll take something around our first plus secondary pieces/futures to entice either Florida or Buffalo into giving up their veteran, defensively reliable, PP QBs.

You need to be able to replace your guys from within when they price themselves out or go down with injury. Look at the prospect depth of the Blues, Sens, Wild recently. Chicago keeps finding cheap young NHLers in the draft. We need to have the same in the pipeline going forward. If we have to move the 1st to improve the team so be it, but I question whether it should be done for a guy that's in his mid 30s.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I have no problem with Malone, Sgarbossa, Heard and whoever we add with our other picks this year and in the coming years being called up on the third line. We have MacK and McG sitting on our third line if we really need someone for the top 6, but frankly, a guy like Malone could fit in just fine next to Staz and Landy or Tanguay if he settles in well.

We have enough elite talent, even if we have an injury or two to our top 8 forwards, especially if we had a puckmover like Soupy in the lineup, extra especially if having him in the lineup allows us to reunite the Hejda-Barrie pairing that did so well for us last season. We've been this good with one pairing that's legit good with the puck, one pairing that's ok and one pairing that's pretty mediocre. Make that one really excellent pairing, Soupy-EJ, one legit pairing and a pairing that's ok, and our offensive production would increase more than having a better injury callup up front.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I'm not sure how it will settle, but I think:
EJ and Hejda are locks to return
Guenin will be resigned unless his performance really drops over the long season
Holden may get resigned if he shows improvement this season
Benoit may test FA, especially if he maintains this level of play, but the team will try to sign him before hand
Bigras will make the team next season
Barrie/Elliott one will be traded and the other may end up making the team or being the first RHD call up from LEM
Siemans could make the team outright or be the first LHD call up from LEM
Wilson will need a strong return from this injury and will need to log a lot of games to remain with the Avs but will likely be traded.

Sarich and Hunwick will more than likely be let go to FA

Unless an NHL experienced player with either the potential ceiling like Kulikov (who is only 23 after all) or a proven vet like Ehrhoff or Edler can be had at a fair price, I see very few options for Sakic and Roy to go after rather than continue working with the young guys and less proven guys like Benoit, Guenin and Holden this year.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm not sure how it will settle, but I think:
EJ and Hejda are locks to return
Guenin will be resigned unless his performance really drops over the long season
Holden may get resigned if he shows improvement this season
Benoit may test FA, especially if he maintains this level of play, but the team will try to sign him before hand
Bigras will make the team next season
Barrie/Elliott one will be traded and the other may end up making the team or being the first RHD call up from LEM
Siemans could make the team outright or be the first LHD call up from LEM
Wilson will need a strong return from this injury and will need to log a lot of games to remain with the Avs but will likely be traded.

Sarich and Hunwick will more than likely be let go to FA

Unless an NHL experienced player with either the potential ceiling like Kulikov (who is only 23 after all) or a proven vet like Ehrhoff or Edler can be had at a fair price, I see very few options for Sakic and Roy to go after rather than continue working with the young guys and less proven guys like Benoit, Guenin and Holden this year.

Holden got a two year deal at $600k per, so he's under contract next year.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You need to be able to replace your guys from within when they price themselves out or go down with injury. Look at the prospect depth of the Blues, Sens, Wild recently. Chicago keeps finding cheap young NHLers in the draft. We need to have the same in the pipeline going forward. If we have to move the 1st to improve the team so be it, but I question whether it should be done for a guy that's in his mid 30s.

But lets look at the time line on that, Landy and Dutchy are already locked in on friendly terms, Staz and ROR will get long term deals within the next year if they're sticking around, MacKinnon still has 2.8 years left on his contract, Parenteau still has 2.8 years left on his contract, tanguay still has 2.8 years left on his contract, I think. That leaves just McGinn as the mystery man. He could price himself out of Colorado, but even he is still an RFA who we'll control for at least another 1.8 years. In that time we'll still have our picks next year beyond the first, and we'll have all of our picks the year after that, when we'll be coming into the final years of some of those contracts.

That gives us plenty of time, and in that time our forward prospects could deliver, or our Dman could develop so well that we can move one of them for a cheap young forward to replace who ever prices themselves out of here, or we could look into FA for the type of shrewd bargains this franchise has been finding since Greg from Accounting became the official GM.

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
A mid to late first round pick isn't going to provide nearly the impact that getting to really compete for realsies starting now, would for our kids.

Conversely, a solid first round pick would provide much needed cheap depth two to three years from now when the core starts getting expensive.

The Avs are not quite there yet in the same vein as St. Louis, Chicago, or San Jose. I would be pretty livid if we just gave up the first rounder on a rental or vet.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm not against improving the team right now or making a deal but I just question using our first to do it. Bringing in say Campbell does not guarantee playoffs nor does staying with what we have guarantee that we will miss the playoffs. Not having a first in those years have hurt us (I'm not trying to say the Varly trade wasn't worth it but more that not having first rounders eventually hurts the pipeline).

Sure what we have at Lake Erie might be ok but they are not any more of a sure thing than the defense we are icing right now. Heard alternates with Meurs as a scratch, Sgarbossa is injured. Colin Smith is my favorite forward prospect but many aren't sold on him ever making the NHL. I know we are talking a couple things here, hypothetical a few years down the road when that 2014 first is part of the picture and things could be a lot different by then but I'm also talking right now that there isn't much help in Lake Erie available and that's kinda scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad