Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Wait, I feel like you are ignoring Klesla's injury history. Please take a look at his games played vs. Mez. Here is both of there hocckeydb's:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=78465

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=50111

Klesla has the much worse injury history. Like much much worse. I feel like you haven't looked at his injury history.

I feel like the same wording has been used a few times in this discussion. I'm not ignoring Klesla's injury history. I was one of/if not the first to bring it up and compare it to Wilson.

Meszaros's has much more significant injuries. He had shoulder surgury in 09. Then had back surgery in 2012. Then tore his achilles last off season. Then injured his shoulder at the beginning of the year and missed a few months. Came back and immediately re-injured the shoulder.

Klesla has an annoying rate of getting regular injuries. His biggest one being a groin injury that kept him out most of the season three years ago. Other than that he's had lesser shoulder, or ankle, or hand injuries that keep him out 10 games maybe but don't require multiple major surguries.

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Cleary @2.75?

Maybe now would be a good time to get Mez+Read. I like Read at 2/3RW and he has PK ability but is due a raise next year. I like him going forward more than McGinn except for the size McGinn brings.

No room for him right now though looking at the Roster, unless McGinn is moved, but would make for some good Downie insurance later.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I let this go earlier, but... A straw man is a misrepresentation of a persons argument to make it easier to attack. Saying a realistic scienario could happen and that is why you prepare for the future to prepare against that scienario is not a strawman. A strawman would be if I said that you wanted to get rid of Sgarbossa, so why not get rid of all top prospects to improve the defense here and now. Then point out the flaws in that thinking. Big difference between the two.

I don't see any strawman arguments in this thread, just debate and obviously different viewpoints.

I will say Klesla has only played 65 games once since 2008. In that span he had seasons of 34 and 26 games. He is more of a lock to miss 40 games than he is 15. While Mez has played two seasons of 81 games in that same span. He has had a year and a half of just crap luck. I think he rebounds, but that is only a feeling on my part (and looking that only the shoulder was a somewhat recurring injury).

It is just a debate among different viewpoints, that's how I see it. We disagree.

You suggested by trading Sgarbossa and letting go of Stastny somehow they would be left with one of two options, including two different types of lineups. You didn't account for a possible return on Stastny, the possible re-signing of Downie and Klesla, and you included the idea that they had to sign an over paid UFA.

You created a fallacy scenario in which I had to say which lineup you listed was better, and that trading Sgarbossa (i.e. my argument) resulted in having to pick from one of two options, that included a roster with no replacements, or signing an over paid UFA. These are not their only options, and it is a fallacy to suggest any UFA they sign will be over paid.

It's not that big a deal, I don't think you intentionally misrepresented the situation, that's just how you decided to phrase that particular post.

What I feel should be pointed out though is that you're not concerned about the effect of losing Sgarbossa for a defenseman like Kulikov. They would fall into the same situation you're afraid of with their forwards in that scenario.

If it's an issue of you don't think Klesla is a trade they should make, that's just your opinion. But the main point I'm arguing is the idea that losing Sgarbossa, or using him in a trade for a D that may only be here one year will be that risky in terms of their forward depth.

The reason why I'm making that argument is because that's what makes the trade make sense in my eyes. Klesla's not a perfect option, and he's a risk to stay longer than a year. But they can afford to take that risk, and they NEED a defenseman to play a role he's capable of.

Last edited:

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Cleary @2.75?

Maybe now would be a good time to get Mez+Read. I like Read at 2/3RW and he has PK ability but is due a raise next year. I like him going forward more than McGinn except for the size McGinn brings.

No room for him right now though looking at the Roster, unless McGinn is moved, but would make for some good Downie insurance later.

Can't see them giving up Read when they need cheap contracts. But Mez should be an easy fetch right now.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Can't see them giving up Read when they need cheap contracts. But Mez should be an easy fetch right now.

I wouldn't be too surprised if they move Read at the deadline for a pick or goalie prospect, they don't have a chance to resign him. I doubt they want another young player back either with the likes of Laughton + co. waiting in the wings.

I'd offer a 4th for Mez now and Pickard/Aito + 2nd for Read at the deadline (if Philly is out of contention), he's a quite big upgrade from McGinn and can start taking Tanguays spot in a year or so.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Not to sure who this guy is but...

Jeff Blanco ‏@blanco_fox 47m
Rumours going on about #Avs looking for a trade with Flyers. Colorado still looking towards improving blueline. Let's hope this is true!

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm surprised this argument is still ongoing. I wouldn't think any Colorado fans would want to trade our best offensive prospect for a 2nd pairing guy when we already have 3 of them. It doesn't matter if we have enough young players already on the team. You still need prospects. Though he may be a slight improvement over some guys we already have. He isn't a 1st pairing D which is what we need. The reason our D has been so bad is because we keep putting guys ahead of themselves. 3rd pairing D playing on the 2nd pairing. 2nd on the 1st. Even 7th D playing on the first. We need to improve our D with the right players and if Sgarbossa will add value to a trade to return what we need i'll be all for it, but i'm not throwing him away for a fill in.
If we give away all our prospects for guys who aren't even going to be around when we're ready to make a run, how will we get better then?

Foppa, you keep saying we can fill the holes lost through players walking in ufa by making trades, but who are we going to trade? It wont be Sgarbossa, it wont be klesla. We will still have guys like pickard and hishon but why waste our best on a guy like klesla.

Even if he was good enough to make a difference in us finishing 10th and 7th/8th (which he's not) it really wouldn't be worth it for the team. We're not ready to make that step yet.

I'm as excited as anybody for this team to get better and make the next step, but until we're actually ready I wouldn't be dumb enough to throw away key future pieces for slight upgrades that will be gone by the time we're ready to move up in the league and we will be left without both.

As you all know, I don't argue much on here. I'm not a bold person but i've been continuing this conversation simply because it's frustrating to see fans want to make decisions that will hurt our team in times when we're actually going to be contenders. I guess it shouldn't be that big a deal since obviously management wouldn't be dumb enough to make a decision like this but I guess it's scary to see that some people would.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
So in case of Mez or any other D trade, they would probably prefer not to take any players back. Unless it's package deal.

Well, Laughton and Stolarz probably are sent down so that puts them at 48 with Cleary.

Cleary has value... but not that much imo.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
You suggested by trading Sgarbossa and letting go of Stastny somehow they would be left with one of two options, including two different types of lineups. You didn't account for a possible return on Stastny, the possible re-signing of Downie and Klesla, and you included the idea that they had to sign an over paid UFA.

You created a fallacy scenario in which I had to say which lineup you listed was better, and that trading Sgarbossa (i.e. my argument) resulted in having to pick from one of two options, that included a roster with no replacements, or signing an over paid UFA. These are not their only options, and it is a fallacy to suggest any UFA they sign will be over paid.

Did you read the first line of that post? "What happens if both leave AND we trade away Sgarbossa?" As in a question of what you think should happen in that scenario of Downie and Stastny not re-signing with the team. My explaination was setting up the possibility, which has some high probability that we don't re-sign Stastny and Downie. Stastny might look for a guaranteed top 6 center role and Downie might want too much money for his role. Both are fairly likely to happen. So, if we are going to trade away depth you have to be sure that you can survive without those players coming back or have a very good idea that you will re-sign those players.

I would say the odds of not overpaying for a UFA are pretty low. How many bargain UFA contracts are out there... PAP, Hossa (manipulated contract)... that is about it. While 2nd/3rd liners like Clarkson and Clowe signed for 5.25 and 4.85 per in this year's free agency period.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So in case of Mez or any other D trade, they would probably prefer not to take any players back. Unless it's package deal.

Well, Laughton and Stolarz probably are sent down so that puts them at 48 with Cleary.

Cleary has value... but not that much imo.

Laughton and Stolarz would still count on the contract limit. They will look for a pick from whoever wants Mez.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Did they change that in the new CBA?

Not that I know of, but I am wrong here. I thought Laughton and Stolarz contracts couldn't slide, but checking CapGeek they can. As long as the contract can slide it doesn't count on the 50 contract limit until the player has played more than 11 games. Then it counts from that moment forward.

You are right.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance 1 min
Tim Thomas closing in on a decision. Possibly today. Discussions continue with multiple teams.

Guesses?

Florida could maybe be one, seems like Clemmensen is out to start the season.

Isles is also possibility imo.

Never count Holmgren out either.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
If Thomas plays again I'd say he goes to a team that has a chance at winning a Cup, maybe the Flyers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad