Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Think the AVs best course of action with ROR is to do nothing until next summer and then disguise a long term extension as an offer sheet from Calgary.

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
I don't where else to write this but Leafs give Nonis a five year extension after six months as GM? The heck?

BusterBluth

Jan 2, 2012
I just hope that Sakic, Roy and Co. have had conversations with ROR and Staz just to feel out whether they're interested in re-signing. I would just hate to lose Staz for nothing.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
Dater chat (take it for what its worth) revealed several tidbits:

1. In response to question about O'Reilly situation: "Avs were very mad at O'Reilly for doing what he did. He definitely could be traded at the deadline, and the Avs just go with Duchene-MacKinnon top two"... In response to another similar question: "They were upset with him over what he did. It's been an uneasy truce since, but when that one-year waiting period lapses, they may send him packing"

2. In response to a question asking the chances that Stastny doesn't resign with the Avs: "100 percent"

3. On Duchene's relationship with O'Reilly: "Kind of like acquaintances now, not bros"

4. "I think Mac may get another number than 22. Stay tuned"

Take it for what it's worth. Really, just a rehashing of something most of us understand. Namely, Stastny probably doesn't stick with us simply because of the logjam at the position. Not completely clear what O'Reilly's relationship is with current management, but I'm sure there are still some lingering effects felt (Sakic, FWIW, might be more understanding than most, but probably doesn't respect the holding out part). O'Reilly also will get us a better return in a trade.

Personally, I think Stastny is not on the team past the deadline and certainly not on the team one year from now. I'm pretty much 100% certain. I'd say 75% chance O'Reilly is gone too, but he could last longer simply because the Avs might wait to get the right deal for him.

Reasons O'Reilly might stay:

Can't get enough value in trade proposals
Switch to wing works and he's willing to stick with it long-term
He's willing to sign a below market value contract to play 3C

Reasons O'Reilly goes:

Only asset we have that, when combined with other assets, could get us 1D; at very least, will get 2D
His market value pushes him out of reasonable price range for a 3C

On MacKinnon, I still have a strong personal preference for him taking #10, regardless of his personal attachment to #22. But, it does sound like Hunwick might be less willing to give up #22 than I previously thought.

Last edited:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Staz will not be moved, I'm certain and if Dater says he will be then he'll retire an Av. ROR I could see somewhat, but Sakic isn't a vindictive man (he signed his own offersheet for christ's sake) and Roy just joined the team... so I'll take that with a heavy grain of salt too. He just wants fuel for the fire come deadline.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
Staz will not be moved, I'm certain and if Dater says he will be then he'll retire an Av.

Aside from the very reasonable shot at Dater, I cannot think of one reason Stastny sticks with this franchise besides a strong personal attachment to it and the city of Denver. From a pure hockey business perspective, it makes no sense for him to stick around.

As for the O'Reilly situation, I think the motivation to trade him will have little to do with last year's contract situation. But, the reasons for trading him go well beyond that.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

1. In response to question about O'Reilly situation: "Avs were very mad at O'Reilly for doing what he did. He definitely could be traded at the deadline, and the Avs just go with Duchene-MacKinnon top two"... In response to another similar question: "They were upset with him over what he did. It's been an uneasy truce since, but when that one-year waiting period lapses, they may send him packing"

2. In response to a question asking the chances that Stastny doesn't resign with the Avs: "100 percent"

3. On Duchene's relationship with O'Reilly: "Kind of like acquaintances now, not bros"

Take it for what it's worth. Really, just a rehashing of something most of us understand. Namely, Stastny probably doesn't stick with us simply because of the logjam at the position. Not completely clear what O'Reilly's relationship is with current management, but I'm sure there are still some lingering effects felt (Sakic, FWIW, might be more understanding than most, but probably doesn't respect the holding out part). O'Reilly also will get us a better return in a trade.

Personally, I think Stastny is not on the team past the deadline and certainly not on the team one year from now. I'm pretty much 100% certain. I'd say 75% chance O'Reilly is gone too, but he could last longer simply because the Avs might wait to get the right deal for him.

Reasons O'Reilly goes:

Only asset we have that, when combined with other assets, could get us 1D; at very least, will get 2D

On MacKinnon, I still have a strong personal preference for him taking #10, regardless of his personal attachment to #22. But, it does sound like Hunwick might be less willing to give up #22 than I previously thought.

So, judging from the Dater comments, O'Reilly will re-sign a sweet heart deal and Stastny will be back 100%, both of these announcements will be made by everyone else in the league...then Dater will confirm a good 3-4 hours later as he was "on a plane" or "stuck in an elevator".

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
I'm of the opinion that neither RoR & Stastny will be on this team past the deadline and I'm guessing that:
- RoR will be traded in a package for a #2 Dman
- Stastny will be traded for a 3rd line center and winger prospect with top 6 potential

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
To pass the time in the off season, I've decided to punish myself and watch games from the past season. Right now I'm on the screwy Feb 18th game against Nashville. Here's the box score for that game:

3 R. O'BYRNE D 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 1 0 0 - 23:20
4 G. ZANON D 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 5 0 0 - 19:52
7 J. MITCHELL C 0 0 0 -1 2 0 0 2 0 1 50% 14:04
8 J. HEJDA D 0 1 1 1 2 2 4 4 1 1 - 21:03
9 M. DUCHENE C 1 2 3 2 0 2 6 1 0 2 63% 22:12
11 J. MCGINN L 1 0 1 0 0 8 2 2 0 0 - 20:00
12 C. KOBASEW R 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 - 9:07
15 P. PARENTEAU R 0 2 2 2 0 2 1 0 0 0 0% 17:28
17 A. PALUSHAJ R 1 2 3 1 0 2 2 2 0 0 - 14:49
22 M. HUNWICK D 0 0 0 0 4 1 0 3 2 0 - 17:40
23 M. HEJDUK R 0 0 0 -1 0 1 0 0 0 0 - 16:31
26 P. STASTNY C 1 1 2 0 0 4 0 1 1 1 55% 20:01
40 M. OLVER C 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 50% 5:15
41 T. BARRIE D 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 - 22:18
46 S. ELLIOTT D 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 1 0 - 12:55
54 D. JONES R 0 2 2 -1 0 2 0 0 0 1 50% 18:20
55 C. MCLEOD L 0 0 0 0 0 2 2 1 0 1 100% 12:25
58 P. BORDELEAU L 0 0 0 0 2 0 1 0 0 0 - 2:52

No wonder we were terrible. That line up is awful. Our lineup this year is already miles ahead (if we can stay healthy).

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
To pass the time in the off season, I've decided to punish myself and watch games from the past season. Right now I'm on the screwy Feb 18th game against Nashville. Here's the box score for that game:

3 R. O'BYRNE D 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 1 0 0 - 23:20
4 G. ZANON D 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 5 0 0 - 19:52
7 J. MITCHELL C 0 0 0 -1 2 0 0 2 0 1 50% 14:04
8 J. HEJDA D 0 1 1 1 2 2 4 4 1 1 - 21:03
9 M. DUCHENE C 1 2 3 2 0 2 6 1 0 2 63% 22:12
11 J. MCGINN L 1 0 1 0 0 8 2 2 0 0 - 20:00
12 C. KOBASEW R 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 - 9:07
15 P. PARENTEAU R 0 2 2 2 0 2 1 0 0 0 0% 17:28
17 A. PALUSHAJ R 1 2 3 1 0 2 2 2 0 0 - 14:49
22 M. HUNWICK D 0 0 0 0 4 1 0 3 2 0 - 17:40
23 M. HEJDUK R 0 0 0 -1 0 1 0 0 0 0 - 16:31
26 P. STASTNY C 1 1 2 0 0 4 0 1 1 1 55% 20:01
40 M. OLVER C 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 50% 5:15
41 T. BARRIE D 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 - 22:18
46 S. ELLIOTT D 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 1 0 - 12:55
54 D. JONES R 0 2 2 -1 0 2 0 0 0 1 50% 18:20
55 C. MCLEOD L 0 0 0 0 0 2 2 1 0 1 100% 12:25
58 P. BORDELEAU L 0 0 0 0 2 0 1 0 0 0 - 2:52

No wonder we were terrible. That line up is awful. Our lineup this year is already miles ahead (if we can stay healthy).

It is hilarious that our leader in TOI was later traded for a 4th round pick.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007

Reasons O'Reilly goes:

Who cares. We put him on waivers. Pick a new number you vagabond.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I just hope that Sakic, Roy and Co. have had conversations with ROR and Staz just to feel out whether they're interested in re-signing. I would just hate to lose Staz for nothing.
This is what I hope as well, for the Avs to have clarity in the direction to take with both of these players. While Dater may know next to nothing in the situation I find the answer as something to consider in the direction these things are leaning. The ROR answer seems to be more rooted in the past, who knows what the feelings are now. With Stastny I can't imagine he is *more* inclined to take a cheap deal/lesser role after watching one center get drafted first overall and the other getting a 5 year extension within in the last month. It is always about what do the Avs want to do with him and no consideration to his own freedom of choice in the situation.

On MacKinnon, I still have a strong personal preference for him taking #10
Why #10 for MacKinnon?
....nevermind. Mack 10. I get it now.
Right now I'm on the screwy Feb 18th game against Nashville
I was at that game, it was actually one of the better ones from what I recall. :laugh:

Last edited:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Just so I got this straight, you guys believe that Avs management will be just fine trading away BOTH RoR AND Stastny and going with 22 year old Duchene and (currently) 17 year old MacKinnon as their 1-2 punch?

A bit of a gamble don't you think? Especially if Duchene should get injured.

What's more likely is the Avs will keep one or the other and perhaps they are trying to re-sign both right now but one thing is for sure, if Stastny is set to walk, I can't imagine the Avs NOT getting anything for him and if that's going to happen, I believe they'll keep RoR around for another couple of years.

And guys, PLEASE as has been proven countless times, over and over and over again, Adrian Dater has absolutely ZERO inside sources* to what the Avalanche are planning to do. He has an opinion, one that is more wrong than right and I'm pretty sure that the Avs see him for what he is, a bit of a buffoon who makes a living (somehow) writing about hockey but just doesn't really have the passion or the in-depth knowledge or the professionalism to be taken seriously.

(* how about those "I think the Roy as head coach ship has sailed..." comments? :laugh: great insight)

Have you guys ever even tried to listen to one of those horrendous podcasts he puts out there? They are basically unlistenable. He surrounds himself with a bunch of posers who don't seem to know much about the game ("uh, what's that guy's name from Montreal -- Galch-innuk?" :shakehead) and they are always held in some club or restaurant with waitresses interupting on tape, I guess because the audio just isn't lousy enough. It's unprofessional and it's pathetic.

This might be deemed 'too mean' but in my opinion, it had to be said and it's well deserved. I'm not saying anything that isn't true. There isn't one other credible NHL media person that does this sort of ridiculous sideshow and gets away with it. There is a reason why certain NHL/Sports Media outlets call on Peter McNab and Marc Moser to get a feel for what is going on with the Avs and it has everything to do with what I just outlined above.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Just so I got this straight, you guys believe that Avs management will be just fine trading away BOTH RoR AND Stastny and going with 22 year old Duchene and (currently) 17 year old MacKinnon as their 1-2 punch?

A bit of a gamble don't you think? Especially if Duchene should get injured.

What's more likely is the Avs will keep one or the other and perhaps they are trying to re-sign both right now but one thing is for sure, if Stastny is set to walk, I can't imagine the Avs NOT getting anything for him and if that's going to happen, I believe they'll keep RoR around for another couple of years.

And guys, PLEASE as has been proven countless times, over and over and over again, Adrian Dater has absolutely ZERO inside sources* to what the Avalanche are planning to do. He has an opinion, one that is more wrong than right and I'm pretty sure that the Avs see him for what he is, a bit of a buffoon who makes a living (somehow) writing about hockey but just doesn't really have the passion or the in-depth knowledge or the professionalism to be taken seriously.

(* how about those "I think the Roy as head coach ship has sailed..." comments? :laugh: great insight)

Have you guys ever even tried to listen to one of those horrendous podcasts he puts out there? They are basically unlistenable. He surrounds himself with a bunch of posers who don't seem to know much about the game ("uh, what's that guy's name from Montreal -- Galch-innuk?" :shakehead) and they are always held in some club or restaurant with waitresses interupting on tape, I guess because the audio just isn't lousy enough. It's unprofessional and it's pathetic.

This might be deemed 'too mean' but in my opinion, it had to be said and it's well deserved. I'm not saying anything that isn't true. There isn't one other credible NHL media person that does this sort of ridiculous sideshow and gets away with it. There is a reason why certain NHL/Sports Media outlets call on Peter McNab and Marc Moser to get a feel for what is going on with the Avs and it has everything to do with what I just outlined above.

If we lose both Stastny and O'Reilly, it will be devastating. Who plays 3C? Hishon Sgarbossa, or Mitchell?

If that happens, we better get some great assets coming back. A package around O'Reilly would need to bring us a 2/3D. Stastny won't bring much, but if we aren't going to sign him, we better ship him to a contender at the deadline for a 1st and a prospect.

Huis Clos*

If we lose both Stastny and O'Reilly, it will be devastating.

IF, if MacKinnon proves to be the real deal I'd be fine with the Avs moving both O'Reilly and Stastny. As long as the return was appropriate, of course.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Dater has already shopped Stastny for a couple of years. Wild stabs in the dark.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It is more likely that both Stastny and ROR are gone than both stay. This isn't based on anything Dater said but rather logic in the situation. There is virtually zero chance the Avs will have the best UFA offer to Stastny. The Avs can keep ROR but they better be ready to spend some coin to resign him, he is not going to take a cheap deal either.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think we should pursue Franson. Certainly not a fix for our #1, but I'd say he'd be the #3 on our team immediately.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!! Rumors are that he wants $4m+, way too much for a pure offensive defensemen that is a #4 at best and a bottom pairing guy on a good team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad