Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
We won't know if Staz wants to go to UFA until we talk to him about extending. If he doesn't want to stick around the most we'll get is the standard rental deal of first plus prospect at the deadline and that's the most we'll get. Either way it's best to sit on him til the deadline while you try to extend him now that he gets to play with quality wingers again, and if he just won't sign move him at the deadline when a lot more teams will be able to fit him in and will be interested in him again, as I expect his production to bounce comfortably over 60 points this year. Then we'll know where teams' firsts will be and we may get a better prospect in return for him.

Yeah, I agree. I'd rather have the real NHL player though.

I'm starting to have a feeling that the Avs will resign one of Stastny/O'R - whichever one results in the easier/better contract - and they're going to trade the other one.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I agree completely on all three points. Stastny's contract may likely push the Avs to the third point though.

Especially if we wait until the trade deadline to trade him.

If we trade over the summer, we'd likely get an NHLer...but his value will be at its lowest. Waiting until the deadline will (hopefully) give him a chance to raise his value.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Teams with below average center depth have to overpay their, by necessity, top two centers. We've seen it with Bozak, Ribeiro, Grabovski, Zajac, Gagner and now Little. We could add Stastny to that group if we want to go back a little in time.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Can pretty much kiss goodbye any chance of O'Reilly signing for anything below 5 million.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
Can pretty much kiss goodbye any chance of O'Reilly signing for anything below 5 million.

On a long term deal that eats up a number of UFA years, why exactly would we expect anything different?

If I was O'Reilly, I'd have found the rumored 5 year $17M deal offered last offseason pretty insulting too.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Teams with below average center depth have to overpay their, by necessity, top two centers. We've seen it with Bozak, Ribeiro, Grabovski, Zajac, Gagner and now Little. We could add Stastny to that group if we want to go back a little in time.

Stastny is younger/better than most of UFAs. He will probably get 6,5 mil to 7 mil per season on open market. Crazy.

Stastny is as good as gone. Trade him while we still can.. I don't want to lose him for nothing.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Agreed.

Little gets $4.7M/yr and Gagner gets $4.8M/yr. Both have been more consistent than O'Reilly but his best offensive season is still better than their best. Lets not even start to compare their defense to O'Reilly's.

Neither O'Reilly nor Stastny is going to accept anything less than $5M/yr on a long-term contract.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
O'Reilly, 6x5.25 would be a solid deal atm.
Stastny, 4x5.5-6 would work for me.

Assuming both are retained, those are salaries I'm ok with.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Stastny is younger/better than most of UFAs. He will probably get 6,5 mil to 7 mil per season on open market. Crazy.

Stastny is as good as gone. Trade him while we still can.. I don't want to lose him for nothing.

Exactly. And he obviously sees Mr. 5 year extension and Mr. First overall as the top two centers for the future on this team.

I thought ROR was as good as gone too but I've come around to the thought that they may open the wallet and pay him probably close to something like 5.5 especially if he works out on wing. If they get a great trade offer in return though he probably goes too.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

Yup. Even if he likes it here he knows he can get alot more on the open market. Maybe he'll pull a Bryan Trottier when the Avs are serious contenders and help them win before he retires.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Staz has already made a lot of money, if the avs go up to 5.5 per for him he could be interested in staying with the team that drafted him. Especially if we also wrap up radar so that our top 9 stays stacked enough for everybody to produce.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
With Stastny I don't think it is about the money so much as it is about the role. The Avs could make him a competitive offer to stay especially if the cap goes up then maybe that is not so much an issue. I just don't know why he chooses to be at best 3C on a team when he could be 1C or 2C on another AND make more money in the process. Hey, I hope I'm wrong but I just feel like UFA is never a good situation to get into with a player especially when their buffet of options suddenly expands and the Avs don't have the bargaining chip of big market or cup contender.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
With Stastny I don't think it is about the money so much as it is about the role. The Avs could make him a competitive offer to stay especially if the cap goes up then maybe that is not so much an issue. I just don't know why he chooses to be at best 3C on a team when he could be 1C or 2C on another AND make more money in the process. Hey, I hope I'm wrong but I just feel like UFA is never a good situation to get into with a player especially when their buffet of options suddenly expands and the Avs don't have the bargaining chip of big market or cup contender.

We have the forward depth for all of our centers to get to produce. And I think Staz is getting to the point where he wants to be on a team that's at least on the brink of contending and doing something special like our forwards could be in a year or two, rather than going someplace like Calgary that could pay him out the ass and let him center their first line while they rebuild. With Landy, Parenteau, Radar, Downie, McGinn and Tanguay/Sgarbossa/Hishon on the wings we finally get to see what it's like giving all of our Cs weapons to do damage with and I could see them all having a lot of fun playing together. Especially if Wilson doesn't get hurt until later in the season when Barrie is ready to step up next to EJ and Elliott is ready to fill Barrie's spot next to Hejda. Then we could even be in the race until the end in year 1 of the Roy/Sakic management era.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him walk for that bigger role for more pay, or maybe even a slightly lesser contract to go be the Blues' top center, but I also wouldn't be shocked at all to see Staz want to stick around after the Sacco years. Especially if Roy keeps rubbing and tugging Staz every time he talks about him in public, and Sakic starts taking him out for beers every now and then to reminisce about the old days and those last years when Paulie came on the scene.

Either way this is something only Paul and the team will know, so if they can't get him to stay well then at that point you move him for what you can get at the deadline.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm positive on the core of this team going forward and maybe Stastny is too, I'm sure it would be a difficult decision. I just think about how well her did at Worlds as the top center and can't imagine he doesn't want that for his career. There are going to be a lot more attractive offers out there. Obviously the Avs are going to have to discuss with him and decide if they need to move him or not, I agree at the deadline makes the most sense.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
O'Reilly, 6x5.25 would be a solid deal atm.
Stastny, 4x5.5-6 would work for me.

Assuming both are retained, those are salaries I'm ok with.

I think they both get 5.25-5.5 AAV

Stastny on a 4-6yr deal with some sort of limited NTC protection, and wouldn't surprise me if that he has that deal signed by camp.

ROR likely gets a shorter deal, and doubt there will be any trade protection, but I could see almost anything happen here. Unless he lights it up as a winger, I don't see the Avs wanting to pay him too much more than Stastny, and for sure not equal or more than Duchene. Even could see a sign and trade happen, 8yr 48M (less than Bergeron) is very feasible for a team looking hard for a 1/2 center. The market for young centers is crazy right now IMO, and ROR at 6m per long term could garner a nice return from many teams, if the Avs choose to not retain him.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
On a long term deal that may eat some UFA, I could see O'Reilly getting anywhere from 5.5 even up to 6M.

I ultimately think that if we were to re-sign him that it will be 5 years 29M, gives him an AAV of 5.8M

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Especially if we wait until the trade deadline to trade him.

If we trade over the summer, we'd likely get an NHLer...but his value will be at its lowest. Waiting until the deadline will (hopefully) give him a chance to raise his value.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

Yes, that's what makes it tough. His value should be at its highest at next year's deadline, but playoff-bound teams will not want to give up roster players.

The other issue is whether Roy will want to give up one of his own roster players if the Avs are in position to make a run at a playoff spot - even if Stastny has not signed an extension. I hope not, because IMO the Avs need to move O'R or Stastny to improve the defense, and the team cannot afford to let a good young UFA go without any return.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
That seems like a bit much for Little, but not a terrible deal by any means. He is a former 30 goal scorer and scored 24 in 11-12.

Gagner's contract is relying on this past season for his numbers. 38 points in 48 games is a 65 point pace with 24g.

Offensively, both are good comparables to ROR which is a good thing for the Avs if this situation goes to arbitration. In arbitration the Avs can say these two players make ~ $1.7m less and put up the same sort of offensive numbers. ROR's camp doesn't have a leg to stand on to demand $6.5m as long as his offensive numbers stay in that range. Anything over 5.5 is overpayment for ROR, and 6 is bordering on a large overpayment.

That said, I think ROR gets his money one way or another.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm positive on the core of this team going forward and maybe Stastny is too, I'm sure it would be a difficult decision. I just think about how well her did at Worlds as the top center and can't imagine he doesn't want that for his career. There are going to be a lot more attractive offers out there. Obviously the Avs are going to have to discuss with him and decide if they need to move him or not, I agree at the deadline makes the most sense.

Oh I wouldn't be shocked if Staz wants to leave, but I think getting to stick around will be pretty tempting for him to. Especially if the team stays pretty healthy and has a much better year, like the year after we got Landy and Varly and fell out of the playoff race in the last week of the season. And if he wants to sty at 5-5.5 per I'd absolutely love to have him, with the same being true for Radar.

I'm ok with wait for the prospects on D, I think Barrie could be a good fit next to EJ at some point in the next year or two, and Elliott will be ready for a second pairing role in that same time frame. If Siemens or Bigras can take over for Hejda, our Defense should be good enough to let Varly and that forward core take care of business.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Cowen still not signed. I think he is almost exactly what the Avs need, and could reasonably get (young, LHD, good size, top pairing potential, already logs 20min, etc). Maybe it will go long enough for the Avs to make a trade offer.

edit: by reasonably, I mean Ottawa is lacking a 1st round pick and also has centers that could shift to wing if a better center was obtained, and there is a trade history between franchises. I know Cowen would not come cheaply though.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Jim Matheson ‏@NHLbyMatty 21m
ryan whitney may be taking one-yr contract to sign somewhere. carolina or isles seems possible fit

I would be all over a 1 year deal with Whitney. If he rebounds and can play top 4 minutes, he can help solve some real issues on defense. If he doesn't, you can walk away easily.

MikeC

Feb 28, 2002
L'Assomption
I see a lot of trade proposal concerning Paul Stastny and I do not want to trade him at this moment. Avs need to wait for the trade limits.

Last year, he was playing with McGinn and Jones. His trade value was so-so because his production was so-so.

How can you look good when you play with Jones?

Last year, the coach was Sacco.

This year, it will be a cpmpletly different story, he will play under Roy

Plus, he will play with Landeskog and Tanguay,those two players are a lot better then the Mcginn and Jones and it will that will help his trade value a lot.

Does it mean that we have to trade him? ...no.

But at least, his trade value might the best in the last 4 years.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I see a lot of trade proposal concerning Paul Stastny and I do not want to trade him at this moment. Avs need to wait for the trade limits.

Last year, he was playing with McGinn and Jones. His trade value was so-so because his production was so-so.

How can you look good when you play with Jones?

Last year, the coach was Sacco.

This year, it will be a cpmpletly different story, he will play under Roy

Plus, he will play with Landeskog and Tanguay,those two players are a lot better then the Mcginn and Jones and it will that will help his trade value a lot.

Does it mean that we have to trade him? ...no.

But at least, his trade value might the best in the last 4 years.

Stastny PPG last four seasons.

Before Stewart was traded: 124 points in 137 games. 0.9 PPG
After Stewart was traded: 89 points in 137 games. 0.65 PPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad