Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
A #3 with some upside still there to be realized is about what I expect us to get. Both those are the guys with borderline #2 potential, not bonafied 2nd pairing guys. Heck, Schultz isn't even a 2nd pairing guy.

We could probably nab Meszaros for an insignificant asset, he's pretty close to a 2nd pairing guy when healthy.

Stastny and O'Reilly are not expendable assets, they are the type of complimentary pieces that create a LAK cup dynamic. You only move them if you're given a home run deal, like JJ for Carter, strength for a weakness of similar caliber.

O'Reilly for Kulikov perhaps or JJ maybe. Stastny isn't going to get us a reasonable enough return, might as well re-sign him and get him used to playing C/LW.

An excellent question, one which rises above the tactical discussion of this-for-that.

And it's a question that begs a few complex discussions. Can a team really have 4 1st/2nd line centers on it at the same time? Given one of these centers will be possibly/likely lost for nothing in 9 months, should they get what they can?

Quite doable if one plays full time wing.

Stastny - Duchene - XXX
XXXXXX - MacKinnon - XXX
Landeskog - O'Reilly -XXX

We roll each line 18-20 minutes a piece, 4th line gets 5-8 depending on the game situation. You can afford to pay Stastny 5-6 mil if he's successful on the wing and center. You can afford to pay O'Reilly 5-5.5 mil if he's getting enough icetime and playing #1 PK effectively, when Mack gets his big raise you consider moving Stastny or O'Reilly for a younger, cheaper piece or reallocate their money towards defense.

...and if Stastny won't resign before the deadline, then what?

Cross that bridge if we get there, assume for now he will and act accordingly. He's not someone you make a panic move on.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
A #3 with some upside still there to be realized is about what I expect us to get. Both those are the guys with borderline #2 potential, not bonafied 2nd pairing guys. Heck, Schultz isn't even a 2nd pairing guy.

We could probably nab Meszaros for an insignificant asset, he's pretty close to a 2nd pairing guy when healthy.

Stastny and O'Reilly are not expendable assets, they are the type of complimentary pieces that create a LAK cup dynamic. You only move them if you're given a home run deal, like JJ for Carter, strength for a weakness of similar caliber.

O'Reilly for Kulikov perhaps or JJ maybe. Stastny isn't going to get us a reasonable enough return, might as well re-sign him and get him used to playing C/LW.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Than shop him for a 1st + a B-prospect...
Maybe a rental swap for a guy like Hjalmarsson...

Both better than trading him for Nick Schultz....

Zandar

Jan 20, 2007
IF O'Reilly is traded after having a very good season in 2013-2014, he will bring back a very nice return. There is no reason to dump him for a top 4 D at a moments notice as many have suggested. If the Avs and Ryan can not agree to something that works for both long term, then he will probably bring in a very nice NHL level player and a high pick (if its not in a trade for a top D). HF can be so obsessed with stats but what Ryan can do and has the potential to do is worth more than what most think.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado

I have my doubts that Stastny will bring in a 1st AND a B level prospect at the deadline but I've been wrong before. It's up to him to step it up and get back to what he's done in the past. Been waiting for three years now...

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

But then the Avs don't get a roster player ready to play now. Prospects and picks are nice and all, but if they use said pick on a defenseman, we may be waiting another 3-5 years before that pick is ready to contribute on the blue line. The Avs need improved defenseman, and they need them soon. Else they'll still be looking for quality defensemen when these young forwards are in their prime(s).

Last edited:

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
When is bogosians arbitration date?
August 2nd.

Not that anyone should be making note of it. The Jets wouldn't walk away from him any quicker than the Avs would walk away from Johnson. He'll probably get a contract before then, and it will be for 3+ years.

Dutchy09*

What about something like McGinn + a 3rd/2nd for Andrew MacDonald from the Isles? Can log big minutes and is still pretty young.

Dutchy09*

Somebody should make a thread on the Trade Section for Value of Andrew MacDonald to the Avs since I still don't have enough experience to do that yet.. :D

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Somebody should make a thread on the Trade Section for Value of Andrew MacDonald to the Avs since I still don't have enough experience to do that yet.. :D

Not crazy about Drew Mac and Id think if the Isles were to include him in a deal Id bet it would be a package to get a C like Gagner.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
But then the Avs don't get a roster player ready to play now. Prospects and picks are nice and all, but if they use said pick on a defenseman, we may be waiting another 3-5 years before that pick is ready to contribute on the blue line. The Avs need improved defenseman, and they need them soon. Else they'll still be looking for quality defensemen when these young forwards are in their prime(s).

I could not care less. No they don't need them soon.
We got EJ, Barrie, Elliott and Siemens who are all hopefully ready in a year or two. And we got Hejda and Wilson who are decent stopgaps.
We lack overall quality. What we don't lack is "impact now" players just for the sake of pleasing a few desperate fans...

There is an 80% chance that we are not making the playoffs next year.
And I am perfectly fine with it. Just don't squander assets for a stupid "win-now" -attitude that is bound to fail.
This team picked 1st overall and can not be fixed in one offseason.
Give it time...

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Little wants 1.75 million more than he's being offered. Could he be a trade option?

Not that we exactly need more offense, but could be an upgrade over someone?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Little was possibly before Tanguay, now there's no room. Who is he going to replace?

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I could not care less. No they don't need them soon.
We got EJ, Barrie, Elliott and Siemens who are all hopefully ready in a year or two. And we got Hejda and Wilson who are decent stopgaps.
We lack overall quality. What we don't lack is "impact now" players just for the sake of pleasing a few desperate fans...

There is an 80% chance that we are not making the playoffs next year.
And I am perfectly fine with it. Just don't squander assets for a stupid "win-now" -attitude that is bound to fail.
This team picked 1st overall and can not be fixed in one offseason.
Give it time...

Your patience or willingness to endure another non-playoff year isn't relevant, IMO. The issue at hand is the combination of how difficult it is to get quality defensemen from another roster, plus the fact that the Avs could be in the position of losing Stastny to UFA for nothing. In other words, they have a valuable asset that is better used to improve the team, rather than the prospect system.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Your patience or willingness to endure another non-playoff year isn't relevant, IMO. The issue at hand is the combination of how difficult it is to get quality defensemen from another roster, plus the fact that the Avs could be in the position of losing Stastny to UFA for nothing. In other words, they have a valuable asset that is better used to improve the team, rather than the prospect system.

I'd prefer to trade Stastny for a D improvement.
I'd prefer to trade him for a current NHLer.
But I'd also prefer to trade him for picks/prospects than lose him to UFA for nothing in return.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

It's probably easier to upgrade Avs defense now than at any point in the last five years. Avs could sign Hainsey and he'd be a #3-4 here. Someone like Klesla, Morris or if Avs would want to gamble Meszaros could probably be had for peanuts. Tony Lydman is still a UFA. I wouldn't be shocked if Orpik could be traded for, but Pens fans seem divided on how much he has left in the tank.

I don't expect Avs to make any moves though. They don't seem to want to be saddled with any defender that might regress in two years time and probably want maximum flexibility going forward.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
But I'd also prefer to trade him for picks/prospects than lose him to UFA for nothing in return.

I agree. I would hate to lose Stastny for nothing, but I guess I would be fine with it, IF we made deep run in playoffs with him, but that's pretty unlikely with our current team at this point.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
It's probably easier to upgrade Avs defense now than at any point in the last five years. Avs could sign Hainsey and he'd be a #3-4 here. Someone like Klesla, Morris or if Avs would want to gamble Meszaros could probably be had for peanuts. Tony Lydman is still a UFA. I wouldn't be shocked if Orpik could be traded for, but Pens fans seem divided on how much he has left in the tank.

I don't expect Avs to make any moves though. They don't seem to want to be saddled with any defender that might regress in two years time and probably want maximum flexibility going forward.

Whitney, Hainsey, Lydman, Murray etc. Still available, Sakic really believes these guys wouldn't help our team? Just sign these guy/s for one year contract for big money. We can do it. Just gamble for one year, might be worth it. These guys could all improve our team.

I'm having nightmares going to next season with current defense. I mean, Wilson in first pairing? C'mon!

EDIT;

Yeah, from Flames fans Sarich is pretty much done, Hunwick should be eating popcorn in any good team etc. These guys shouldn't be playing, unless there's injuries. going into season one of these guys playing is bad sign. Hopefully I'm wrong and Sakic/Roy does something.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

I agree completely on all three points. Stastny's contract may likely push the Avs to the third point though.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Several of those guys have warts - age or injury mostly. I really liked Meszaros before he turned into glass.

I think you're right. My point is that if the Avs do eventually move a good proven NHL roster player like Stastny (or O'R), I want a good proven NHL roster player in return, not just more picks and/or unproven prospects. And I'd like that return roster player to be a defenseman. Getting picks in return and playing the waiting game for more years of development is not the way to go, IMO.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

We won't know if Staz wants to go to UFA until we talk to him about extending. If he doesn't want to stick around the most we'll get is the standard rental deal of first plus prospect at the deadline and that's the most we'll get. Either way it's best to sit on him til the deadline while you try to extend him now that he gets to play with quality wingers again, and if he just won't sign move him at the deadline when a lot more teams will be able to fit him in and will be interested in him again, as I expect his production to bounce comfortably over 60 points this year. Then we'll know where teams' firsts will be and we may get a better prospect in return for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad