Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I agree the Avs need to focus on themselves but trading anything of value to get Coburn would be silly because you are in a position of power.

Philly is in a really bad position, they need to shed approximately 2M in salary before the start of the year. They've already used both their compliance buyouts, so they don't have that option anymore. They've publicly said they want Gagne back, which I can't imagine going for less than 2M. They really don't have many players that I envision them wanting to trade. So somehow they have to shed enough space to get in compliance and sign Gagne.

So basically the list of players on their team I could see them moving are Coburn, Meszaros, Luke Schenn, maybe B Schenn. Coburn is the most likely because the most teams would be interested, Meszaros while a talented player any team giving more than a mid pick would be stupid due to the injures. I really don't see either Schenn moving unless they get a really good deal.

The even funnier part is they somehow have to trade one of these players and not take much salary coming back. I'm not interested in giving up any of our better prospects or a 1st rd pick for Coburn. Thats why the most I'd even consider giving is Hunwick and maybe a 2nd rd pick. If they don't want that deal then fine.

Position of power???? I bet there is a more than a handfull of teams that would be interested in a guy like Coburn. There goes our "power".

If Hunwick is the best we can do, then we souldn't even bother make a call.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If Ryan Wilson keeps you from trading for Coburn you just don't want to improve this D. Ryan does some things well and all, but he shouldn't be in the top 4 of a playoff team. He can fill in as a 4 but you really want him to be on your third pairing. Coburn is a completely different class of defensemen and is actually a good top 4 guy. With EJ, Coburn, Barrie and Hejda we'd suddenly have a capable top 4 and not doing that because of a third pairing defensemen or because we might be able to leverage a slightly better deal is silly.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I know there is a lot of jokes about him here based on the insane Leafs proposals. But Toronto is gonna have a tough time re-signing their guys after handing out those stupid contracts to Bozak and Clarkson. I would hear with them if they would like to give up Gunnarsson for cheap. He is just a solid guy who can handle big minutes.

And it looks like Pens need to dump either Orpik or Niskanen. I'd hear around there too.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I know there is a lot of jokes about him here based on the insane Leafs proposals. But Toronto is gonna have a tough time re-signing their guys after handing out those stupid contracts to Bozak and Clarkson. I would hear with them if they would like to give up Gunnarsson for cheap. He is just a solid guy who can handle big minutes.

I'd be all over Gunnar if it didn't involve messing with our top 9 forwards.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I think the Leafs will be fine when re-signings their RFA's, they still have quite a bit of room.

Last edited by a moderator:

Averick*

Position of power???? I bet there is a more than a handfull of teams that would be interested in a guy like Coburn. There goes our "power".

If Hunwick is the best we can do, then we souldn't even bother make a call.

Why is Coburn suddenly the schwerpunkt of our universe? There are 30 teams in the NHL. Colorado also has good defensive prospects.

People really need to relax.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Why is Coburn suddenly the schwerpunkt of our universe? There are 30 teams in the NHL. Colorado also has good defensive prospects.

Yup, relax...

...and go into next season with a porous defense again. Varly will get bombarded again. Not ideal for his development, in my opinion.

We're not going to be able to fix the D all at once. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't make every reasonable effort to improve it wherever and whenever we can.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

Coburn has been the focus now, because of the Flyers cap situation. Some fans think they can get him for basically free because of that, but that is difficult do believe since, like you said, there are more teams in the NHL than the Avs and the Flyers.

Averick*

Yup, relax...

...and go into next season with a porous defense again. Varly will get bombarded again. Not ideal for his development, in my opinion.

We're not going to be able to fix the D all at once. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't make every reasonable effort to improve it wherever and whenever we can.

Yes, relax. It's day 2 of free agency. Let teams bury themselves under bad contracts. It's at a point where the impatience should really be tempered.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I do wonder how much better than Wilson+Goalie Prospect+2nd/3rd round pick Philly will get offered for Coburn. They save their money, get a guy who's good on the third pairing, a prospect at their biggest position of weakness and a pick to trade away to clear cap space next year.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

And it looks like Pens need to dump either Orpik or Niskanen. I'd hear around there too.

Wouldn't mind Orpik if he comes (fairly) cheap. Would be good in a right role imo.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I do wonder how much better than Wilson+Goalie Prospect+2nd/3rd round pick Philly will get offered for Coburn. They save their money, get a guy who's good on the third pairing, a prospect at their biggest position of weakness and a pick to trade away to clear cap space next year.

Philly got their goalie now. Their team is made up. I don't expect them to make any significant changes.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Detroit re-sign Cleary to 2.6M per over 3 years. They had 2.3M in cap space before that.

Now they have Brendan Smith, Joakim Andersson and Gustav Nyquist as RFA's. I think you are allowed to go up to 3.3M in an offer sheet and still only give a 2nd round pick. You gotta wonder if someone is gonna take a shot and gamble a little and throw that at Nyquist now with Detroit being over the cap.

Dutchy09*

Detroit re-sign Cleary to 2.6M per over 3 years. They had 2.3M in cap space before that.

Now they have Brendan Smith, Joakim Andersson and Gustav Nyquist as RFA's. I think you are allowed to go up to 3.3M in an offer sheet and still only give a 2nd round pick. You gotta wonder if someone is gonna take a shot and gamble a little and throw that at Nyquist now with Detroit being over the cap.

Brendan Smith anyone?

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan

I say we should. Then we can trade McGinn or Downie (with other assets) for a top 2 D.

Burnaby_Joe*

The Sens should send one of them an offer :D

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
Nyquist is gonna be good. I'd love to see us take him from them. Smith is a bust. He was awful in the playoffs.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

Seems like it's not done yet, probably just afraid what you described.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad