Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
But as has been stated, why would that happen? Neither side has any incentive to do so. So, unless his KHL team suddenly goes broke, he will stay there.

Well if the NHL has no say in the matter Kroenke could pay them to do so, that's how transfers happen between football clubs 95% of the time. Players even often have buyout clauses in their contracts now a days in taht sport.

But according to the trade board Radulov would have to be the one to buy out his contract, the team can't do so for him, which would mean that yeah this won't happen this summer unless kroenke can do so under the table.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Well if the NHL has no say in the matter Kroenke could pay them to do so, that's how transfers happen between football clubs 95% of the time. Players even often have buyout clauses in their contracts now a days in taht sport.

But according to the trade board Radulov would have to be the one to buy out his contract, the team can't do so for him, which would mean that yeah this won't happen this summer unless kroenke can do so under the table.

I don't pretend to know KHL contracts, but yeah, I can't imagine Radulov would have much reason to give up a big payday to come here when he can just wait a year. And the CBA would prevent the Avs from funneling any money to Rads get him to buy out or whatever.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Maybe it's just me, but I think Crosby is a really good defender. Not up there with the selke caliber guys, but in that 2nd tier with the likes of Staz. I feel he fills that 2way need.

It's not, but also don't think that Duchene or MacK couldn't fulfill that aspect just as well. Mack took a big step forward with his two way play and become passable this year, while Duchene's been a fine defensive player for a couple seasons now.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If Avs add Radulov, would they realistically be able to do...

- Contract extensions to Barrie, EJ, and MacKinnon?
- An extension to Ryan O'Reilly?
- Sign a top 4 defenseman?
- Sign a defensive shutdown centre?

All of this under the cap?

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

I doubt it would work under this years cap, let alone next years.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

If they sign 1 top 4 dman who's a more manageable option like Oduya should be and bring back hejda for a year to hold onto a job for one of the kids they could keep ROR, Barrie, EJ and MacK depending on those specific numbers and how much the cap goes up.

That last year of Iggy and Stuart's deals would be the trickiest part of making the math work if everyone wants to be there.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I could see Radulov sign for something that is reasonable ($5M-$6M) for shorter term like 3-4 years. His main goal to come back to the NHL may not be to break the bank, I think it would be to win and signing for a good salary, while reasonable gives the team flexibility.

I think the writing has been on the wall with ROR for a while. Seeing Roy making a comment like that suggests to me that they've come to a inevitable conclusion that paying ROR $7M+ per year probably doesn't make sense for the future of this club when you consider our current depth.

We'll see what happens but if the Avs trade ROR at the draft and then sign Radulov on July 1st, I won't be surprised. (I'll be pretty happy though because that's a pretty good trade-off)

Don't think the NHL has any jurisdiction in this case. This would simply be the KHL club terminating Radulov's contract and his signing in the NHL as a UFA.

It's a good point but I would suggest that if you have an excellent 2-way C as your 3rd line center, you can get away with it. Here's the list going back 15 years or so:

2014 - LA Kings - Kopitar, Carter, Stoll/Richards
2013 - Chicago - Toews, Handzus/Bollad, Kruger
2012 - LA Kings - Kopitar, Richards, Stoll
2011 - Boston - Krecji, Bergeron, Kelly
2010 - Chicago - Toews, Bolland, Madden
2009 - Pittsburgh - Crosby, Malkin, Staal
2008 - Detroit - Datsyuk, Filppula, Helm/Draper
2007 - Anaheim - Getzlaf, Pahlsson, R. Niedermayer
2006 - Carolina - Staal, Brind'Amour, Cullen
2005 - :cry:
2004 - B.Richards, LeCavalier, Tim Taylor (really? Tim Taylor?? ok...lol)
2003 - Gomez, Nieuwendyk, Madden
2002 - Yzerman, Fedorov, Larionov (that cup should have been ours :rant:)
2001 - Sakic, Drury (Forsberg), Reinprecht/Yelle

I believe that with time, Duchene's role is going to change from primary point producing forward to 2-way - 2nd line center. We've seen him play a solid defensive role at the Olympics, there's no reason to suggest he can't adapt to that style, especially if MacKinnon takes over from an offensive standpoint.

I don't see a time where both players say 'screw defense' and both only concentrate on offense. It might take a bit of time but I think we'll be fine. Adding a great 2-way center for our 3rd line might end up being the last missing piece at some point.

For the past 10 years there has been at least 1 2way guy (a lot of those teams are solid defensively at each C position). And besides Pitt, each team has had a Selke caliber guy. I think this list just shows how important it is to have a2way guy in the top6.

I highly doubt Duchene ever becomes a 2way guy. He will make a great play here and there, but defense is about consistency. It's been how many years, and he is still close to the worst defender on the team. And it's not about saying screw defense. It's not like he just floats around and bails from the Dzone too soon looking for offense (like Kessell/Ovi from last year). He just isn't a good defender.

MacK might turn into a decent defender. But there is still a lot of uncertainty there still. Too much for my liking.

It's not, but also don't think that Duchene or MacK couldn't fulfill that aspect just as well. Mack took a big step forward with his two way play and become passable this year, while Duchene's been a fine defensive player for a couple seasons now.

I certainly wouldn't describe his D as fine (aka average), especially for a C. He lacks IQ, which at this point isn't going to get much better. He lacks patience and starts chasing the puck leaving his man wide open for easy scoring chances. He is kind of timid on the puck and along the wall. He doesn't really understand how to use his body to gain proper position in front of the net and in the slot. And for how amazing his hands are with the puck he doesn't have that active of a stick defensively.

Crosby is well ahead of both those guys.

Mack is still quite young though. He can still improve a lot. But I doubt Duchene improves much more.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

IMO it is a pick 3/5 situation.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I'd rather let MacK be our superstar RW ala Patrick Kane or even one could argue Stamkos recently, keep Hishon in the fold a little longer, and get ROR locked down by paying him justly as a 2C.

Even overpaying ROR a bit would likely have more positive impact per $$ than signing Radulov IMO.

edit: before people freak out: was comparing roles and not necessarily talent in the first line :laugh:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I like Radulov so that sounds good but I'm not sure how it'll work with the cap. We have a lot of other needs right now.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

No but LOL if they pulled it off. That would be a good lookin hockey team.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
The conversation was getting a little playful after about 15 minutes. Radulov wasn't caught in the midst of a something-is-lost-in-the-translation scenario that might have been the case when he arrived in North America to play for the Quebec Remparts of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League and for at least a couple of months he had trouble understanding conversations his teammates were having, had difficulty ordering food and didn't have a clue about the inside jokes at parties.

Radulov got his endoctorization to the NHL while he was living in with Hall of Fame goaltender Patrick Roy and his family while playing for Roy's Quebec team. Alexander had a great relationship with Patrick's sons, Jonathan and Fredrick. However, sometimes the competitive nature of their games went over the edge.

"Jonathan was a goalie and we had a good friendship, but Frederick was a forward like me and he thought he was better in a lot of things we did together," Radulov laughed. "Especially when we played PlayStation hockey. I would always win and he'd get really rattled, because I was the Predators or the Soviet national team and it didn't matter which team he chose to be."

http://wiggesworld.blogspot.com/2012/03/after-fou-year-absence-radulovs-back.html

I didn't know that Radulov lived with Roy's family.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
IMO it is a pick 3/5 situation.

1; extend EJ, Mack and Barrie; 2; extend ROR; 3; sign a top 4 dman.

Sounds good to me :yo:

For the past 10 years there has been at least 1 2way guy (a lot of those teams are solid defensively at each C position). And besides Pitt, each team has had a Selke caliber guy. I think this list just shows how important it is to have a2way guy in the top6.

I highly doubt Duchene ever becomes a 2way guy. He will make a great play here and there, but defense is about consistency. It's been how many years, and he is still close to the worst defender on the team. And it's not about saying screw defense. It's not like he just floats around and bails from the Dzone too soon looking for offense (like Kessell/Ovi from last year). He just isn't a good defender.

MacK might turn into a decent defender. But there is still a lot of uncertainty there still. Too much for my liking.

I certainly wouldn't describe his D as fine (aka average), especially for a C. He lacks IQ, which at this point isn't going to get much better. He lacks patience and starts chasing the puck leaving his man wide open for easy scoring chances. He is kind of timid on the puck and along the wall. He doesn't really understand how to use his body to gain proper position in front of the net and in the slot. And for how amazing his hands are with the puck he doesn't have that active of a stick defensively.

Crosby is well ahead of both those guys.

Mack is still quite young though. He can still improve a lot. But I doubt Duchene improves much more.

We just severely disagree on Dutchy's defensive zone play. I don't disagree with his stick being less active than you'd expect, but I have much less complaints about his positioning because he got caught chasing a lot less when he knew he had to be covering for Iggy than when he knew that he had ROR covering for him. If he had a partner who was a dominant offensive force, like Rads could be next to Duchene, I think Matty would have little problem focusing even more on his two way game which I think is already much better than you're giving it credit for.

The comp for Matty was Yzerman when he came out, and that's exactly how yzerman's career went, he started off a defensive liability and offensive dynamo who started to round out his game in his mid 20s.

AW8

Apr 28, 2014
But according to the trade board Radulov would have to be the one to buy out his contract, the team can't do so for him, which would mean that yeah this won't happen this summer unless kroenke can do so under the table.[/QUOTE]

In regards to Kroenke- look at Family Sports. It is a nice local youth league ice. But for an NHL team? Common. Just had a tourney in LA. The Toyota center? Makes the promenade look like old foothills. That place is sweet. Keoenke needs to pony up and redo Family Sports or build a new facility for AVS if he wants to attract free agents.

That being said...
Trading ROR for zags & Griggs? Oh man the money it would save while waiting for expiring contracts which by then the AVS d would be :yo: with a solid top 6? (If Crouse then fell? - holy future batman!)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd rather have the islanders pick than grigs, especially if Dunk for Fasching/Bailey/Baptiste ends up part of a potential ROR trade if we can't extend him.

AW8

Apr 28, 2014
Fair enough- I was just thinking of the $$ on a roster spot. Griggs appears to be solid enough for a third liner and cheaper too. Then AVS can weather "storm" for two seasons cap wise.
After that sky is limit with that talent.

Rather keep ROR but losing him for 0 is bad

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

1; extend EJ, Mack and Barrie; 2; extend ROR; 3; sign a top 4 dman.

Sounds good to me :yo:

Yeah, easy choice for me if those are the options and we can make 3 out of the 5 happen. I don't think it's realistic to bring in two top 4 defensemen this offseason anyways, and Mitchell as 3C isn't the end of the world. We'd like upgrades there, but if you told me could add a single top 4 D, while re-signing the big 4 *AND* bringing in Radulov(in addition to keeping our #10 overall), well that's a no-brainer.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Could really use CapGeek right about now to see how all this fits......

Maybe I'm way off here but I don't think Radulov's first contract back will be too crazy. Maybe like 1 year, $5.5-6M. He cashes in the following year if everything goes well. If not, he can probably get good money in the KHL again.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It's that time of year where I just automatically I assume that we get the absolute best from every player on our team next year :laugh:

Dutchy goes ppg again
Landeskog and ROR do their domination thing they found from Christmas on
Mackinnon turns into Seguin
Varlamov wins the Vezina
EJ changes his last name to Norris
Barrie hits 60
Nobody gets hurt

Ahhh, summer.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
So just throwing it out there, but Tampa might have to move a defenseman this summer to make some space. Matt Carle is the name getting thrown around, because of his high cap hit. Does anyone think the Avs would show interest, if they could send something like Nick Holden's contract back the other way?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
So just throwing it out there, but Tampa might have to move a defenseman this summer to make some space. Matt Carle is the name getting thrown around, because of his high cap hit. Does anyone think the Avs would show interest, if they could send something like Nick Holden's contract back the other way?

I don't know if they would do it, but I would be on board. Holden is a contract that needs to go, and Carle is an upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad