Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The Avs play 10 of the final 18 on the road down the stretch, Hejda will be away from his family more then he'll be close to them. He wouldn't have to move them as he can spend the next two months in a hotel like he's on a road trip and they can stay here.

Before last night's game they were 10 points out of a wild card spot, they made no moves to try to go for it now so why not try to obtain some assets? With Briere's playoff history I don't know how they couldn't eat 50% and get anything for him. Jokinen hasn't been to the playoffs much yet was traded to a contender. If you know you aren't making the playoffs selling UFA's off and giving young players a look is what you're supposed to do, you need to maximize your assets and see what you have in prospects. With Lake Erie not making the playoffs the kids down there aren't playing meaningful games so give a few a cup of coffee to see if they're NHL caliber and if not move on from them.

Well I don't really know Hejda and didn't have a discussion with him about how exactly his family would plan things but most likely he doesn't want to play with another team and if he was moved he likely wouldn't have promised to come back. You don't tell your family "k guys i'm leaving to work somewher else, I may get my original job back here in 6 months if i'm willing to take a huge pay cut after they shipped me out but it's not 100%. There may be other jobs opening up around the continent at that same time so really I have no idea what we're doing. But hey, i love ya. Call you when I get there"

There's a certain type of respect that goes into how you deal with veterans. If Sakic was given an offer that obviously adds some help to this team going forward i'm pretty sure he would have taken it.

As for Briere i'm guessing there was nobody who wanted him. Even Briere made it seem like he would have liked to be moved so I don't think there was anything holding Sakic back. He's an old guy who cant get into the lineup of a team who as you said is 10 points back of a wild card spot. Teams probably would rather spend 2 million of cap space elsewhere. Jokinen is a better hockey player than Briere and returned a 6th and a roster player. Colorado don't want any roster players and can just drop Briere's contract after this season.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Well I don't really know Hejda and didn't have a discussion with him about how exactly his family would plan things but most likely he doesn't want to play with another team and if he was moved he likely wouldn't have promised to come back. You don't tell your family "k guys i'm leaving to work somewher else, I may get my original job back here in 6 months if i'm willing to take a huge pay cut after they shipped me out but it's not 100%. There may be other jobs opening up around the continent at that same time so really I have no idea what we're doing. But hey, i love ya. Call you when I get there"

There's a certain type of respect that goes into how you deal with veterans. If Sakic was given an offer that obviously adds some help to this team going forward i'm pretty sure he would have taken it.

As for Briere i'm guessing there was nobody who wanted him. Even Briere made it seem like he would have liked to be moved so I don't think there was anything holding Sakic back. He's an old guy who cant get into the lineup of a team who as you said is 10 points back of a wild card spot. Teams probably would rather spend 2 million of cap space elsewhere. Jokinen is a better hockey player than Briere and returned a 6th and a roster player. Colorado don't want any roster players and can just drop Briere's contract after this season.

I'm pretty sure Hejda is playing in the NHL to try and win a Cup. He's been to the playoffs twice in his 9 year NHL career, Sakic would be doing him a favor by sending him to a contender for a chance at the Cup. Obviously Hejda would have to want to move himself. If he didn't want to move and remain here till he retires I don't know why they haven't signed a new contract yet? You don't have to wait till the offseason to resign pending UFA's, all Sakic is doing is getting into a bidding war by allowing other teams to make offers on Hejda.

Jokinen is not a better player, both are terrible right now but Briere at least has a track record in the playoffs. With the season almost over his cap hit would be prorated so eating 50% would have been less then 1mil. If Briere isn't even going to play for the Avs they could've moved him for future considerations and saved the team close to a million bucks.

m0ngr31

This has been said a few times, and I just don't get the mentality... Briere has 11 points in 48 games, Jokinen has 7 is 54. Jokinen has also played in a grand total of 6 playoff games. It's not like either of them are world beaters, but you're telling me that Jokinen is more attractive to a playoff team when he has less points in more games, and Briere has over 20x as much playoff experience? The only thing I can think of is the salary. Maybe if we would have retained most of it we could have gotten something back for him. I don't really care about the 7th round pick we could have gotten for him, just kind of feel sorry for him more than anything.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm pretty sure Hejda is playing in the NHL to try and win a Cup. He's been to the playoffs twice in his 9 year NHL career, Sakic would be doing him a favor by sending him to a contender for a chance at the Cup. Obviously Hejda would have to want to move himself. If he didn't want to move and remain here till he retires I don't know why they haven't signed a new contract yet? You don't have to wait till the offseason to resign pending UFA's, all Sakic is doing is getting into a bidding war by allowing other teams to make offers on Hejda.

Jokinen is not a better player, both are terrible right now but Briere at least has a track record in the playoffs. With the season almost over his cap hit would be prorated so eating 50% would have been less then 1mil. If Briere isn't even going to play for the Avs they could've moved him for future considerations and saved the team close to a million bucks.

Hejda said he didn't want to go anywhere to the media, and he told Sakic that. Don't know how else to explain that Hejda didn't want to be moved. I don't think Sakic would be doing Hejda a favor by doing the exact opposite of what he wsa hoping.

As for Briere being better than Jokinen, he isn't. Jokinen is capable of playing defense and is actually very good at it. He brings just as much leadership as Briere and the both of them are close offensively (both below average). When a team is adding depth for a playoff run they are adding somebody who can be responsible in a few minutes per game. They don't want an offense only guy who cant even bring any offense anymore. What good is that on your 4th line?

NHL teams are a lot smarter than to think Danny Briere is going to be their playoff savior. Good for him to have a great playoff past but that was when he could play hockey.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Hejda said he didn't want to go anywhere to the media, and he told Sakic that. Don't know how else to explain that Hejda didn't want to be moved. I don't think Sakic would be doing Hejda a favor by doing the exact opposite of what he wsa hoping.

As for Briere being better than Jokinen, he isn't. Jokinen is capable of playing defense and is actually very good at it. He brings just as much leadership as Briere and the both of them are close offensively (both below average). When a team is adding depth for a playoff run they are adding somebody who can be responsible in a few minutes per game. They don't want an offense only guy who cant even bring any offense anymore. What good is that on your 4th line?

NHL teams are a lot smarter than to think Danny Briere is going to be their playoff savior. Good for him to have a great playoff past but that was when he could play hockey.

Then why haven't they signed him yet? If he wants to be here you resign him, there's no reason for either party to wait till the summer if that's the case. If Sakic some how lands a LD free agent or two then Hejda is the odd man out so they've lost him for nothing and Hejda wanting to stay doesn't matter. If you sign him now for a reasonable deal you can then focus on one free agent as well as knowing how much cap space you'll have to do it.

Jokinen will most likely not even play for the Blues he's purely a depth guy just like Briere would be. In today's NHL it's more about depth scoring then having shutdown lines. Briere on the 4th makes that a dangerous line against other teams worth lines. Hopefully you aren't matching your 4th line up against top 6 lines.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Then why haven't they signed him yet? If he wants to be here you resign him, there's no reason for either party to wait till the summer if that's the case. If Sakic some how lands a LD free agent or two then Hejda is the odd man out so they've lost him for nothing and Hejda wanting to stay doesn't matter. If you sign him now for a reasonable deal you can then focus on one free agent as well as knowing how much cap space you'll have to do it.

Jokinen will most likely not even play for the Blues he's purely a depth guy just like Briere would be. In today's NHL it's more about depth scoring then having shutdown lines. Briere on the 4th makes that a dangerous line against other teams worth lines. Hopefully you aren't matching your 4th line up against top 6 lines.

Maybe it's an insurance move. Maybe we're just keeping Hejda on the back burner until we miss on some other guys. Maybe Hejda plans to retire and didn't want to spend his last games on a new team.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

You cant seriously think there's no reason to wait when it's so blatantly obvious how bad our D needs to be upgraded. Sakic goes through the draft and early on July 1 trying to see if he can upgrade. IF not he signs Hejda. Hejda wants to stay here, he isn't going to sign with another team without his agent coming back to Sakic and telling him what he's been offered. It's then up to Sakic if he wants to take Hejda back at whatever discount he's willing to give.

As for the NHL having more importance in depth scoring than shutting down, no. You want a fourth line who doesn't get scored on. If they can chip in that's fine but their most importanty role is to not get scored on. When you're talking 6-8 minutes a night in playoff hockey the difference in Briere's offense over Jokinen isn't nearly as much as Jokinen's defense over Briere. Jokinen is the superior player and will play a 4th line role A LOT better than Briere. The fact that Briere plays for your favorite team and you wanted to get a big return for him doesn't change that.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Or maybe the Avs want to see how much cap they have after some other signings before signing Hedja.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This has been said a few times, and I just don't get the mentality... Briere has 11 points in 48 games, Jokinen has 7 is 54. Jokinen has also played in a grand total of 6 playoff games. It's not like either of them are world beaters, but you're telling me that Jokinen is more attractive to a playoff team when he has less points in more games, and Briere has over 20x as much playoff experience? The only thing I can think of is the salary. Maybe if we would have retained most of it we could have gotten something back for him. I don't really care about the 7th round pick we could have gotten for him, just kind of feel sorry for him more than anything.

Jokinen is better than Briere. He's much better defensively and there isn't much difference offensively.

To make it easier. Before he got traded to Toronto, Jokinen was playing over 13 minutes a night on the best team in the National Hockey League. Daniel Briere wasn't able to make it into the lineup on a team that was in the bottom 10 of the league. It isn't hard to see why a playoff team wanting some veteran depth would prefer Jokinen over Briere.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm sure Briere would have been traded if somebody offered something worthwhile. Gut feeling the Avs got offered some crap prospects or a bad contract swap who was also UFA.

Hejda is a totally different story... like I said when the deadline passed, I'm expecting an announcement of a 2 year deal before the end of the season.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'm sure Briere would have been traded if somebody offered something worthwhile. Gut feeling the Avs got offered some crap prospects or a bad contract swap who was also UFA.

Hejda is a totally different story... like I said when the deadline passed, I'm expecting an announcement of a 2 year deal before the end of the season.

I could live with a 2-year deal, but my opinion would be that a 1-year deal would be more ideal for the Avs.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I feel like Hejda wont go for a one year deal. He doesn't want to deal with the stress again at next year's deadline (although Sakic's decision this year helps that).
The positive part of a two year deal is that Hejda likely takes an even larger paycut.

All of Sakic's moves (or lack there of) always turn into something I warm up to over time but the Brad Stuart trade and extension hurts me more and more every day.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You cant seriously think there's no reason to wait when it's so blatantly obvious how bad our D needs to be upgraded. Sakic goes through the draft and early on July 1 trying to see if he can upgrade. IF not he signs Hejda. Hejda wants to stay here, he isn't going to sign with another team without his agent coming back to Sakic and telling him what he's been offered. It's then up to Sakic if he wants to take Hejda back at whatever discount he's willing to give.

As for the NHL having more importance in depth scoring than shutting down, no. You want a fourth line who doesn't get scored on. If they can chip in that's fine but their most importanty role is to not get scored on. When you're talking 6-8 minutes a night in playoff hockey the difference in Briere's offense over Jokinen isn't nearly as much as Jokinen's defense over Briere. Jokinen is the superior player and will play a 4th line role A LOT better than Briere. The fact that Briere plays for your favorite team and you wanted to get a big return for him doesn't change that.

It is obvious the D is bad it's also obvious they have nothing to play for this year. The issue I have with Hejda is how do you expect him to take a pay cut when Stuart is making more then him? He's going to look at what Stuart makes and how he brings more to the team then him and expect to be paid more then him. Stuart needs to be moved to free up cap space that could be used on a younger and better asset.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It is obvious the D is bad it's also obvious they have nothing to play for this year. The issue I have with Hejda is how do you expect him to take a pay cut when Stuart is making more then him? He's going to look at what Stuart makes and how he brings more to the team then him and expect to be paid more then him. Stuart needs to be moved to free up cap space that could be used on a younger and better asset.

If we're going to bad all defensive contracts around what Stuart gets, EJ should ask for $12m and Barrie $8. Stuart is just a bad contract. If Hejda really wants to make that a sticking point, let him walk. I like Hejda and what he brings, but he isn't irreplaceable.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Patrick Roy is the head coach. There's no such thing as having nothing to play for. This organization is going to want to bring their best lineup night after night regardless of how things look in the standings.

If Hejda asks for more than Stuart he just isn't going to get it. For every "well Brad Stuart makes x amount of dollars" that Hejda's agent makes Sakic has a "and look how that turned out" response for Hejda's agent.

Hejda wants to stay here and I assume he takes a discount in doing that. Especially after Sakic not moving him. If the dollars Sakic want to give aren't an option for Hejda he will walk and that's the end of it.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If we're going to bad all defensive contracts around what Stuart gets, EJ should ask for $12m and Barrie $8. Stuart is just a bad contract. If Hejda really wants to make that a sticking point, let him walk. I like Hejda and what he brings, but he isn't irreplaceable.

Like it or not his agent is going to try to get the most he can for his client. If Sakic is throwing out 3.6 for a bottom pair D while Hejda is on the top pair he isn't going to ask for a huge discount.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Patrick Roy is the head coach. There's no such thing as having nothing to play for. This organization is going to want to bring their best lineup night after night regardless of how things look in the standings.

If Hejda asks for more than Stuart he just isn't going to get it. For every "well Brad Stuart makes x amount of dollars" that Hejda's agent makes Sakic has a "and look how that turned out" response for Hejda's agent.

Hejda wants to stay here and I assume he takes a discount in doing that. Especially after Sakic not moving him. If the dollars Sakic want to give aren't an option for Hejda he will walk and that's the end of it.

If this happens, absolutely inexcusable by Sakic to at least not figure out what Hejda might want before making the decision not to trade him. Hejda wanted to stay so you did not trade him, great. Hejda damn well better stick around after that. If Hejda walks, then the Avs just lost (another) asset for absolutely nothing...and I sincerely hope it would also end the ridiculous notion of not trading a player because he did not want to be traded.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Just because Stuart turned out bad doesn't mean Hejda or his agent have to take a discount. He brings more to the team and is being paid less, if he was making more already then I could see him taking less.

I believe Hejda wants to be here and is willing to take a bit less but I can't see him taking anything less then 2.5 per for 2 years. It doesn't save the team much.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If they sign Hejda to a two-year deal, I think he's going to Hejduk us.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Like it or not his agent is going to try to get the most he can for his client. If Sakic is throwing out 3.6 for a bottom pair D while Hejda is on the top pair he isn't going to ask for a huge discount.

Hejda's also not going to get a raise. I would bet that Roy/Sakic talked with Hejda's agent on what he's looking for. My guess is they might do they Hejduk thing where it's just one-year deals till Hejda's body gives out on him and retires.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Let him try. We've got a bit of a log jam of average defenders. Hejda is the best of those, but I don't think he really blows the other guys away. If we don't get him on a solid, team-friendly deal, we should probably look elsewhere.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If this happens, absolutely inexcusable by Sakic to at least not figure out what Hejda might want before making the decision not to trade him. Hejda wanted to stay so you did not trade him, great. Hejda damn well better stick around after that. If Hejda walks, then the Avs just lost (another) asset for absolutely nothing...and I sincerely hope it would also end the ridiculous notion of not trading a player because he did not want to be traded.

I assume Sakic had discussions with both the player and agent/

Just because Stuart turned out bad doesn't mean Hejda or his agent have to take a discount. He brings more to the team and is being paid less, if he was making more already then I could see him taking less.

I believe Hejda wants to be here and is willing to take a bit less but I can't see him taking anything less then 2.5 per for 2 years. It doesn't save the team much.

2.5 per would be amazing. If he's willing to take that i'm sure Sakic would have had him sign the extension already regardless of who else they may aquire.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Really liked that Roy interview today. Good to hear him talk about the defense and finding a partner for EJ. At some point they'll have to pull the trigger though, either by overpaying a bit in a trade or in free agency. I'd rather they just do it once and maybe hand out a contract that'll hurt in a few years than keep rolling with the cheaper (and much crappier) alternatives. Sakic/Roy haven't been on the job long but as fans we've been hearing the same thing about the defense for many years now.

For example, Paul Martin. He'll be 34 years old to start next season but he can still play. I wouldn't be against a contract that looks painful in the final year because he'll be a good addition and by that time they'll know what they have in Bigras, Geertsen, Siemens, etc. Someone like Martin will be a good stop gap to the prospects. They basically did the same thing with Iggy by giving him that third year so why not do it to address your biggest need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad