Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
This is how I see next year

Tanguay-Duchene-Iginla
Landy-X-MacKinnon
McGinn-Mitchell-Everberg
McLeod-Talbot-Bordy
Cliche

X-EJ
X-Barrie
Holden-Stuart
Guenin-Redmond

If Winchester has a miracle maybe that pushes Cliche out but that's a long shot right now. They need a defensive C in FA/O'Reilly deal. Maybe an X on D comes from that deal, if not one UFA and maybe one internal. I just have trouble seeing two new top 4 D, it's possible but I just don't want to bank on it.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
This is how I see next year

Tanguay-Duchene-Iginla
Landy-X-MacKinnon
McGinn-Mitchell-Everberg
McLeod-Talbot-Bordy
Cliche

X-EJ
X-Barrie
Holden-Stuart
Guenin-Redmond

If Winchester has a miracle maybe that pushes Cliche out but that's a long shot right now. They need a defensive C in FA/O'Reilly deal. Maybe an X on D comes from that deal, if not one UFA and maybe one internal.

If they are going to spend money on that top-6 C I personally prefer Soderberg over Vermette.

I'm hoping that the O'Reilly return is top-4 D + RW prospect/youngster

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not convinced Oduya would be better in a top line role. If he is, it wouldn't be by much.

For the sake of discussion, who are the other UFA's out there that are clear better options than Hejda in a top line role?

Martin, Oduya, Beauchemin, Ehrhoff, Boychuck, Sekera, Michalek, and Green all all potential UFAs that are better defensemen than Hejda. Some wouldn't be great signings (IE Green who will cost way too much), and some others will get signed before UFA. Still, there are options for that spot.

Beyond that, the Avs could take the approach of trading ROR for a defensemen like Yandle and go out and sign a top 6 winger like Beleskey or keep MacK at wing and sign a Vermette/Soderberg.

IMO keeping Hejda around is nothing but a crutch and fallback.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Personally I'd like to see a Hejda-Stuart third pairing. Have them out there with a legitimate energy/checking line to just crunch and punish.

Neither of them are doing much crunching or punishing. I think Stuart is just doing what he's told and focusing more on blocking than hitting, but Hejda has been avoiding hard contact for a while. I still think he's hurt.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
One thing about the Methot signing... I wouldn't be surprised if Wiercioch is on his way out. He would be a good player to target in a non-ROR deal.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
One thing about the Methot signing... I wouldn't be surprised if Wiercioch is on his way out. He would be a good player to target in a non-ROR deal.

Eh, not sure. He is a slightly better skating version of Holden. Not sure where he would fit in with all the others we have in that group.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Martin, Oduya, Beauchemin, Ehrhoff, Boychuck, Sekera, Michalek, and Green all all potential UFAs that are better defensemen than Hejda. Some wouldn't be great signings (IE Green who will cost way too much), and some others will get signed before UFA. Still, there are options for that spot.

Beyond that, the Avs could take the approach of trading ROR for a defensemen like Yandle and go out and sign a top 6 winger like Beleskey or keep MacK at wing and sign a Vermette/Soderberg.

IMO keeping Hejda around is nothing but a crutch and fallback.

Those are all guys that I mentioned though.

My reasoning was the Pens are likely keeping at least one of Martin/Ehrhoff, and Ehrhoff turned down the Avs for a better shot a the cup after the Avs had a successful season. Seems like an even tougher sell after this year. Boychuk very well could stay with the Isles given how good a fit he's been, and their resurgent season. I'm not convinced the aging Oduya, Beauchemin, or Michalek are any better than Hejda, especially given the latter two are starting to have injuries creep into their game, and Hejda seems virtually indestructible.

To me they're mostly pinning their UFA hopes on signing one of Martin or Sekera, which is an iffy proposition at this point. Both could re-sign with their current or traded to teams, which may not be the Avs at this point. They have the ROR trade as an option, but who knows how that will play out as we see the options dwindling.

Also, they need a top defenseman with the lineup as it is now. Removing their only top pairing capable defender outside of EJ just means they need to add two quality top four defenseman. A fairly tall order given they haven't really been able to add one in the last four years.

Stuart's probably the guy that's closest to being capable. The other D men they've brought in during the last four years are Holden, Guenin, Benoit, Sarich, Zanon, ROB, SOB, and Hunwick. I'd take Hejda over any of those guys.

I don't see any reason to believe the Avs will make any less of an effort to bring in a top D man with Hejda re-signed. They're not dumb, they know how big a problem it is. If they kick out that crutch with Hejda, they're taking a risk they'll just fall flat on their face.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Those are all guys that I mentioned though.

My reasoning was the Pens are likely keeping at least one of Martin/Ehrhoff, and Ehrhoff turned down the Avs for a better shot a the cup after the Avs had a successful season. Seems like an even tougher sell after this year. Boychuk very well could stay with the Isles given how good a fit he's been, and their resurgent season. I'm not convinced the aging Oduya, Beauchemin, or Michalek are any better than Hejda, especially given the latter two are starting to have injuries creep into their game, and Hejda seems virtually indestructible.

To me they're mostly pinning their hopes on signing one of Martin or Sekera, which is an iffy proposition at this point. Both could re-sign with their current or traded to teams, which may not be the Avs at this point.

Also, they need a top defenseman with the lineup as it is now. Removing their only top pairing capable defender outside of EJ just means they need to add two quality top four defenseman. A fairly tall order given they haven't really been able to add one in the last four years.

Stuart's probably the guy that's closest to being capable. The other D men they've brought in during the last four years are Holden, Guenin, Benoit, Sarich, Zanon, ROB, SOB, and Hunwick. I'd take Hejda over any of those guys.

I don't see any reason to believe the Avs will make any less of an effort to bring in a top D man with Hejda re-signed. They're not dumb, they know how big a problem it is. If they kick out that crutch with Hejda, they're taking a risk they'll just fall flat on their face.

I never said you didn't mention them, just said there were a lot of options and there are. Beyond signings, the Avs have a great trade chip in ROR. They can find a defensemen to fill that role after Hejda is gone.

I think part of the reason the Avs have never pulled the trigger on certain trades is that they have felt they didn't need to pay more since they already had Hejda in the lineup. If Hejda wasn't here, I'd guess that Kulikov would have been here for a while now. Basically, up until now, they have been afforded the luxury of being patient with Hejda almost 37 and a UFA... that time is over.

Part of the reason Hejda looks as good as he does is he mostly plays with EJ. With the way EJ has played over the past couple seasons, he can carry a pairing.

Eh, not sure. He is a slightly better skating version of Holden. Not sure where he would fit in with all the others we have in that group.

He is a low risk-high reward type. He wouldn't cost a terrible amount, but has top 4 upside.

Honestly, if Holden could skate like Wiercioch, he wouldn't be a half bad player.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
A Wiercioch trade has been rumoured for some time now. Yesterday Dreger said he's playing over Borowiecki because they're trying to showcase him.

He wouldn't bad depending on the price but I think he's another bottom pairing guy for now. Maybe he could be a #4 if he puts it together?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Mine is pretty close.

Tanguay - Duchene - Iginla
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Atkinson
McGinn - Eller - Everberg
McLeod - Mitchell - Winchester
Bordeleau

Sekera - Erik Johnson
Beaulieu - Barrie
Holden - Stuart
Redmond, Elliott

Varlamov
Pickard

Although I have a bad feeling about McGinn.

If we get Sekera I'd hope we focus on getting the best forward for ROR we can, so I'd prefer ROR+3rd for JVR+2nd.

Tangs - Dutchy - Iggy
Landy - MacK - JVR
McG - Malkin - Rendo
EVB - Winch - Cody/Talbs

Sekera - EJ
Stuart/Holden - Barrie
Stuart/Holden/Siemens - Redmond/Elliott/Noreau/Holden

Varly
Berra/Picks

Grab the best forward out there with our first so we have that new kid and bleackley percolating to replace tangs and iggy, and watch Dunk conquer an NHL job next season with Bigras following him the year after. 2-3 years down the line we'd have

Landy - MacK - JVR
2015 first - Dutchy - Bleackley
McG - Malkin - Rendo
EVB - Winch/Henley - Smith/Bourke

Sekera - EJ
Siemens - Barrie
Bigras - Redmond/Butcher/Holden
*Gaertsen - Wood* AHL top pairing

Varly
Picks/Martin/Aitto/Will/Plooshy2

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Honestly, if Holden could skate like Wiercioch, he wouldn't be a half bad player.
I don't think Wiercioch is a better skater than Holden, to be honest. He is a much better passer and on the PP, but he's still got holes in his game. I'd probably pass. He's a lot like Elliott, where you think if he can put on muscle, maybe he'd be tougher in the defensive zone, but at the age he's at, maybe he just is who he is.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think Wiercioch is a better skater than Holden, to be honest. He is a much better passer and on the PP, but he's still got holes in his game. I'd probably pass. He's a lot like Elliott, where you think if he can put on muscle, maybe he'd be tougher in the defensive zone, but at the age he's at, maybe he just is who he is.

Wiercioch has much better lateral agility and edgework... is he good in either of those categories? No, but much better than Holden (it really isn't saying much, FTR I think Wiercioch is an average skater when you take into account his size). Top end speed they are roughly similar... that isn't what I worry about in a defensemen though.

I'd agree he is a lot like Elliott. You want him to be more than he is, and likely will never get there. If the price isn't high, I think he is easily worth the risk.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Are we talking about Oduya as one of the additions to the defense or as the guy to play with EJ? Please tell me it's not the latter.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
You know things are bad when we're comparing two players who, at their very best, are #7 Defensemen. :laugh:

As for free agent targets, if the Ducks don't re-up Beauchemin, there's no doubt in my mind that Sakic and Roy sign him to play with EJ. It's just way too perfect of a fit. An older vet guy with Cup/playoff experience that can still play top-4 minutes.

Oh and also he's french. :sarcasm:

They'll give him a 4-5 year deal at 4.5-5M and call it an offseason and everyone here will be so angry.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
You know things are bad when we're comparing two players who, at their very best, are #7 Defensemen. :laugh:

As for free agent targets, if the Ducks don't re-up Beauchemin, there's no doubt in my mind that Sakic and Roy sign him to play with EJ. It's just way too perfect of a fit. An older vet guy with Cup/playoff experience that can still play top-4 minutes.

They'll give him a 4-5 year deal at 4.5-5M and call it an offseason and everyone here will be so angry.

Really stepping out on a limb with that. :laugh:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Maybe the Avs left side-right side preference is not left shot right shot, but 35+ player and 26 and under player.

Could be a result of Sakic-Roy interplay. Sakic wants grizzled veterans, Roy wants speed and french-canadianness. :sarcasm:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Beauchemin could be a solid addition on a short-term deal. Maybe as Barrie's partner on the second pairing. He'll be 35 this summer though so you'd have to be very careful with that contract. Would have been much better if we didn't already have an older guy making some decent money on a multi-year deal.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Gabrielle T-F ‏@gabrielletf 13h13 hours ago Moscow, Russia
Russian government decrees to limit the number of foreign athletes in the country. Expect mass exodus of foreign KHLers after the season.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
God NO on Oduya. Such an overrated player. He is an average #4. Hjalmy is absolutely anchoring that pairing. He panics with the puck and is not that great defensively. We can do so much better if we strike out on Sekera or other top notch FA D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad