Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I can't explain how much I've loved Bigras, but anyone pencilling him onto the top pairing next season just isn't being realistic, or doesn't want this team to bounce back into the post season next year. Hejda will get replaced by someone through trade or FA, Barrie will play with Holden or Stuart, the other will play next to one of Redmond/Siemens/Elliott/Noreau/Guenin/Bigras, with Siemens and Bigras likely both starting off with the monsters before Dunk gets a chance in the first half of the season and Bigras maybe gets one in the second half.

That's how our defense will look next year unless things get really crazy. The question is who that Hejda-replacement will be.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Oduya should be added to that list.

IMO there are a lot of better options out there than Hejda for next season. Keeping him around is only a crutch at this point.

I'm not convinced Oduya would be better in a top line role. If he is, it wouldn't be by much.

For the sake of discussion, who are the other UFA's out there that are clear better options than Hejda in a top line role?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Even if Bigras is ready, I doubt we throw him to the wolves on the first pairing. Balanced pairings or not, EJ's line will take those tough minutes. You could swap Bigras and Hejda, but I don't know that you'd want 20 year old Bigras to have to be the defensively responsible partner of a pairing.

If we trade for Yandle, we'll pay him. $7m is a lot, but considering our need, it makes sense. We can afford to overpay if it would finally fix the defense.

My reasoning when I pencil Bigras into a possible role with EJ, is that it doesn't necessarily have to be viewed as a "top pairing" off the bat the way EJ's pairing does now with a bunch of crap below it. In a much more balanced lineup, there's much less pressure for it to be a "top line."

As the season goes, they can evaluate how Bigras is handling his role, and if it's similar to a TJ Brodie or Jonas Brodin at a young age and he looks comfortable, they can start giving that combo more responsibility. If not, they can re-shuffle the lines a bit.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Ill post this again, how is it going to be any different than this?

X-EJ
Stuart-Barrie
Holden-Redmond
Y-Guenin

At best it could be

X-EJ
X-Barrie
Holden-Stuart
Guenin-Redmond

Then no kids are making the team, which is fine if they really do go out and get two top 4 D. In any event keeping Hejda doesn't put him on the third pairing.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I can't explain how much I've loved Bigras, but anyone pencilling him onto the top pairing next season just isn't being realistic, or doesn't want this team to bounce back into the post season next year. Hejda will get replaced by someone through trade or FA, Barrie will play with Holden or Stuart, the other will play next to one of Redmond/Siemens/Elliott/Noreau/Guenin/Bigras, with Siemens and Bigras likely both starting off with the monsters before Dunk gets a chance in the first half of the season and Bigras maybe gets one in the second half.

That's how our defense will look next year unless things get really crazy. The question is who that Hejda-replacement will be.

I really like how Holden and Stuart look as a pair. I would like to see them as the 3rd pair next year. If I was the GM I would be looking to find D partners for Johnson and Barrie next year. One you get via the almost certain O'Reilly trade (or with some of the assets you get in that deal) the other is a FA -- or perhaps is Hejda re-signed to a 2 year deal if Colorado does not trade him or tries to bring him back after trading him at the deadline.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Then no kids are making the team, which is fine if they really do go out and get two top 4 D. In any event keeping Hejda doesn't put him on the third pairing.

I think Holden could lose out on his spot in camp if he starts as poorly as he did this year again and Bigras or Siemens impress. Holden does not make enough to be a "you have to play him" contract and the Avs almost certainly could demote Guenin or Redmond with no risk of someone claiming them.

That said, if the Avs DO actually get upgrades to Barrie and Johnson's partners, then it would take a very impressive camp to do so.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Ill post this again, how is it going to be any different than this?

X-EJ
Stuart-Barrie
Holden-Redmond
Y-Guenin

At best it could be

X-EJ
X-Barrie
Holden-Stuart
Guenin-Redmond

I don't recall what your previous post was referring to, so I'm not sure what you mean here.

In talking about the possibility of acquiring Yandle, I posted this lineup. It has both a young kid in the lineup, and a new top 4 D. Then they either move one of Guenin, Holden, Redmond, or put one of them in the minors as the first callup. Both Guenin and Redmond would cost nothing cap wise in the minors, and are perfectly reasonable options to be sent down.

Bigras - EJ
Yandle - Stuart
Hejda - Barrie

Basically, you can draw up whatever lineup you hope the Avs can get by adding a UFA in the off-season or through an ROR trade. Then add Hejda to it for your first lineup. Then draw up the same lineup but with Guenin, Holden, or Redmond in it instead of Hejda. Then draw up a lineup that's missing both Hejda, and the UFA/Trade defenseman you were looking to add.

The latter is what they could be going into the summer with. The middle option is what they might end up with. The first option is clearly the best option IMO. Hejda's not going to keep them from adding a top D man, they know they have to do this.

Even if they swing and miss on a top D man like they've been doing, keeping Hejda helps them. No matter how you draw it up, the lineup is still better with Hejda in it, than without it because he's better than half their current lineup (Stuart, Guenin, Holden, and Redmond) who would be taking his place.

Last edited:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think we'll make one upgrade in our top 4, probably by trading ROR. That'll be it. Well roll with new guy, EJ, Stuart, Barrie, Holden, Guenin, and Redmond. A youngster could knock one of the last two out. Starting lines:

Stuart-EJ
New guy-Barrie
Holden-Redmond
Guenin

And thats gross. Better than we have now, but still gross. Unfortunately, long term it's probably smart. We could be competetive next year, but we won't be a contender. Siemens or Bigras will likely fill a top 4 role soon. They won't overpay for a UFA if they think help is on the way soon.

But, I sure hope Siemens or Bigras are ready now. If we added another actual top 4 defender to that group, it starts not to look so bad.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Can't be penciling in prospects to make the team this far out. Got to have real viable players for those roles. And if a prospect beats out those players, than moves can be made to get them into every day lineups.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Out of curiosity....isn't there a thought process that says moving a RD to LD can lead to increased offense but at a sacrifice of defense? If so wouldn't it make sense to try Barrie on LD with Stuart since Stuart seems so much more comfortable on the right side?

Say we trade ROR and Hejda for JJ and Atkinson.

JJ/Barrie-EJ
Barrie/JJ-Stuart
Holden-Redmond/Guenin

Not a top of the league d corpse by anymeans but it's gotta be much improved over what we currently have right?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Penciling Bigras into the lineup, as good as he may be, is premature given how much Roy has talked about wanting to develop players in the AHL.

Pencling Bigras into the lineup isn't saying he's for sure going to make the team though. It's a hypothetical roster. Him possibly not being ready, is one of the biggest reasons to keep Hejda around too.

A safer option would be this:

X - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Bigras - Stuart

or

X - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Holden - Stuart

or even

Trade - EJ
UFA - Barrie
Hejda - Stuart (with the option of trading Stuart and replacing him with Holden/Redmond)

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Personally I'd like to see a Hejda-Stuart third pairing. Have them out there with a legitimate energy/checking line to just crunch and punish.

I feel like the only energy created would be by the other teams offense blowing by them. I love Hejda but his partner better be quick. Same with Stuart.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
All I know is Nate Guenin better be buried in the minors next season along with Marc-Andre Cliche. Roy is delusional if he doesn't send those two boso's down there. Heck, get him to pluck two guys from this forum and invite em to training camp, probably be better than those two.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I don't think Bigras can come in this coming season, but he could replace one of Holden or Stuart the season after on pairing 2 or 3. Normally I'd want Holden banished but his play has improved quite a bit lately.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
All I know is Nate Guenin better be buried in the minors next season along with Marc-Andre Cliche. Roy is delusional if he doesn't send those two boso's down there. Heck, get him to pluck two guys from this forum and invite em to training camp, probably be better than those two.

I have a good amount of faith that Cliche is done. I doubt he even makes the off-season chopping block. Guenin though, who knows.

member 116861

This is what I want to see

Tanguay - Duchene - Iginla
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Atkinson
McGinn - Matthias - Everberg
McLeod - Mitchell - Winchester
Bordeleau

Jack Johnson - Erik Johnson
Hejda - Barrie
Holden - Stuart
Redmond, Elliott

Varlamov
Pickard

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

That's wishful thinking that I'll believe when I see. As 13th forward, 8th D is probably the best we can hope for.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

Bordeleau

Hejda - Barrie
Holden - Stuart
Redmond, Elliott

Varlamov
Pickard

I like your forwards but the D is a bit of a mess. Hejda is too old at this point. Holden and Stuart on the same pairing is a recipe for disaster. Redmond needs to play, he's great but being overused on the top pairing right now.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That's wishful thinking that I'll believe when I see. As 13th forward, 8th D is probably the best we can hope for.

Not really. I'd be happy with Noreau up here as the 8th D and ANY of the players Roy called up this season as the 13th forward. Seriously. Cliche probably isn't even a top-6 forward in the AHL, and might struggle to crack a top-9 on a team loaded with prospects. Call up Heard and make him the 13th forward for the lolz

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

Bordeleau

Hejda - Barrie
Holden - Stuart
Redmond, Elliott

Varlamov
Pickard

Mine is pretty close.

McGinn - Eller - Everberg
Bordeleau

Sekera - Erik Johnson
Beaulieu - Barrie
Holden - Stuart
Redmond, Elliott

Varlamov
Pickard

Although I have a bad feeling about McGinn.

member 116861

I like your forwards but the D is a bit of a mess. Hejda is too old at this point. Holden and Stuart on the same pairing is a recipe for disaster. Redmond needs to play, he's great but being overused on the top pairing right now.

Holden and Stuart have been pretty decent together in my opinion but yeah Redmond could easily sub for either of them. I don't agree that Hejda is too old at this point. The guy can still play plus Barrie is his perfect partner and he is the perfect partner for Barrie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad