Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Continue

[Previous posts to get this one started]

Hmm. So, ROR + Barrie + Aitto/Will for Myers + Stafford + Armia + Lemieux + late 1st?

I think for me this deal falls apart at Stafford. Swap him for Foligno and I'd strongly consider it. That late 1st could then be flipped for Sekera.

Does the asking price for ROR go up with the trade today?

One thing I'll say in Berra's defense--James Reimer's season went in the toilet in Toronto after he got concussed. Maybe Berra can bounce back as well. Maybe. If not, at least there's a fallback plan that looks even better.

Probably not into the season. Maybe the goal was to get noticed and then move over next season?

I'm not sure why there are people speculating on what @TheHockeyChat tweets out but whatever floats your boat.

Oh, right the season had started. Yeah probably not the best timing. I think that has to be the plan, since what on Earth are you doing in Norway otherwise?

If I pretend that it didn't happen maybe Condon'll reappear, like Vincour did...*sigh*

Shame, cause I really loved his speed and PK-instincts, and was excited to see him, Henley and Heard playing on a grinding line together for the monsters at some point next season...assuming I'll have the time to watch them regularly again next season.

fwiw, murray said foligno is 'untouchable'. along with reinhart, risto and zadorov.

Agreed. Not reliable at all. However, I'm all for anything that shifts the discussion away from what trade we've won/lost in the last year or so.

No reason to assume Barrie was involved. I'd be pretty surprised if the Avs considered moving him and that might have been part of the holdup, Buffalo getting a stronger offer from Winnipeg than the Avs.

Too bad too, since Buffalo hardly got a great deal.

Would be super pissed if Colorado pulled the trigger on a deal like that.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
cgf said:
On the Right: If you consider that we have EJ and Barrie nailed into the first two RHD spots, we've got a pretty good set up on that side of the defense already.
I don't know for sure if the Avs have Barrie nailed into that 2nd pairing spot. I'm not so sure myself either. I know he needs a much better partner, but I don't know if I want that guy going up against 2nd line players and being our 2nd pairing guy behind EJ. I think that's part of the reason the Myers rumors came up, because it would push Barrie down to the 3rd pairing, where he can still play a lot late in games where we're down or on the PP but be heavily sheltered.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think the Jets did very well right now but I still don't know how to feel about it overall. A lot of Sabres fans are freaking out but it could be good for both sides. If everyone is healthy and reaches their potential, isn't it fair to say the Sabres got the two best players in the deal? Health is a concern for both Kane and Bogosian but there's also no guarantee those prospects become impact players.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I think the Jets did very well right now but I still don't know how to feel about it overall. A lot of Sabres fans are freaking out but it could be good for both sides. If everyone is healthy and reaches their potential, isn't it fair to say the Sabres got the two best players in the deal? Health is a concern for both Kane and Bogosian but there's also no guarantee those prospects become impact players.

i think sabres fans overrate myers.

on what he is now, not potential.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Is it just me or did buffalo get ripped off. Begosions good but I think oreilly is better than both kane and begosion. If it was the sabres not up for trading myers for orielly straight up im surprised after the deal they just made. Lets face it the jets hated kane so much they couldn't wait to trade him. That says something about his value. Buffalo sure gave up a lot for one good player and a question mark.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Would love to see Armia do well in WPG. Buffalo had a lot of depth in the organization so it's a good move for him for sure.

Oh and hey, who was that Swede (I assume) who we were rumored to have interest in? Some beer leaguer. I forgot and would like to Google him.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
So buffalo/Jets pull of the Stewart/ej trade. Franchise changing trade but like the ej trade I think it ends up being less than expected. Hard to say who's a winner but for now I'd say sabres seeing how Kane can be a great player when he isn't being an idiot which rarely is the case.

In the end we have to wait and see how wins out. Can Myers or bogo put it all together? can kane act like an adult?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I'd agree with that. The issues with Buffalo's side is that they are taking a pretty big risk AND giving up a lot to take that risk. If Armia and the 1st were not in the deal, it would probably be pretty fair considering the health and attitude risk they are taking. With that risk they overpaid... at least from an outside perspective. It seems pretty clear though that Myers didn't have the value that people were claiming. Murray was not dealing with a strong hand.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Another aspect of the trade is that neither of the main pieces were these GMs guys. It's always like this. GMs like the guys they brought in and will be very patient. The guys of the previous regime? They are much more likely to be traded and the GM is much less patient with flaws.

We like to think it's a rational business, but there is a lot of emotions involved.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Another aspect of the trade is that neither of the main pieces were these GMs guys. It's always like this. GMs like the guys they brought in and will be very patient. The guys of the previous regime? They are much more likely to be traded and the GM is much less patient with flaws.

We like to think it's a rational business, but there is a lot of emotions involved.

Also, they don't look bad giving up on someone they never acquired in the first place.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Yeah ROR and Barrie beats out Kane and Bogo by quite a bit
I mean if you are entertaining the idea of trading Barrie, do it separate of ROR

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
They didn't trade ROR + Barrie for the package that Winnipeg got?

I guess. :dunno:

We have no idea what (if anything) was on the table or how the Sabres even feel about our players. It's possible they value Kane and Bogosian a lot more than O'Reilly and Barrie. Just a strange thing to be angry about.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Yeah ROR and Barrie beats out Kane and Bogo by quite a bit
I mean if you are entertaining the idea of trading Barrie, do it separate of ROR

ROR, the player that 50% of posters say needs to be traded and will only be here another year and a half?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's a combination of what they haven't done mixed with what they have done. Do I really need to recap it for you?

I was just curious if something new happened. I've made it pretty clear I don't like our defense and something needs to be done there but there's time. We have the deadline, draft, and offseason to go. If they haven't improved the defense by then, I think that's when we can seriously start to question management. I don't understand why people are getting fired up over some BS twitter rumour of an Avs/Sabres trade.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
We just have to face it that all of our deals through the 2000's involving draft picks coupled with Pracey's obsession of drafting undersized centers has left our prospect pool in a lackluster state. Because of that, we just don't really have the assets to move in order to make these sorts of deals. We are going to have to allow some time (3-5 years) before our farm system finally becomes stocked again to where we can be truly competitive. That is just the reality of it. We are going in the right direction by holding onto and drafting our new talents as well as looking overseas but it takes time to develop a farm system like Detroit or Tampa or Winnepeg.

IMO, we just need to stay the course and see how our draft picks start developing and then mix in some vets and trades.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's a combination of what they haven't done mixed with what they have done. Do I really need to recap it for you?

They haven't traded O'Reilly yet but it's a mistake because we haven't alleviated our boredom, given us a distraction or rearranged the deck chairs some more.

The O'Reilly trade will set the course of the franchise. They kinda have to pull the trigger when it's right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad