Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I would love it, but I would doubt that we are going to see Barrie, Redmond and Elliott in the lineup at the same time.
I think we will see it, because I think they'll go 7 defensemen. The Avs schedule over the next week or two is pretty spread out. It makes sense to double shift someone on the 4th line if you have too. It's not like we have a defenseman we want out there a ton.

I don't think he got called up to sit.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Okay. He better be in the lineup then. Would love to see what he can do.

Also, I doubt we'll get MacKinnon locked up this offseason. I think we all know he can be better that what he's shown this year, but it would be tough to pay him ppg money when his best year is only 63 points. If he bounces back next year and has 70+ points he'll get his long term $7+ deal. If he doesn't, he probably takes a bridge.

I think we'll have EJ signed by the start of next season. I see no reason not to. Pay the man.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Okay. He better be in the lineup then. Would love to see what he can do.

Also, I doubt we'll get MacKinnon locked up this offseason. I think we all know he can be better that what he's shown this year, but it would be tough to pay him ppg money when his best year is only 63 points. If he bounces back next year and has 70+ points he'll get his long term $7+ deal. If he doesn't, he probably takes a bridge.

I think we'll have EJ signed by the start of next season. I see no reason not to. Pay the man.

If they could, I'd try locking up MacKinnon to something like 6x6 or 6x6.5 or something along those lines, get him locked up early like Tavares and Landeskog

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think we will see it, because I think they'll go 7 defensemen. The Avs schedule over the next week or two is pretty spread out. It makes sense to double shift someone on the 4th line if you have too. It's not like we have a defenseman we want out there a ton.

I don't think he got called up to sit.

With Elliott called up, I think you're probably right. He didn't get called up to sit, and they'll likely go with 7 D. They can't take Guenin out, because they don't have enough PKers, and Holden scored a goal last game. Given how he's treated Redmond he might sit though despite playing ok last game.

Cliche might be a good bet to sit up front though too in addition to Briere. He's been terrible lately, including on the PK, which is the only reason he's in the lineup really. Talbot might switch to center again.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Are you telling me he is dealing from a position of strength with Stewart, Hodgson, and Myers? I could see an argument for Myers, but I wouldn't consider his position strong. It is a big contract for a kid that has underperformed for a while, and is now coming around. With Stewart, Murray overplayed his hand and it is now costing him. Hodgson has a terrible contract and neither party wants to be around each other much longer. Stafford isn't as valuable as he was last year. Moulson has a bad contract, so he can't really rid himself of that deal. Outside of the players he is building around (the ones he isn't going to trade), Murray isn't dealing from a position of strength.

Yep... teams really don't like having to comment on these things.

With Myers? Yes... he is for sure dealing from a position of strength. Signed long term to a solid contract, playing his best hockey and has no desire to trade him. I don't think you can get in a much stronger position.

With Hodgson? ... Hodgson isn't moving. He has a bad contract right now , isn't producing and is horrible defensively. There hasn't even been rumors about Hodgson.

With Stewart? ... Stewart was worth what before the year? A second? .. He's probably worth a 3rd right now. He's in a position of strength with Stewart right now because he is in no hurry to trade him.. He'll get what he can get for Stewart at the trade deadline and that will be that unless a team wants to entice him to trade earlier.

With Stafford? .. Same thing.. he'll end up getting a 2nd or so for Staff.

He already stated he's going to get something for his UFA's .. even if he has to get an undervalued return. Which is fine since our UFA's are not going to garner anything spectacular.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
This is probably Elliott's last chance to make an impression on the club.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If they could, I'd try locking up MacKinnon to something like 6x6 or 6x6.5 or something along those lines, get him locked up early like Tavares and Landeskog

That would be absolutely fine by me, but I have a feeling MacKinnon knows he's going to be worth more in very short order.

If we can get in at $6.5 or less, sign him for 8 years.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
This is probably Elliott's last chance to make an impression on the club.

That would be next year's training camp I think. But the competition should be better because hopefully we will have improved the d-situation by then, with EJ, Barrie, Redmond, Guenin signed he's likely going to have to beat out one of the latter for a spot on the team.

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
That would be absolutely fine by me, but I have a feeling MacKinnon knows he's going to be worth more in very short order.

If we can get in at $6.5 or less, sign him for 8 years.

MacK for 8 years @ <$50M would be nice, but if he doesn't rebound next year then I think a 2 year @ <$6M would be fair enough...

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
He needs a contract for that. Don't know right now where he's going to stand in that regard.

If he wants a one way deal, he's going to have to earn it between now and the end of the season. I just hope they give him the chance, I still picture this guy making it in the NHL sooner or later, and hope it's with the Avs if they give him all the time necessary.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
With Myers? Yes... he is for sure dealing from a position of strength. Signed long term to a solid contract, playing his best hockey and has no desire to trade him. I don't think you can get in a much stronger position.

With Hodgson? ... Hodgson isn't moving. He has a bad contract right now , isn't producing and is horrible defensively. There hasn't even been rumors about Hodgson.

With Stewart? ... Stewart was worth what before the year? A second? .. He's probably worth a 3rd right now. He's in a position of strength with Stewart right now because he is in no hurry to trade him.. He'll get what he can get for Stewart at the trade deadline and that will be that unless a team wants to entice him to trade earlier.

With Stafford? .. Same thing.. he'll end up getting a 2nd or so for Staff.

He already stated he's going to get something for his UFA's .. even if he has to get an undervalued return. Which is fine since our UFA's are not going to garner anything spectacular.

There's no way he's dealing from a position of strength with Stewart. Nobody wants to take a chance on him, and Murray's on record as not wanting to lose pending FA's for nothing.

Hodgson is signed for four more years at $4.25M, and is on pace for 12 points this year.

Those situations do not put you in a position of strength.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
There's no way he's dealing from a position of strength with Stewart. Nobody wants to take a chance on him, and Murray's on record as not wanting to lose pending FA's for nothing.

Hodgson is signed for four more years at $4.25M, and is on pace for 12 points this year.

Those situations do not put you in a position of strength.

I suggest you read again. I said Murray is in a position of strength with Stewart based on he can just wait for the deadline .. there is no rush to make a trade. Strength or no strength Stewart will garner a 3rd or so .. It's so insignificant it's not even worth arguing over.

You pretty much repeated what I said about Hodgson ... never said he was in a position of strength with Hodgson because there is no market for Hodgson .. he's virtually untradeable at the moment.

The only one I argued he was in a true position of strength is Myers .. which is not surprising considering he doesn't have to or want to trade Myers.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think this is Elliott's Brad Malone chance. Either he shows enough for Avs to bring him back as a NHLer next year, or he'll be gone over the summer. Either via a minor trade or Avs simply not offering him a new contract.

Roy doesn't seem all that high on him, just as he's not really been all that high on any of the old regime's guys. That's usually how it goes.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Only way for him to show anything is if Roy actually gives him a chance. I don't know if Malone/Hishon deserved a bigger role and more minutes (probably not) but there was no way they were going to succeed with what Roy was giving them.

Elliott should get a bunch of offensive zone starts and PP time.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I suggest you read again. I said Murray is in a position of strength with Stewart based on he can just wait for the deadline .. there is no rush to make a trade. Strength or no strength Stewart will garner a 3rd or so .. It's so insignificant it's not even worth arguing over.

You pretty much repeated what I said about Hodgson ... never said he was in a position of strength with Hodgson because there is no market for Hodgson .. he's virtually untradeable at the moment.

The only one I argued he was in a true position of strength is Myers .. which is not surprising considering he doesn't have to or want to trade Myers.

When you quoted the person who said Myers was the only one of those players he might be in a position of strength with, and broke down each player's situation, it sounded like you were disagreeing with that notion.

In regards to Stewart, I don't see how being able to wait another month to move him puts Murray in a position of strength, but maybe your interpretation of that phrase is different from mine. He'll still be in a take whatever he can get mode, hoping someone takes him off his hands.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
What was that rule that made Malone a UFA earlier than he would have been?

I think it was this....

(c) Group 6 Free Agents.

(i) Means any Player who is age 25 or older who has completed three (3) or
more professional seasons, whose SPC has expired and: (i) in the case of a
Player other than a goaltender, has played less than 80 NHL Games, or (ii)
in the case of a goaltender, has played less than 28 NHL Games (for the
purpose of this definition, a goaltender must have played a minimum of
thirty (30) minutes in an NHL Game to register a game played). For the
purposes of the foregoing, the term professional season shall: (A) for a
Player aged 18 or 19, mean any season in which such Player plays in
eleven (11) or more Professional Games (including NHL Regular Season
and Playoff Games, minor league regular season and playoff games, and
games played in any European professional league, while under an SPC),
and (B) for a Player aged 20 or older, mean any season in which such
Player plays in one or more Professional Games (including NHL Regular
Season and Playoff Games, minor league regular season and playoff
games, and games played in any European professional league, while
under an SPC).

(ii) Any Group 6 Player shall, at the expiration of his SPC, become an
Unrestricted Free Agent and shall be completely free to negotiate and sign
an SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate
and sign an SPC with such Player, without penalty or restriction, or being
subject to any Right of First Refusal, Draft Choice Compensation or any
other compensation or equalization obligation of any kind.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
So when you quoted the poster who said out of Stewart, Hodgson, and Myers, the latter was the only one Murray might be in a position of strength with, you weren't disagreeing?

In regards to Stewart, I don't see how being able to wait another month to move him puts Murray in a position of strength, but maybe your interpretation of that phrase is different from mine. He'll still be in a take whatever he can get mode, hoping someone takes him off his hands.

I was in disagreement with the posters position that Murrays comments were spin to make it sound like he was in a position of strength.

I was in disagreement about Hodgson because there are no rumors of him being traded...and there is no market for him so it's pointless to even bring him up. Same with Moulson ... he just signed a contract long term ..he's not being moved.

The UFA's (Stewart,Stafford,Mitchell) as of now he is in a position of strength because there is no hurry to move them ..he doesn't have to take whatever teams are offering right now. They'll all get basic deadline returns. Rumors show multiple teams as showing interest in Stewart .. so right now he can demand a higher price ..if a team is desperate they might pay a higher price. If they aren't ..he deals him on deadline day for most likely something around a 3rd. Same goes with Stafford tho i think he brings back a 2nd at the least. Mitchell will probably go for a 4th or 5th.

As far as Myers goes he is absolutely dealing in a position of strength .. it couldn't be stronger. The only way he will be dealt is if he absolutely loves the return and it is centered around a piece he loves.

About the only moves he might have trouble with is our goalies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad