Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
ROR should make about 6M per year based on his statistics. He has a fairly fair contract right now and unless he takes it up a notch someone is going to overpay drastically for this player because you know someone (looking at the Maple Leafs right now) will pay 7.5M plus for him on the open market.

Therein lies the problem with the whole situation.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Thornton is such a dominating personality, it wasn't possible. The reason he was traded is because Bergeron and Chara has championship habits and they didn't think Thornton had.

Boston knew how skilled Thornton is. Just like they know how skilled Kessel/Seguin are. They have their view of how a team is built and they've gone all in.

Now they of course may have gone too far and the team is so depleted on skill that they don't have a chance of winning.

they couldn't have known that they would be able to sign chara when they traded thornton.

they ****ed up that trade pretty bad too.

Eh, I disagree on Thornton. Dominating personality? Yes, but he's a team guy. Gets too much flak from fans around the league for playoff failures when he's performed very well throughout his career

he definitely has refused to adapt his game in few areas and though he's had good playoff performances, they haven't consistenly been what one would expect from player as talented as him.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Therein lies the problem with the whole situation.

Exactly, this is why the Avs need to move him ASAP, because we know that we aren't going to shell out that kind of money for a player not worth that kind of money. Not in a million years, cut your losses and find someone willing to take a gamble on the player leaving them in 1.5 years for a huge payday.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Spin, spin, spin as well. Try to make it look like you are not dealing from a position of weakness. All PR at this point... but he and other GMs have a point about the fill time on TSN. :nod:

And all he really says it doesn't come from him, he doesn't deny that it's come up. :laugh: Just like the Avs "we are not trying to trade O'Reilly, he plays 20 minutes a night!"

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Hmm, if it has in fact been pretty quiet, I have a feeling that shortly after sending 3 guys to Buffalo, management must have Kulikov'd the Myers deal.

I find it kind of strange that they don't panic and slightly overpay for a young, top-4 d-man but they'll panic and grossly overpay for Reto ****ing Berra because they were outbid in the Ben Scrivens Sweepstakes.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
he's dealing from position of weakness because..?

Are you telling me he is dealing from a position of strength with Stewart, Hodgson, and Myers? I could see an argument for Myers, but I wouldn't consider his position strong. It is a big contract for a kid that has underperformed for a while, and is now coming around. With Stewart, Murray overplayed his hand and it is now costing him. Hodgson has a terrible contract and neither party wants to be around each other much longer. Stafford isn't as valuable as he was last year. Moulson has a bad contract, so he can't really rid himself of that deal. Outside of the players he is building around (the ones he isn't going to trade), Murray isn't dealing from a position of strength.

And all he really says it doesn't come from him, he doesn't deny that it's come up. :laugh: Just like the Avs "we are not trying to trade O'Reilly, he plays 20 minutes a night!"

Yep... teams really don't like having to comment on these things.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

murray has been consistent about few things since he got the job.

- he hasn't shopped myers and few others

- he's willing to listen on anyone. 'we're on last place, everyone is available'.

- if some GM wants to talk about or make an offer about player X, he'll listen. it's his job to do so. if the offer makes his team better, he's willing to do it.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Are you telling me he is dealing from a position of strength with Stewart, Hodgson, and Myers? I could see an argument for Myers, but I wouldn't consider his position strong. It is a big contract for a kid that has underperformed for a while, and is now coming around. With Stewart, Murray overplayed his hand and it is now costing him. Hodgson has a terrible contract and neither party wants to be around each other much longer. Stafford isn't as valuable as he was last year. Moulson has a bad contract, so he can't really rid himself of that deal. Outside of the players he is building around (the ones he isn't going to trade), Murray isn't dealing from a position of strength.

Yep... teams really don't like having to comment on these things.

he only talked about myers there, so i thought it was only about him. murray can be patient with him and doesn't have to deal him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
he only talked about myers there, so i thought it was only about him. murray can be patient with him and doesn't have to deal him.

He was talking about all the rumors in general though... I think Myers only got mentioned specifically because he has been the focus on TSN of late. He can take his time with Myers, but the iron is hot with him right now. This is the best he has played since his 2nd year in the league. There is a major risk if Myers regresses again. I don't consider that a strong position. Much stronger than last year at this time, but he isn't going to bend anybody over in a deal.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Hmm, if it has in fact been pretty quiet, I have a feeling that shortly after sending 3 guys to Buffalo, management must have Kulikov'd the Myers deal.

I find it kind of strange that they don't panic and slightly overpay for a young, top-4 d-man but they'll panic and grossly overpay for Reto ****ing Berra because they were outbid in the Ben Scrivens Sweepstakes.

They did panic because Jiggy looked like dog crap in that game vs LA and Aittokallio got concussed in practice.

I think O'Reilly deal has much more to do with the Avs deciding to pull the trigger or not. If they wanted to get it done they would have.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Speaking of Tyler Meyers, quick question for the folks that have liked the idea of the AVs getting him...

What would the defense look like with him next season?

Stuart - Johnson
Holden - Meyers
Guenin - Barrie
Redmond

It just doesn't make sense to me for the AVs to spend any money or assets on a RD.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
He was talking about all the rumors in general though... I think Myers only got mentioned specifically because he has been the focus on TSN of late. He can take his time with Myers, but the iron is hot with him right now. This is the best he has played since his 2nd year in the league. There is a major risk if Myers regresses again. I don't consider that a strong position. Much stronger than last year at this time, but he isn't going to bend anybody over in a deal.

any player could regress. he is not going to trade him if he doesn't bend over the other team in a deal. he played well last year too. he played when ruff tried to turn something he wasn't and after he was injured/fatigued during the lockout year. compared to us with ROR, he is definitely in stronger position.

would have to listen the interview to hear the full context.

stewart, he probably overplayed his hand.

he doesn't have to deal moulson. he'll score around the net when he has good players around him. he doesn't do much else and as the team sucks, he's not going to score. he just signed him last year and i think he has some NTC too. i don't think he has to or is even thinking about dealing him.

i don't get where you got that he's trying to make it look like he's not dealing from position of weakness.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm not saying he's on the same level but those 70 point seasons were in higher scoring years and I wouldn't give an individual credit for a Stanley cups that's a team thing which Ror hasn't been fortunate enough to play on a team as talented.

It doesn't matter, when you've battled through to the end, especially as a top player on the team, to win a Stanley Cup, that means something. You have that on your resume.

Not to mention Bergeron is always a great playoff performer, and put up 20 points in 23 games, to go along with shutdown defense, the year they won the cup. He was much more than a passenger in a team win.

Until O'Reilly's done the things Bergeron has, and been as consistently productive as Bergeron has, he can't really use him as an exact comparison just because they're similar players and he could help his team to a cup the way Bergeron has. He can use him as a model what he can get to one day, but he's not there yet.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Speaking of Tyler Meyers, quick question for the folks that have liked the idea of the AVs getting him...

What would the defense look like with him next season?

Stuart - Johnson
Holden - Meyers
Guenin - Barrie
Redmond

It just doesn't make sense to me for the AVs to spend any money or assets on a RD.

barrie or myers on the right side (probably barrie).

i agree LD is by far bigger need. stuart was tire-fire with EJ and is not going to be better next year.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Man, I want Myers on this team. If I was Sakic, I'd definitely know the cost. If theres a deal with ROR as the centerpiece, I'd find a way to make it work. Overpay by a bit if you have to. 3 top 4 defenders all core age would help this team immensely.

I'd still go after Sekera in the off season too. What an enormous turn around that would be.

Sekera-EJ
Barrie-Myers
Stuart-Redmond

Pretty solid. But even if we miss on Sekera, it isn't bad.

Myers-EJ
Stuart-Barrie
Siemens/Bigras/Holden-Redmond

Wouldn't it be nice if Siemens was ready for top 4 work next year.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

Really hoping Elliott gets a chance. Would be nice to have an extra PP unit.

Took me about 5 minutes to check the last game LE played to see that Noreau is out with an injury. Give me Chambers job.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
If you're going to call up a D at this point, call up Elliott. Stollery is what he is and that is an AHL defenseman. Elliott still has some potential at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad