Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXVIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Remember when I suggested Colorado sign Ribiero and everyone was worried about character issues?

Nashville is paying $1.05 million for 21 points in 25 games. :help:

And by the end of the year they'll be sick of dealing with all of the off ice headaches he brings. *shrug*

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
And by the end of the year they'll be sick of dealing with all of the off ice headaches he brings. *shrug*

The off ice headaches that have only been mentioned by one person in his 15 year career?

The Predators got a steal, a number-2 C for Cody McLeod money. Part of the reason they're in first.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
The off ice headaches that have only been mentioned by one person in his 15 year career?

The Predators got a steal, a number-2 C for Cody McLeod money. Part of the reason they're in first.

He would have been a terrible fit for the Avs.
So.. What is your point?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
He wouldn't have. My point is Nashville got a steal because they did not have tunnel vision.

Oh come on.
He would have been a terrible fit.
We have Mac / Duchene down the middle. Neither of them is good defensively. Ribeiro sucks defensively as well and is also pretty small.
We let Paulie go mainly because that is what we want to roll in the future down the middle. You do not let Stastny go and replace him with Ribeiro. You just don't.
He is the last guy we need.

This has nothing to do with tunnel vision. I am the first to call out our management when they screw up but in this case they did not.

Ribeiro was a terrible fit for this team and therefore not even close to worth the lockerroom headache he possibly brings.

There are many players that we missed out on that are worth pining for.
Ribeiro certainly is not one of them.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Oh come on.
He would have been a terrible fit.
We have Mac / Duchene down the middle. Neither of them is good defensively. Ribeiro sucks defensively as well and is also pretty small.
We let Paulie go mainly because that is what we want to roll in the future down the middle. You do not let Stastny go and replace him with Ribeiro. You just don't.
He is the last guy we need.

This has nothing to do with tunnel vision. I am the first to call out our management when they screw up but in this case they did not.

Ribeiro was a terrible fit for this team and therefore not even close to worth the lockerroom headache he possibly brings.

There are many players that we missed out that are worth pining for.
Ribeiro certainly is not one of them.

It has nothing to do with need. If you can add a 60 point player for fourth liner money, it is a good fit.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
It has nothing to do with need. If you can add a 60 point player for fourth liner money, it is a good fit.

He would not be a 60 point player with the start the Avs had to this season. Not close.

It has everything to do with need.
Why would you blame the Avs of all teams for not getting Ribeiro?
We did not need him at all. And he just was cut for essentially disrupting a lockerroom.
Why would we take such a risk?

Do you also blame the 28 other teams for not getting a 60 point player for free?

The whole NHL does not revolve around the Colorado Avalanche.
Nashville is a much better fit.
I don't care much about his production. Again. Terrible fit with the Avs.
There are so many reasons for criticizing our terrible last offseason.

Not getting Ribeiro is so not one of them...

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ

Well they talked about his off ice problems , way back when he was playing with MTL . That's the reason the Habs traded him , they were out of solution with Mike

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
He would not be a 60 point player with the start the Avs had to this season. Not close.

It has everything to do with need.
Why would you blame the Avs of all teams for not getting Ribeiro?
We did not need him at all. And he just was cut for essentially disrupting a lockerroom.
Why would we take such a risk?

Do you also blame the 28 other teams for not getting a 60 point player for free?

The whole NHL does not revolve around the Colorado Avalanche.
Nashville is a much better fit.
I don't care much about his production. Again. Terrible fit with the Avs.
There are so many reasons for criticizing our terrible last offseason.

Not getting Ribeiro is so not one of them...

You say one thing, the Avalanche's sub .500 record and 25th ranked power play say another.

You do realize an injury to the oft-injured John Mitchell has Michael Sgarbossa centering the Avalanche's third line tonight?

Last edited:

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Well they talked about his off ice problems , way back when he was playing with MTL . That's the reason the Habs traded him , they were out of solution with Mike

Were there public comments? He is obviously an agitator on the ice, and even admitted to personal problems after Maloney's comments.

But he is clearly close to the same quality as Stastny, at least offensively. St. Louis payed 7 million for Stastny, Nashville 1 million for Ribiero.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
You say one thing, the Avalanche's sub .500 record and 25th ranked power play say another.

You do realize an injury to the oft-injured John Mitchell has Michael Sgarbossa centering the Avalanche's third line tonight?

Do me a favor and edit the last part out.
Frenchy did not like it and maybe I went over the top a bit.
My point stands, though.

Yes . We are pretty thin at forward right now because of a crapload of injuries. Ribeiro is not a 3rd line center though. And he would not have been happy playing as one anyways. There is also no reason why he would have signed with Colorado rather than Nashville.

There are so many valid reasons for criticism.
Not getting a lockerroom problem that we absolutely did not need is not one of them.
So no I do not think that you were right and I still believe that the Avs made the right decision on not getting Ribeiro.
His output with Nashville does not concern me at all because he would not have gotten those numbers with Colorado.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Riberio had to beg Nashville to take. Don't act like he was some sort of all star.

Arizona is starving offensively, and they paid money they don't have to get him off the team.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

That's the Leafs mentality the past couple of years. Raymond last year. Booth, Santoreilli this year.

Sure they were productive, but in the end they didn't help the Leafs win anymore games because they were on a bargain contract.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He just got bought out for fun? I don't understand how that part is debatable. Anyone can look good in a small sample size. Let's give it some more time before making grand conclusions.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Were there public comments? He is obviously an agitator on the ice, and even admitted to personal problems after Maloney's comments.

But he is clearly close to the same quality as Stastny, at least offensively. St. Louis payed 7 million for Stastny, Nashville 1 million for Ribiero.

Oh yes , they said he has/had off ice problems but no one knows what they are.
The only thing they added , was that those problems diminish a little bit as soon as Mike got married . Why do you think Montréal traded Ribeiro for the next Bobby Orr Janne Niinimaa ? Montréal wanted to get rid of him , and fast

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Do me a favor and edit the last part out.
Frenchy did not like it and maybe I went over the top a bit.
My point stands, though.

Yes . We are pretty thin at forward right now because of a crapload of injuries. Ribeiro is not a 3rd line center though. And he would not have been happy playing as one anyways. There is also no reason why he would have signed with Colorado rather than Nashville.

There are so many valid reasons for criticism.
Not getting a lockerroom problem that we absolutely did not need is not one of them.
So no I do not think that you were right and I still believe that the Avs made the right decision on not getting Ribeiro.
His output with Nashville does not concern me at all because he would not have gotten those numbers with Colorado.

Third line center is a relative term. He could have been playing on the third line with McGinn and Briere at ES, but also getting power play time.

LA just won the cup with Stoll and Richards as the third and fourth line centers, somehow co-existing behind Kopitar and Carter. Great teams have great depth.

Nashville may not be a great team but they are atop the conference because of investment on return. Teams would not have an answer for the Avalanche's offense if they had to try to contain three top scoring centers, just like they couldn't last season when Duchene-Stastny-MacKinnon were on different lines.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Oh yes , they said he has/had off ice problems but no one knows what they are.
The only thing they added , was that those problems diminish a little bit as soon as Mike got married . Why do you think Montréal traded Ribeiro for the next Bobby Orr Janne Niinimaa ? Montréal wanted to get rid of him , and fast

I stand corrected.

But he was not the player he was with Dallas as he was in Montreal. He was a good offensive player, but hit his stride in Dallas - three 70+ point seasons in four years.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
That's the Leafs mentality the past couple of years. Raymond last year. Booth, Santoreilli this year.

Sure they were productive, but in the end they didn't help the Leafs win anymore games because they were on a bargain contract.

Ribeiro is on a different level than those guys.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
He just got bought out for fun? I don't understand how that part is debatable. Anyone can look good in a small sample size. Let's give it some more time before making grand conclusions.

He was bad, the team was bad. Factor in off-ice issues and his salary, and they cut him.

History says this is not just a hot start. Ribeiro was a point-per-game player with Washington (48 games, 49 points) and Dallas (461 games, 407 points).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

There's some reason he changes teams so often despite his points. And it isn't just because he's soft, and lazy defensively. *shrug* I think it's just a question of motivation with him and coaches get sick of having to do a ton just get him to give a ****, but that's a headache that everyone has gotten sick pretty quickly so far.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Why would you go for Ribeiro when you already have two very offensive minded centres that can't handle defensive responsibility. You can't have THREE of those.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think the Avs missed out on some good players this offseason, yes. But Ribeiro is not one of them. He's doing just fine for Nashville, but that doesn't mean he'd be a good fit for the Avs.

And don't downplay the character issues as if they're a non-factor. Even by his own admission he has them, and he hit such a rough patch following his divorce that cash-strapped Arizona chose to buy him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad