Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXVIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I was forgetting other teams have crap to get rid of too.

Anyone hear of the Oilers trade? Is it just another crap for crap deal?

Yeah, pretty much. The most notable thing about Lain is that he's frickin' HUGE, and he also had his NHL debut spoiled last season in that whole line brawl/Torts storming the Calgary locker room incident.

Also may have been a move to give Acton a chance to pursue his career somewhere other than where his old man is employed.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
To reference the discussion in the previous thread about McGinn:

I'm not sure I'm following your logic here, but I'm not exactly sure what you're saying either.

We agree on the final point output, but the 1 point in 8 games thing threw me off. He's going to improve on that pace, but I guess maybe you were saying it's unlikely he improves on that 35-40 point final output we usually see?

Either way, doesn't it make sense though that losing McGinn without replacing him makes losing O'Reilly without replacing him even worse? Now you're faced with trying to replace both via UFA.

35-40 point players are not that hard to find in UFA. not so hard that if an offer came in for say mcginn + for martin or something similar, i'm not saying no to that.

ROR definitely is hard to replace.

Yes. Not only is McGinn streaky, but the overall output is not difficult to replace. We saw many talented forwards traded for very little last season.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yes. Not only is McGinn streaky, but the overall output is not difficult to replace. We saw many talented forwards traded for very little last season.

Agreed.

And streaky is a vastly overused term when it comes to players, but in McGinn's case it truly applies. McGinn is also a bit of a defensive liability, so when he's not scoring he's little more than an energy/banger-type forward.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
So when will we trade O'Reilly. I want this guy gone, he looks like he could care less out there.

m0ngr31

So when will we trade O'Reilly. I want this guy gone, he looks like he could care less out there.

I hope Sakic is on the phone right now. If they are legitimately wanting to get rid of him, they are probably waiting for him to score a few goals to increase his value.

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
My concern is they will delay trading him until they get pennies on the dollar. Trade him now for a couple good assets and save yourself the headache.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
They are not wanting to get rid of ROR.
Get this idea out of your heads.

The time to trade him was last offseason and they passed and even gave him a very stupid contract just to keep him "happy".

It clearly did not work but pretty sure they still love him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Yea I'm pretty done with him too.

It's a good thing I'm not GM of this team, because I am so sick of him not showing up for games I would have just traded him to get him the hell out of here. He's doing just enough to get by and nothing else. How a guy can play so hard his first five years, then get his deal that takes him to UFA, and then all of a sudden completely stop working hard and watch his team lose every night is beyond me.

It's like he's doing it for spite, or purposefully to force a trade. I don't think that's actually it, but I can't for the life of me figure out what else it is, unless there's some really, really heavy crap going on in his personal life.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'm all for Colorado adding two puck moving defensemen.

Since switching styles, I never feel like the Avs have coverage issues or have trouble on the PK; it's making passes out of the zone, which leads to getting pinned defensively.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
I know it won't happen, but Iggy needs to waive his NMC. I don't hate him or anything, and he hasn't been really terrible, but it just isn't a good fit here. I don't believe it is an issue of starting slow either. I just don't think he fits our style of play at all. He needs someone that is going to be able to protect the puck and let him get into the right spot, like a Joe Thornton, Toews, or Kopitar type, not rushing end to end and turning the puck over time and time again.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
To reference the discussion in the previous thread about McGinn:

That was a flukey deadline that was basically derailed by Gillis dangling Kesler to everyone and then not moving him. He held up all the moves until the last minute and then everyone just scrambled to make a deal.

You can find a McGinn type player in UFA but it's going to cost you, and it's pretty tough to get a team to part with a mid 20's guy like that during the season. You can get a similar player as a rental from a team in sell mode, but then you're throwing assets at a rental.

There's a few guys that are UFA's this year that could definitely replace his role. Glenncross, Frolik, Foligno, just to name a few. The idea I'm trying to get across with trading McGinn is that it's dangerous to just expect you will land one of those guys.

It's not just the idea of losing McGinn without replacing him sufficiently. It's compounded by the uncertainty over losing O'Reilly to UFA, or what kind of deal will be made for him. They just have to be careful.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
If we're afraid of trading a 2nd/3rd line tweener because we don't think we can replace him, then we're never going to fix the defense. Period. At some point, you have to give a little to get a little. And I own a McGinn jersey, love the guy, but he's obviously a trading chip that needs to be used.

Everberg is going to get a shot at that role right now. He may not be as good offensively, but he does look like a stronger two way player than McGinn.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

Since switching styles, I never feel like the Avs have coverage issues or have trouble on the PK; it's making passes out of the zone, which leads to getting pinned defensively.

thing is the avs have 2 who will be ready for next year(bigras+siemens). might just have to suck it up this year and bounce back next year

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I sometimes wonder if you guys get a different feed of the game. ROR and Landy have finally started playing like themselves these past three games and just because we lose our first game back after a long break, like we always do, with our backup in net and best forward going down, so many people are being blind to it to continue the season long *****fest.

I guess I just don't understand the appeal of feeding that particular delusion. Yeah these avs aren't patty, foppy and joe's avs. Even if our kids become legends it won't be this year. Last year was crazy awesome, but the crazy part is a big part. There's much to learn and improve before that can be the standard. This year is a different kind of learning experience and they're finally starting to get it together depending on how fast varly gets back and how the team handles Tanguay being out.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
If we're afraid of trading a 2nd/3rd line tweener because we don't think we can replace him, then we're never going to fix the defense. Period. At some point, you have to give a little to get a little. And I own a McGinn jersey, love the guy, but he's obviously a trading chip that needs to be used.

Everberg is going to get a shot at that role right now. He may not be as good offensively, but he does look like a stronger two way player than McGinn.

Trade ROR. That guy has been a slug this season. Get rid of him and his ridiculous "business savvy".

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I sometimes wonder if you guys get a different feed of the game. ROR and Landy have finally started playing like themselves these past three games and just because we lose our first game back after a long break, like we always do, with our backup in net and best forward going down, so many people are being blind to it to continue the season long *****fest.

I guess I just don't understand the appeal of feeding that particular delusion. Yeah these avs aren't patty, foppy and joe's avs. Even if our kids become legends it won't be this year. Last year was crazy awesome, but the crazy part is a big part. There's much to learn and improve before that can be the standard. This year is a different kind of learning experience and they're finally starting to get it together depending on how fast varly gets back and how the team handles Tanguay being out.

What is ROR doing well? Besides squeezing every penny out of the organization that he can.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'd hate to see McGinn go but I can see the logic. But I want any trade to be for the future first and not a bandaid. This team isn't one trade away from being significantly better. If injuries continue and cap space becomes one as well they might have to trade O'Reilly for financial relief too.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

The one play that sticks in my head, and likely will all season, was in the 3rd when Holden was trying to break out with the puck and seemingly had his head up.... Made a pass up the left wall right to Jon Carlson.... Please, if anything needs to happen, it's to get Holden the **** out of Colorado

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
All good guys. Avs have been in on every defenseman available recently. What else can you really ask for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad