Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think it's because Avs brass still fears the Brett Clark era.

Fears or loves? I'm not sure they ever really changed their model.

Yeah, they've pulled a Brett Clark several times now. Guenin, Holden, and Brad Stuart are all Brett Clark-esque IMHO. Wilson too. None of those contracts are back-breakers but Clark's wasn't either.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
From what I remember there was a period when every Avs defender was being overpaid at around 4 million. Clark, Skrastins, Hannan, etc... Now all our D are below that figure and probably better than Clark and Skrastins. So basically imo Avs are avoiding overpaying significantly for D. Holden at $1.5 million or even Stuart at 3.25 is not the same as Brett Clark at $4 million.

Larry Hoover

Sep 16, 2012
Would something around Gardiner for ROR be possible? Leafs would add, but not a significant asset IMO.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Would something around Gardiner for ROR be possible? Leafs would add, but not a significant asset IMO.

Damn i hate trade proposals, everyone just assumes you dont know a damn thing.
I look at trades this way if its something you would hate to lose like really hate it, then thats what we want.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Oh boy people are gonna be disappointed with the return the day ROR is traded. Expectations are through the roof.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't expect a top name for O'Reilly anymore, not at this point. But it's not going to be the garbage that other teams keep trying to peddle in every trade proposal. We do it too.

Probably similar close to UFA established NHL player or close to NHL ready prospect.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs aren't going to make a disappointing trade involving O'Reilly with nearly two years left on his contract.

It might happen next summer or later than that, but not now. If he's traded early, it's because the return is good.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
I won't be surprised if ROR doesn't get traded and I don't think he will, nor do I want him traded.

Last edited:

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
What are you honest expectations? or what do you think his value is?

Something like Gardiner+ sounds reasonable. It was different when he had RFA status at the end of his deal. Everyone knows he is nearly impossible to sign and will bolt to FA no matter what. We are not in a good spot unfortunately. It's gonna suck getting so little for Stastny and O'Reilly combined.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Something like Gardiner+ sounds reasonable. It was different when he had RFA status at the end of his deal. Everyone knows he is nearly impossible to sign and will bolt to FA no matter what. We are not in a good spot unfortunately. It's gonna suck getting so little for Stastny and O'Reilly combined.

Watch that promising core dwindle away

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Gardiner isn't very good. I'd rather hang on to O'Reilly for two years and let him walk than have five years of Gardiner. Gardiner is basically Leddy. Great skater, weak defensively and soft. Decent, but not great offensively.

If Avs fans have problems with how Barrie plays, they'd hate Gardiner. Barrie at least have great offensive instincts to compensate for him being below average in the defensive zone.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If ROR does end up walking Roy will just sign Radulov like he got iginla to replace Staz. Party's on top of this.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Just as expectations were put in check regarding Downie's value, so too will be the ROR expectations.

While there are some ridiculous lowball offers in that main thread, there are also some seriously high expectations as well.

I do enjoy reading through there though and am often most entertained at how adamant people get about how they "know" what their teams will and will not be willing to part with.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Gardiner isn't very good. I'd rather hang on to O'Reilly for two years and let him walk than have five years of Gardiner. Gardiner is basically Leddy. Great skater, weak defensively and soft. Decent, but not great offensively.

If Avs fans have problems with how Barrie plays, they'd hate Gardiner. Barrie at least have great offensive instincts to compensate for him being below average in the defensive zone.

I think once he has a coach who isn't actively working against him (and Rielly) you'll see his true worth. I imagine Tyson Barrie would land in Carlyle's doghouse in no time, Roy at least knows what he can and can't do and puts him in a position to succeed. I don't think Carlyle's system does anything at all to compensate for d-men who want to join the rush.

I don't think Gardiner's getting traded anyhow. He'd have been dealt before any extension was signed. IMO the extension merely means he'll outlast Carlyle, which would've been shocking to me a year ago, not so much now.

Avalanche2133

May 16, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
I know Nashville is in the same division but they make a good trade partner. Loaded with defense and need a top center.

To Colorado
Seth Jones or Roman Josi
Richard Clune

To Nashville
Ryan Oreilly
Ryan Wilson
3rd round pick

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I know Nashville is in the same division but they make a good trade partner. Loaded with defense and need a top center.

To Colorado
Seth Jones or Roman Josi
Richard Clune

To Nashville
Ryan Oreilly
Ryan Wilson
3rd round pick

NSH is probably more willing to trade Colin Wilson
But yeah too bad its within the division...

now if you can convince a third party (pref. an eastern team) to do a threeway...

you get ______ from NSH plus your _____
then you ROR

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

To Colorado
Seth Jones or Roman Josi
Richard Clune

To Nashville
Ryan Oreilly
Ryan Wilson
3rd round pick

LOL. Nashville would not do that trade.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Reasonable my ass. Dude has been getting scratched and when he does play he gets ripped apart for how he does.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
i'm usually pretty conservative on trade returns but i think we can get more than that.

Like what?

but i'd have thought so about our 4 previous trades..

I tend towards the conservative on trade returns also, particularly when compared to other proposals by our crew in here. But then again, I think I don't believe I have a propensity to grossly overrate our players and/or prospects either.

I believe the Avs are in a tough position with O'Reilly in terms of a trade. Yes, he has value, but every month that goes by as he gets closer to UFA status, his trade value decreases. And given the he's almost certainly going to test the UFA market as soon as he possibly can, his trade value decreases. And given he's scored but 1 even strength goal in 15 games this season and has generally not played all that well so far this season, his trade value decreases. (I'll be nice and skip any reference to the Selke-caliber defense). ;)

In short, right here and right now, Ryan O'Reilly's trade value has never been lower.

The other thing that makes this tough for Colorado, is that 1st/2nd pairing puck-moving defensemen (which is what the Avs desperately need the most) are probably the most valuable commodity in the NHL right now. Most certainly more so than a scoring wing who plays solid defense. So even leaving names aside for a moment, teams trading for XXX defenseman are going to likely have to give up more than YYY forward. In other words, a 1st pairing wing will *not* get you a 1st pairing defenseman. It just won't happen anymore. Two, three years ago, maybe. Now? I very much doubt it. IMO.

So, the Avs are in a tough position. They clearly don't want to sell low, which is what they'd be doing by moving O'R now, due to his play so far this season. But if they wait until next Summer, any possible trade partner would have one less year of O'R under contract, hence his trade value will be less then as well. And since they really need to trade for the most valuable commodity in hockey, they're almost certainly going to take a "less" return in the first place.

Tough position indeed.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Reasonable my ass. Dude has been getting scratched and when he does play he gets ripped apart for how he does.

I'm not for a moment advocating Gardiner. I've seen him play a few times, and my impressions are that while his skating is surely top-shelf, the rest of his game is….. meh. Not awful overall, but nothing special. Perhaps I've missed his turd games. But then again, he's never really played on a good team, so who knows?

But, my best expectations for a return for O'R are a decent 2nd pairing defenseman and a decent forward prospect. If Gardiner is not a decent 2nd pairing defenseman, fine. Let's go find another one. But I don't see a way that we're going to get a player with 1st pairing skill or pedigree. Just don't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Empoli vs AS Roma
    Empoli vs AS Roma