Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Leddy isn't as impressive as people like to think. We also have no need for a 2nd/3rd pairing left handed PMD. 1st pairing LHD or nothing.

And I don't see a PTO hurting, just really odd to use a PTO on a recent draft pick playing AHL/ECHL hockey. Isn't that more of an ATO?

He could become a first pairing d-man eventually, a Brian Campbell mold. He's the same draft/age as Barrie but already has four seasons under his belt.

umdieecke*

Leddy isn't as impressive as people like to think. We also have no need for a 2nd/3rd pairing left handed PMD. 1st pairing LHD or nothing.

And I don't see a PTO hurting, just really odd to use a PTO on a recent draft pick playing AHL/ECHL hockey. Isn't that more of an ATO?

Not true. He's better than anything the Avs have aside from Johnson and Barrie. But it comes down to what he would cost. But he would definitely be an upgrade and shouldn't be matter-of-factly ruled out. If you wouldn't have to give up a ton to get him, you could be buying low on a player that has upside and hasn't hit his prime yet.

He's actually better than many seem to think because of all the complaining from Hawks fans. But the Hawks fans are spoiled by having Keith, Seabrook, and Hjalmarsson.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Not true. He's better than anything the Avs have aside from Johnson and Barrie. But it comes down to what he would cost. But he would definitely be an upgrade and shouldn't be matter-of-factly ruled out. If you wouldn't have to give up a ton to get him, you could be buying low on a player that has upside and hasn't hit his prime yet.

He's actually better than many seem to think because of all the complaining from Hawks fans. But the Hawks fans are spoiled by having Keith, Seabrook, and Hjalmarsson.

Hejda is better than Leddy right now. Leddy also has no spot on this team unless we put him on the 1st pairing, which would just show a lack of depth on our team and further prevent EJ from succeeding.

Hawks fans overrate Leddy, not underrate.

umdieecke*

Hejda is better than Leddy right now. Leddy also has no spot on this team unless we put him on the 1st pairing, which would just show a lack of depth on our team and further prevent EJ from succeeding.

Hawks fans overrate Leddy, not underrate.

[MOD]You must have no recollection of the Avs downfall in the playoffs. Hejda is old and slow. It's a skating league. As much as people want to posture and laugh at the Avs defying the puck possession stats, the sad reality is that it was their downfall in the playoffs. They couldn't clear the puck. They were constantly playing in their own zone. It's shocking how people struggle grasping that having a defenseman, who can move the puck up the ice, can help with what was their biggest weakness in the playoffs.

[MPD]In the other thread, you said Johnson had to do it all himself with Hejda as his partner but here you're saying he's better than Leddy, who played on a team deep in defenseman (especially in relative terms). You're trying to have it both ways. You say Hejda was so bad Johnson was doing it himself but then, [MOD] you turn around and say Hejda is better than a defenseman who played significant minutes on a team that had good defenseman. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

member 116861

[MOD]You must have no recollection of the Avs downfall in the playoffs. Hejda is old and slow. It's a skating league. As much as people want to posture and laugh at the Avs defying the puck possession stats, the sad reality is that it was their downfall in the playoffs. They couldn't clear the puck. They were constantly playing in their own zone. It's shocking how people struggle grasping that having a defenseman, who can move the puck up the ice, can help with what was their biggest weakness in the playoffs.

It's laughable that, in the other thread, you said Johnson had to do it all himself with Hejda as his partner but here you're saying he's better than Leddy, who played on a team deep in defenseman (especially in relative terms). You're trying to have it both ways. You say Hejda was so bad Johnson was doing it himself but then, [MOD] you turn around and say Hejda is better than a defenseman who played significant minutes on a team that had good defenseman.[MOD]

[MOD]You also have to remember that Hejda was injured during the playoffs so that was a big reason for his poor play. Hejda couldn't clear the puck during the playoffs but that kind of happens when you have a hand injury. To the second bolded part, yes Hejda had a terrible playoffs but you can't judge a player over a 7 game stretch especially if he was injured during that stretch.

Last edited by a moderator:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN 6 t
CSKA Moscow of the #KHL will be making a 1 year 5 million dollar offer directly to Ryan Johansen tonight. #BlueJackets #NHL

Farhan Lalji @FarhanLaljiTSN · 6 t
The CSKA offer is Johansen's 7th from a #KHL team. Can't see him considering any of them

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN 6 t
CSKA Moscow of the #KHL will be making a 1 year 5 million dollar offer directly to Ryan Johansen tonight. #BlueJackets #NHL

Farhan Lalji @FarhanLaljiTSN · 6 t
The CSKA offer is Johansen's 7th from a #KHL team. Can't see him considering any of them

Thats all?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Thats all?

i think that comes mostly tax free.

and not sure about KHL rules, but rich teams might not have the cap space; and poor teams not the money.

and 5 mil almost tax free is lot more than what he'll get here. would have to get closer to 8mil or something to get that much net money in NHL.

that said, i'd say double the offer and we can negotiate. he's not going to KHL for that money when even jackets goalie didn't, for larger sum of money.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If Leddy was that good, he wouldn't be the one Blackhawks are looking to trade. Quenneville hasn't trusted him to even play third pairing minutes against Boston last year (benched for most of the final games) or Kings this year.

I feel there is a general overrating of other teams defenders and underrating of our defenders among Avs fans. Not every defender on other NHL teams makes Avs better. I get that Avs defense isn't a strength and still something that has to improve but I don't see Leddy being a top four guy on a contending team.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I feel there is a general overrating of other teams defenders and underrating of our defenders among Avs fans. Not every defender on other NHL teams makes Avs better. I get that Avs defense isn't a strength and still something that has to improve but I don't see Leddy being a top four guy on a contending team.
Definitely. I think the guy this would apply to the most is Holden. He is 6'4, 24 or 25 years old,and put up 13 goals. If he did that on another team he would probably be penciled in the top-4 here as a potential acquisition, but since it was on the Avs people were still calling him a #6/7 defenceman in the summer.

I was guilty of buying the hype on Del Zotto and Kulikov. Even wanting them in a trade for ROR at one point while he was in the KHL. My GM career would have been so short lived with a trade like that, but when the defence was so bad for so long, every player looks like an upgrade.

The resurgence of every defenceman on the Avs under Roy has certainly cooled that desire to go after any name with some sort of hype behind it.

With the Avs heading towards contender status, it would be frustrating bringing in a young project. Hopefully the next piece is a defenceman who is EJ's age, and capable of playing next to him. Not one the Avs will have an outside chance of developing to play with him.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, Leddy's a left handed Elliott who's been forced to get minutes. We're fine without having yet another dman who can't defend in the lineup.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

[MPD]In the other thread, you said Johnson had to do it all himself with Hejda as his partner but here you're saying he's better than Leddy, who played on a team deep in defenseman (especially in relative terms). You're trying to have it both ways. You say Hejda was so bad Johnson was doing it himself but then, [MOD] you turn around and say Hejda is better than a defenseman who played significant minutes on a team that had good defenseman. [MOD]

I wish I saw this before Frenchy got at it :laugh:

I can have it both ways. Hejda was injured and ineffective, but when healthy he's better than Leddy and a better fit next to EJ.

Hejda/Stuart - EJ
Hejda/Stuart - Barrie
Holden - XXX

You can't put Leddy anywhere in this lineup unless you remove Holden. Roy won't be getting rid of Holden nor will he want to pay a price for a 3rd pairing defender when we have one and many other 3rd pairing defenders to use.

Leddy is not a solution to anything, he's more of the same just in a more offensive flavor than we're used to.

It's insane how many people overrate this guy.

I was guilty of buying the hype on Del Zotto and Kulikov.

If I remember correct, it was mostly just SEPH and I fighting the MDZ hype for awhile until around December or January. Kulikov would still be a good addition if at a reasonable price imo.

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
Sure, let's just get rid of assets for the fun of it!

we have expendable people now plus late draft picks like a 3rd or 2nd in 2016 lol

elliot, everberg, rendulic, hishon, etc
any of those plus picks id be okay with parting with.

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
We don't have a second in 2016 and any combo of that won't get Jagr plus we don't need to expend assets to get someone at his point in his career is playing on a year to year basis.

to each his own then.

I can't see a deadline deal for jagr being expensive and I think he would bring an amazing experience to the kids.

His legendary work ethic and experience of a hall of fame caliber would do even greater things for the group especially if Tangs is hurt. Jagr can still stick on a top 6 role too.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
to each his own then.

I can't see a deadline deal for jagr being expensive and I think he would bring an amazing experience to the kids.

His legendary work ethic and experience of a hall of fame caliber would do even greater things for the group especially if Tangs is hurt. Jagr can still stick on a top 6 role too.

Why would Tangs be hurt?

I'd welcome a Jagr trade, but considering he said he wouldn't be interested in playing if he was traded last year I think it's highly unlikely he moves out of NJ, especially when he has some of his czech buddies on the team.

He has no ties to our team in any manner either. I'm sure if he asked Lou to be moved, we wouldn't be on the shortlist.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Sure, it's a bit entertaining to think about trades, but point is, I'm 100% fine with the team we have. I want to see how it comes together. We can re-visit in January.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Sure, it's a bit entertaining to think about trades, but point is, I'm 100% fine with the team we have. I want to see how it comes together. We can re-visit in January.
I agree. Roy and Sakic have done a great job adding depth with size. Let's give them a chance to show what we have.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I wouldn't give up picks for Jagr but I'm cool with them giving up a 1st round pick+ for Sekera at some point this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad