Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This is starting to drag on at this point.

A little annoying too since as it went on the Avs seemed to be more and more the frontrunners with most of the rumors, until today where it seems like the Rags took that over.

Just hope it comes to an end one way or another today.

Mostly because of people reading too much into things and getting ahead of themselves. Divver said he heard a month ago we were front runners and a lot of people ran with it as us being the front runner right now and it only being a matter of time before he chose the Avs. Even in those other rumours you mention, it was mostly Avs and Bruins. Today Divver says "Rangers are in the thick of the bidding...." and people think he's going to the Rangers now..

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Same, the silence is obnoxious. I have no problem with him taking his time. It's a big decision. Just wish they'd set a date and or let teams know who is in and who is out.

Well the rumor was the date was yesterday, but who knows if that's true. Also appears that teams have been told they were out, we just don't know if that's the Avs yet.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Mostly because of people reading too much into things and getting ahead of themselves. Divver said he heard a month ago we were front runners and a lot of people ran with it as us being the front runner right now and it only being a matter of time before he chose the Avs. Even in those other rumours you mention, it was mostly Avs and Bruins. Today Divver says "Rangers are in the thick of the bidding...." and people think he's going to the Rangers now..

He wasn't the only one listing the Avs as one of the frontrunners, and he seems as credible as anyone related to the situation. There was too much smoke around them for it not to be true IMO.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He's had months to prepare and four days to talk to teams. I think he knows everything he would want to know by now. It's a bit like Suter/Parise dragging things on for no real reason. When pretty much every UFA of note is able to decide in one day, it feels a bit like putting on a show to wait this long.

Not that it matters. Every day in August is a bit slow so it doesn't matter when he makes up his mind.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't know if this has any credibility or not but might as well speculate on it.

@krufrank: Apparently it was the NYR who offered Kevin Hayes a pretty good deal. Good enough to make him want to sleep on it. COL/BOS/NYR left standing

This was from like 4 hours ago

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He's had months to prepare and four days to talk to teams. I think he knows everything he would want to know by now. It's a bit like Suter/Parise dragging things on for no real reason. When pretty much every UFA of note is able to decide in one day, it feels a bit like putting on a show to wait this long.

Not that it matters. Every day in August is a bit slow so it doesn't matter when he makes up his mind.

I know, it's career and it's his right to decide when he's ready. At least it's not McKenzie and the like getting involved but at this point he knows what he wants. If he want to play in Boston then just pick them! If he's liked the Avs for a while then what's changed? I think he's playing the finalists off on who he's actually going to pick

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Maybe he's really conflicted about his hometown team (Bruins), the team that might be the best fit (Avs), and the team that came in late but is now offering the best deal (Rangers). Who knows.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
It's getting a little nerve racking, but understandable that Hayes wants to be sure he makes the best decision for himself and his family...it bothers me that some of the Rags fans believe he's already signed/sealed and delivered...

I hope (selfishly) that he arrives at a decision soon, but I fear that if it goes in to tomorrow or later in the week that it will mean that he's deciding against the Avs...

Congo Jack

is a big fat mess.
Jun 28, 2011
Candy Apple Island
I love that every day the people on the main board say that some team has all but signed Hayes. First the Calgary fans were saying he was all but signed, then it was us and now it's the Rangers. I wonder who's next? Florida? Boston? Metallurg fans? The Cleveland Cavaliers somehow?

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Guess I really don't care that much. He would be nice to have, but in no way is he going to make the difference between a cup or no cup over the next few years. We already have a better version in McGinn. I actually care more about beating other teams than I do Hayes.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Guess I really don't care that much. He would be nice to have, but in no way is he going to make the difference between a cup or no cup over the next few years. We already have a better version in McGinn. I actually care more about beating other teams than I do Hayes.

It is rare to see a talent like Hayes become a FA. Former 1st round picks who fare very well at their respective junior levels are nothing to sniff at.
The chance to add a top notch talent like Hayes could potentially add to our core and further the goal of winning the cup.

With that said, he isn't guaranteed to pan out so maybe he is a top 6 guy and maybe he is nothing more than a AHL forward.
But the chance to grab him basically for free is not something to be overlooked.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014

What a ridiculous opinion... to start you can never have too many good players. Not to mention the fact that you automatically assume McGinn is better than Hayes before Hayes plays a second in the NHL.

Hayes will likely be better than McGinn in the next two years imo.... and if you can get him for free than you damn well better care.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If Hayes is worried about not getting top 6 minutes with the Avs, someone should show him the Avs past injury reports. He will play top two lines when bunch of players get hurt again.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It is rare to see a talent like Hayes become a FA. Former 1st round picks who fare very well at their respective junior levels are nothing to sniff at.
The chance to add a top notch talent like Hayes could potentially add to our core and further the goal of winning the cup.

With that said, he isn't guaranteed to pan out so maybe he is a top 6 guy and maybe he is nothing more than a AHL forward.
But the chance to grab him basically for free is not something to be overlooked.

The thing is, he isn't exactly a top-notch talent. His numbers sky rocketed this past season for one reason and one reason only: Johnny Gaudreau. He was simply average during his other seasons of college hockey. Now, he may turn into a legitimate top 6 forward, or become a bottom 6'er, or just an AHL forward, nobody knows, but he didn't exactly light up college hockey on his own.

With that being said, do we really want this guy? We should know more than anyone else what a player with contract demands looks like having Ryan O'Reilly on this team. What if he's the exact same way? I surely don't want to deal with that

m0ngr31

With that being said, do we really want this guy? We should know more than anyone else what a player with contract demands looks like having Ryan O'Reilly on this team. What if he's the exact same way? I surely don't want to deal with that

His situation isn't anything like ROR's. It's pretty much a free 1st round pick, what's not to want? If he doesn't pan out it's not like we gave up anything for him. ;)

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The thing is, he isn't exactly a top-notch talent. His numbers sky rocketed this past season for one reason and one reason only: Johnny Gaudreau. He was simply average during his other seasons of college hockey. Now, he may turn into a legitimate top 6 forward, or become a bottom 6'er, or just an AHL forward, nobody knows, but he didn't exactly light up college hockey on his own.

$900k is a pretty small price to pay for a guy who could be a decent middle 6er. Worst case, send him to the minors and cut ties in a couple years. It's as close to a no risk situation as you can get.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
$900k is a pretty small price to pay for a guy who could be a decent middle 6er. Worst case, send him to the minors and cut ties in a couple years. It's as close to a no risk situation as you can get.

I'm not saying I don't want the guy. I'm just saying if we don't get him, I won't care too much.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
His situation is different with regard to O'Reilly but I'm talking purely contract dispute. Fact is here's a kid who has held out for 4 years now, not wanting to sign a contract with the team that drafted him and a darn good one at that. O'Reilly's demands were money, this kid's demands are still unknown but some people speculate that it's playing time.

How do we know this guy isn't a cancer? How do we know this guy doesn't think of himself as the next big NHL superstar? It's all possible. Obviously I'd like it if we signed him, but IMO there is much more behind the story to this kid

Edit: I'm also not saying O'Reilly is a cancer in the dressing room. I think he's an outstanding teammate, but what he does with his contract issues could rub some people the wrong way. But O'Reilly had good-to-great seasons to earn those contracts that he wanted. Hayes has done nothing, and there is speculation that he's already got demands.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What? He hasn't held out signing a contract. You can't play NCAA hockey and have a contract. I'd question why the Blackhawks left a first rounder in college the entire 4 years anyway but I digress. I wouldn't make any determinations about his character one way or another, it's a unique situation.

Might change sone plans if we get him and it would be exciting that a free agent chooses us, especially over Boston and NY. Not gonna lie, that would be extra sweet. I'd completely understand why he wouldn't though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad