Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
It's not even about whether Briere will or won't play on the 4th line. It's that the Avs didn't talk him into waiving his NMC by offering him a better opportunity than Montreal gave him, and are now planning on letting Hayes push him down onto the 4th line.

The only way Hayes likes the Avs over the Hawks is if he's not at all worried about making a healthy line up this year in the top 9, and isn't looking for for much more assurances than the Hawks can give him in year two.

The Hawks will have to do something to swallow Toews and Kane's contracts. There will be just as big an opportunity as you can expect on the Avs.

I can pretty much guarantee we did not offer him a 3rd line role. You dont make promises you cant live up to. And there is no way we play Briere over someone that is better. He probably just wanted out of Montreal and we were the only possibility. He probably did not even fell like he would get an opportunity to even compete for a higher role in Montreal. That Im sure we promised- a chance to compete.

As for Chicago, look at their prospect pool. They are quite loaded. These are the guys Hayes will be competing with. And then look at ours. Hishon, who has major injury concerns. Bleackley, who is only 18. And a couple European wildcards.

Congo Jack

is a big fat mess.
Jun 28, 2011
Candy Apple Island
A bit more info on Sarichs accident

Ryan Boulding ‏@rboulding 5m
Sarich was struck by a motor vehicle while cycling and was airlifted to a hospital in Calgary, AB. His injuries are non-life threatening

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
I'm all for Hayes signing, but I think the chances are a little smaller with O'Reilly coming back. As someone else pointed out, we don't have any stud RW's now OR in the prospect system. Bleackley could be one, but I'm pretty sure he's a natural C. Either way, that's still only one guy, and he's a couple years away. I would love for them to make a run at him, because that gives the Avs more depth and a kid for the future. Briere, Tanguay, and Iginla are our top 3 RW's, and they're all old. Would be great to bring in yet another great piece for the future. Not to mention, Briere is probably gone after this only year.

O'Reilly - Duchene - Iginla
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Hayes
McGinn - Briere - Tanguay
Talbot - Mitchell - Winchester

extra: Cliche, McLeod, Bordeleau

Looks like a Stanley Cup capable offense to me IMO. But, two of our physical guys are out of the lineup, and correct me if I'm wrong but that's what Sakic wanted to do. One of Bordeleau or McLeod (preferably Bordy because the opponents really feel it when he hits) should be in the lineup on a consistent basis. So, the point I'm trying to make is I don't know if the Avs will or should bring in Hayes.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
Sucks to hear about Sarich :/
Does anyone know if he any interest from teams as a free agent?

I know this isn't the thread for it, but I clicked on that Richardson related video at the end (with the Avs jersey in the thumbnail) and he describes a pretty funny prank Sakic pulled on him back when he was on the team :laugh:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think O'Reilly impacts Hayes at all. The Avs were never going to get rid of O'Reilly this season anyway plus top line LW position isn't what he's looking at and even if he did get traded a forward in some capacity was going to come back. The cap, contract limit and roster positions for this year are a consideration but they were before O'Reilly got sorted out. I think it's pretty clear Hayes doesn't see a future in Chicago, the question is do the Avs present him the best opportunity? Or would a team like Nashville that needs forward talent immediately be more appealing? How about somewhere like Pittsburgh if they are interested could be more attractive. He might not receive much of a guarantee from us regarding this year but it's pretty clear this team could certainly use a RW in the future. So which matters more to him, playing less now vs. a pretty good shot down the line? So we don't know what's the priority to Hayes.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
With less than 3M of cap space available and Barrie still unsigned, how are we supposed to afford Hayes?

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
O'Reilly - Duchene - Iginla
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Hayes
McGinn - Briere - Tanguay
Talbot - Mitchell - Winchester

That 3rd line has the potential to be the most productive 3rd line in the whole league. Even the 4th line is impressive. That's quite a lineup right there.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
With less than 3M of cap space available and Barrie still unsigned, how are we supposed to afford Hayes?

Our capgeek cap is composed of 14 FW, 9 D and 2 G. Adding Hays and Barrie means we have to shave 1 F and 3 D and bury them in the minors. With the players sent down (Wilson, Norau, Guenin, Cliche) we could save about 3M$. We would have close to 6M$ to sign Barrie and Hayes. After that we would have about 2M$ in cap space. We're fine.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
I don't know who, Bordy? Someone. Doesn't matter from a money standpoint because ELC is what max 925k and a team can write off up to 925k salary by sending them down so it's a wash.

Ew definitely not Bordy. Wilson, Cliche, Noreau, and Guenin for me. Those are the most useless guys for me. Maybe not Noreau but I'd prefer giving Elliott a shot over him.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
That 3rd line has the potential to be the most productive 3rd line in the whole league. Even the 4th line is impressive. That's quite a lineup right there.

If Hayes does come, which I'm all for, then that pushes a valuable checker out of the lineup. I'm one of the proponents of having a tough guy in the lineup to finish his checks and stand up for the all stars. I think Bordeleau should be in the lineup on a daily basis. It doesn't hurt to give him 5 minutes a night. When he hits people, you can tell they feel it. I'm not saying I love seeing people get hurt, but it slows them down out there, and that's why I think Bordeleau is of value to the Avs.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I can pretty much guarantee we did not offer him a 3rd line role. You dont make promises you cant live up to. And there is no way we play Briere over someone that is better. He probably just wanted out of Montreal and we were the only possibility. He probably did not even fell like he would get an opportunity to even compete for a higher role in Montreal. That Im sure we promised- a chance to compete.

As for Chicago, look at their prospect pool. They are quite loaded. These are the guys Hayes will be competing with. And then look at ours. Hishon, who has major injury concerns. Bleackley, who is only 18. And a couple European wildcards.

WIth all due respect, I don't think you can guarantee that.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Ew definitely not Bordy. Wilson, Cliche, Noreau, and Guenin for me. Those are the most useless guys for me. Maybe not Noreau but I'd prefer giving Elliott a shot over him.

Well only because Roy likes 8D so two forwards have to go. Maybe Winchester then. It wouldn't be an easy decision.

I'm not even sure Bordy can play all the time as it stands now. I understand the benefits of him and Roy did play him every game but someone has to sit. McLeod? I know he has an A but Roy didn't sign new guys for them to sit around, some tough decisions have to be made.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
We're like the reverse Chicago. They have a massive bottleneck of talented players at all positions. We have a massive bottleneck of European transplants and depth players on one way contracts.

Hayes could easily see a spot here in the top 9 on a promising young team, since the players he is competing against are so much worse than those in Chicago.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
WIth all due respect, I don't think you can guarantee that.

"Pretty much". Basically, anything short of an actual guarantee. It would just be straight stupid to promise a bigger role to some washed up player. You let them know that they will have ever chance to earn the biggest role they possibly can and that the younger guys or "managements guys" won't get special treatment. But you certainly don't promise any sort of playing time.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
"Pretty much". Basically, anything short of an actual guarantee. It would just be straight stupid to promise a bigger role to some washed up player. You let them know that they will have ever chance to earn the biggest role they possibly can and that the younger guys or "managements guys" won't get special treatment. But you certainly don't promise any sort of playing time.

They're not promising him a spot. They're giving him an assurance somehow that he'll have a bigger role with the team, and a spot somewhere in the top 9. That's the kind of impression he'd have to get to waive his NMC.

They're not trading PAP for a guy they plan on starting on the 4th line. They've talked up Briere the same way they've talked up Stuart. Roy has also said the lines he hopes to have, and Briere is on the 3rd line with Mitchell and McGinn.

That's where he'll start. They didn't have to make any guarantees that they'll keep him there all season. If he sucks something fierce and somebody is playing better than him, he'll find his way onto the 4th line.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Promise, assurance , call it whatever you want. We are talking about the same thing.

"He will find his way onto the 4th line"? Your entire argument is that he will be the 3rd line RW and Hayes has no chance at surpassing him. So which is it? Is he set on the 3rd line or can he be passed by someone better?

And how exactly do you know why Briere waived his no trade clause? You talk about this as of its a fact.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
So are we all pretty much thinking that Condon will not be signed by us? I mean don't we have like 49 contracts?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Promise, assurance , call it whatever you want. We are talking about the same thing.

"He will find his way onto the 4th line"? Your entire argument is that he will be the 3rd line RW and Hayes has no chance at surpassing him. So which is it? Is he set on the 3rd line or can he be passed by someone better?

And how exactly do you know why Briere waived his no trade clause? You talk about this as of its a fact.

We're getting to the point where it seems like you want to just argue over everything and I don't have the energy for that. Briere will start on the 3rd line not the 4th. Roy knows this, Briere knows this, and Hayes knows this. To use your words, I pretty much guarantee it. :p:

Last edited:

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Ew definitely not Bordy.

This. Bordy won't be sent down in the minors. Roy likes to have a tough guy in the lineup and Bordy is NHL material (if not with the AVS then with another team). Most guys doing his "job" are much worse than him at actually playing hockey.

I honestly don't see who they'll send down. We'll lose Elliott to the waivers if we send him down and I'd feel bad for Hishon too.

Also, there was no point to sign Noreau and Winchester if we send them to LE, so they'll most likely start the season with the big boys.

That's kind of a problem actually. I see a lot of healthy scratch candidates this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad