Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Pondering this over lunch, it's going to be difficult for any team to keep more than 2 stars. Anaheim pays Getz and Perry well and everyone else pennies. If the Avs want to keep more than two they'll need to bank on someone maintaining a team friendly deal through their career. Maybe Duchene will. But it's going to be unrealistic for them to keep 4. If O'Reilly needs to be paid like a star I don't think it will ever work here. That's even if they bust the structure now to retain him. The Oilers are going to have to choose two (Hall, RNH probably) and build complimentary pieces around them. The Avs are likely going to be faced with this decision too. They can't bank on 4 players on 6m deals (8m or whatever it will be in a few years). They would be very very lucky to do so.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Pondering this over lunch, it's going to be difficult for any team to keep more than 2 stars. Anaheim pays Getz and Perry well and everyone else pennies. If the Avs want to keep more than two they'll need to bank on someone maintaining a team friendly deal through their career. Maybe Duchene will. But it's going to be unrealistic for them to keep 4. If O'Reilly needs to be paid like a star I don't think it will ever work here. That's even if they bust the structure now to retain him. The Oilers are going to have to choose two (Hall, RNH probably) and build complimentary pieces around them. The Avs are likely going to be faced with this decision too. They can't bank on 4 players on 6m deals (8m or whatever it will be in a few years). They would be very very lucky to do so.

Anaheim is a budget team, that's why they can only pay two stars. Chicago and Los Angeles have more than that. Edmonton could keep all theirs if they would just quit paying stupid money to marginal players.

With the cap going up Colorado could conceivably lock everyone up just fine, but I think ROR is being a tad unrealistic if he wants superstar money.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

If the Avs can get ROR locked up for 5-7 years, they can have an awesome lineup for at least 4 years. MacK, EJ, and Barrie will be the only major raises, which can possibly be absorbed by a rising cap and replacing vets with good drafting. ROR has to get a reasonable deal though.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Nothing wrong with saying the Avs have had a bad offseason--that's indisputable. But it would be nice to see some pundits take a more measured approach and realize that not every team needs to automatically SPEND SPEND SPEND in order to become a contender, and sometimes teams have to make tough decisions.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Nothing wrong with saying the Avs have had a bad offseason--that's indisputable. But it would be nice to see some pundits take a more measured approach and realize that not every team needs to automatically SPEND SPEND SPEND in order to become a contender, and sometimes teams have to make tough decisions.

IMO you can't fully judge an offseason until at least midway through the following season.

Last year the Avs were pretty quiet when it came to moves with only 1 small/medium trade and some small signings, but they had one of the strongest of anybody since they didn't spend huge money and found valuable players that played large roles.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

I feel Avs had a fantastic offseason. Upgraded in every facet.

And the Avs are spending...nearly to the cap.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

While the article could have used a few more details and explanations of why the writer did not favor the moves, the underlying structure is there for a very valid argument.

Iginla often looked slow in the East. Now he's back in the West.
Stuart has looked pretty awful by all accounts.
Briere has been shaky for a while.
Holden, Redmond, Winchester, etc are all underwhelming signings (I do love the Redmond one however)
Avs took a bath on the PAP deal.
Add in the Berra trade, which I supported, but it was a value loss + Stastny walking over likely 250-500k AAV, and it is a very poor looking off season (at least on paper).

I will just sit fingers crossed that Sakic and Roy prove again how much smarter they are than I am.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

I'm fine with people writing that, but put some damn research into it, rather than just seeing someone who is 37 and saying they are in decline, or someone who you don't know and just writing them off. Show some proof that Iginla is in "obvious decline" or that Zack Redmond is a bad signing. It's just crappy writing.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If the Avs can get ROR locked up for 5-7 years, they can have an awesome lineup for at least 4 years. MacK, EJ, and Barrie will be the only major raises, which can possibly be absorbed by a rising cap and replacing vets with good drafting. ROR has to get a reasonable deal though.

That's the key though or else it won't work.

I don't put much stock in the east coast writers writing the Avs off. The a Iginla criticism is ridiculous. If he went to an east coast or a cup run team they'd be talking about how he was the missing piece. I've read several columns from Boston with great tears over losing Iginla. Hardly the washed up mistake they claim he is now.

Many people wanted PA to go for a 7th round pick and the 4 million in cap space next year might be worth it's weight in gold. After Sarich and Benoit didn't sink the team last year I'm not worried about marginal signings. The only way to "win" free agency from a reporter standpoint is to land the big overpaid vets.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
While the article could have used a few more details and explanations of why the writer did not favor the moves, the underlying structure is there for a very valid argument.

Iginla often looked slow in the East. Now he's back in the West.
Stuart has looked pretty awful by all accounts.
Briere has been shaky for a while.
Holden, Redmond, Winchester, etc are all underwhelming signings (I do love the Redmond one however)
Avs took a bath on the PAP deal.
Add in the Berra trade, which I supported, but it was a value loss + Stastny walking over likely 250-500k AAV, and it is a very poor looking off season (at least on paper).

I will just sit fingers crossed that Sakic and Roy prove again how much smarter they are than I am.

It has been reported that the Avs' final offer came in at 6 years $35M, AAV being 5.83ish...so he most definitely walked away because the gap was about $1.2M a year difference. Sure we gave more term, but Stastny signing for 4 years should still allow him a decent contract at the age of 32 if he plays like we all know he's capable of playing.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
It has been reported that the Avs' final offer came in at 6 years $35M, AAV being 5.83ish...so he most definitely walked away because the gap was about $1.2M a year difference. Sure we gave more term, but Stastny signing for 4 years should still allow him a decent contract at the age of 32 if he plays like we all know he's capable of playing.

I think form what little info came out it is reasonable to think 6 @ 6.25m would have sealed his re-signing. That is less than 500k

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Schneider rocks, so happy he's not in Vancouver anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad