Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I sure hope you are right.

It's certainly possible. It really was just this past year that he was bad.

I really wouldn't be surprised if he had a resurgence here, especially if the third is used as a third attacking option. Both McGinn and Briere seem to do a lot of their best work around the net, and if Mitchell is on the third then he can just dangle and randomly fire shots on net to have those two clean things up.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I really wouldn't be surprised if he had a resurgence here

Habs fans say that when he plays center and actually get some ice time he's still a pretty good hockey player. He just sucks when playing wing and shouldn't play on the 4th line.

If that's true (and I believe it is) then he could have a good, surprising season if he's centering the 3rd line. As long as Roy don't play him on the wing.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Habs fans say that when he plays center and actually get some ice time he's still a pretty good hockey player. He just sucks when playing wing and shouldn't play on the 4th line.

If that's true (and I believe it is) then he could have a good, surprising season if he's centering the 3rd line. As long as Roy don't play him on the wing.

This is why I can see us rolling three scoring lines. We don't really use a traditional shut-down third line checking line. What Briere has left will be maximized by having at least one other player on his line who has offensive talent.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
This is why I can see us rolling three scoring lines. We don't really use a traditional shut-down third line checking line. What Briere has left will be maximized by having at least one other player on his line who has offensive talent.

I'd like to see what a McGinn-Briere-Tangs line can do. I could see Briere having good chemistry with Tangs for some reason. Not sure who would replace Tangs on the 2nd line though.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Insert incompetent management group comment here.

On the bright side, if a top defender ever does hit UFA status, you would have to think Sakic and Co would be aggressive given what they've apparently offered Orpik.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not sure if you guys read the main board but apparently the AVS offered more for Orpik than what the Caps' offered. WTH? He's by far the worst UFA signing this year. Did we dodge a bullet here or what?

It really seems like management was trying to take a huge step forward with the defensive core as it looks like Orpik was still in play after Stuart was already here.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
BtVSCv1CQAAa-gk.jpg

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
there are lot of fake ones. that's the real one. he also deleted that tweet pretty quickly. lol.

Ooh, that is funny then.

I should venture into that fancy Twittersphere one day I guess. Just for EJ and Luongo's humor alone I could justify finally getting a "so smart it makes me feel dumb" phone.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The Brooks Oprik/Avalanche situation gets more fright inducing as more time passes.

He'll probably bounce back from last year and overall would have improved Colorado's defense, but not for five years. Orpik has two, maybe three good seasons left in the tank (and not at a 5.5 million clip, no matter what the salary cap looks like).

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The timeline doesn't match up though. The Avs had acquired Stuart relatively early on July 1st, much earlier than Orpik signing, if I remember correctly. They must have known they were out real quick.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The timeline doesn't match up though. The Avs had acquired Stuart relatively early on July 1st, much earlier than Orpik signing, if I remember correctly. They must have known they were out real quick.

Hard to say, TSN was reporting the Avs were still after Niskanen when they had already inherited both Stuart and Redmond.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

...or they wanted both. It is hard to decipher between the two.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

they had had almost week to talk by july 1st. and it seemed like orpik wanted to stay in the east. so they probably knew they were out of it by then.

i think they wanted iggy all along and plan was to keep ROR too. so stuart is the obvious odd man out for the avs to get under the cap.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
they had had almost week to talk by july 1st. and it seemed like orpik wanted to stay in the east. so they probably knew they were out of it by then.

i think they wanted iggy all along and plan was to keep ROR too. so stuart is the obvious odd man out for the avs to get under the cap.

That just doesn't fit with the rumors... All the rumors signal the Avs were in it until the very end with Orpik, but on the other hand, it doesn't make logical sense. :laugh:

IMO it seems to me they wanted both, but the Avs were going to make other moves to clear some space.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I can't imagine how they would have added Orpik and Stuart. I mean even doing something like buying out Hejda doesn't even make the cap make sense. There is something strange in the reports. I'm not saying those guys are lying but it just doesn't match up. Plus the whole point of not overpaying on a bad contract to maintain cap flexibility??

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I can't imagine how they would have added Orpik and Stuart. I mean even doing something like buying out Hejda doesn't even make the cap make sense. There is something strange in the reports. I'm not saying those guys are lying but it just doesn't match up. Plus the whole point of not overpaying on a bad contract to maintain cap flexibility??

hejda has value. no need to buy him out.

but with additions of orpik, stuart, and already having core player in holden on the left side, hejda would be the the odd man out. from cap perspective too.

but that also doesn't make that much sense as hejda is better than all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad