In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Continue here

So here's a recap of the last several pages of the previous thread: Kesler apparently had the Avalanche as one of the 6 teams he'd accept a trade to and Dater mentioned in his most recent podcast that the Canucks and Avs discussed a trade with the centerpieces being Kesler and Stastny. Also mentioned in that podcast: Louis Jean was actually right when it was the Avs who offered PAP for Bourque and Montreal turned it down, both he and Boulding are absolutely, unequivocally 100% in their belief that Parenteau will NOT be with the Avs at the start of next season and the Avs "still want that kid (Kulikov) from Florida"...

Carry on.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
If the Avs are going to lose Stastny, Kesler is an ideal replacement and probably an upgrade if he can stay healthy.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
As unrealistic as it might be, an O'Reilly-Duchene-Kesler line would be fun to watch.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
The only way I'd be ok with losing Stastny would be if we picked up Kesler, although I hate him. What I worry about is what else we'd have to give up... any way we can add PAP in there for Hansen? :naughty:

Glad to hear about PAP probably being moved out and the Avs still interested in Kulikov. It's weird, it seems like they are finally listening to me.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Dater is funny.

Stastny would rather sign straight with Vancouver and then either play with Kesler or with the new player that they got for him than sign with the AVS and then play with Kesler-less Canucks.

AND

The Canucks would rather sign Stastny as an UFA and keep Kesler so they can trade him for another good player.

Absolute nonsense. The AVS would have to **** both parties to pull that one and it's not going to happen.

You should fully expect Paul to ask for a NTC anyway.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Dater is funny.

Stastny would rather sign straight with Vancouver and then either play with Kesler or with the new player that they got for him than sign with the AVS and then play with Kesler-less Canucks.

AND

The Canucks would rather sign Stastny as an UFA and keep Kesler so they can trade him for another good player.

Absolute nonsense. The AVS would have to **** both parties to pull that one and it's not going to happen.

That is why the deal to get Kesler would revolve around PaP, Siemens and picks. Rights to Stastny can be thrown in.

Dater is an idiot for suggesting a Stastny-Kesler swap for the reasons you suggest.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If the Avs are going to lose Stastny, Kesler is an ideal replacement and probably an upgrade if he can stay healthy.

The last three years Kesler has scored 105 points in 171 games. Not even through the David Jones years did Stastny put up that low numbers.

Kesler isn't a particularly skilled player. He can skate and he can, at least that one year when everything clicked for him offensively, shoot. I think we've seen the best of him offensively and that was when Canucks were at their best and had the #1 ranked PP in the league.

Considering what the likely asking price is for a player of Keslers reputation, it doesn't make much sense to trade for him.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Been on the Kulikov train for a long time, would be a perfect fit IMO.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I like Kulikov, but I don't want to trade McGinn and I'm hesitant about trading Elliott without seeing him in the NHL much. If he can be had for PaP+, I'm thrilled.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I don't get it. Let's complain every single day for a year straight about defense but let's get rid of every single asset we have for a forward.

If Stastny is gone he needs a replacement, whereas on D I think they can target an FA like Markov and let the prospects develop. Another option would be to trade for Kulikov or another d-man, but then how do you replace Stastny? No FA matches his two way play. They can always just re-sign Stastny too, but his salary demands are probably too high.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
If Staz walks I think you have to be quick and trade for a dman before FA. That way you can potentially target multiple FAs to rebuild the forward depth.

You need to know sooner rather than later what Staz wants and if you are going to pay him that.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If Stastny is gone he needs a replacement, whereas on D I think they can target an FA like Markov and let the prospects develop. Another option would be to trade for Kulikov or another d-man, but then how do you replace Stastny? No FA matches his two way play. They can always just re-sign Stastny too, but his salary demands are probably too high.

You don't let prospects develop if you've traded them away. Also, you just keep PA. I know he's not the same type of player that Stastny is but he's a top 6 player and the easiest thing is just to move forward with MacKinnon at center. I understand maybe that's not ideal but does anyone really feel like this team is going to bring in a big ticket FA, either forward or defense? Also, if they were not prepared to put MacKinnon at center at this point they wouldn't have drafted him. Kesler is not worth the assets it would take when other options are free.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I've said this before since i've watched a lot of him in the AHL this year, but after 2 games of the Eastern Conference final in the AHL between the IceCaps and Penguins, I drool over the thoughts of getting Simon Despres. This guy brings it all. I would be willing to send away a lot to get him on this team. He's been arguably the best player overall over the first 2 games of the series. The only other players on his level are Brian Gibbons, Andrew Gordon and surprise 18 year old D Josh Morrissey who's game improves leaps day by day. The Jets have a fantastic player in Morrissey and I wouldn't be surprised to see him make the opening day roster next year. I'm sure RS probably saw it coming but I definitely had no idea he would be this good.

I also want to mention Zach Redmond's play. There's been a lot of talk here about maybe picking him up as a young UFA and i'm on board with the idea but I have to admit he has had a really bad playoff so far. He's putting up points but is giving the puck away time after time. If it wasn't for his partner Ben Chariot bailing him out the IceCaps may not even still be standing.

EDIT: I met Chuckie Kobasew the other night who is playing for the Pens. Pretty cool since he was wearing burgandy just a year ago. It's a shame that he's playing full time in the AHL now. He was hurt Wednesday night but played a great game Tuesday. I also met Pens Coach Bill Guerin which is pretty cool too!

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

The Avs don't have the trade assets (short of trading O'R/MacKinnon, etc) to get both Kesler and a 2nd pairing defenseman. Would much rather they get the defenseman.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
If only Luke Schenn wasn't making 3.6 million. I would be pretty excited if the Avs could get him for the 3rd pairing instead of Guenin, and take a crack at developing him. The good news about his contract is that it expires the same time as MacKinnon's and Johnson's, so he likely wouldn't become a bad contract in the sense that he is creating actual cap space problems.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Dater is funny.

AND

The only advantage to a sign and trade would be the 8th year for Stastny... well and maybe slightly less cap hit for Vancouver in that case.

Pretty much a pipe dream though. The best the Avs could muster out of that trade would be Stastny + Siemens + Conditional Pick (2015 1st if Stastny doesn't sign, 3rd otherwise) + another 2nd+ pick/prospect... That deal doesn't look good for either party honestly.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If Stastny is gone he needs a replacement, whereas on D I think they can target an FA like Markov and let the prospects develop.

Every single time someone mentions Markov it makes me scratch my head. At 36 (next year), he won't play until a prospect is good enough to become the #2 Dman on this team. He has a couple of years left (and not his best years, mind you). Markov with the AVS is like putting a bandaid on a broken leg. He's NOT the solution to fix the D.

What we need a #2 in his prime (24-30 years old) capable of playing for the next 5+ years and able to grow with the core of the team, not an old guy for one or two seasons (might as well keep Hedja who's exactly that). Hell, Markov' age is already showing during the current Habs' playoff run.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
No chance of that happening. Hamilton will be an elite #1 dman in a few seasons.

You think O'Reilly is better than Krejci?

More of a "need" area, O'Reilly is now the Avalanche Top-Line LW and if we were to trade him it wouldn't be for another Center because the Avalanche, at least long term, are set with Duchene and MacKinnon.

Defense is our need and Hamilton would be the major player of interest from the Avs.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
No chance of that happening. Hamilton will be an elite #1 dman in a few seasons.

You think O'Reilly is better than Krejci?

Then there really isn't a deal to be made there.

Yep. ROR is 5 years younger, plays better defense, more versatile, and has now shown he is a better goal scorer.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Then there really isn't a deal to be made there.

Yep. ROR is 5 years younger, plays better defense, more versatile, and has now shown he is a better goal scorer.

Agree to disagree. Krejci proven playoff performer aside from this season and doesnt get enough credit for defensive play.

I obviously like Krejci more than most just may cost too much for the Bruins next season as a UFA.

Avalanche are a very fun team to watch and will be scary in the future. Good luck next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad